Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
The Morning Show getting nominations, but not Watchmen is a fucking joke, nothing against that show but it's not as good as it think it is.

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing year for movies, surprised by Two Popes overperforming and Ford V Ferrari completely flopping, but even with obvious omissions like The Lighthouse it's an amazing set of nominees.

Emobacca

Nov 2, 2017
For anyone who is letting these nominations ruin their morning, a gentle reminder that the Hollywood Foreign Press voting body is only like 70 people. There is a reason that "buying" a Golden Globe has been a meme in Hollywood for decades. Buddy up with a handful of those boomer voters and you can influence a good chunk of the vote.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
if anyone here has been watching season 4 of Mr. Robot. y'all know Rami has to win it.

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
Surprisingly solid list of nominees for Golden Globes.

Willem Dafoe missing out a nomination is a shame but not that surprising considering Actor in a Supporting Role is probably the most competitive acting category of this Oscar season. The lack of nominations for Uncut Gems and Little Women is also quite surprising. The foreign language category is really great but The Farewell being a nominee seems a bit unfair to the other nominees.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
JOKER DOMINATION

giphy.gif

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture – Drama
Joaquin Phoenix

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in any Motion Picture
Joe Pesci

These two should be slam dunks.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Watchmen being snubbed is a shame
Morning Show as a nominee for best TV show is laughable

Even though I hated The Lighthouse I'd agree Dafoe should have been nominated

otherwise seems ok, but 2019 was kind of a really meh year for movies it feels like. Some decent ones I enjoyed watching once but nothing really I'd revisit in a decade or put on a best of decade list. TV though definitely a lot of good contenders.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like all those nominations for Parasite (especially Screenplay and Director) bodes well for a Best Picture nom at the Oscars.

vatstep

Oct 25, 2017
Kit Harrington being nominated over Jeremy Strong is laughable. I guess they had to give GoT one thing though.

(unless the GGs don't do multiple nominations for one show/movie in the same category – I can't remember)

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
Rooting for Hildur Guðnadóttir for best score. She absolutely killed it for Joker.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
The competition between Joaquin Phoenix and Adam Driver is quite epic. Both had amazing performances in their movies.Both deserve it. I think Scarlett Johansson played also so much better in Marriage Story than in any before this.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series – Drama
Kit Harington, "Game of Thrones" (HBO)

hahahahahahahahaha

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Netflix having 3 movies out of 5 nominated for the best drama is a nice present for Spielberg.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
Fuck me!

They do it everytime. They get me riled up with their stupid award.

The despicable Hollywood Foreign Press Association present the worst list of nominees, year in and out, and despite being a small exclusive club of people who don't know jack, they get the glamour and attention rivaling Oscars.

Don't get me wrong, the film Academy get things way wrong every year, but they're no comparison to the Golden Globes.

The Golden Globes somehow manage to not nominate female directors (or their movies) even in a landmark year where several of those films have been talked about for awards season all year.

It's a true shitshow!

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't see Joker or the Irishman, but the petty side of me wants to see Joker win Best Picture over Scorsese.
The petty side of you want to see a movie that rips off multiple Scorsese movies win over Scorsese? Might as well root for Marriage Story or something instead.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Lighthouse getting snubbed for Jokermania.

Oscar Noms are gonna be a shitshow.

Also, no PoC or Women Directors again. Yeesh.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
I've only seen 3/10 of the best picture nominations. Albeit one of them isn't out yet (though I do intend to see it). Guess that's what happens when so many are on Netflix and I have a habit of ignoring Netflix movies since I prefer watching movies at the theater.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why people pay attention to the globes. The HFPA only cares about getting all the big names and stars in the hall so that they can be associated with them. It's no reward of actual merit.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I still have to watch Marriage Story, so I can't comment on what I think of Driver (though, I expect a remarkable performance from him all of the time), but it's hard for me to pick anyone but Phoenix for his insane and remarkable transformation into Arthur/Joker.

I thought the same thing until I watched Marriage Story on Saturday. It's Adam's award at this point, dude put in a hell of a performance.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know why people pay attention to the globes. The HFPA only cares about getting all the big names and stars in the hall so that they can be associated with them. It's no reward of actual merit.
tenor.gif

Issue is it helps gives shows a higher tier once the Emmys come. The Emmys are their Oscars and this is like getting a Game Award.

JJAwiiu

Oct 27, 2017
I don't watch many modern movies but I'm glad to see Dolemite and Eddie Murphy get nominations.

CassCade

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The film side is pretty good even though the Lighthouse was snubbed and Netflix's Klaus is better than all the noms for animated. Am ambivalent towards the TV side on every category.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
I know the divisions are always dubious, but did they really submit Awkwafina in The Farewell as a comedy?

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Best Motion Picture – Animated
Frozen 2
How to Train Your Dragon – The Hidden World
The Lion King
Missing Link
Toy Story 4

4 of my predicted listings. And then Lion King.

Well on a technical level it's great. I'd nominate it for Visual Effects.

But as a film? It's basically a soulless, inferior version of the original.

No room for Klaus there at all?

It's probably going to Frozen 2 or Toy Story 4, safe bet on Toy Story 4 here. Even if Dragons is my personal favourite from this batch of options.

Glad to see they remembered Missing Link happened, although I do feel it's one of Laika's weaker films. If it was up for nomination, I would have given the stop-motion slot to be Shaun the Sheep Farmageddon to be perfectly honest.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Joker will be nominated for Oscars too. This irrational hate for it is really funny to watch.