wenis

Oct 25, 2017
The Daily Beast

3ca82d13-0159-45e3-ax4ukw.jpeg

Police in California say they believe they have found the notorious Golden State Killer—the man investigators say is responsible for 12 homicides, 45 rapes, and 120 home burglaries.

Joseph James DeAngelo, 72, was arrested overnight on two murder charges and is thought to be linked to the case, said Billy Jensen, one of the writers responsible for researching and publishing I'll Be Gone in the Dark. The case received renewed media attention this year after the book, written by late Michelle McNamara, was finally published after years of McNamara's obsessive research on the killer, thanks to her husband Patton Oswalt, Jensen, and researcher Paul Haynes.

Jail records show that DeAngelo, who was arrested by the Sacramento County Sheriff's Department, is ineligible for bail. The warrant was issued by Ventura County.

Jensen told The Daily Beast that DeAngelo is not the "confirmed" man responsible, but that "it looks good." Police will hold a press conference at noon Wednesday in Sacramento to announce the breakthrough in the case.

Amazing. She did it. She got the bastard.

Oct 26, 2017
Is this thee Patton Oswalt and his recently deceased wife?

Yep. That is insane. Pretty amazing work for her to leave behind.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is incredibly inspiring, especially given the fact that MacNamura passed away in 2016 before this case began to regain steam.

Just amazing. Hopefully this leads to a conclusive perp.

Oct 26, 2017
Reading up on him and this guy was thorough. And a fucking nut.

On a few occasions, it is believed he entered the homes of future victims (prior to attacking them several nights later) to conduct reconnaissance, unlock windows, unload guns, and to plant binding ligatures for future use. He would also frequently call future victims leading up to the attack, sometimes for months in advance, to better understand their daily schedules and routines. On those calls he would sometimes hang up, sometimes pretend to have the wrong number, and sometimes (in calls placed after the attack) threaten to harm the victims again.[4][15] In one of these calls, which was recorded by the victim in January 1978, the stalker repeats: "Gonna kill you."

PuppetMinion

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Wow 40 years.

Embarrassingly, my first thought for a second was, wow he is an giant, with that picture.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Amazing. Talk about leaving behind a legacy. I really need to pick up Michelle's book. I really hope they can prove it for everyone's sake. So many victims over so many decades, it's insane, so hopefully some closure will come to some victims from this.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Crazy. People in the true crime community have had this guy as their white whale for decades now - I always assumed it would be unsolved forever. And yet, here we are.

Kyonashi

Oct 24, 2017
UK
Film deal imminent, I think it's safe to assume. The book got a fair amount of press and with these events would certainly make a suitably creepy/fascinating doc.

Aurongel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
WAIT! Holy shit, this guy is also known as the East Area Rapist and Original Night Stalker?

Wow. If you guys want to never sleep again, go look up the answering machine tape from him calling one of his victims. It's among the most unnerving things I've ever heard in my life.

taro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm about to head into work and this will be the subject of the day. This is astonishing that he may have been caught as I just assumed he died by now. Gonna do some more research before work.

Edit: Yes, this is the same as the East Area Rapist and OG Nightstalker. And no, this is not Richard Ramirez.

numble

Oct 25, 2017
It seems they had a lot of DNA evidence even though the cases were decades ago. I guess that could conclusively link him to the murders/rapes.

Fourth Storm

Oct 25, 2017
Can't believe this. What an amazing ending after so long! The resemblance to some of the composite sketches is spine chilling.

Marshall

Oct 27, 2017
If that really is him, Imagine the utter shock and disbelief that washed over him when they slapped on the cuffs. He thought he had gotten away with it.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Very cool. I watched a doc on this guy last year, and lamented the fact that he was never caught.

Good to know that he's talking, too. I'm really curious about the life he's lived after the murders ended, as well as his motivations.

Gibson

Oct 29, 2017
It's so strange, just this week I relistened to the casefile podcast about the EARONS and was checking the reddit to see if there was any updates, and suddenly this happens. I got chills.

OP
OP
wenis

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
There was an earlier thread on this, but since this one has more replies now I'll post again that there is a lot more info over on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Unresolved...area_rapistoriginal_night_stalker_officially/

Press conference later this afternoon

I thought he was going to turn out to be young at the time, dead now, and not the Vasalia ransacker. Wrong on all counts. Will be interesting to find out why he stopped
Whoa he was a police officer until being fired for shop lifting. That's crazy.

Zatoichi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
People have been working on this case for decades, Michelle's book helped with some new awareness but I feel its a disservice to simply state that "Michelle got him" as the relatives and friends of the victims have kept this case alive.

Anyway, fantastic news if he has been caught, a vile creature.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy fucking shit.

This could very well be the original night stalker? I mean we're talking Zodiac killer levels of notoriety.

Oh god he was a police officer, that makes so much sense.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
There was an earlier thread on this, but since this one has more replies now I'll post again that there is a lot more info over on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Unresolved...area_rapistoriginal_night_stalker_officially/

Press conference later this afternoon

I thought he was going to turn out to be young at the time, dead now, and not the Vasalia ransacker. Wrong on all counts. Will be interesting to find out why he stopped

I heard some talk that he may have also been "Mr. Cruel" from Australia, so it's possible he left the country for a while and was operating elsewhere.

OP
OP
wenis

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
I heard some talk that he may have also been "Mr. Cruel" from Australia, so it's possible he left the country for a while and was operating elsewhere.
Supposedly he was in the navy according to the reddit link. Until that's confirmed tho, it's just speculation. But that does raise a lot of questions.