• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 37151

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jan 1, 2018
I thought this was surprisingly competent. It's so easy to get this kind of movie wrong.

I know people are down on the human cast but I found all that stuff fine. The lines landed and the fights were cool. I don't really have any complaints.

Wallers

May 9, 2020
These films would fall apart without the human cast.

Totally, I did a rental and managed 3 watches in 48 hours. First time through the humans dragged a bit, second time through and it was fine. I really enjoyed it, great fights especially at the end with mechagodzilla.

I assume that the satellite was the connection between the Ghidorah skull in the factory that the guy sat in and the one in Mechagodzilla's head? It's the gist of what I got.

ATOMICJORGE

Oct 25, 2017
If people insist so much on the human cast, watch Shin Godzilla, best human part of a Godzilla movie ever

It's like a simulation of how the government would react (or lack of) to a real Godzilla threat

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
I assume that the satellite was the connection between the Ghidorah skull in the factory that the guy sat in and the one in Mechagodzilla's head? It's the gist of what I got

Yes. It actually makes sense. Why put the pilot at risk or have them deal with all the motion inside a mecha?

chromefrog

Nov 26, 2017
i like how when an inherently stupid movie does something stupid people are like "ugh i hate this shit". the plot is dumb as fuck at it's core, i'm happy they went all the way with the nonsensical elements. yeah the script was dogshit and the human elements were poor yet again, but how can you criticize the monster parts? felt appropriately ridiculous to me.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Between this Mechagodzilla and Ready Player One's Mechagodzilla which do y'all prefer if given a choice between only these two?

latest
Mechagodzilla-4.jpg

deanna_beanna

Prophet of Truth
May 19, 2019
Think the movie could've benefitted from a scene of Charles Dance selling the skull to Apex, then killed off probably

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
I love Wingard's direction and eye for action. I fucking love that he's doing Thundercats.

I didn't even know this was a thing, til I did my googles after reading this. I must have missed this announcement entirely...

Admittedly, I'm still a bit gunshy after two ill-fated cartoon reboots and a comic run that left me lacking. But at least I'm hoping this guy who I thought did Goji and Kong so well is up to the task.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
It's so weird that this movie is a direct sequel to all the ones before but at the same time almost completely ignores everything that happened before. None of the characters from Kong: Skull Island are even mentioned, the entire tribe of that movie get's killed in a single sentence and every single cliffhanger left in King of the Monsters wasn't resolved but just...ignored. The explicit setup after KotM was that Godzilla is now, well, King of the Monsters and they are all going to Skull Island to do...something with Kong. Then, Godzilla VS Kong arrives and not only is that never mentioned again, EVERY Monster other than Godzilla and Kong is just...gone.

Why do you bother creating a "cinematic universe" and connecting these movies with each other when you are actively contradicting or ignoring everything that came before? I mean, Kong vs Godzilla was supposed to release, like, a year after KotM, wasn't it? How does this even happen?

So, yeah, pretty disappointed by this. Godzilla is such a tiny part of the movie, the entire "Uuh, is Godzilla evil now???" plotline is incredibly frustrating in how transparent it is and only works if you, again, completely ignore that Godzilla has been humanities savior...twice now. And, of course, for a movie called "Godzilla VS Kong" it's incredibly disappointing how little the movie is actually about pitting Godzilla against Kong. Their battles only happens because "Well, I guess they just really want to fight?" completely independent of the story being told. And the story being told is beyond boring - the best I can say about it is that It's not as asinine as the dialogue and characters in KotM. But the fact that basically the entire plot revolves around Mecha-Godzilla when Mecha-Godzilla is nothing but a 5 minute detour at the end is just baffling.

Why would you write a movie about Godzilla fighting Kong, call it Godzilla VS Kong and then make the story NOT about Godzilla fighting Kong but Evil Corporation #2395 building a Mech? At no point do Godzilla's or Kong's motivation in regards to the main plot actually intersect.

It's way better than KotM because the action is really well shot and i didn't actively hate watching it, but it's leagues behind Godzilla & Kong: Skull Island.

Last edited:

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
Thinking on the cast again, if they *really* wanted to continue Millie Bobby Brown's story they... still could have moved her over to the Kong Team and have her be the one Godzilla stan in the group

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Movie was pretty entertaining, but I really feel like MBB's character has overstayed their welcome at this point. The only character of real importance in that group is the conspiracy theorist that is introduced in the movie proper. He's the one who is actively on Apex's trail, and the kids are just along for the ride. Kong humans' plot is much better in comparison.

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't even know this was a thing, til I did my googles after reading this. I must have missed this announcement entirely...

Admittedly, I'm still a bit gunshy after two ill-fated cartoon reboots and a comic run that left me lacking. But at least I'm hoping this guy who I thought did Goji and Kong so well is up to the task.
What's crazy is, he had to refresh his memory of Godzilla-dom because he hadn't seen many since he was a kid. If this is the result of a refresher, Would love to see what he'd do with TC as it's a passion project for him.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Apparently he insists the Thundercats film isn't live-action so that's a good sign that he realizes how bad it could look

Window

Oct 27, 2017
One of the most aggressively dumb films I've seen. Why bother at all with writing human characters if that's the shit they come up with. The fight scenes are satisfying on a primal level like WWE is though. Still that's not enough to sustain interest through out. The fight scenes can become numbing at times.

Last edited:

JetEagle

Dec 21, 2020
Australia
It's so weird that this movie is a direct sequel to all the ones before but at the same time almost completely ignores everything that happened before. None of the characters from Kong: Skull Island are even mentioned, the entire tribe of that movie get's killed in a single sentence and every single cliffhanger left in King of the Monsters wasn't resolved but just...ignored. The explicit setup after KotM was that Godzilla is now, well, King of the Monsters and they are all going to Skull Island to do...something with Kong. Then, Godzilla VS Kong arrives and not only is that never mentioned again, EVERY Monster other than Godzilla and Kong is just...gone.

Why do you bother creating a "cinematic universe" and connecting these movies with each other when you are actively contradicting or ignoring everything that came before? I mean, Kong vs Godzilla was supposed to release, like, a year after KotM, wasn't it? How does this even happen?

So, yeah, pretty disappointed by this. Godzilla is such a tiny part of the movie, the entire "Uuh, is Godzilla evil now???" plotline is incredibly frustrating in how transparent it is and only works if you, again, completely ignore that Godzilla has been humanities savior...twice now. And, of course, for a movie called "Godzilla VS Kong" it's incredibly disappointing how little the movie is actually about pitting Godzilla against Kong. Their battles only happens because "Well, I guess they just really want to fight?" completely independent of the story being told. And the story being told is beyond boring - the best I can say about it is that It's not as asinine as the dialogue and characters in KotM. But the fact that basically the entire plot revolves around Mecha-Godzilla when Mecha-Godzilla is nothing but a 5 minute detour at the end is just baffling.

Why would you write a movie about Godzilla fighting Kong, call it Godzilla VS Kong and then make the story NOT about Godzilla fighting Kong but Evil Corporation #2395 building a Mech? At no point do Godzilla's or Kong's motivation in regards to the main plot actually intersect.

It's way better than KotM because the action is really well shot and i didn't actively hate watching it, but it's leagues behind Godzilla & Kong: Skull Island.
Agreed with pretty much everything you said. And continuing the lack of connection between movies is how much of the cast, especially all the secondary and supporting cast simply disappear.
And King of the Monsters made a huge deal about the staggering levels of global destruction followed by regrow the in the end credits. GvK dos the even bother to mention any of it.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
am i the only one to see obvious evangelion references ? Get in the fucking chair, the locked triumvirate panels exactly looking like MAGI cores, etc

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
What's crazy is, he had to refresh his memory of Godzilla-dom because he hadn't seen many since he was a kid. If this is the result of a refresher, Would love to see what he'd do with TC as it's a passion project for him.
Apparently he insists the Thundercats film isn't live-action so that's a good sign that he realizes how bad it could look

Here's hoping, indeed!

Some articles make it sound like while the main characters themselves will be CG+animation, it doesn't necessarily preclude the idea of including live action/human element at all. Which at least would be somewhat fitting, if characters like Hachiman and/or Willa and her Amazons show up.

But I'm encouraged that the director made the same immediate connection I did, earlier, with how all the Hollow Earth stuff was EXACTLY in line with how a Thundercats movie should be. That still was my favorite section in GvK, and it's only a pity that their fight (or their fight with Mecha) didn't eventually go back down there.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017

This is all spot on. I still end up enjoying this far more than KOTM but I think my lowered expectations helped with that. I know everyone keeps saying that the only thing that matters is the fights but surely everything else doesn't have to be this dumb and utterly dull.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Watched it. Thought it was fun.

Slightly disappointed that there wasn't some fake-out of the Godzilla causing carnage actually being Mecha disguised as Godzilla, and then the real Godzilla shows up later to double-team him with Kong.

Seemed a little less interesting just to have actual Godzilla fucking places up.

Still, was probably the most fun of the four for me.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It felt very much like they skipped a movie
Thinking on the cast again, if they *really* wanted to continue Millie Bobby Brown's story they... still could have moved her over to the Kong Team and have her be the one Godzilla stan in the group
Those two stories being completely divorced from each other was a problem. I thought the two girls would have a moment but they never do

Oct 27, 2017
I kinda want to discuss the "first civ", hollow earth stuff.

Like what the point of the axe charging mural was and why it seems to depict Godzilla. Did Kongs worship Godzillas and their powers? Did Kongs start exploiting that power from the core which triggered Godzillas to fight back and they mostly wiped each other out? Did Ghidorah's arrival interrupt the war and ended up mostly wiping out both?

I feel like THAT would be a kickass movie or series.

Mar Tuuk

Oct 31, 2017
I kinda want to discuss the "first civ", hollow earth stuff.

Like what the point of the axe charging mural was and why it seems to depict Godzilla. Did Kongs worship Godzillas and their powers? Did Kongs start exploiting that power from the core which triggered Godzillas to fight back and they mostly wiped each other out? Did Ghidorah's arrival interrupt the war and ended up mostly wiping out both?

I feel like THAT would be a kickass movie or series.
They hunted Godzillas/ were competing with them. Would be cool to see Godzilla in Hollow Earth. Does Hollow Earth have Oceans? Also didn't Atlantis (where Godzilla lived) get destroyed?

Think the movie could've benefitted from a scene of Charles Dance selling the skull to Apex, then killed off probably
Agreed. Would've been good continuity

Oct 27, 2017
They hunted Godzillas/ were competing with them. Would be cool to see Godzilla in Hollow Earth. Does Hollow Earth have Oceans? Also didn't Atlantis (where Godzilla lived) get destroyed?

Agreed. Would've been good continuity
That's another thing I think an anime series would be great for: giving us the perspective of each tribe that worshipped each god, what life was like, their relationships with their gods etc. Like Avatar but with Kaiju summoning instead of elemental powers lol.

I still like the idea of Kongs exploiting powers from the core ticking off Godzillas.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
If they make another I hope it takes place solely in hollow earth, and have it just be a big stupid monster fest.

Guddha

Sep 5, 2019
I stole this summary of additional details and characterization in the novel. While all of it probably wouldn't fit into a reasonable length film, some key additions could have made Godzilla vs Kong more interesting than dino attack monke.
So I read the Godzilla vs Kong Novelization to see how it compared to the movie and if anything left vague in the film was explained in the book. It takes 32 pages before the novelization gets to the events of the movie itself, characters who didn't receive much backstory in the movie get it here in spades, and some of the plot elements poorly explained in the film are more explicitly spelled out here.

I'm not going to go over absolutely everything, but here are the aspects of the novelization I found most interesting:

Alan Jonah
Apex CEO Walter Simmons is approached by a "dangerous man" (who is unnamed, but almost definitely Alan Jonah from KotM). The man says he has two Ghidorah heads for Simmons (curious where he got the second one), and that he's selling them to fund some mysterious endeavor.

Lind's Backstory
Dr. Nathan Lind and his brother Dave prepare for Dave's departure in an experimental aircraft to the Hollow Earth. Nathan thinks the storm around Skull Island has made the flight path to the Hollow Earth Vortex too dangerous and that he'd rather they postpone and use the Hollow Earth Vortex in Antarctica instead, but the press has already been invited to cover the launch of the expedition and Dave is afraid that Monarch is looking for an excuse to pull funding. The launch goes through and Dave successfully makes it to the Vortex, but nearly immediately after making it through Dave's ship is destroyed.

From what I understand, this was originally intended to be the opening scene of the movie.

Jia's Backstory
On Skull Island, Jia becomes the last of the native islanders after the others are killed by flooding and ravenous monsters caused by the encroaching storm (the storm is later said to be the creation of a Titan called Camazotz, and that Monarch's activities in trying to open a gateway to Hollow Earth caused it to awaken and draw the storm inland; I believe this is in reference to the upcoming prequel graphic novel Kingdom Kong). Kong is implied to sense a prayer to him made by Jia, causing the wandering Titan to find and save her.

Apex and Monarch
The biggest difference from the movie, surprisingly, is Bernie. Whereas in the movie all we know about the guy is that he's a conspiracy theorist with a podcast who is undercover at Apex and has a late wife named Sara, the one section of the novelization told from his point of view reveals a massive amount of surprising backstory, including the revelation that Monarch commissioned Apex to create the Oxygen Destroyer used in KotM.

First off, Sara worked for Apex even before the events of Godzilla 2014. After Godzilla and the MUTOs became common knowledge she started to talk about them a lot, which Bernie thought was just some new hobby. Eventually, though, Sara quit her job at Apex and died in a car accident less than a week later. Weeks after her death, Bernie started going through her things and found a note reading:

"Godzilla>Apex>Monarch Contract>shipping manifest>component for bomb."

Bernie applied for a job at Apex the next day and started the Titan Truth Podcast. Following the events of Godzilla: King of the Monsters, a number of Monarch operatives contacted him and revealed that the "bomb" Sara had mentioned in her note was the Oxygen Destroyer, which Monarch had contracted Apex to help create before attempting to bury the connection between Apex and Monarch (later in the book a Monarch engineer mentions to Dr. Lind that when the Titans began to break free during the events of King of the Monsters "termination protocols" were put into effect, but that they failed due to the Titans' resilience being underestimated). It's also noted that all Apex facilities have a Monarch facility nearby.

In the scene in the movie where Bernie, Madison, and Josh talk, Bernie originally had this line: "Lost her in a car accident. Happened a week after she left her job…at Apex Industries." There's also a scene that takes place midway through the maglev train's passage from Pensacola to Hong Kong where Madison says she wants to record what Apex is doing to send to Monarch only for Bernie to get into a brief argument with her, claiming that Monarch has Apex do its dirty work and that the people in charge of Monarch likely know everything Apex is up to.

The point at which Bernie is introduced is the only time things are narrated from his perspective, but I can't help but wonder now how many of his weirder claims are things he actually believes and how much are just attempts to get people to underestimate him. After all, one of the first times he starts ranting about conspiracy-related nonsense is to drive a fellow Apex employee away so that he can steal information from a computer. Even his approaching Madison's father at the end of the movie for his podcast could hypothetically be an attempt to infiltrate Monarch, too, seeing as he believes Apex answers to Monarch.

There's also other evidence of Apex and Monarch working together. It's stated that the Apex facility in Pensacola was tipped-off that Godzilla might arrive by allies within Monarch, Monarch Director Guillerman (Lance Reddick's character who was largely cut from the movie because all his scenes are talking to Kyle Chandler's Mark Russell) okays the joint Apex/Monarch mission to Hollow Earth and shares with Mark that the purpose is to obtain an energy source for Apex to use in a weapon against Gozilla. Mark is immediately suspicious and asks Guillerman what kind of weapon Apex is making, but Guillerman claims not to know. When Mechagodzilla is finally revealed, Guillerman also seems more curious than anything about Mechagodzilla, eager to see what Simmons' creation can do.

Ren
Like in the movie, Ren Serizawa barely gets any dialog. However, we're given a view into his inner thoughts. He hates his father for abandoning his family and ultimately sacrificing his life for Godzilla, a giant monster that has killed thousands. Dr. Serizawa's "let them fight" quote was apparently reported by the media, which Ren interpreted as the words of a man who didn't care how many human lives were lost in battles between Titans. Ren also has a negative opinion of Walter Simmons, thinking the Apex CEO is a short-sighted egomaniac that will one day die and be long forgotten. Ren wants to subjugate or destroy the Titans for the sake of humanity, even if no one knows he was responsible, believing such an action will change human history for the better.

When Mechagodzilla goes rogue, it's stated that the consciousness created "did not know who it was, or what it was". It invades and destroys Ren's consciousness, and when Madison initially has the idea of going to the room where she had seen the pilot earlier discovers that it was destroyed when Mechagodzilla escaped the facility, no trace of the Ghidorah skull or the pilot anywhere.

Godzilla and the Mysterious Energy
Whereas how Jia knows about Godzilla is never explained in the movie, one scene in the novelization features Jia recognizing images of Godzilla as a "Zo-zla-halawa", a species worshipped by enemies of her ancestors and the Kongs. The Zo-zla-halawa were said to have "eaten stars" and gained their power from them.

Godzilla is specifically stated to generate and emit in the form of his ray the mysterious "quantum" energy of Hollow Earth. Though he can absorb and transform "conventionally understood" radiation into this energy, it is emphasized (in italics, even) that the energy used in his breath weapon doesn't resemble the particles and waves discharged by fission or fusion reaction.

So, yeah, MonsterVerse Godzilla apparently has a "quantum ray" instead of an atomic one.

Finally, the novelization clarifies that when the data is transferred by Maia Simmons to Apex Headquarters that the data sent is not just the energy signature, but Godzilla DNA. What is being pumped into Mechagodzilla to power it are synthesized cells responsible for generating this unknown energy, with the cells being described as resembling "carbon snowflakes".

Ghidorah
The entryway to Hollow Earth in Antarctica is very close, only a few miles away, to where Ghidorah was frozen in ice. Dr. Lind explains to Maia Simmons that, at his former level of clearance in Monarch, he only knew about the Hollow Earth entrance, but not Ghidorah. He also claims that no one knows why Ghidorah was near the entrance, if it had been attempting to enter the Hollow Earth or if it had emerged. Further, the ice around Ghidorah showed evidence of having been both quickly melted and refrozen.

This could be nothing, but it is mentioned that Mark Russell is skeptical that King Ghidorah was actually an alien, seeing as next-to-nothing is known about the evolution of any of the Titans.

The Other Titans
Godzilla ordered them all to find places to rest. A few resisted, with Godzilla fighting Scylla in Savannah, Georgia, as the latter creature had been attracted by the atomic weapon buried in the mud off the coast. He also helped Behemoth defeat another Titan called Amhuluk in the Amazon. In both case the defeated Titans were not slain, but submitted and went to go into hibernation as Godzilla commanded. A terrorist group also attempted to capture Kraken using stolen Monarch equipment, but Godzilla freed the fellow Titan while Monarch sent air support to attack the terrorists' base.

Madison
Surprisingly, the fact that Madison is the daughter of the woman who unleashed King Ghidorah and the other Titans is common knowledge (I'd figure they'd try to cover that up, but oh well). She hates being around most other people her own age and often skips school. While her father Mark wants the rest of her youth to be normal and doesn't want anything happening to the last member of his family, Madison resents his overprotectiveness. At one point she even thinks to herself that if it wasn't for her stealing the ORCA the world might have been destroyed.

Madison primarily listens to the Titan Truth Podcast for information about Apex and the Titans, but doesn't believe about half of it. Before deciding to try and find Bernie she contacts various members of Monarch she knows, but no one is willing to help her defy her father. When she and her friend Josh do meet Bernie and he asks if she drinks tap water or not she replies she doesn't not because that's actually true, but because she thinks that's what Bernie wants to hear. She does have a negative opinion of the "Mothra Pregnant?" episode of Bernie's podcast (as someone who was present when Mothra was born) and lets him know about it during the trip from Pensacola to Hong Kong.

I had heard that Zhang Zhiyi's Dr. Chen character was supposed to appear in the movie and hoped she'd make an appearance, but no such luck other than maybe two or three references to her. I'd also heard that there were originally more scenes in
Hollow Earth depicting various ruins, but these don't make an appearance in the novelization, either.
Here are some more details on the history between Godzilla and Kong's people.
It does, though it is still kept vague in some ways. Now just so it's easier to tell who I'm talking about, I'll call the individuals King Kong and Godzilla, and the species kong(s) and gojira. It appears at some point while in the Hollow Earth, Godzilla bonded with the Hollow Earth's energy and drastically boosted his power (it could be the gojira species either didn't have the atomic breath or had a much weaker version). The Kongs and ancient iwi, whom aided them with infrastructure and living, tried to force Godzilla out of the Hollow Earth. A war followed with the kongs killing a few of the gojira species but they were themselves, ejected from the Hollow Earth when Godzilla chased them out. His reasoning could be that a whole civilization of potential alpha titans was putting the world out of balance and possibly engendering wars as the kongs had allied with the ancestors of the Iwi. This is also why Godzilla instantly knew when the throne room was reactivated.

Last edited:

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
King Kong had an ultra cool battle axe, how could you make him lose twice to Godzilla?! ;_;

They really put poor Kong through the ringer in this one, didn't they? Poor guy was getting his ass kicked five ways to sunday.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That was a truly awful movie. The action wasn't even exciting enough to make it worth it. I mean, at least the action was visible this time. But, it wasn't worth seeing any way.

Slackerchan

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I just got back from see it a second time, this showing in a theater my friends and I rented out. I still love this movie! I think I appreciate the soundtrack more this time around. I like what Bear McCreary did with KOTM reusing Akira Ifukube's original scores but the bombastic nature of JunkieXL's score for GvK really sold the "versus" nature of the movie. I hope that, if we get more Monsterverse films, that we see a hybrid of the two score styles.

Oct 25, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still pretty convinced that they originally planned to do the fake godzilla skin fake-out that happens in the original vs mechagodzilla movie.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
am i the only one to see obvious evangelion references ? Get in the fucking chair, the locked triumvirate panels exactly looking like MAGI cores, etc
My brother and I noticed tons haha
www.resetera.com

Godzilla vs Kong Spoiler Thread

Also what happened to the rest of those Titans at the end of KotM? They just chilled while this was all happening?

On the subject of another movie this is my favorite take on kotm's final fight lol

Last edited:

The Hobo

Oct 27, 2017
King Kong had an ultra cool battle axe, how could you make him lose twice to Godzilla?! ;_;

They really put poor Kong through the ringer in this one, didn't they? Poor guy was getting his ass kicked five ways to sunday.

The worst part is that Kong wanted none of it. He just wanted to chill on his island.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Really really dumb movie, I enjoyed it but I couldn't stop noticing all the dumb inconsistencies and plot contrivances. The fact there were 2 wildly different plots that both led all the characters to the exact same place but unconnected was dumb, the fact that Godzilla happened to be DIRECTLY above Kong's location in hollow earth just by chance was insane, and apparently Godzilla's breath attack can reach the core of the earth but just barely singes Kong? Lol
There was one point in a fight scene where Kong was on Godzilla's back hugging him closely and his spikes would have had to be actually through Kong for it to work.
The story with the kids and the annoying conspiracy theorist tried really hard to be funny and failed at every attempt and really had no point other than to show Mechagodzilla and the line "Its a robot godzilla!" "No, it's a MECHAgodzilla" said by the cringiest character in the film was just... eurgh.
Also was it ever explained where all the light was coming from in Hollow Earth? Every scene showed it to be super bright but there was no obvious source.

I enjoyed the fight scenes but damn what a stupid movie otherwise, even if it's meant to be a bit stupid it was still a bit too much

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
Very mediocre film overall. Obviously the final fight was quite entertaining at the very least.

Boy was Kong ever a jobber in this film lol. He gets saved by humans 3 times.

Overall my favourite film from this Legendary Monsterverse is still the 2014 Godzilla film by quite a margin.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
It's so weird that this movie is a direct sequel to all the ones before but at the same time almost completely ignores everything that happened before. None of the characters from Kong: Skull Island are even mentioned, the entire tribe of that movie get's killed in a single sentence and every single cliffhanger left in King of the Monsters wasn't resolved but just...ignored.

Yeah, I was thinking about this today and had a chuckle. Skull Island goes to all this length to show Brie Larson interacting with the natives. Wingard was pretty merciless.

"Hey Adam, we're writing the first draft. Just wondering what you want us to do with the Iwi natives that Mason Weaver lovingly made friends with in Skull Island?"

giphy.gif

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watched it. Thought it was fun.

Slightly disappointed that there wasn't some fake-out of the Godzilla causing carnage actually being Mecha disguised as Godzilla, and then the real Godzilla shows up later to double-team him with Kong.

Seemed a little less interesting just to have actual Godzilla fucking places up.

Still, was probably the most fun of the four for me.

How are you gonna make a robo version look realistic on that scale?

Also thats a pretty tired trope. The slow obvious build after the eye is the right way.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
and apparently Godzilla's breath attack can reach the core of the earth but just barely singes Kong? Lol
I haven't actually watched the movie, only some scenes that are on YT, but that seems like it could just be a matter of charge time for the beam. It seemed Goji started charging it even before he made landfall at Hong Kong.

He is still lit up all blue even after he finishes, so it clearly meant to be a different tier of beam than something he can just quickly fire off in battle.

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How would they make that "realistic" in a movie with giant monsters battering each other and where humans fly in Tron planes to the centre of the earth?

Yes. Just because there is all this weird shit happening doesn't mean you don't try to make it somewhat believable. Like Humans will know if the center of the earth is real of fake by looking at it. Just like they could tell if it was the real godzilla from the get go.

Do we really need another scooby do reveal?

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Yes. Just because there is all this weird shit happening doesn't mean you don't try to make it somewhat believable. Like Humans will know if the center of the earth is real of fake by looking at it. Just like they could tell if it was the real godzilla from the get go.

There's nothing believable about these films and that's part of why I enjoyed this one most of all, because it just embraced the ridiculousness even more than any other entry in the Monsterverse. At no point will I give this film points for being "somewhat believable".

Do we really need another scooby do reveal?

Evidently not, sheesh.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
I had fun watching it. Only thing I absolutely despised were any of the scenes with Millie Bobby Brown and the Scooby gang in them.