• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do pixel phones not have the little LED notification light thingy? I don't know if it was a Oneplus thing or what but god damn I miss it. Used to be different colours depending what was there so i knew to open my phone or not.
You can try this app, it can replace the AOD and display a notification ring around the front camera or the whole screen.

play.google.com

Notification light for Pixel - Apps on Google Play

aodNotify - Notification light / LED for Pixel!

But if you want colors you'll need to pay for pro.

I tried it and it works well, but in the end I removed it, I don't want my phone to blink and call for engagement, I'll check for notifications myself, I just need to either move it slightly or tap the screen for it to show notifications.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
I'm loving the P6pro. I'm glad that I no longer have to take my pixel 3 to the gym for progress pics. Only the Pixel cameras show me what I see in the mirror. My Note 20 washed all the details out.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Fnac STILL hasn't shipped my gray Pixel 6. Preordered on the 25th. Anyone on the same boat?

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Photos on my 6 Pro are demonstrably better than anything I could do on my 4a. Quite impressive.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
You can try this app, it can replace the AOD and display a notification ring around the front camera or the whole screen.

play.google.com

Notification light for Pixel - Apps on Google Play

aodNotify - Notification light / LED for Pixel!

But if you want colors you'll need to pay for pro.

I tried it and it works well, but in the end I removed it, I don't want my phone to blink and call for engagement, I'll check for notifications myself, I just need to either move it slightly or tap the screen for it to show notifications.

Ah thanks that's perfect. I'll give that a try.

I don't mind it telling me when I have a message, I could just turn on vibrate too but I got so used to glancing at the phone every few hours it's hard to go back. I found myself not looking at it the entire day and missing messages from 8am which isn't a bad thing I suppose.

I don't have twitter / facebook / insta any of that shit so i'm not worried about it telling me I have a message or not as its likely only once or twice a day.

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone gotten wireless adaptive charging working? I have a daily alarm set for 8:30am and the setting is turned on, but the phone doesn't seem to go into adaptive charging mode. Is there any way to trigger it, or does it simply not work wirelessly? My partner's 4a uses it automatically, but plugged in obviously.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Does the screen just not light up when it gets a notification or something?

Pretty weird, since my old phone did. The icons on the locked screen are so small it's hard to even tell when I do get a notification.

Deleted member 12317

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How do I take screenshots or is there a screenshot shortcut I can enable?
You can take screenshot with Power + volume down like most Android phones.

You can also take a screenshot by going in the recent apps, there will be a "Take screenshot" button at the bottom.

You can also set the "double tap on the back" to take screenshots (in Settings, System, Gestures).

I think it can also be added to the accessibility shortcuts on the screen (have to enable them), but also in the "Hold Volume up + Volume down" panel when you customize it.

Fnac STILL hasn't shipped my gray Pixel 6. Preordered on the 25th. Anyone on the same boat?
On a French forum many have the same issue with Fnac and the gray P6, sometimes Fnac says they don't have a date, sometimes they give a date like the 8th next week.

One of the posts in the thread : https://forum.hardware.fr/hfr/gsmgp...ande-google-pixel-sujet_34285_30.htm#t2608995
But there's some more if you go back.

Does the screen just not light up when it gets a notification or something?

Pretty weird, since my old phone did. The icons on the locked screen are so small it's hard to even tell when I do get a notification.
Mine does but it depends on the app.
For example Snapchat shows the lock screen, but Outlook, Gmail and YouTube just show a notification on a dark screen like it's the AOD mode.
AOD is disabled and turn on the screen when receiving notifications is enabled.

Maybe you need to enable full notifications on the lock screen ?

Last edited:

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Even enabled this, but it just doesn't do it

Screenshot_20211105-150429.png

Deleted member 12317

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even enabled this, but it just doesn't do it

Screenshot_20211105-150429.png
I have the same settings.

Do the apps not waking up the screen have their notifications set to show the content on the lock screen to ? (not the global setting, but per notification type)

Maybe something is obstructing the proximity sensor ?
Do "tap to wake" work ?
If I put something on the proximity sensor (top of the screen) it won't, and I just got a YouTube notification doing that and the screen did not wake up.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I have the same settings.

Do the apps not waking up the screen have their notifications set to show the content on the lock screen to ? (not the global setting, but per notification type)

Maybe something is obstructing the proximity sensor ?
Do "tap to wake" work ?
If I put something on the proximity sensor (top of the screen) it won't, and I just got a YouTube notification doing that and the screen did not wake up.
Lift and tap to wake work fine, I'll check the app notification settings

Fatalah

Sep 17, 2021
So about the always on display. Is it worth keeping on? I've been using it since the day I got my Pixel, but I notice that the clock doesn't tend to move like my OnePlus 8 Pro and I'm afraid that it would cause burn in. Thoughts?

Also, I don't notice much battery drain with it on, but does it majorly impact it for you guys?

When I first got my Pixel 2 years ago, I accidentally enabled always-on screen and noticed a big battery drain.

Fatalah

Sep 17, 2021

I ordered this case Wednesday night and it was delivered Friday morning. Absolutely love it.

Amazon's delivery time was originally sometime next week, but the ETA kept improving. Super happy!

I am definitely a case person - I feel much more confident handling the phone with a rubber grip.

Going naked is just too scary and slippery for me!

Last edited:

brainie

Mar 30, 2019
Seeing a slight bit of that too, mainly in dark areas in high-contrast situations. Could be very wrong, but my first theory is/was that googles HDR-Magic acts too aggressive and tries to pull color out of where there's no color to be seen in the moment. Maybe pulling down the shadows a bit before taking the shot could help in these situations. Or hopefully a software update. Or they fucked up bigly.

Oh well, we'll see.
Update on that: It tried to test my theory by shooting raw+jpg for a day. Stupid as I am I couldn't reproduce that strange effect. Seems to happen only in very special conditions. At least on my 6 Pro.

But what I found out: The RAWs are actually pretty good and can lead to better results than google's processing, especially in "normal" conditions. In my eyes the image processing on this phone often feels a bit too aggressive (pulling the shadows up a bit too high and pretty strong sharpening) - probably because it was optimized for the smaller sensor of the old pixels and they yet have to find the right balance for the 6 series.

Anyways, the new sensor on the main camera is a beast. Can't wait for google to update the processing a bit to unleash it's full potential on a more regular basis.

Long story short: No buyers remorse here, by now I absolutely love the phone.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
What's the best budget wireless charging solution for the pixel 6? I'm writing this message using the Google assistant and it's doing a wonderful job.

Animus Vox

Oct 30, 2017
NYC
Man the camera is so amazing. I'm constantly impressed.
Is it weird that I haven't taken a single photo with the Pro since receiving it a week ago? Although I have played with the magic eraser some. Feels kind of gimmicky but it does the job well.

I've been having a blast with the phone the OS in general. It feels so good to be back to that vanilla Android experience coming from a Galaxy. I kind of miss the edge container from the One UI so I'm compensating by just having icons line up the side of the main screen. Being able to access that from anywhere though was nice.

I've been using dictation and Google assistant so much more than before. The typing is in real time. I can yell at my phone to start a cooking timer for me. I told it to enable wifi hotspot for me.

I want to use dictation all the time but get super conscious about thinking as I'm speaking/typing, as if it were like having a fragmented conversation with someone.

Google lens is super convenient as a quick OCR tool. You could point the camera at a router sticker for example and immediately copy the wifi password. I used it to quickly pull a tracking number off a USPS receipt which linked it directly to the tracking page.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Is it weird that I haven't taken a single photo with the Pro since receiving it a week ago? Although I have played with the magic eraser some. Feels kind of gimmicky but it does the job well.

I've been having a blast with the phone the OS in general. It feels so good to be back to that vanilla Android experience coming from a Galaxy. I kind of miss the edge container from the One UI so I'm compensating by just having icons line up the side of the main screen. Being able to access that from anywhere though was nice.

I've been using dictation and Google assistant so much more than before. The typing is in real time. I can yell at my phone to start a cooking timer for me. I told it to enable wifi hotspot for me.

I want to use dictation all the time but get super conscious about thinking as I'm speaking/typing, as if it were like having a fragmented conversation with someone.

Google lens is super convenient as a quick OCR tool. You could point the camera at a router sticker for example and immediately copy the wifi password. I used it to quickly pull a tracking number off a USPS receipt which linked it directly to the tracking page.
Dictation is absolutely incredible on this device, but I do have minor gripe. It often finishes my sentence before I intend to. It's too flipping quick.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
I love my new 6, but man do I miss having face unlock from my 3 year old One Plus. I just assumed this phone would have it, tbh.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
kind of a big issue with my pro, but my usb cable already doesn't fit properly in the port

I ran into this with my older pixels but this is far too sudden

Rewrite

Oct 26, 2017
Fontana, California
Does anyone use Samsung Internet Browser? That's my primary browser and it works very well.

However, there are certain pages like a Google search result or the default homepage where it doesn't display the page using the entire screen. There's a black bezel above the hole punch. Anyone else experience this?