• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Klotera

Oct 27, 2017
So longtime iPhone user looking to move over. Anyone offer any thoughts on 6 be pro given the cost difference

It's all about that telephoto camera, really. The RAM, resolutions, and refresh rate upgrades on the Pro are nice, but don't move the needle on the user experience that much in day to day use, especially considering the cost difference.

For me, the telephoto camera was the single factor that pushed me to the pro, just because I knew I'd get a decent amount of use out of it. If you don't think you'll use a telephoto camera that much, though, better deal to go for the regular 6, I think.

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
Took my P6P out and about to test 5G and for some reason it always stays on LTE. However, my wife has an iPhone 12 Pro with 5G and in areas where she got 5G I only have LTE, but when performing speed tests both phones were equal speed (225 down / 35 up) which is comparable to 5G speeds. Shall I just leave it alone or go to AT&T and request a new SIM card?

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
so im always on wifi at home, but i did a test and LTE is literally more than 2x as fast as tmo 5guc in my house
i disabled 5g and my battery life is way better

not worth it

MrFarenheit

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Winnipeg, Canada
Just ordered a pixel6 through telus here in Canada. The difference in price between 6 and 6 pro as just to big. First android phone since I had a Samsung 6 edge

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
After finally getting to try these in store they are nice bit while not as big as online discourse would have you believe they are still pretty large. Going to hold out to pixel 7 and how the smaller version gets a telephoto next year.

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
so im always on wifi at home, but i did a test and LTE is literally more than 2x as fast as tmo 5guc in my house
i disabled 5g and my battery life is way better

not worth it
At least you get 5GUC, Here in South Florida T-mobile mostly just has "5G" (Which is really LTE with a new coat of paint) and that always hampers my battery life.

After about a week now with the phone and I'm getting an estimated 9h SOT from Accubattery, though there are a couple of pain points I have with the phone:
  • Phone heats up A lot when just doing some semi-heavy browsing (Most notably Tik tok likes to heat it up)
  • The Size of the phone and the removal of the Rear FP Sensor from my P5 has made opening the notification shade an arduous task at best. Swipe down on home screen is a life saver but It's definitely an adjustment.
    • Secondary point to this, the sensitivity on the double tap on back feature is insanely weak with a case, even when enabling the Increase sensitivity option. I basically have to tap my case super hard with my fingernail to get it to respond, and this is a thinnish Clear Spigen case too.
  • Assistant voice Typing is amazing but it has some issues with the more technical terms I use, though I write in English UK but I have an american Accent (Or lack thereof) so that might be the case.

Otherwise I've been finding this as a great improvement over my Pixel 5 and just feels like a more premium big brother to it. Helps that the phone is such a looker and I'm a huge fan of the white.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Glad I snagged a P6 on the tmobile switching promo. Killer phone for $100.

Only complaint so far is how slippery it is in hand with the glass back, which is something is new to me. Case will fix that.

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
Straight from Amazon, unlocked. I exchanged my SIM in the AT&T store, I'll test it later.
So I was able to test the 5G and even though the icon never said 5G on the status bar, I was able to see the Preferred Network setting and indeed I was in 5G. I turned it off because to be honest the service is pretty spotty in my side of the island, so hopefully that will help my battery, which was horrendous today.

MrFarenheit

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Winnipeg, Canada
Pixel 6 should be arriving today! Very excited to test it out. Anyone have any suggestions on how to quickly move my large amount of passwords over from the iOS keychain

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
I've heard a few weird things.

If the battery defeats the fingerprint reader is broken until you do a system reset

And

Even though the phone support 30-watt they are only 22 or 23 w?

And someone may have found a reference to facial unlock code which might be related to those promo photos that showed it as a feature

DarkSora

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Been playing around with my Pixel 6 so far and while I do like it, is the inner camera really dissapointing to others as well?

It's so grainy and bad....

Klotera

Oct 27, 2017
I've had my Pixel 6 since launch, but just today decided to do a couple side by sides outside with my mirrorless camera. I have a Sony a6400 paired with a Tamron 17-70 f/2.8. This lens is a great comparison because it's widest and longest focal lengths are close matches for the Pixel 6 Pro's regular and telephoto cameras, respectively. To try keep it as fair as possible, I used both in full auto mode and took the images straight out of the body, no manual post-processing in Lightrooom (which I would normally do for images from my Sony). I did, however, downscale the Sony images to 12.5 MP, since the Pixel is giving us 12.5 MP images from its 50/48MP sensors, so this seems to make it more fair in comparing detail rather than leaving the Sony ones at 24 MP.

In the wide shots, there's a much bigger difference. At a normal viewing size, the Pixel details holds up well and looks solid, as does the Sony. However, as you zoom in, the Pixel's image can look fairly over-sharpened and its detail falls apart faster compared to the Sony. There's also a lot of difference in color and lighting. The Pixel does not have any areas where the detail is blown out, unlike the Sony, thanks to the auto-hdr. However the downside to that is that it makes the overall image a lot flatter and you lose a sense of the lighting. You'd almost think I took them under different weather conditions. The Pixel went quite a bit cooler on colors than the Sony and the colors definitely don't feel as rich, though it could be argued the Sony is pushing the color a little too much. Overall, though, I can easily say the Sony image is quite a bit better, but the Pixel is still quite good.

The telephoto comparison is where I was really blown away by the Pixel. I really thought this would fair worse having the smaller sensor and narrower aperture, but wow, did it really hold its own against the Sony. Like, I'm floored how close it gets. Now, of course, this is in bright conditions, but still impressive. In this case, the two ended up with more similar color temperatures than the wide images. The Pixel's image keeps up with the detail of the Sony until you really, really, really pixel-peep. I didn't find it to look as over-sharpened as the Pixel's wide image did, either. Aside from the slight bokeh that you get from the Sony, even stepped down to f/4.5, these images don't look all that different, especially at normal viewing sizes.

Of course, these are also in fairly ideal lighting conditions and the larger sensor in the Sony will help more and more as you get into lower light situations, though Google does a lot of heavy lifting with its image processing to compensate. The Sony also has the advantage of being able to use a whole range of focal lengths, while you are stuck with 3 on the P6 Pro. I do lean heavily on 35mm and 50mm (APS-C) focal lengths when taking pictures on my Sony, neither of which has an equivalent on the P6 without relying on image scaling. All things being equal, I'd always prefer to have my a6400 available for a picture, but I'm glad that the Pixel 6 holds its own as well as it does, given that I don't haul my a6400 around with me everywhere.

(In order, Pixel main sensor, Sony 17mm, Pixel telephoto, Sony 70mm)

nAInnNb.jpg

g5D8UK8.jpg

qTCJDN0.jpg

OxPgXvM.jpg

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
This "recently heard songs" feature could be cool, but

1. it's hidden away (added an icon to home screen now)

2. It misses so many songs :(

Don Dada

Oct 27, 2017
The front camera is garbage on video chat, I'm pretty sure my pixel 2 looks much clearer than this. Have Google said anything about improving it? It looks like I'm using an original iPhone.

Rewrite

Oct 26, 2017
Fontana, California
There's a tiny November update rolling out now that apparently to a lot of users improves the fingerprint scanner. I'm currently downloading it now, but damn is optimizing the apps taking forever!! Going strong 30 minutes in lol and it's barely halfway.

Edit: just finished and yep, it DEFINITELY is an improvement!

Last edited:

GoodGamerGuy

Nov 15, 2017
Yeah the selfie camera is pretty trash, did a side by side with a friends Pixel 3a and that looked sort of better. I remember my Pixel 2XL also looking very good.
I hope they can fix it.
Also hope they can improve the main camera by decreasing the processing, I don't think the new camera sensors need as much google magic.

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
There's a tiny November update rolling out now that apparently to a lot of users improves the fingerprint scanner. I'm currently downloading it now, but damn is optimizing the apps taking forever!! Going strong 30 minutes in lol and it's barely halfway.

I'm updating but it's taking forever optimizing apps. Hope it fixes the fingerprint scanner issues, it's about the only thing that I don't enjoy about my new phone.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
This has to be he most temperamental fingerprint scanner I've ever used. This whole weekend I was lucky to get it to work 50% of the time.

Today it's been flawless.
Most of the time the finger printer needs a half second to read. But a few times it's been instant,it's strange.

Hopefully they can iron that out. My wife oneplus 6t is instant every time.
You can improve the scanning speed and realibility with this simple trick; register your default finger print more than once, I would say about three should do the trick.

Good luck

Any tips for a new pixel user?
Yeah, there are a few things you might appreciate:

-Enable one hand mode for easier navigation

-Enable gestures like double tapping the back of the phone to take a screenshot

-Enable or disable access to your Camera and Mic, this is a system wide feature

-Register the same finger print more than once for better detection

-You can disable the left swipe (news feed etc)

Last edited:

Fatalah

Sep 17, 2021

Since this 2nd update was pushed mid-month and is just 14 mb, the assumption is that it's a critical fix. I wonder if it's related to that strange bug some reported after letting their battery fully deplete.

On a related note, as an Unlocked Verizon Pixel owner, yesterday's update was delivered OTA. No sideloading necessary!

Update: Verizon's change log notes an improvement to the fingerprint sensor. (Android Police)

"The current software update improves the performance of your device's fingerprint sensor."

Last edited:

DarkSora

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Baterry life seems way improved!!

2 hours now playing youtube video and browsing and I'm only at 95%!

MrFarenheit

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Winnipeg, Canada
You can improve the scanning speed and realibility with this simple trick; register your default finger print more than once, I would say about three should do the trick.

Good luck

Yeah, there are a few things you might appreciate:

-Enable one hand mode for easier navigation

-Enable gestures like double tapping the back of the phone to take a screenshot

-Enable or disable access to your Camera and Mic, this is a system wide feature

-Register the same finger print more than once for better detection

-You can disable the left swipe (news feed etc)
Thanks for these! Up in Canada and no recent updates for me

DarkSora

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
The front camera is garbage on video chat, I'm pretty sure my pixel 2 looks much clearer than this. Have Google said anything about improving it? It looks like I'm using an original iPhone.

Yeah the selfie camera is pretty trash, did a side by side with a friends Pixel 3a and that looked sort of better. I remember my Pixel 2XL also looking very good.
I hope they can fix it.
Also hope they can improve the main camera by decreasing the processing, I don't think the new camera sensors need as much google magic.

This is the only thing bothering me about the phone right now (aside from the fingerprint scanner which is finally fixed.)

I REALLY hope they release an update to fix the grainineas and low quality photos. Such a downgrade after the amazing Pixel 3 front camera. :(

GoodGamerGuy

Nov 15, 2017
This is the only thing bothering me about the phone right now (aside from the fingerprint scanner which is finally fixed.)

I REALLY hope they release an update to fix the grainineas and low quality photos. Such a downgrade after the amazing Pixel 3 front camera. :(

Yep agree, I wonder will they say anything.
From what people online have said, the camera sensors and optics should allow for much better photos but I think they are over working their processing on the photos which don't really need it as much