• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017

Ty4on

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
what I'm confused by is the return of the 3.5mm jack.

If the Pixel 4 doesn't have it, then it's a bit of a mess. Why does a mid range have a key feature that the flagship doesn't?

Why did they remove in the first place?
People shopping for cheaper devices care more about practical features like a headphone jack than a thinner build etc. I think most budget devices feature one and budget phones were the last to get rid of replaceable batteries.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
With the exchange rate, 299 euros is about $400 in the states. Both the G6+ and G5+ were priced lower, IIRC.
I understand that, but don't moto phones follow the stupid 1€ = 1$ rule? The G7+ happens to not be available in the USA at all (guys, I feel teribly sorry looking at your awful budget smartphone market lol) but if it was it would be at 300$ no?

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I still think these things will continue to underperform. They just have no awareness outside of nerds.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
This is being called mid tier/Junior flagship. There are decent ~$200 Android budget options.

The mid-tier/junior flagship doesn't have a lot of value these days, unfortunately. A lot of the mid-tier phones got cheaper and cheaper towards the budget end, and others got upgraded to near flagship tier.

The 600-series Snapdragon processors are quite common on the budget end these days...

I understand that, but don't moto phones follow the stupid 1€ = 1$ rule? The G7+ happens to not be available in the USA at all (guys, I feel teribly sorry looking at your awful budget smartphone market lol) but if it was it would be at 300$ no?

Oh, I must've been misinformed about the availability of the G7+. I always thought that it was available in the states.

But yeah, checking Amazon.com, it's around $300 USD for the international version... which makes it a really good buy. Interesting... thinking of picking this up.

Oct 25, 2017
México
You guys are missing tons of great cheaper phones from Xiaomi and Huawei just because your Chinaphobia.

Both companies make gorgeous and affordable phones.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
The mid-tier/junior flagship doesn't have a lot of value these days, unfortunately. A lot of the mid-tier phones got cheaper and cheaper towards the budget end, and others got upgraded to near flagship tier.

The 600-series Snapdragon processors are quite common on the budget end these days...

I would take the Google Camera, OLED screen and 3 years of monthly security updates for a few hundred more. Plus the bezels aren't fabulous but otherwise I really like the design of the phone. But if you are right and consumers don't see the value, I hope Google keeps it around for another year at least as I'll strongly consider the 4a.

VZ_Blade

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like a tempting upgrade from my SE. Will probably bite if the post-launch impression continues to be good.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
You guys are missing tons of great cheaper phones from Xiaomi and Huawei just because your Chinaphobia.

I used to have a Mi A1, android one and all, but the software got progresively more buggy.
7.1 to 8.0 was mostly ok, but 8.0 to 8.1 deleted all the SMS for a lot of people, including me. Not a big deal in practical terms since no one uses SMS in Europe, but unnaceptable nonetheless. And 8.1 to 9.0 was the worst update. It broke the 800 MHz 4 GHz band (band 20) FOR A WHOLE MONTH, until the first security patch after that arrived. And it introduced a lot of other bugs that were never fixed, such as the 5 GHz wifi hotspot not working, random battery drain for no reason, apps visually frezzing until I multitask out of them and back in, etc. I tried factory resetting it, even flashed the stock ROM from stracth, the bugs were still there, in fact they're common, it wasn't only me. I ended up using LineageOS for a while but in the end I got fed up and got my Moto G7 Plus because the G5 Plus I had before the Mi A1 was the most stable software experience I've ever had, never gave me any problems. Even if I had wanted to stick with Xiaomi... these are my requirements for a phone:
  • Stock or near stock Android
  • Headphone jack
  • Good performance
  • USB-C
  • 64 GB+ onboard storage
  • 4+ GB RAM
  • Unlockable bootloader (this is the only requirement I might entertain dropping, but I'd prefer not to)
  • Bonus points for MicroSD slot
The Mi A2 has no headphone jack so it's an inmediate non-negotiable non-buy. The other option was the Mi A2 lite which is... another phone with a Snapdragon 625? really? Also no USB C
I have no "chinaphobia" at all but I fucking hate MIUI from the bottom of my soul and, in my personal experience, Xiaomi's attempt at Android One is too buggy. So for now at least I'm out of the Xiaomi train.
And Huawei... non-stock android and non-unlockable bootloader. Nope.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, the A1, A2 and A2 lite are not Widevine L1 certificied meaning they can only play Netflix among other DRM protected stuff at 480p or 540p. Meanwhile my G7 Plus does netflix at full 1920x1080.

Last edited:

Selbran

Oct 25, 2017
I just picked up my unit from Best Buy. The included $100 GC was enough to push me over the edge and I saw they had some in-store so I pulled the trigger right then and there.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly the price isn't bad at all for a Google phone. If Apple were to release a "budget" phone it north of this price range that's for sure.

One question, I haven't seen answered since I just woke up from nap lol is it the same camera as the regular Pixel 3?

This is rather enticing as a backup phone.

Edit: Considering they out the headphone jack in this one, perhaps that's indication that it'll he back for the Pixel 4. What wouldn't make sense to me is removing it from their flagship and putting it in their lesser model so with that said I feel they may add it to the 4.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
I would take the Google Camera, OLED screen and 3 years of monthly security updates for a few hundred more. Plus the bezels aren't fabulous but otherwise I really like the design of the phone. But if you are right and consumers don't see the value, I hope Google keeps it around for another year at least as I'll strongly consider the 4a.

Honestly, the OLED screen is a weird feature to have because they could've used an LCD, priced it $50 or more lower, and completely cleaned house.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
I just picked up my unit from Best Buy. The included $100 GC was enough to push me over the edge and I saw they had some in-store so I pulled the trigger right then and there.

Will be interested in hearing your impressions. What phone is it replacing for you?

I also wish I knew how long the $100 GC offer will be around, I may jump on it tomorrow myself. My old original Moto Z Play is really long in the tooth at this point.

Selbran

Oct 25, 2017
Will be interested in hearing your impressions. What phone is it replacing for you?

I also wish I knew how long the $100 GC offer will be around, I may jump on it tomorrow myself. My old original Moto Z Play is really long in the tooth at this point.
I'm coming from an iPhone 7 that is pretty much on its last legs due to an aging battery. It sucks because I've been trying to keep my iPhone as long as possible, but I already replaced the battery once and I feel like this time it died even faster.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Im curious how the SoC in the P3a compares with my SD821 on my Pixel 1?

Last edited:

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
I'm coming from an iPhone 7 that is pretty much on its last legs due to an aging battery. It sucks because I've been trying to keep my iPhone as long as possible, but I already replaced the battery once and I feel like this time it died even faster.

Ah, that's good reasoning. Honestly, my Moto Z Play is still great on battery since I had to replace it after a year, so this particular phone and battery is only about two years old, but it's slowed down to a crawl (to be fair I haven't bothered factory resetting though) and it's no longer receiving updates, not even security ones, so that's driving my desire to upgrade too.

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
EDIT: Forgot to mention, the A1, A2 and A2 lite are not Widevine L1 certificied meaning they can only play Netflix among other DRM protected stuff at 480p or 540p. Meanwhile my G7 Plus does netflix at full 1920x1080.

That's like one of those hidden things that adds to the cost of the phone that nobody cares to mention most of the time.

I don't know but most times you see a US dollar figure and there is usually £100 difference, more recently £50. £400 is not a budget phone price in the UK. It prices itself out of the cheap phone market but isn't enough for the high end market.

You guys have other cheaper options, it's more limited in the US. And that VAT plus UK duty add up a lot compare to the pretax number in the US.

Last edited:

jaydogg691

Feb 7, 2018
Los Angeles
My brother just got this deal.

This phone came just in time when his Lighting to 3.5mm dongle broke for his iPhone. No headphone jack has been the biggest complaint of his iPhone. :/

Now he's complaining to me about switching all his Lighting chargers to USB-C Chargers. :p

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, that's good reasoning. Honestly, my Moto Z Play is still great on battery since I had to replace it after a year, so this particular phone and battery is only about two years old, but it's slowed down to a crawl (to be fair I haven't bothered factory resetting though) and it's no longer receiving updates, not even security ones, so that's driving my desire to upgrade too.

Moto Z Play has godly battery life. They did some IO and disk write wizardly with it to cut power consumption.

Having said that, I'd wait to see if Moto comes out with a Z4 Play.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Verizon has this deal right now for it

65IZXmt.png

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Moto Z Play has godly battery life. They did some IO and disk write wizardly with it to cut power consumption.

Having said that, I'd wait to see if Moto comes out with a Z4 Play.

I'm not really interested in the Moto phones anymore since the updates were always spotty (though I was surprised I got as many Android OS updates as I did), and I miss having a Google phone since my Nexus 5. I bought the Z Play specifically for the battery life since I had a very specific use-case at the time where I was frequently on airplanes, into meetings, back on airplanes, and was doing that frequently enough that I didn't want to have to worry about keeping a phone charged. This is not really the case for me anymore so I don't really need the godly battery life anymore.

I went ahead and ordered 3a to pick up at my Best Buy tomorrow, lol!! The $100 gift card will go towards a 4K Blu-Ray player to go with the C9 OLED I'm planning to buy in a few months.

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. 3a is a solid option in the US. Dead in other regions due to exchange rates and plethora of options from China.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good article on Android Police

During my briefing at Google's hardware division last week, I learned a fair bit about the new Pixel 3a from the team behind it. One message that team wants to send: Pixel 3a and 3a XL are not "one-off" devices. Google is committing - at least for the foreseeable future - to releasing affordable versions of its Pixel smartphones, presumably on an annual basis.

Source

It basically puts them back where they were before with the Nexus line of products.

Also, Dieter from The Verge made a great point.
"This is a solid phone that costs $400 and has a great camera" "That combination of those 3 things... never happens"

Deleted member 907

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
GSMarena has benchmarks that put the 3a xl at a 25% decrease in performance compared to the 2 xl. I'd say it's an upgrade if you are coming from a 1, but not worth it for any phone with an 835 snapdragon or newer unless you REALLY want vanilla android with the camera and headphone jack.

The best deal is trading in a 1 for a 3a through t-mobile. It's a no brainer if you plan on staying with t-mobile.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
And that's why I now buy Xiaomi phones. My wife got the Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite... it has Android One (clean Android with updates directly from Google). No modified ROM.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_One

• Snapdragon 625 (14 nm)
  • 64GB of storage
  • 4GB of RAM
  • 1080p Full HD display
  • Massive 4000 mAh battery
  • Dual SIM
  • Android One (stock Android) currently in Android 9
  • Metal build
  • Slim bezels
  • Dual camera
  • Fingerprint sensor
https://www.gsmarena.com/xiomi_mi_a2_lite-review-1804.php

And I bought it for $180 USD. And it's Xiaomi (excellent brand). Sure, there is a few compromoses like no USB C, waterprooing and NFC, but for the price is worth it. I'm waiting for the Mi A3 Lite myself.

gsmarena_008.jpg
Comparing a SD625 Xiaomi Android One phone to an official budget Pixel is dishonest. Sure it doesn't fill a certain quota of buzzwords like Notches, metal or glass build, and value for money, but it does offer value for its price. At 400€, there aren't a lot of options that do everything it does as well For reference:
-Samsung has OLED panels in their mid range, but their Exnyos SoCs are inferior even to the SD660.
-Huawei is in the same boat, pushing the Kirin 710 which is roughly an overclocked SD636.
-Xiaomi has tons of options however MIUI, widevine drm lock outs, and other minor details are detractors for most.
-Motorola is too focused in feature segmentation.
-Nokia is a bit overpriced when released, have to wait 6 months for a price drop. They also have the worst notch implementation.

I remember when we getting good budget phones for from 99 to 199?
Amen, nowadays you have to look at anything around 300€ to get the same feature rich experience

Green Marine

Oct 25, 2017
El Paso

I used a LeEco phone for two years. The problem with a lot of the Chinese phones outside of OnePlus these days is LTE band support. A Pocophone doesn't do me much good if I have to keep the previous device on me as Wi-Fi hotspot. And then you have weird instances where the better version of the Moto G7 Power ($269 for 4GB / 64GB) does not have adequate band support, and now OnePlus is apparently only releasing the gigantic OnePlus 7 Pro in the US. The off contract market seems like it is being deliberately side swiped, but I'm not sure to what end when everyone walking into a carrier store picks up an Apple or Samsung device.

Pixel 3a with the gift card promotions isn't bad, but I'm becoming increasingly glad I got the $277 GS9 promo with cricket. It unlocks after six months of service at whatever data tier you want, it checks the personal boxes for me (SD card, headphone jack, no effing notch), and there's nothing a SD845 won't be able to do in the foreseeable future. Hopefully what Google is doing reinvigorates some competition in the off contract market - I'm not sure what Sony, LG, and HTC have been doing besides shedding market share lately.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Good article on Android Police

Source

It basically puts them back where they were before with the Nexus line of products.

Also, Dieter from The Verge made a great point.
"This is a solid phone that costs $400 and has a great camera" "That combination of those 3 things... never happens"
I like the trend of Google promising they not going to ghost a product

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
Just upgraded my wife to the P3a, she's been waiting for awhile for it to come out, 399 with 100 account credit through fi is pretty nice.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not really interested in the Moto phones anymore since the updates were always spotty (though I was surprised I got as many Android OS updates as I did), and I miss having a Google phone since my Nexus 5. I bought the Z Play specifically for the battery life since I had a very specific use-case at the time where I was frequently on airplanes, into meetings, back on airplanes, and was doing that frequently enough that I didn't want to have to worry about keeping a phone charged. This is not really the case for me anymore so I don't really need the godly battery life anymore.

I went ahead and ordered 3a to pick up at my Best Buy tomorrow, lol!! The $100 gift card will go towards a 4K Blu-Ray player to go with the C9 OLED I'm planning to buy in a few months.

I'm not gonna lie -- the Pixel 3a is actually on my radar for my next phone, but I have no illusions as to whether or not Google will actually sell enough of these things to keep the product line in the near future.

Speaking of that...

I like the trend of Google promising they not going to ghost a product

... I laughed waaaaay too loud at this :D

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
pump the brakes everyone
turns out these things have emmc storage on board

no wonder that verge video showed slower app launch times

i was pretty excited too... now i'm not so sure it's worth it

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
399 is considered budget and headphone jack is considered a feature, what a time to live in.
😎

Good price though. I would consider it if my phone craps out