• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you think Google’s gaming hardware will be?

• Actual console

Votes: 147 9.9%
  • Streaming box

Votes: 792 53.5%
  • Both

Votes: 498 33.7%
  • Controller

Votes: 42 2.8%

• Total voters

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's one thing to make and release a streaming product.

It's another thing to actually release it worldwide and have servers for it worldwide.

I fear it will be a US-based product for a long time and by the time it hits Europe, people won't care.

Tom Nook

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
D19H84FUcAAowvR.jpg:large

source: https://twitter.com/johnvoorhees

The google SuperBox.

greetdeath

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not against a streaming box (mainly because I have incredible gigabit internet), but I would prefer a physical console/box. If Project Stream was any indication on what they can deliver, they definitely will surprise a lot of people.

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's one thing to make and release a streaming product.

It's another thing to actually release it worldwide and have servers for it worldwide.

I fear it will be a US-based product for a long time and by the time it hits Europe, people won't care.
If they're actually serious about this I can't see them messing up like that, they've been prepping this for a while now and I imagine Google of all companies would be able to get servers up and running quite fast.

Deleted member 38397

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 15, 2018
"Just a controller"

So if the controller is the device that will connect to the net for streaming, how do the pictures get on your TV? Is there a bog standard Miracast/Chromecast HDMI dongle or something similar used? But then there will be extra lag in streaming images to the TV. So that can't be right.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Arghhh was hoping for a legit console to compete with the big guys.

Ah well, still interested in tuning in tomorrow.

Svearik

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Atlanta
Didn't someone suggest that there would be a controller with the necessary hardware built in? Seems to line with what he is suggesting. Still interested!

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
If it's a controller it'll still be big if they have games exclusive to their streaming service. Whether they had a streaming box or dedicated console doesn't matter if their streaming service can be used on any device.

I'm both excited and nervous about this and I hope we get to see nice games tomorrow.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the display looks too big to just a controller

edit: but it looks like there's only 1 display and usualy there's two one for the console and another for the controller

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I have an interest in the unveiling, but I doubt I will have any interest in the product itself.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
The quality of the graphics is not a problem, could easily be better thane PS4/XOne with a decent connection but the problem will be lag and framerate.

I know, it's just that I think they have to go for the highest settings. They don't have MS and Sony's problem that they have to stream Xbox and Playstation games so Google can go with better graphics.

Even on Xbox 2 and PS5 Sony and MS will still be constrained by their consoles and google can keep improving on graphics as PC hardware develops faster.

I asked about a way to test my connections to see how lag and frame rate will impact the experience. I wouldn't buy it without knowing is my connection is enough.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
I think the confusion is mostly about what they are going to show today, what is a product ready for public consumption, and what they've been experimenting with behind the scenes that's been causing gossip and buzz.

What I mean by this is: obviously they're going to do streaming stuff. Dongle, controller, whatever. Obviously that is going to be the main tentpole of this reveal. Do I think they've also been experimenting with and working towards a more traditional hardware box as well? Yes. I'm happy to say I'm quite confident in that based on conversations I've had. Is it ready to talk about? Is it something they'll actually ever follow through on and ship? Well, that's the question...