• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
google on their way to launch stadia

tenor.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Google. Google you're one of the largest corporations on earth. Google you have your own nation wide shipping service. Google why are you launching when the manufacturing isn't completely done.

Google what is going on.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
I mean, I doubt this will be important in the long run and if the wait time is 2 weeks, will plenty people care? Maybe not.

BUT stuff like this just constantly makes you shake your head at this launch. Like man Google are not helping themselves be painted in good light.

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
I don't think Google really cares about this. Its just a fun project from some project manager team to see what other markets the company can effortlessly expand to. And if it fails, its not like they put a lot of money, time, or effort into it.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
I was excited the day this was announced. That quickly turned around with google's amazing PR surrounding this bullshit. If they don't want this succeed, why should I? This thing is fucking dead on arrival.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
It's incredible how every new piece of information is making this deal even worse.
It's impressive actually. If I was any smarter I would say they were shooting themselves in the foot on purpose because they simply don't want Stadia to succeed. But there couldn't possibly be anything to gain by throwing empty promises out there to garner attention and money from desperate gamers- oh wait.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whoever Google has in charge of Stadia must be reprimanded like now. They somehow keep getting bad and bad news every week, it's absurd.

To be fair, this also means that the Founders Edition has sold out, which is pretty good for them.

mrglcs

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Whoever Google has in charge of Stadia must be reprimanded like now. They somehow keep getting bad and bad news every week, it's absurd.

To be fair, this also means that the Founders Edition has sold out, which is pretty good for them.
But how many FE's did they have available? Like someone said in another thread, if I bake one muffin and sell one muffin, they're sold out.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But how many FE's did they have available? Like someone said in another thread, if I bake one muffin and sell one muffin, they're sold out.
Unknown, but if Google manufactured (for example) "just" 10 units it's because that's the number of units they need to sell to be profitable. So in any case, it's a success for them.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Unknown, but if Google manufactured (for example) "just" 10 units it's because that's the number of units they need to sell to be profitable. So in any case, it's a success for them.

They're also now selling a "Premiere" version which is the same thing except with a white controller and no buddy pass or name reserve.

alexbull_uk

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Incredible. Piss off just about the only people that are actually excited about the product before it's even out.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
So much about Stadia makes sense when you realise that Google is still a company led by developers and engineers. Even after all these years, they still don't understand that consumers don't want phased rollouts and stress tests and long betas and inconsistent experiences. Because for the development community these things are normal.

But they're launching a consumer service, in a market that's getting a ton of attention, so it's no surprise they're floundering.

The part I don't get is why Google doesn't recognise this and change its culture - even if it's just for things like Stadia, Android, and their Pixel hardware.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
this whole project is a big test balloon as it seems, Google just wants data anyways and Stadia will give them data: what is played, how long is one playing, when is someone playing, how many games does someone buy etc...

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Lol. This is obviously because they don't want their servers to crash and burn instantly. Embarrassing all around

May 18, 2018
Guess not many are gonna pre-order now that's for sure.

If only they included something other than D2, I may have give it a shot.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
What I don't get is that they only just announced the release date. They must have known this then, so why even announce the date?

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Am i correct in remembering Phil Harrison was at Sony when PS3 launched, Microsoft when Xbox One launched and now Google when Stadia is launching? Does he have bad luck or is he actually a decisive factor in these messed up launches?

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
Am i correct in remembering Phil Harrison was at Sony when PS3 launched, Microsoft when Xbox One launched and now Google when Stadia is launching? Does he have bad luck or is he actually a decisive factor in these messed up launches?
He's an agent of destruction working for the secret mastermind Ken Kutaragi.

Spider-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why do I feel this is being done on purpose because they are worried about too much too fast?

There is absolutely no logical reason for this to be delayed. Chromcasts they probably have a shit ton of and the controller is nothing special.

Plus there is no way this is selling at the numbers a new Sony or Nintendo console would at launch.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
With how gigantic Google is, how do they keep fucking up their vision of features and applications? Gmail is in a horrendous state, Android is feeling bloated even on my 3XL, Chrome is a resource hog galore and their phone vision is just...well I have more reason to go iPhone now. Granted Google Keyboard is actually super sufficient, most of their choices almost seem like they set themselves up to fail rather than succeed.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like every time I read news on Stadia it's getting even worse and worse.
Nah, this place inflames every nugget of Stadia news with drive by posts, shut posting and a obsessive need to tell anonymous posters why they would never buy this product.

This particular news does suck, it should have advised people who purchased recently. But as there is no cost to cancel the order, at least your can do that

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
They had how long? Didn't they also have limited numbers of units that"sold out". You should be able to provide those if that was your target

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I'm guessing it's (secretly) by design, even if they wouldn't admit that.

A somewhat staggered launch will help temper the initial load on their servers and allow them time to fix any potential issues before becoming wider spread to more users and any negative word of mouth that could cause. Let's be realistic: day one players are beta testers.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Google are absolutely abysmal at launching products.

Since Gmail, which I suppose is easier since there's no hardware involved, what have they launched that has become a success? Android and Chromecast are about it, I think - and Android was acquired rather than developed from scratch by them.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
I thought you had to buy a "founders edition" to be allowed to access the service at all before next year? Or did I get the wrong end of the stick?
You do, but the question will be is your initial access tied to it after you create your account. Which hopefully will be done beforehand and it not in the founder's physical package

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London

Something similar happened to the base level of the Pixel Slate and it later turned out they didn't really make any except for a bit of demo stock, so I don't think that's a given.

Google do not have a good track record here, and sometimes they do the worst with products that have not sold many units.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
It's another bit of bad news, and it's fun to laugh at people some times...but I really wish people would acknowledge that this "launch" doesn't need to be successful or run like any other launch.

The point of Stadia, for the mass market, is that it's a store front (and ultimately a platform) that's just there. It can exist on every gaming-related youtube video ever watched...just click the "play now" button.

I couldn't find the gaming-related statistic but in 2018 Youtube had 1.9 BILLION active users... that's a LOT of eyeballs already pointed straight at your videogame store.

This hardware launch is to get some early adopters and build some buzz about streaming games, which it absolutely IS failing at....but Stadia doesn't need customers, it needs developers!

IMHO the way to make stadia successful is:-
1. Just fund a bunch of ports - get the Stadia button existing on a bunch of youtube pages tied to ported games - if the button is there people will click it.

2. Fund some "first party" stuff to showcase what cloud-gaming could really be like. 1,000 player battle royales, or giant MMOs, huge interactive quiz shows (like that mobile one with cash prizes) etc etc.