modiz

Oct 8, 2018
web.archive.org

Gran Turismo 7 | Preview - GameOver

Επιστροφή στις ρίζες. Μια πρώτη ματιά σε αυτά που ετοιμάζει η Polyphony Digital για το Gran Turismo 7 στο PlayStation 5.

This is according to this leaked preview, there's more details about the game itself of course in the article.

Of course, the technical part of the title is also important, since it is the first first party racing game that we will see for the PS5. So according to Kaz, the GT7 on the PS5 will have two display modes, one aimed at "the highest possible frame rate", with a ceiling of 60 fps, and one with an improved display where Ray Tracing mode is activated for improved lighting, shading and, above all, reflections on the bodies of vehicles

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I'm never not going to play this title at 60 fps, so I guess that's that, unless RT is only for replays, in which case I at least don't completely lose it

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
Is that implying a 30fps mode in a GT game?

I'll take the no raytracing mode then please Bob.

If there was any game I'd have thought needed the Ratchet/Miles Morales framerate + lower res RTX mode the most, it would have been GT7.

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
The article doesn't exactly confirm RT reflections will be applied during gameplay.

The Daytona video had 30fps replays with RT reflections on, but the gameplay was 60fps.

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
I really do wonder if a potential PS5 Pro could handle both RT/high res and 60fps instead of the current split we see in game modes.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Would probably be better to wait a few hours and find out than take stuff from a leaked preview

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
Spiderman, Ratchet and i think Metro Exodus offer both.

Looks like they're using RT for more than just reflections:

"where Ray Tracing mode is activated for improved lighting, shading and, above all, reflections"

Insomniac's games only use RT for reflections and prebakes their lighting, Metro lacks RT reflections but has RT lighting.

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Could be like the performance toggle in GT Sport on PS4 Pro. Highest resolution mode that runs at 60 or high performance mode that.... runs at 60.

I'm not drawing any conclusions from this though, I'm hoping they talk about this stuff in the SoP.

plow

Oct 28, 2017

"where Ray Tracing mode is activated for improved lighting, shading and, above all, reflections"

Insomniac's games only use RT for reflections and prebakes their lighting, Metro lacks RT reflections but has RT lighting.

Then no way this is 60FPS in Gameplay.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
yeah, yeah, people are gonna be like "options are good" - but i really really don't like the "Performance" vs "Fidelity" mode toggles.

Just make a well balanced, locked to 60fps mode that looks as well as it can without dropping frames. (so, basically ... performance mode, guess?)

Or just call the modes what they are ... "Gameplay mode" vs. "Screenshot mode" 🤷‍♂️

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017

The last GT used pre-baked lighting, I'd be suprised if it was more than that - I don't think that the full on GI solutions or even screenspace stuff will hold up too well in fast motion.
RT reflections and Shadows from direct light sources seems fairly plausible - especially as the game is also on PS4, this is about as far as it goes in most games right now.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Uhh yeah if this means 30fps that's gonna be a no from me dawg. Not sure if this is even a thing but we'll know in a few hours anyway.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I highly doubt this and maybe it's a translation mistake. They'll talk about it in State of Play if it's true.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
If it's given as a choice then that's great. I can handle 30fps with RT eye candy once in a while.

We'll find out on the SoP I suppose.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Pfeww. It was going to be very dumb to just include RT just in photomode like it was presumed before.

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
Then no way this is 60FPS in Gameplay.

I highly doubt they targeted 30fps gameplay as well. Kaz has stated he doesn't consider it to be a racing game if it's not 60.

I think RT reflections will be restricted to replays (we've seen replay at 30fps in the Daytona vid but the gameplay portion was 60). They could probably get RT GI and shaders at 60fps for gameplay.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
We could speculate all day, or wait until the SoP later today. Let's speculate.

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
The last GT used pre-baked lighting, I'd be suprised if it was more than that - I don't think that the full on GI solutions or even screenspace stuff will hold up too well in fast motion.
RT reflections and Shadows from direct light sources seems fairly plausible - especially as the game is also on PS4, this is about as far as it goes in most games right now.

GT7 has dynamic time progression and weather changing now, so I'm wondering how they were doing this while looking as good as GT Sport's static baked GI lightmaps.

FarZa17

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, show that RT reflection when in race, please. I want to see.
I wonder if RT reflection quality could be reduced or limited, where there is noticeable range of rendering if they want to keep it smooth 60fps.

dusan

Aug 2, 2020
Are they saying we will see that lights & reflections with 4K RT?

omg-knuckle-biting.gif