Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
This video just popped up on google's youtube channel:

They're apparently testing game streaming in the US with Ubisoft.

(Kill with latency if old.)

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
Project Stream is a test of Google's streaming technologies in the US. We're testing interactive video streaming and have partnered with Ubisoft to test the streaming capabilities of Assassin's Creed Odyssey.

EDIT:
It's called Project Stream and is for Chrome browsers only.
Project_Streamfoo_2018.max-1000x1000.png
Blog post: https://www.blog.google/technology/developers/pushing-limits-streaming-technology/

We've been working on Project Stream, a technical test to solve some of the biggest challenges of streaming. For this test, we're going to push the limits with one of the most demanding applications for streaming—a blockbuster video game.

We've partnered with one of the most innovative and successful video game publishers, Ubisoft, to stream their soon-to-be released Assassin's Creed Odyssey™ to your Chrome browser on a laptop or desktop. Starting on October 5, a limited number of participants will get to play the latest in this best-selling franchise at no charge for the duration of the Project Stream test.

There are limited spaces available for Project Stream, but if you're interested participating, you can apply on our website. Project Stream is geared toward home internet connections capable of 25 megabits per second, and you must be 17 years or older and live in the U.S. to participate (other requirements can be found on the help center).

Last edited:

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
Gonna be fun watching game stream wars next gen. Expecting more companies to join in and battle it out.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
While options are good I hope this doesn't end up taking off and replacing traditional gaming in the same manner as other streaming services have done to other traditional media (I'm aware of the NUMEROUS other attempts but this is Google we are talking about). Luckily, gaming locally will always have the advantage of input speed.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Google's had many projects that get shelved. Hopefully this gets the support it needs to succeed.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
What's irritating a little bit to me is that people are acting like there hasn't already been a proof of concept with GeForce NOW. Why is this? Is it due to lack of access to the Beta?

OP
OP
Last_colossi

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Thanks kennyamr & razgriz417 for adding all the proper info!, I've gotta up my thread making game.

Since this is running off of google's servers it'll be interesting to see how good or bad the latency will be, hopefully it'll be even better than PSNow.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's irritating a little bit to me is that people are acting like there hasn't already been a proof of concept with GeForce NOW. Why is this? Is it due to lack of access to the Beta?
corect me if I am wrong, but geforce now is pure streaming, this is roumered to br hybrid compute with local handling of inputs?

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Signed up, I'm very curious. I've got 199 down and 16.4 up with 49ms latency. It could run very well on my connection -- I just worry about input lag.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
corect me if I am wrong, but geforce now is pure streaming, this is roumered to br hybrid compute with local handling of inputs?

Inputs are routed to the data centers but the latency is incredibly low if you're geographically near one (which you will likely be considering how the server allocation works). The point is the games already play just fine as is with GeForce NOW, even with the input latency.

EDIT:

Of course, I welcome any improvements to reduce latency, but it's not like the state of game streaming is an unplayable mess right now (not with GeForce NOW anyway).

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Sacramento
I can see google having the means to get reasonable latency in game streaming, but we're still stuck with relatively slow (and capped) internet in the US.

Perhaps it's time to roll out Google Fiber 2.0 ;D

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Call me when all that server power is capable of delivering low latency gaming on ultra high settings without popin and game world streaming issues.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So maybe AC; Oddyssey will come to Switch in the US after all, since they're using a similar streaming solution in Japan.

They are doing this to promote Chrome (and probably eventually android). There's not much reason for them to want to work with anyone outside that ecosystem.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
While options are good I hope this doesn't end up taking off and replacing traditional gaming in the same manner as other streaming services have done to other traditional media (I'm aware of the NUMEROUS other attempts but this is Google we are talking about). Luckily, gaming locally will always have the advantage of input speed.

It won't, it's just companies who dispose their cards, also for patenting what is still possible to patent.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Lived in 4 different states and 8 different cities in the US and have never had speeds below 25mbps or capped monthly data. Every major metropolitan city in the US is pretty much in this same boat and I'm assuming this is the techs target segment.

olubode

Oct 28, 2017
its not though, if roumers are true, we dont know ether way at the moment, its a hybrid compute with inputs being handle localy. all the switch stuff is pure streaming.
Huh? He suggested it's possible. Even your response suggest we don't know. I think it's possible that UBI could develop a client side app for the Switch.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
95% of the time, latency isn't a problem, and that hasn't really changed since the heydays of Onlive and Gaikai. The problem is that other 5% is super obvious and really annoying, and I think the issue exists between the client and server, which is a problem for these streaming platforms that only reaches as far as the server.

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
Signed up, let's see if they choose me for once.
It'd be a nice way to play the game for free.
(Maybe there is some kind of limitation in place, I bet)

Volo

Oct 26, 2017
From what I recall, Gaikai experimented with playing games in a browser in its last days before Sony's acquisition.

Remember

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Chicago, IL United States
Gonna be fun watching game stream wars next gen. Expecting more companies to join in and battle it out.

It will only happen in countries and cities without data caps and monopolies. For some reason, fiber internet is treated like a holy grail instead of an inevitable future. Video games have been ready for this streaming future for almost 2 gens now but companies like Comcast want to put a cap on it.

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
I remember when cloud gaming was the future about 8 years ago with OnLive, I'm surprised that after all this time there doesn't seem to be a service worth using yet. Wouldn't be surprised if Google nail it though.

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like this is a first public test for their Yeti project.

Will be interesting to see if they have plans beyond software (e.g. dedicated hardware like rumored for the cheaper next Xbox)

Bunkles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If Google gets this right, I don't think some here really appreciate the implications. Notice we are still on one page of this thread where as the slight hint of Xbox or PS5 and we'd be on page 30 already. Someone nailing the streaming tech correctly could really upend the business model as it currently stands. MS knows this as they got Scarlett Mini on the ready for the pivot.

This test stream is gonna make for an interesting weekend either way it goes.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If Google gets this right, I don't think some here really appreciate the implications. Notice we are still on one page of this thread where as the slight hint of Xbox or PS5 and we'd be on page 30 already. Someone nailing the streaming tech correctly could really upend the business model as it currently stands. MS knows this as they got Scarlett Mini on the ready for the pivot.

This test stream is gonna make for an interesting weekend.
the big question is does the hybrid compute model reduce input latancy enough to have it not effect gameplay for most people.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
US only :(

Google might be the kind of company to actually pull this off on an international level. They could also afford to go with a really low price.

no1

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
25Mbits/s isn't very high, not bad.
Hmm same req as OnLive. I pray it's probably using H265, and not 264 if it's chrome exclusive. Would make the chromebooks more wanting, and tbh if they pull this off they will push past all the hurdles OnLive had and would make this very appealing.

From what I recall, Gaikai experimented with playing games in a browser in its last days before Sony's acquisition.
Yeah they had emulation and stuff in their but they had really bad encoding and it required stupid fast internet compared to what was available already with OnLive.

Bunkles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
the big question is does the hybrid compute model reduce input latancy enough to have it not effect gameplay for most people.

I feel like with current tech we are almost there already. If this is just another version of something we've already seen (PSNow, OnLive, etc) then I think it'll tank but if it's better and 'close enough' to the real thing... man it's gonna get a little nuts as long as Google can secure the games.

Last edited:

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how they will handle compression artifacts.

When I had an OnLive account, that was the biggest flaw in my opinion. Surly the tech has gotten better that such a thing can be mitigated.

Bunkles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
At 1080p. That's 11.25gb per hour. So 25 hours to plough through Assassin's Creed Odyssey at 1080p/60fps is going to use a whopping 281gb. Not so much an issue in Europe where unlimited internet is the norm, but in the US?

I know some people have data caps but not everywhere in the US has them. I'm not capped at all where I live.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At 1080p. That's 11.25gb per hour. So 25 hours to plough through Assassin's Creed Odyssey at 1080p/60fps is going to use a whopping 281gb. Not so much an issue in Europe where unlimited internet is the norm, but in the US?
it wouldnt shock me if its closer to 15mbs, but wants the extra 10 as a buffer.