• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
Hence me emphasizing "before the game is out".
They're not beholden to an embargo at any point. They're not getting the game directly from the company. I agree that people should avoid spoilery titles and thumbnails out of courtesy but it cannot be enforced.

EDIT: Actually I don't know if that's true since I just remembered there were some legal actions with leaked Pokémon games in the past. If I'm wrong you can disregard me.

Arsenic13

Nov 11, 2017
I hate spoilers too, but ... like...

source-3.gif

Mcjmetroid

Oct 28, 2017
Limerick, Ireland
I find the lack of understanding of the opening post very hard to believe..the first 2 pages of this thread are the usual wasteland of not reading the OP properly and trying to post something quick and 'witty' to get on the first page but even still.

The related videos feature on YouTube can spoil things for you and it is an issue that I have had especially when using a phone. I refuse to believe some of you haven't had an issue with this.

To those saying YouTube don't care about what gamers think then why did they recently create a YouTube gaming spinoff app to cater to gamers. That specifically (and I'm not sure if it has) should have some anti spoiler measures put in place.

I also think with YouTube some of the responsibility should go with the content creators, in particular with the thumbnails. I'm not sure how the hell they can get around it though. I know If I posted up final boss footage from a game without saying "spoilers" in the thread title the same people would be winging like lunatics.

Also just because you personally can't think of a solution doesn't mean you can dismiss the fact that it is a problem for some people.

Sometimes your experiences are not the same as everyone else's .. imagine that!

Easy Rider

Nov 2, 2017
I agree OP. What about not suggesting videos of new games with the words End, Final, Boss or Part X from some playthrough. Or just letting you temporarily blacklist things like any video with God of War or Star Wars in the title from your suggestions. Certainly not perfect, but would't hurt and could be a start.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Easiest solution to this is to add a spoiler tag just like they have for nsfw videos and videos that have that tag are no pushed to people by default unless an option is ticked

GamerEra

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Click on the 3 dots next to video and click don't show me video recommendations from this channel.

The people uploading these clips are after views. Don't worry you won't miss out on anything. These types of channels don't play the rules and usually end up getting 3 strikes and suspended anyway.

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At first, I didn't see what the big deal was. Then I opened YouTube earlier today and have had many major boss fights and a nice moment from God of War spoiled for me because a channel got a retail copy early, posted nearly the entire game and used spoiler thumbnails and titles.

I'm now on your side, OP. YouTube should allow you to mute certain things like Twitter does. I should have God of War spoiled for me simply because I've watched a lot of God of War videos in the past.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Don't watch videos of a game you're currently playing.

I don't know how this is Google's responsibility.

YouTube's recommendations can be annoying at times. I think a quicker solution to this would be an option to turn off recommendations completely, and on your 'Home' only show what you've subscribed to... but Creators would flip out and then there'd be an 80 page thread about how Google is taking their money away.

I'm really careful about spoilers though. When I Care about something and I'm a day behind, I go on media blackouts in general, and for the most part, I never have anything spoiled for me. Like, I'm 2 years behind in Game of Thrones, but for the most part, I still don't really know what happened last season.

Not

Oct 25, 2017
US
Yup.

*Game comes out yesterday*

YouTube 1st recommended video: FINAL BOSS FIGHT 1080 HD

Oh cool, that's a thumbnail of the final boss too, that's great

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
I don't know how this is Google's responsibility.
They did write that algorithm.

And the main problem – I can't disable those recommendations.
Don't watch videos of a game you're currently playing
If only. Google also uses Google Search history for "Recommendations", so it's much bigger problem. For example, if you google "buy [game] on Amazon", then after 1-2 days you'll see related videos to that game on YouTube too, even if you didn't watch any videos.

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Unfortunately avoidance is the only safe bet. They could and should do more with things like Youtube to let you turn off recommended videos and have that work across the web version, all phone/tablet app versions etc. for sure. But even if they did you risk seeing a spoiler on social media or a forum etc. as you're at the mercy of others.

I just try to play games near launch, see movies in near release, watch shows near airing when I can. If I can't I just hope for the best, avoid obvious high-risk for spoiler places and accept that some things are going to get spoiled if I can't get to them for a while. Just the way it is.

I know that's not helpful, but that's the best advice any of us can give. None of us have the power to snap our fingers and change how YouTube and other sites work, or stop people being inconsiderate about spoilers on social media, forums etc.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So ... the people that post a games ending before the game is out are the victims.

Im not saying there needs to be a set date for pubs to pick but your ass definitely deserves a copyright strike if you're putting that out before release. But if that happened, I'm sure you'd still see it as unfair to the YouTuber.

Yes, I would, because yes, it would be unfair. Unless you can provide a legal justification for why such a strike would be valid, how the upload date has any bearing on whether the video creator is infringing upon the publisher/developer's intellectual property rights?

When it's someone else's media it's more than a little fair. It's called an embargo. If it's something I actually made, then yes I can put it out whenever I want.

An embargo in this context is a mutual agreement to withhold a review or other content for the privilege of receiving and being able to experience the game prior to release. Someone who manages to snag an early copy off the street is under no such obligation.

JayBabay

Oct 25, 2017
California
So, I watch a lot of YouTube while doing paperwork and desk work. Just something to have playing like Gaming News, World News, OST's etc.. YouTube is a huge source for all of that entertainment and it's not as easy as some people make it sound to just avoid YouTube for one week. Like, from a consumer perspective, I understand there are much more serious issues with YouTube, but OP is not far off by suggesting a coding solution to this problem. This type of problem in particular SEEMS like it can be SOMEWHAT remedied with a small amount of effort to filter out suggested videos with specific phrases in the titles during the first 2-3 weeks of a new game or movies release. I don't expect it to be perfect and stop thumbnails, but at the least, it shouldn't be a major deal to have it stop suggested video's with "Final/Last Boss" or "Ending" in the title.

I opened up YouTube on a work computer that I didn't watch any GoW videos on, but use it to listen to gaming news and some podcasts and no joke, on the homepage "GOD OF WAR FINAL BOSS" gtfo with that shit people should have to search specifically for that, there's no circumstance that it should pop up.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
I just installed it 5 minutes before making the post. Learned my lesson, it was surprisingly a non issue in the past for me and I luckily didn't see enough of the thumbnail to spoil myself.
I finally got it because I got tired of reaction videos and such every time I looked up a game.

TheRatedD

Apr 15, 2018
This has been an issue for me for a while. There was a story spoiler from AC Unity that was ruined for me through a blunt title that was a related video. I'm lucky nothing major has hit me with God of War.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It really is something, man. I never, ever look at God of War stuff on Youtube and I still got a channel full of spoiler videos in my recommended list.

Ladioss

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Man, the obsession of spoilers nowadays is a bit much, I think. It's just a part of life.

If you want to avoid most spoilers, you have to stay off the internet. It's that simple.

Simple but to the point.

It's not the responsability of Google to pamper you if you are unable to use the internet. It's ridiculous.

They could easily solve this problem with some algorithm.

The hard part isn't implementation, it's explaining precisely and concisely what you want it to do.

Oct 25, 2017
Simple but to the point.

It's not the responsability of Google to pamper you if you are unable to use the internet. It's ridiculous.

The hard part isn't implementation, it's explaining precisely and concisely what you want it to do.
Asking not to be linked to a game's ending before it's released after watching an unrelated video is not asking to be pampered. I get that you're indifferent toward the issue, but that is not an unreasonable request.

This was small concern that became a much bigger problem this week. The standard response if this keeps happening shouldn't be "well just stay off YouTube", a site that people use for more than just watching video game coverage.

If you're gonna recommend God of War stuff, how about reviews or streams or Part 1 of a walkthrough, how are we getting straight to the ending. Someone's doing something they should not be doing.

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
This is actually what Google does - trying "to pamper you" by suggesting content that you have not asked for. And if they wrote so bad algorithm, maybe they shouldn't push it to production then.

Same for many modern web services, btw. Like Instagram, FB, Twitter and other crap. It's like people forgot about usability these days.

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
Yup.

*Game comes out yesterday*

YouTube 1st recommended video: FINAL BOSS FIGHT 1080 HD

Oh cool, that's a thumbnail of the final boss too, that's great

Thats not even the worst ones I casually saw a glimpse of when it comes to spoiler thumbnails. Ive seen:

"Kratos receives Blades of......"

"Atreus finds out Kratos is a....."

"Kratos fights Stranger......"

I literally almost deleted the Youtube just because the titles alone was spoiling the game for me and like others I just want to stay in the dark about the game. Its very frustrating.

YellowBara

Oct 26, 2017
Youtube is never gonna fix this issue so the responsibility just lies on you really. Game you're excited for coming out soon? Maybe don't go on it.

If you think it sucks, then well, don't use the site. Really the only option you got, unfortunately. They're just never gonna accommodate it since it's too hard of an issue to fix and Google/Youtube doesn't give a shit since they'll get money on clicks anyways.

Oh well.

Deleted member 1003

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, it's a videogame section...? You want to talk about decapitation videos by ISIS here?
Uh no. I was merely making light of the situation. YT will continue to do whatever it wants to do. Don't go to YouTube if spoilers are that bad. I can't go to it right now as my feed it full of GoW spoiler-refic videos. But I'm not making a big deal out of it.

Dec 3, 2017
Truly good art can't be spoiled. Doesn't matter whether it's a movie, book, or game. If it relies on surprise that heavily, it's probably not that great.

Twelvy

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo
I wish there was an option to turn off recommendations at all. Of course, this isn't in Google or Youtube interest, so we'll never get it

EkStatiC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece
Terrible post. You're on a videogame forum.
The solution is simple man, don't watch the video with the spoilers.

If you ask a company to solve this simple problem for you, then yes it's a first world problem and have nothing to do if we are on a gaming forum or not.

It is like the OP ask for a company to hire a guy just to tell him that he must breath in order to be alive...

Just That Simple

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
The solution is simple man, don't watch the video with the spoilers.
What about YouTube recommending videos with spoilers in the title and/or thumbnail?

Something like "God of War Mecha-Kratos battle FINAL BOSS HD" with a picture of Mecha-Kratos as the thumbnail appearing as a suggested video because I watched a trailer for the game.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
Clear your watch and search history. Every time. So if you need help from a walkthrough vid, clear your history after that too for example.

EkStatiC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece
What about YouTube recommending videos with spoilers in the title and/or thumbnail?

Something like "God of War Mecha-Kratos battle FINAL BOSS HD" with a picture of Mecha-Kratos as the thumbnail appearing as a suggested video because I watched a trailer for the game.
Same, don't watch it. Images and titles without context is meaningless.

If anyone showed me an image of snake and liquid fighting at the end of mgs4 i will be thirsty to know how we get there, not angry because someone "spoiled" me the game.

UnNamed

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm really puzzled by some of the answer i found to solve the OP problem.

So, basically, instead of solving the problem, maybe sending tons of mail to google or ask for penalize those channel who constantly shows spoilers for clicks or other solution to close or exclude to further partnership who create this channels, readers suggest simply to find a work around or some solution which not only solve the problem but penalize you instead of who cause the issue.

It's like when Harry Potter last book was released and you have spoilers in TV or radio, and someone suggested you to not see TV or turn on the radio. It's an unfeasible solution, Youtube IS the television for lot o people nowadays.

Andrew Lucas

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Uh no. I was merely making light of the situation. YT will continue to do whatever it wants to do. Don't go to YouTube if spoilers are that bad. I can't go to it right now as my feed it full of GoW spoiler-refic videos. But I'm not making a big deal out of it.

Oh, yes. Ignore feedback, great fuckin' job you would do at the helm.

You were. But I like I said, if you're worried at serious problems within YouTube not related to gaming, you are at the wrong section, so don't shut people down cause you're too mature.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, I had God of War's final boss spoiled for me in a YouTube video image that showed up on my feed. Pissed me off.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Truly good art can't be spoiled. Doesn't matter whether it's a movie, book, or game. If it relies on surprise that heavily, it's probably not that great.

Art can be spoiled. Being spoiled doesn't mean that an experience becomes trash, it just means that you can't experience the full intended impact of the work. It's lessened, the impact of the revelations contained within it is are muted or gone entirely.

The people who worry about spoilers aren't lying about how they feel, and a subjective perspective is irrelevant how they feel about spoilers.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
lmao I dont even have a ps4 so i havent watched any ps4 related content on youtube, but I still got a recomendation for a GoW final boss fight video.

Deleted member 1003

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, yes. Ignore feedback, great fuckin' job you would do at the helm.

You were. But I like I said, if you're worried at serious problems within YouTube not related to gaming, you are at the wrong section, so don't shut people down cause you're too mature.
I'm not worried about anything on YT and I'm not worried about you. I don't have the solution and I hope everyone can avoid spoilers. Apologies if I was rude or dismissive to anyone.

Have a nice day.

Last edited:

Prompto

Oct 25, 2017
Been using youtube on incognito specifically to avoid spoilers. Still just got final boss spoilers on the front page without watching anything video game related >_>

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Let's kill custom thumbnails again.

This would solve OP's problem and it remove all those ugly dudes gurning at the camera.