• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I forgot that Stadia exists, and I signed up for the pro trial back in May.

The imminent next-gen console launches are taking up all my gaming headspace.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Not even remotely comparable situations, MS was already in gaming, just not on consoles and they had a hit dayone in halo, it still took them a while though, for google it would take even longer at this point, all things considered.

OnLive existed back in 2008, was ahead of its time, but the infrastructure was not there to make it sustainable. Yet it was and still is first and foremost an infrastructure issue, not a content issue.

If the infrastructure is intended to be gaming-specific, then you have to sustain the development of said infrastructure ideally through gaming-related revenue. That's a big problem as it relies on content offer on their platform to sustain it and they have significant competition on that front, for now.

If on the other hand the infrastructure is not intended to be gaming-specific, then the current lackluster offers on Stadia are not very relevant in preventing Google from eventually being in a position where they have an infrastructure that is advantaged to the point that it can impose itself to become the go-to platform for cloud-based gaming.

So which company will eventually dominate the space is all about which company has the means and incentive to sustainably develop the required infrastructure. Since I don't think that said infrastructure is very gaming-specific (or at least, won't be for very long), then I think that gives a good idea as to which companies will be in a position to dominate cloud-based gaming in the future.

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
Otherwise, well, I'm looking forward to their first-party whenever they're ready to show! I know some folks locally who are working on some cool stuff in their Montreal teams
Oh?
Don't suppose there is much else you know about this, is there?
Probably more than someone's jobs-worth to go spilling major beans though, so I'm guessing probably not.
Would be nice to find out what they are working on at some point. They keep talking about using their massive conversaional-AI systems in a game, to produce natural dialogue you can interact with. I'm intrigued what eventual shape that will take on.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Looking forward to a bunch of nothing, or, alternately, them moneyhatting one big game that I was looking forward to, so that I need to wait a couple extra months to play it somewhere I actually want to play it.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Who gives a shit whether you like or remember Stadia or not when it is not the actual topic of the thread?

Can someone point out the rules for what gaming news is allowed so the OP doesn't make the same tragic mistake?

On topic, also don't expect anything to groundbreaking or it would have likely leaked by now

Jamie

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I still believe! Mass Effect timed exclusive incoming.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Oh?
Don't suppose there is much else you know about this, is there?
Probably more than someone's jobs-worth to go spilling major beans though, so I'm guessing probably not.
Would be nice to find out what they are working on at some point. They keep talking about using their massive conversaional-AI systems in a game, to produce natural dialogue you can interact with. I'm intrigued what eventual shape that will take on.
I know a bit, but nothing I can share, naturally! Very strong teams imo.

Weeaboom

Banned
Jan 25, 2018
Already have a PS5 and Series X on the way, not to mention a big steam library... I'm interested to see what Stadia can offer.

mangrilla

Aug 28, 2020
Washington, DC
Surprised I haven't seen the word "Amazon," in any of these comments.

I'd imagine that they are going to be announcing more games for Stadia Pro because that list of games looks pretty lackluster and they likely want to draw people in before the Amazon service launches. Has it launched? Honestly, I didn't even realize that Google had a Pro tier on their service until I searched to double check. A pox on these streaming services' houses.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
I have the lowest possible expectations for this and I bet I'll still be disappointed by whatever nothingburger they serve up.

Freddie13

Nov 2, 2017
Google announce they have bought Sony. PS5 is cancelled and every game will be launched on Stadia instead......LOL

sumo

Oct 30, 2017
Weird timing, 3 weeks before both the new gen consoles are released. They can't be trying to outright compete so must be trying to ride the hype wave or catch people that didn't get a pre order for a console.

Sia

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 9, 2020
Canada
oh god, hopefully they don't have any good exclusives.

Uhyve

Oct 25, 2017
I would put money down on the big announcement being something tone deaf, like Marvel's Avengers being the next Stadia Pro game. No crossplay of course.

HorseFD

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne
Stadia doesn't even exist in my country (Australia) with absolutely no indication from Google that it ever will, so it's quite hard to be excited about any announcement they might make.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Weird timing, 3 weeks before both the new gen consoles are released. They can't be trying to outright compete so must be trying to ride the hype wave or catch people that didn't get a pre order for a console.
And there are a lot of us. :( That being said, I'm still hoping to find a PS5 or XSX around launch or before the end of the year.

arrado

Jan 1, 2020
They need to announce that they are upgrading their servers. One of their selling points a year ago was 'power', while in reality it often struggles to match current gen consoles.
The new consoles will blow Stadia out of the water.

Oct 26, 2017
But why if you have good access to their ecosystem? If they have a game that interests you there's really no reason not to play it.

My favourite types of games are fighting games, music games and VR. None of those are feasible on a streaming format.

Now if they release this amazing, standalone game that is exclusive, I would play it. But I don't see how Stadia could in any way make the game better than, say, on PS5.

Creepy Woody

Nov 11, 2017
Australia
580579.jpg

Salamiaddict

May 15, 2018
Northern Germany
I wonder if they start the show again by saying "You know, we don't really like to play games..." ... yeah, remember when the Google CEO said something like this, when they unveiled the service?

boi

Nov 1, 2017
I have a sense that Stadia needs a serious injection of money to become relevant.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
My favourite types of games are fighting games, music games and VR. None of those are feasible on a streaming format.

Now if they release this amazing, standalone game that is exclusive, I would play it. But I don't see how Stadia could in any way make the game better than, say, on PS5.
I mean they don't need to release something better than TLOU2. My point was with their format if they release something good, you can pay for it and play it. No barrier to entry and no reason to deprive yourself of it.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I wonder if Stadia has generated any profit for Google. I wish they would reveal some indication of which direction the numbers are trending.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
User Warned: drive-by trolling
Wait, Stadia still exists?

Why?

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017

News:

Jedi: Fallen Order, November 24th, 2020
Hello Engineer (Hello Neighbor spin-off), 2021, "first on Stadia"