• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which game is your GOTY so far

• The Last of Us 2

Votes: 1,396 45.9%
  • Final Fantasy VII Remake

Votes: 489 16.1%
  • Animal Crossing

Votes: 372 12.2%
  • Doom Eternal

Votes: 138 4.5%
  • Ori & The Will of the Wisps

Votes: 191 6.3%
  • Other (Please state)

Votes: 453 14.9%

• Total voters

FuddyDuddy

Nov 4, 2019
My pick is Ghost of Tsushima. That very well may change when Cyberpunk 2077 releases but for now it's my favorite hands down.

the_kaotek1

Oct 25, 2017
TLOU2 will win everything (including here) but for me Ghost of Tsushima is my current GOTY because it's just really enjoyable. Second place at present goes to FF7r

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
TLOU2 closely followed by Half-Life: Alyx. Both are among the best games ever made. Fantastic experiences.

tioslash

Oct 29, 2017
For me easily Half-Life: Alyx. Still my favorite franchise since the first game came out and HLA just solidified it as such.

Vommy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Loved TLOU 2, but GoT was such a big suprise to me so it did the unbeliveable and went above ND.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Years was good so far, but Half Life Alyx takes the cake by far far far. Anyone being able to play it should do it now. All those other releases were fine or even super good like Last of Us 2, but Alyx is gamechanging moment this year for me even though I play VR games like 3 years now.

Ximonz

Oct 30, 2017
Taiwan
I haven't finished Paper Mario TOK yet but it is possible the best game I've played this year.
so I'll go for that.

haven't had this much fun and joy in a single player game for a long time

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I guess FFVIIRemake or RE3R, but in any other year they would rank pretty low. I like FFVIIR, but to say the game has issues is putting it lightly. I really enjoyed my time with RE3R though, but it's not exactly goty material.

/edit: Oh I forgot Streets of Rage 4, that one's gotta be high up there for me.

Ori is a second place for me. It's a pretty decent Metroidvania but not much more than than imo. It felt like a better, more polished version of the first game, but more a exercise in repetition more than a sequel.

/edit: I still have to play Paper Mario, Deadly Premonition 2 and Ghost of Tsushima (in the middle of this one). I think those all stand a good chance of being top 10/5.

Ranking the ones in the op so far I'd say:

FFVIIR
Ori
Doom Eternal
Animal Crossing
Last of Us II

Last edited:

Statik

alt account
Banned
Jul 17, 2020
For me, Doom or FF7 aren't even close to qualifying.

Yeah, Doom Eternal and FF7 Remake are not contenders for GOTY, imo. For two different reasons, mind you. After the perfection that was Doom 2016, Eternal was such a huge disappointment. All they had to do was improve the visuals and give us the same gameplay. That's all they had to do. But, nope. My opinion of FF7 Remake as a GOTY candidate has nothing to do with its quality and everything to do with the fact that it's the first installment in a remake of a decades old game that won't be completed by Square for several years. I just think that alone disqualifies it from consideration. GoT definitely should be up there with TLOU2, imo. It has a slight chance of stealing GOTY honors as a sleeper, though TLOU2 is probably going to run away with the honors, as it should. All my opinion, of course.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Animal Crossing, I guess. Don't really have a clear favorite; there have been a handful of games I really enjoyed (Xenoblade DE, Monster Train, Origami King) but no obvious standout.

Maybe I'll end up going with an older game leaving early access this year, like Hades or Factorio.

Or maybe Spelunky 2 will come out this year. Fingers crossed.

KraytarJ

Nov 14, 2017
Xenoblade DE and Persona 5 Royal aside my ranking would go:

1. FFVII Remake
2. Ghost of Tsushima
3. Murder By Numbers

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, Doom Eternal and FF7 Remake are not contenders for GOTY, imo. For two different reasons, mind you. After the perfection that was Doom 2016, Eternal was such a huge disappointment. All they had to do was improve the visuals and give us the same gameplay. That's all they had to do. But, nope. My opinion of FF7 Remake as a GOTY candidate has nothing to do with its quality and everything to do with the fact that it's the first installment in a remake of a decades old game that won't be completed by Square for several years. I just think that alone disqualifies it from consideration. GoT definitely should be up there with TLOU2, imo. It has a slight chance of stealing GOTY honors as a sleeper, though TLOU2 is probably going to run away with the honors, as it should. All my opinion, of course.

Re. FF7R, that reasoning didn't stop anyone from giving RE2R accolades last year.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Streets Of Rage 4

followed by Doom Eternal and Animal Crossing

maybe Paper Mario as well

Klaw

Nov 16, 2017
France
I don't really know to be honest.

Liked TLOU2 a lot for its gameplay and graphics, but was really not hooked with scenario (and literally didn't understood the end). So a very solid game, but not as good as i thought it would be.
FF7:R : good too, but still some big flaws and boring sections...
Ori : Very good, but the performances at launch were pretty bad, and not acceptable for a first party game.

And I don't see anything else that would fit for me.

Statik

alt account
Banned
Jul 17, 2020
And so is FF7R, ain't it.
Not really, no. Yes, it's a densely packed segment of the original that's been expanded into an experience that takes many hours to complete. But, that doesn't mean it's a complete package. You know the game is just the first of what will probably be three or four installments, essentially a glorified introduction in a game that didn't even reach its best story beats yet. Yes, it's a game and it's long, but for the purpose of weighing its value as a GOTY candidate (again, I'm not commenting on its quality at all), I think its incomplete status disqualifies its consideration.

The40Watt

Oct 29, 2017
Unfortunately there hasn't been anything released so far that has appealed to me. I don't think I've played a 2020 release yet.

I've been closing out the AC Odyssey DLC which is great and continuing to play Destiny 2.

DSoup

Oct 28, 2017
London
Currently it's Ghost of Tsushima. I love open world, I love exploring, I love feeling like a badass. I really liked The Last of Us Part II but I am simply enjoying the mix of tone and gameplay of Ghost more.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
Though TLOU2 and Doom Eternal were great, I think my nod still has to go the underdog that is Dreams. Spent some countless hours making two projects that I was really happy with, definitely the most unique "gaming" experience this year.

theosmeo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Streets of Rage 4 is fantastic, everything else I played this year that came out feels quite average or has a lot of disappointment even if overall i still think its a great game (RE3, Deadly Premonition 2, ect)

SoR4 is super godlike tho, im so happy its as good as it is.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Easily TLOU2 for me and there's nothing ahead to even compete with it.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
Subnautica Below Zero or Risk of Rain 2.

This wasn't my year, when it comes to big games and I played mainly older stuff.

Gorgosh

Oct 26, 2017
Half Life Alyx is definetly missing in the Poll.
It was such a new experience that can only be experienced via VR, amazing amazing game.
Overall I would still say TLOU2 though, because it definetly had the better story and captivated me more overall.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Split between Ori and RE3 Remake for me.

Ori is almost certainly he 'better' game, and a genuinely special experience but something about RE3 really got its claws in me and I ended up rinsing the whole thing.

On a side note, I've re-discovered two continuing games recently in No Man's Sky and Sea of Thieves, both of which would stand as contenders for my GotY. Both incredible experience currently the best they have ever been.

RedShift

Oct 27, 2017
Half Life Alyx. Really sold me on VR games as a medium, well worth buying a headset for.

Alternatively, Outer Wilds. It released last year on EGS and XBO but I didn't get it until the Steam release. What a game.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Streets of Rage 4 for me so far. A really elegant update of the series with a lot of new ideas and great characters

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Not really, no. Yes, it's a densely packed segment of the original that's been expanded into an experience that takes many hours to complete. But, that doesn't mean it's a complete package. You know the game is just the first of what will probably be three or four installments, essentially a glorified introduction in a game that didn't even reach its best story beats yet. Yes, it's a game and it's long, but for the purpose of weighing its value as a GOTY candidate (again, I'm not commenting on its quality at all), I think its incomplete status disqualifies its consideration.

"Complete package" is some arbitrary nonsense.

Is it a new video game? Yes.
Is it a new release in 2020? Yes.

There you go, it's qualified for GOTY discussion.

bixente

Jan 27, 2019
Animal Crossing New Horizons.

Other highlights:

Clubhouse Games
Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition
Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore
Huntdown

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
The Last of Us Part II, easily. Ghost of Tsushima is beating FF7 Remake into 2nd so far for me though, its fantastic.

Mazzo

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Does MHW Iceborne for PC count? I had tons of fun finishing the game with 3 friends. And with the new update we got back to it and are trying to find a way to beat Alatreon.