Status
Not open for further replies.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Chances are 4k simply isn't going to ever be something available on "all devices"; it's not going to work on shitty phones, it might not work in iOS because of Apple's lack of VP9 support, and ironically laptops / pcs without a GPU might not be able to stream in 4k.

Granted many of those devices aren't hooked up to 4k screens so it shouldn't matter, but I feel like Google is afraid to just tell people that or at least haven't figured out how to properly mitigate it (write into their software some way to detect the stream being handled poorly, etc.)

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
I completely forgot to ask at the AMA about game save-states. Particularly if you get distracted from your session and the game idle's out and then eventually disconnects the session. There's many games that don't keep progress if you don't manually save. Has anything been said on this? I hope it's not 'left up to the developers' to implement something for that.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I completely forgot to ask at the AMA about game save-states. Particularly if you get distracted from your session and the game idle's out and then eventually disconnects the session. There's many games that don't keep progress if you don't manually save. Has anything been said on this? I hope it's not 'left up to the developers' to implement something for that.
This answer from yesterday kinda relates:

24) When playing on Chromecast, can someone else cast something on to it while your playing ending your game session?

ANDREY: Yes, this is how Chromecast works. If someone casts something while you're playing, they'll take over the screen. But the game will keep running on our server for the next 10 minutes. So you have enough time to fight it out with your loved ones and get back to it. Or… just grab your laptop or Pixel phone, go to your room and continue from where you left off. That's what I do when my wife kicks me out from the living room to watch a show ;)

From what they've said before, the games pause for you on disconnect... I wouldn't be shocked if most games do an auto-save too. Would be kind of dumb for them not to.

But I doubt it's a full "save-state" like feature considering the 10 minute timeout mentioned.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
From what they've said before, the games pause for you on disconnect... I wouldn't be shocked if most games do an auto-save too. Would be kind of dumb for them not to.

But I doubt it's a full "save-state" like feature considering the 10 minute timeout mentioned.
See that's the thing. Many games don't have auto-save/pause option all the time. Think games with specific savepoints for instance. If there's no way to save that gamestate then Stadia isn't going to magically save your game for you either and it's not likely devs will design a new way to save just for Stadia.

Granted for many other games it's as easy as auto-F5 on disconnect. Then again, I'd hate for a service to overwrite my quicksave just because I disconnected, I might not have wanted to save there.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
They likely have a simple API, a hook you code into your game when you are told the player has disconnected and then it's up to the game what to do.

The games probably get told about the auto-shutdown after 10 minutes to and have a chance to respond.

Windows games have the same stuff; Windows raises events for various system happenings and it's up to games to support them. Some games do this really poorly, others handle it well. Used to be part of the process of getting the "Works on Windows" sticker on your game box to go through certification on whether your gamer responded well to system events like logout/shutdown but nobody uses that shit anymore lol . (and of course consoles like PS4/XBox have the same API hooks.)

Basically, it's nothing really all that "new" and devs have had to code for these scenarios on every device.

Since we've heard nothing about games supporting full save-states I doubt that's a system wide feature, would require a ton of data storage but I imagine it's probable it's a feature at some point. Someone should ask them so it's on their minds lol, but we are probably past the AMA stage of the product development.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
They likely have a simple API, a hook you code into your game when you are told the player has disconnected and then it's up to the game what to do.

The games probably get told about the auto-shutdown after 10 minutes to and have a chance to respond.

Windows games have the same stuff; Windows raises events for various system happenings and it's up to games to support them. Some games do this really poorly, others handle it well. Used to be part of the process of getting the "Works on Windows" sticker on your game box to go through certification on whether your gamer responded well to system events like logout/shutdown but nobody uses that shit anymore lol

Since we've heard nothing about games supporting full save-states I doubt that's a system wide feature, would require a ton of data storage but I imagine it's probable it's a feature at some point. Someone should ask them so it's on their minds lol, but we are probably past the AMA stage of the product development.
Yeah, that's basically why I'm thinking of something more than 'It's up to developers'. I've seen that nonsense all too many times and usually it just comes down to 'Probably not but it's not our fault'

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Yeah, that's basically why I'm thinking of something more than 'It's up to developers'. I've seen that nonsense all too many times and usually it just comes down to 'Probably not but it's not our fault'
Well PS4/XBox/Switch support it essentially at the system level right now.

Seems like a feature google would have thought of but I doubt it at this point.

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
It seems u/nandavardhan found some pages with compatibility tables for third-party controllers and Stadia-compatible operating systems.

pCNm6WjFI_AwlvCgL3eHQ68vMAkqD_MhJNYvaCu0uqU.jpg

RjBEuEy.png

Source

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey can someone make a Stadia impression thread on the 17th, as the 18th is when founders starts shipping and people should get their codes.

this thread can be used as the official OT as things upgrade overtime and have the conversation going , then have the other thread so people can post what they think of it so far.

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
Hey can someone make a Stadia impression thread on the 17th, as the 18th is when founders starts shipping and people should get their codes.

this thread can be used as the official OT as things upgrade overtime and have the conversation going , then have the other thread so people can post what they think of it so far.
As far as I know, The shipping will start on the 18th, but the codes will only be sent on the 19th.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
That's a shitty list of Android P controller support when most Android phones capable of getting Q won't be getting it until summer.

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
John Justice just confirmed that the features (State Share, Stream Connect) are on the system, but the games aren't using it already.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Likely other games will be available on the 19th or within days as they are in final testing.

Football Manager specifically brought up

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
pretty cool that it seems that they will announce the free pro games schedule, kinda cool and different

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Very encouraging that the controller feels amazing, hopefully on Monday it starts good impressions from those that are testing it

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
Very encouraging that the controller feels amazing, hopefully on Monday it starts good impressions from those that are testing it
Yup. In most unboxing videos that I saw, people instantly said it was very good. Just PC World said it wouldn't replace their current controller, but it still looks promising.

Even if I wouldn't play Stadia, I would like to have their controller. That's the case for my Steam controller. I just tested it once but never played anything with it.

Tickling

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So much for coming after launch. Chromecast Ultras have had their firmware updated to allow Stadia.

Stadia's marketing team is an absolute shambles

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
So much for coming after launch. Chromecast Ultras have had their firmware updated to allow Stadia.

Why would they be in shambles?

They probably just couldn't control when the firmware would go through the system so gave a vague answer.

Kills my theory they were doing it to limit number of users @ 4K.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017

... But that is good news?

Marketing can only release what they are told to.

There is obviously a last minute scramble. New entrant to gaming encountering unforseen problems, news at 11.

Kleegamefan

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 16, 2017
... But that is good news?

Marketing can only release what they are told to.

There is obviously a last minute scramble. New entrant to gaming encountering unforseen problems, news at 11.

Older Chromecast Ultra don't support Stadia at launch =Stadia iz teh crap

But now

Older Chromecast Ultras get last minute firmware update to support Stadia at launch =Stadia iz teh crap.

Stadia sentiment at era in a nutshell

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Older Chromecast Ultra don't support Stadia at launch =Stadia iz teh crap

But now

Older Chromecast Ultras get last minute firmware update to support Stadia at launch =Stadia iz teh crap.

Stadia sentiment at era in a nutshell
Just wait until everyones controller arrives early. People are really going to be pissed.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Just wait until everyones controller arrives early. People are really going to be pissed.
I'm curious if I will like it. I fucking hated the dual shock in the ps3/360 days vs the MS controller. After I got rid of my xb1 this gen only only use the Ps4 controller I have gotten used to it.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
When's everyone's arrival date? Mine is sitting at the 22-25th currently. For reference, I ordered a few hours after they announced. I also live in a major city.

blonded

Oct 30, 2017
So at launch Stadia is only available to people who pre-ordered the hardware? On the 19th I can't just fire up Chrome on my laptop and buy a Stadia game?

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Are they going to be selling controllers or a controller + chromecast bundle in stores? Or can you only get it from Google?

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
So at launch Stadia is only available to people who pre-ordered the hardware? On the 19th I can't just fire up Chrome on my laptop and buy a Stadia game?
Right. The official Stadia rollout is not until an undisclosed date next year. This is an early adopter phase, soft rollout until then. They are promising updates every few weeks, building the library and feature set while going. To play Stadia on the 19th and until the full launch, you will need a code that can only be purchased by purchasing the controller bundle on the Google store.

Status
Not open for further replies.