• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

pestul

Oct 25, 2017
Firefox is great. Word of caution for extension installers though.. LastPass really slows down Firefox in the last few revisions I tried. I've been using Keepass and Kee extension and never looked back.

Anyone else who's having issues with Firefox lag and speed, try disabling LastPass extension temporarily and see if it speeds you up.

I only have Chrome for Remote Desktop now basically.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Firefox is great. Word of caution for extension installers though.. LastPass really slows down Firefox in the last few revisions I tried. I've been using Keepass and Kee extension and never looked back.

Anyone else who's having issues with Firefox lag and speed, try disabling LastPass extension temporarily and see if it speeds you up.

Fuck. Even when you're logged out? It's like the one extension along with uBlock Origin that I really need to have lol.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
Google really wants us all to get malware eh?
I've always used firefox over chrome anyway, chrome was always laggy for me.

Kaji AF16

Nov 6, 2017
Argentina
The mix of power and positive image that Google has right now is possibly unprecedented. I´m not much of a conspiracy theorist, but I do believe it has become almost unstoppable and it abuses consumer goodwill. It´s a new stage of capitalism.

The recent fines are like tears in the rain in front of such a vast force.

Microsoft should have supported Firefox instead of going to Chromium.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018

I've noticed this as well, at least on some sites/pages. (Newegg's the one that's been super slow for me.)

I'm not going to switch from LastPass to another service (I have way way too much there to try switch), but I might turn the extension off and on as needed. At least until we find out if an extension or browser update fixes it.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
I wonder if Microsoft would just branch off chromium and keep going with their plan or if they are in on this bandwagon

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I stopped using Chrome a while back and I'm glad I did. Firefox has kept me more than happy with their updates and overall transparency.

lake

Oct 27, 2017

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
I've noticed this as well, at least on some sites/pages. (Newegg's the one that's been super slow for me.)

I'm not going to switch from LastPass to another service (I have way way too much there to try switch), but I might turn the extension off and on as needed. At least until we find out if an extension or browser update fixes it.

It's very easy. I switched to Bitwarden a couple months ago and it was as simple as copy pasting a text document from Lastpass to the new service.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
The only slightly shifty thing about Brave is that ad-reward program. On the one hand Google tries to make money paying adblock for "trusted ads", then Brave does something similar.

Not to mention without using shortcut commands, the reward icon/extension cannot be removed/disabled in Brave.

The good thing about blocking in Brave though is its app-native, not an extension.

I wish all the competition to Chrome would get their mobile browsers sorted out. Most are a mess/incomplete or non-existent (Vivaldi). Chrome mobile simply destroys everything and obv has sync.

It's pretty shocking how poorly focussed Mozilla have been with Firefox mobile. A lot of web traffic these days is mobile and they're dragging their heels. My phone has 6GB of ram and Firefox is still somehow a mess on it.

Who gives a shit about Focus confusing the market? Sort your main Firefox mobile browser out.
From my understanding, Focus is being used as a testing ground of sorts for a rewrite of how they're running the browser engine on Android. At some point the work will be integrated back into the main browser app.

Ajax125

Nov 15, 2017
First i heard today that google is shutting down Hangouts, and now this?

For Fucks Sake. If google is good at anything, its making people think twice about using your products.

Also, i wish mozilla's stock was public....

Deleted member 6263

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
2005? It had them up until the Quantum release in November 2017. It's OK for someone to be suspicious, and not up to date on the fact that it no longer suffers from this problem, because it really had it since forever, up until fairly recently.

Firefox is not memory leaking like it once was. It's far more stable in terms of performance (save for some Macs).

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brave / Vivaldi peeps: This is based on the Chromium engine which is what this impacts. You too will loose things like uBlock

This appears to be similar to what Safari did where they're building an API for these services to use

Because this has been quoted again, let me clear it up

h2e6crb.png

https://www.reddit.com/r/brave_brow...me_may_soon_change_how_3rd_party_ad_blockers/

XR.

Nov 22, 2018

I haven't noticed this personally. How does this manifest itself? Slow start, slow loading of pages, freezes?

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhat on topic, but was it ever discovered who the mystery buyer of AdBlock was from a few years ago?

Most people assumed it was Google as they immediately started pedalling their "acceptable ads" program after the announcement, but I'm not sure if it was ever verified.

That's when I switched over to uBlock Origin. I'd prefer not to switch browsers at this point, but I will if this happens.

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes Era threads have "issues" when it comes to the title of threads vs OP vs the actual article vs the source of the article in regards to providing accurate information for people to have discussions on vs inaccurate information (usually the thread title), but Google and Android threads seem to regularly be "dumpster fires" in comparison (thanks in part to Google's data sharing and negative feedback over the years, but still).

The title of this thread implies Google is planning to restrict ad-blockers in Chrome on purpose, and rightfully so would deserve responses such as "I'm switching to Vivaldi/Firefox/etc...". However reading the actual article and the sources, Google Chromium developers put out a list of proposed changes planned for the Chromium browser that Chrome and other browsers are based on. This specific change, according to the creator of uBlock Origin...

In Manifest V3, we will strive to limit the blocking version of webRequest, potentially removing blocking options from most
events (making them observational only). Content blockers should instead use declarativeNetRequest (see below). It is unlikely
this will account for 100% of use cases (e.g., onAuthRequired), so we will likely need to retain webRequest functionality in some form.

...would potentially break his two extensions, uBlock Origin and uMatrix, which the creator of the extension expressed in response to the Manifest V3 changes on the Chromium bugs website.

Now, while uBlock Origin is a popular extension and it would probably be a good idea for Google Chromium's developers to address these concerns/work on a solution, Google is not actively trying to restrict ad-blockers in Chromium, at least not from the information we can get from their list of changes.

I know this thread is on page 4 already so this post isn't going to inform most people posting in it/claiming they are going to switch to other Chromium based browsers that will get the same proposed changes anyway if they are accepted, but oh well.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
After reading this news about an hour ago I immediately began the switch to Firefox and I can now say that I'm 100% switched over with no plans to go back to Chrome. Not at all happy with this proposed change.

An unexpected benefit: It appears Chrome was causing me to have brief intermittent monitor black screen issues while viewing videos on two screens at once, and I haven't had any further issues since switching to Firefox!

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck, and I only (relatively) just comfortably migrated over to Vivaldi. Is FF really that much better than it was, say, 12 months ago?

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes Era threads have "issues" when it comes to the title of threads vs OP vs the actual article vs the source of the article in regards to providing accurate information for people to have discussions on vs inaccurate information (usually the thread title), but Google and Android threads seem to regularly be "dumpster fires" in comparison (thanks in part to Google's data sharing and negative feedback over the years, but still).

The title of this thread implies Google is planning to restrict ad-blockers in Chrome on purpose, and rightfully so would deserve responses such as "I'm switching to Vivaldi/Firefox/etc...". However reading the actual article and the sources, Google Chromium developers put out a list of proposed changes planned for the Chromium browser that Chrome and other browsers are based on. This specific change, according to the creator of uBlock Origin...

...would potentially break his two extensions, uBlock Origin and uMatrix, which the creator of the extension expressed in response to the Manifest V3 changes on the Chromium bugs website.

Now, while uBlock Origin is a popular extension and it would probably be a good idea for Google Chromium's developers to address these concerns/work on a solution, Google is not actively trying to restrict ad-blockers in Chromium, at least not from the information we can get from their list of changes.

I know this thread is on page 4 already so this post isn't going to inform most people posting in it/claiming they are going to switch to other Chromium based browsers that will get the same proposed changes anyway if they are accepted, but oh well.

Whether or not Google is intentionally trying to break adblockers is irrelevent. The fact that if these changes go through then it WILL break adblockers is the issue and what most people are upset about. Also yours is hardly the first post to address that this'll break other chromium browsers. Plenty of others have pointed this out.