This question about Stadia on laptops has been explicitly addressed:

At launch:
- Chromecast on TV
- Desktops, Laptops, Tablets via Chrome browser
- Mobile phones limited to Pixel 3/3a

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
There's an important confirmation in the FAQ update: purchased games will remain playable even if publishers pull support for the game.

"Once you purchase the game, you own the right to play it. In the future, it is possible that some games may no longer be available for new purchases, but existing players will still be able to play the game," the Stadia FAQ page reads. "Outside of unforeseen circumstances, Stadia will aim to keep any previously purchased title available for gameplay."

https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/8/2...t-publishers-discontinue-stop-remain-playable

This comes up in almost every Stadia thread, so I'm sure we won't hear about it anymore.

JediMPG

Avenger
Jan 6, 2019
While I'm not fully on board yet with Stadia I think it's idea is great and sounds fun if you play it in addition to hardware based systems.
I'm tempted to try it out for Destiny 2 mostly when it comes out. Especially with Cross Save on PS4. I'm curious how the population will be

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
So no pixel 4? Only 3? that wouldn't make sense

afaik, Pixel 4 isn't officially confirmed yet, and definitely wasn't confirmed in May when the launch details were announced.

I'd assume if Pixel4 launches before November, it will have Stadia support, but Google hasn't addressed compatibility for a phone they haven't officially announced.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Is there crossplay anywhere in Destiny 2? It's been a whlie since I played but I remember only being able to connect to my PS Friends.
Nope. They're adding cross save in September since it's easier for them to implement. Then they'll work on getting cross play working. That said, they haven't made any promises towards that. I imagine that's kind of a big lift at this point especially considering they're an indie studio now.

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is a "launch period" during which I believe the only way to play is through a Chromecast. After this period (months, maybe a year?), after the full rollout, you just need a browser and Internet.

If you buy the founders edition you can play on whatever device you want at launch. No sure about when the core version launches if it'll be device specific.

Google may have just outed a loophole to getting into Stadia Base at launch. From my latest Ars story:

More at: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019...irms-couch-co-op-game-access-after-delistings

Except the fine print says that the Buddy Pass might not be given out right at launch. And this also makes the assumption that support for non-Stadia controllers will be available at launch, which it might not be. All in all, this is a bad idea.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
There's an important confirmation in the FAQ update: purchased games will remain playable even if publishers pull support for the game.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/8/2...t-publishers-discontinue-stop-remain-playable

This comes up in almost every Stadia thread, so I'm sure we won't hear about it anymore.

I dunno though; isn't this likely what MS and Sony do with Live and PSN?

But yeah nobody should ever have expected Google to not have such a policy; the problem still exists though for anything digitally purchased as we've seen, albeit it's rare.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I stumbled on some interesting perspectives from Dustin Land, who has been working on Stadia for Id Software for more than 2 years. I think he frames the appeal/approach of Stadia pretty well. All of these are from March, after GDC.

Here, he's re-posting an arstechnica comment. In the comments, he talks about how mods could still be possible with streaming:

People will say it can never replace local, top of the line desktops in fidelity and experience, and they're right. They're just wrong to think Google cares. Netflix didn't have to kill theaters and blu-ray players, they just had to be good enough or better than what you already had and way more convenient.

https://twitter.com/DustinHLand/status/1109509701048373249

dustin02.png

dustin01.png

https://twitter.com/DustinHLand/status/1109513188670955520
https://twitter.com/DustinHLand/status/1108364094665416704

I feel like this sense of balance is lost in a lot of the anti-streaming perspectives. First, people imagine that streaming is the ONLY way to play, and resent the idea. But if this ever happens, it's at least many years off. Second, people compare streaming with their 2080Ti 144fps PC experience and argue that streaming can never be better. Even if they're right about that, they're skirting right by the fact that numerically very few people are actually getting that experience. Streaming doesn't have to beat a top-of-the-line PC to be a very solid, and competitive platform for gaming.

Maybe it's marketing-speak to say that Google can deliver pixels to your screen faster than your brain can process them. But I don't think it's far-fetched that they can deliver pixels fast enough that most players can't tell the difference from the console experience. And if that's the case, then the conveniences, and accessibility of streaming are really going to be formidable.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Nope. They're adding cross save in September since it's easier for them to implement. Then they'll work on getting cross play working. That said, they haven't made any promises towards that. I imagine that's kind of a big lift at this point especially considering they're an indie studio now.
Bungie is technically indie, but they're a AAA studio with huge outside investments and consistent revenue from Destiny 2 microtransactions and expansions. They have the money to get cross play working. Question is whether they are willing to divert manpower and time to it.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I dunno though; isn't this likely what MS and Sony do with Live and PSN?

But yeah nobody should ever have expected Google to not have such a policy; the problem still exists though for anything digitally purchased as we've seen, albeit it's rare.

Yeah probably. I think a case like PT is a bit grey where it's a demo that never became a game, and might get delisted on Stadia where on console, they don't pro-actively delete it if you've already downloaded. But for the most part I think the situation of "ownership" and delisting is basically going to be the same as what we're already seeing on PC/Console. Multiplayer servers go offline when the community dies. Games with licensed music become unavailable for new purchases, etc. It's on Google to prove that a streaming license is at least as good if not better than a digital download license, and the longevity of their business depends on it.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Does destiny 2 have a story that can be completed solo? If so how long is it

Story wise you can complete the game solo, if you're not hanging around with side stuff or getting lost in a patrol its probably 10 hours for the main story. Expansions probably add another 10 to 15 hours in total, though its probably more for black armoury content if its as big a slog as everyone says. You never really have to team up if you don't want to, but you'll miss a chunk of content if you don't

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Bungie is technically indie, but they're a AAA studio with huge outside investments and consistent revenue from Destiny 2 microtransactions and expansions. They have the money to get cross play working. Question is whether they are willing to divert manpower and time to it.
True. What I'm getting at though is (unless they've staffed up a whole lot recently) Bungie has a lot less resources at their disposal than they did the past few years now that they don't have two Activision studios to help support their content pipeline. That's not to say they can't do it, but they have a lot on their plate right now I'd imagine.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Yeah probably. I think a case like PT is a bit grey where it's a demo that never became a game, and might get delisted on Stadia where on console, they don't pro-actively delete it if you've already downloaded. But for the most part I think the situation of "ownership" and delisting is basically going to be the same as what we're already seeing on PC/Console. Multiplayer servers go offline when the community dies. Games with licensed music become unavailable for new purchases, etc. It's on Google to prove that a streaming license is at least as good if not better than a digital download license, and the longevity of their business depends on it.
Yeah I definitely think people are overly worried about the topic; there is no way Google would go through all of this and quickly ditch the product.

I think it's reasonable to have some worries though; not so much that you'll "lose purchases" but that you are buying purchases locked behind a service that could have major changes over time. Pricing could go up., the "free" version could end up with advertisements or other annoying restrictions, you could move someday somewhere with shittier internet and suddenly those $60 games play like crap, etc. But I don't think those worries should be much greater than buying any modern game w/ a major online component since all of that is fairly true for the Destiny's of the world whether streaming or not, you just have higher bandwidth/latency requirements for it to be a quality experience.

I'm fascinated by it all because it's a business that really isn't proven in multiple ways; obviously companies are buying big into it, have done market research, tried to analyse and predict costs, etc. but none of it is 100% proven. What we do know is that the first company to try was an abject failure financially, and that the other company that currently has a service has barely mentioned it other than to hype of the success of adding a download option that quickly became the dominant way for people to use PS Now.

Jan 20, 2019
Yeah I definitely think people are overly worried about the topic; there is no way Google would go through all of this and quickly ditch the product.

I think it's reasonable to have some worries though; not so much that you'll "lose purchases" but that you are buying purchases locked behind a service that could have major changes over time. Pricing could go up., the "free" version could end up with advertisements or other annoying restrictions, you could move someday somewhere with shittier internet and suddenly those $60 games play like crap, etc.

I'm fascinated by it all because it's a business that really isn't proven in multiple ways; obviously companies are buying big into it, have done market research, tried to analyse and predict costs, etc. but none of it is 100% proven. What we do know is that the first company to try was an abject failure financially, and that the other company that currently has a service has barely mentioned it other than to hype of the success of adding a download option that quickly became the dominant way for people to use PS Now.

But they already did that...

This is not the first time Google stops caring about a product and shuts down the all thing.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle

This is not the first time Google stops caring about a product and shuts down the all thing.
The examples people have are almost entirely for free services, often ones google didn't even display advertising on.

Google stopped being so charitable to the world with their cool sites and apps that weren't making them anything, but this is a digital store with customers potentially spending 100s of dollars. The PR nightmare would be massive compared to some nerds complaining about Google Reader being shut down, etc.

Yes, it's POSSIBLE Google could cancel Stadia at some point, but it's a service that will have multiple revenue streams which makes it quite different from their other cancelled products.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017

Aside from their internet offering which is getting hammered by regulatory bodies which are influenced by the monarchy of ISP's for each state, the famous list that get's circulated is for free products that are discontinued or merged.

There are so many because Google branches out to try many things.

Stadia could very well be a failure but they are not just going to shut off the power overnight as some like to imply

Jan 20, 2019
The examples people have are almost entirely for free services, often ones google didn't even display advertising on.

Google stopped being so charitable to the world with their cool sites and apps that weren't making them anything, but this is a digital store with customers potentially spending 100s of dollars. The PR nightmare would be massive compared to some nerds complaining about Google Reader being shut down, etc.

Yes, it's POSSIBLE Google could cancel Stadia at some point, but it's a service that will have multiple revenue streams which makes it quite different from their other cancelled products.

Peopel speeding money in not gonna stop them from shutding down the service, prety sure that in the ToS there is something there to help them.

Aside from their internet offering which is getting hammered by regulatory bodies which are influenced by the monarchy of ISP's for each state, the famous list that get's circulated is for free products that are discontinued or merged.

Stadia could very well be a failure but they are not just going to shut off the power overnight as some like to imply

Oh yes, they are not gonna shut down the service in a 1 week, something like a year is a real possability. But, it depends on how serious is google about this.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I mean it's a pretty simple solution if people are scared of Google turning off the lights abruptly. Don't invest heavily into the platform. Don't buy games just to have them. When you buy a game, play it and move on. Also look to buy games that have cross progression with other systems if it's a long term game (Fortnite, Destiny 2, etc).

Think of Stadia as "here and now" entertainment and not some investment to look at in 10 years. So when Google turns off the lights it's not that big of a deal. There will probably be a dozen other streaming services to jump to and just start over.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Peopel speeding money in not gonna stop them from shutding down the service, prety sure that in the ToS there is something there to help them.

Yes, it's possible.

No one said otherwise. The investment is huge + there is no precedent for Google cancelling a service that involves people buying permanent licenses to software products only available through the service. Worry accordingly. The fact they shut down Google Reader or Google+ is barely even relatable to the situation. Same with Google Music which was rolled into another service w/ all your purchases intact.

Jade1962

Oct 28, 2017
I want to try this but don't know about the controller. Is the plan still to allow DS4 usage. Because I would rather use my own controller. Any hands on impressions of the Stadia controller. I do like that the sticks are symmetrical.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I want to try this but don't know about the controller. Is the plan still to allow DS4 usage. Because I would rather use my own controller. Any hands on impressions of the Stadia controller. I do like that the sticks are symmetrical.
You have to buy the controller to use the service during it's launch period, or to use it with Chromecast, but for PC/Mobile play they are supporting any standard controller via USB. So yes you can buy the founder's kit, and then plug a DS4 into a PC/laptop/phone and play Stadia at launch that way.

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
That doesn't make sense to me; you don't plug a Chromecast into a PC.

They are requiring people buy the Founder's edition (likely to limit the number of people accessing at launch so the system doesn't crash and burn); but if you buy the founders edition you'll be able to play on a laptop/desktop or a supported device.

How that works isn't specified; but it makes zero sense that it would require plugging in a Chromecast. That's an HDMI based device and the vast majority of PCs have no HDMI input.

So it's either going to be an app or a special version of or plugin for Chrome. (or simply an HTML5 based site you log into)

Eh, you're right. For some reason my mind was equating plugging in the chromecast into a computer *monitor* with plugging it into a PC.

adobot

Mar 19, 2019

Oh yes, they are not gonna shut down the service in a 1 week, something like a year is a real possability. But, it depends on how serious is google about this.

What service/app has Google shut down that people pay them for?

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
I'm in a pretty similar boat. I realize that it's a niche with a quieter voice than the enthusiast crowds on a gaming forum, but Stadia sounds like a really good fit for me. I prefer digital media (except for books and vinyl), I'm already hooked in to Google's ecosystem, I have good and stable Wi-Fi at home, and I'm not that interested in most mega-budget western games. When the occasional ~AAA~ (sigh) game that I'm interested in comes along -- like Cyberpunk -- it makes so much more sense for me to stream it than it does to invest in more hardware. In my very particular case, Switch with a little Stadia could be a very nice combo.
I'm with you both too. I have a 2070 I got in December and to think I'd need to upgrade my whole PC in several years is finally getting tiring. I'd rather not deal with all that as I get older and have less time to devote to such things also I could play these games at work sometimes!

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017

They've been working with Ubisoft and Id on Stadia for like 3 years. They've made some major industry hires to build a 1st party publishing apparatus that could easily take 5 years to establish itself. I don't know how anyone could form the conclusion that Google would shut down the whole project in a year.

Even Anthem will not be shut down in a year and that required a lot less capital investment.

Jade1962

Oct 28, 2017
You have to buy the controller to use the service during it's launch period, or to use it with Chromecast, but for PC/Mobile play they are supporting any standard controller via USB. So yes you can buy the founder's kit, and then plug a DS4 into a PC/laptop/phone and play Stadia at launch that way.

Perfect thanks. No just need to get my DS4 synced to my pixelbook.

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
They've been working with Ubisoft and Id on Stadia for like 3 years. They've made some major industry hires to build a 1st party publishing apparatus that could easily take 5 years to establish itself. I don't know how anyone could form the conclusion that Google would shut down the whole project in a year.

Even Anthem will not be shut down in a year and that required a lot less capital investment.

Exactly. They would try different pricing models / offers/ marketing / etc. etc. before they'd shut this down. It really does not look like the category of throwaway free beta services they do.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Their target for Stadia is the next generation of consoles, there is no way this is shut down in a year.

Beforehand is the softt launch where they can work out issues

efr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 19, 2019
I hope it ends up like the Play store, lots of sales, easy access, and buy games at a discount with google gift cards.

Jan 20, 2019

Do you have a link to see their 1 party output or is that not know yet?

Their target for Stadia is the next generation of consoles, there is no way this is shut down in a year.

Beforehand is the softt launch where they can work out issues

Let's hope soo, I hope they are serious about this because it will push both Sony and Microsoft to do better.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Since the Chromecast Ultra is normally $54.99 on its own, and you get 3 months of the $9.99-level service, the $130 Founders Edition pack seems...not exactly impressive for early adopters. You're in effect buying the controller for $45, the Chomecast at normal price, and three months of service at normal price.

Not terrible by any means, but it doesn't feel like a special offering. The chance to choose your name is one of the most insane pitches I've ever heard for something like this, and I wouldn't mention it, but I've heard Harrison bringing it up as a "special" perk unprompted in a few different interviews.

Deleted member 16365

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
you still consider buying this? :P

Founder here. I'm all about Stadia because I travel a lot and I love the idea of being able to play games wherever I am.

inb4 "but hotel wifi is trash"… I've never had issues streaming 1080p to a chromecast I keep with me at all times on hotel wifi. I don't expect to get 4k steaming, but I'm still yet to see a hotel with a 4K tv in it anyway and will probably be playing on my laptop anyway.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Since the Chromecast Ultra is normally $54.99 on its own, and you get 3 months of the $9.99-level service, the $130 Founders Edition pack seems...not exactly impressive for early adopters. You're in effect buying the controller for $45, the Chomecast at normal price, and three months of service at normal price.

Not terrible by any means, but it doesn't feel like a special offering. The chance to choose your name is one of the most insane pitches I've ever heard for something like this, and I wouldn't mention it, but I've heard Harrison bringing it up as a "special" perk unprompted in a few different interviews.

I totally agree the "pick your name first" pitch is totally laughable as a perk. You can tell they knew they needed an additional bulletpoint but didn't have anything. Something like a limited edition carry case for the controller+chromecast would've been a nice extra perk.

But I don't think the founders pack is a bad deal. Chromecast Ultra usually sells for $70, the current price of $55 is a sale. Even if the controller is overpriced at $70, I think there's still enough wiggle room in the "mental value" of 3-months + buddy pass that it's a very fair early adopter pack. In most contexts you'd expect to get fleeced as an early adopter. Here, you're getting a fair price, and the main downside would be if you already own a chromecast (which i do fwiw :/ ).

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Do you have a link to see their 1 party output or is that not know yet?

It's mostly not known right now. But they hired Jade Raymond, (who was a lead creator of the Assassin's Creed franchise and led the creation of new IP at Ubisoft) to run Stadia's first party. They've brought on Jack Buser who was the manager of PSN, PS+, PS Home, and PS Now as director of business development. And of course Phil Harrison, who has previously been executive level at both Playstation and Xbox.

Compare this to when Xbox first launched and the head of Microsoft Game Studios was Robbie Bach, who was previously working on MS Office. Similarly, if you look at Amazon's attempt to start a gaming division, they hired people who hadn't previously done much in the gaming industry.

The approach Google is taking is serious, they're hiring the kind of people with a proven record to do the job of building a gaming 1st party. It would be totally incongruous to pull the plug on the entire effort in a year, even if it utterly flops at launch.

Deleted member 16365

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

There's also all the Destiny DLC, and who knows what other "free" games during the period when only founders will access Stadia. For me it was more about getting access this year so that I can play the fall Ubi games which is why I preordered. But yes, getting to lock up your name isn't the draw they claim it is.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
There's also all the Destiny DLC, and who knows what other "free" games during the period when only founders will access Stadia. For me it was more about getting access this year so that I can play the fall Ubi games which is why I preordered. But yes, getting to lock up your name isn't the draw they claim it is.

I thought Destiny 2 was just the standard/current game with the paid service?

Status
Not open for further replies.