• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nkcell

Jun 24, 2020
I'm literally looking at the game being played right now.

It's not really janky, it's not really buggy, it's not extremely flawed in any way.

The combat is no DMC, but it's certainly not any worse than Genshin Impact.

"Not janky, not buggy, Not flawed" is damning with faint praise if I've ever heard any. The game is going to be mediocre, but that doesn't mean you can't like it. That was the perception of the majority of people viewing the previews and that's what the reviews say so far. People stamping their feet about their only being 6 reviews are going to find some other excuse when there are 20 that say the same. We've seen this pattern of behavior since SNES. Some people just hype themselves up to the point that they feel everyone else needs to feel the same.

It's fine. Enjoy the game. No one is stopping you. I'm glad you will get pleasure out of it!

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
I have no problem with a game focused on combat as long as it is good.

If the combat is deep, challenging and satisfying enough plus a huge enemy/boss variety is given, i can see Godfall be pretty entertaining.

Videos posted in here look good. Sound design seems very good judging from videos.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
"Not janky, not buggy, Not flawed" is damning with faint praise if I've ever heard any. The game is going to be mediocre, but that doesn't mean you can't like it. That was the perception of the majority of people viewing the previews and that's what the reviews say so far. People stamping their feet about their only being 6 reviews are going to find some other excuse when there are 20 that say the same. We've seen this pattern of behavior since SNES. Some people just hype themselves up to the point that they feel everyone else needs to feel the same. It's fine. Enjoy the game. No one is stopping you. I'm glad you will get pleasure out of it!

I'm saying it doesn't have anything that would bring it down to an actual 60MC game. There is some disconnect that I'm not seeing here.

I mean just look at the game actually being played on the Fextralife stream right now. In a world with actual janky ass games, this isn't one of them.

Somnia

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I'm saying it doesn't have anything that would bring it down to an actual 60MC game. There is some disconnect that I'm not seeing here.

I mean just look at the game actually being played on the Fextralife stream right now. In a world with actual janky ass games, this isn't one of them.

Yep agreed, been watching his stream since he started. Game looks fun, combat looks good, sound effects are good. Haven't seen any jank or bugs.

This isn't going to be a great game, but it seems good. It has coop, it has loot and thats what I want so I'm still in.

Nkcell

Jun 24, 2020

I guess it's how you perceive that score. A score in the 60's to me says, "This is a game that is around average. It's going to be be forgotten in a few months. But you could enjoy it if you like the genre". I'm not sure the absence of critical flaws automatically means a game should be higher than a 60.

This is probably an issue with gaming reviews as a platform. Scores under 50 are basically all the same and useless. So the actual scale is really 50-100. I feel like game reviews have become:
Mid-High 90's: Best of all time. Everyone should play.
Low 90's: Great game. Most people will enjoy.
80's: Solid game. WIll have some significant flaws, but overall be a good experience if you are a fan of the genre, but if you aren't eh.
70's: Average game where the flaws and positives are about equal. Could be worth it for people who enjoy the genre.
60's: Slightly lower than average game. Only worth it if you are really into this type of game.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017

Problem with most reviews is that different people have different expectations and what they want out of a game. Hell when destiny first came out it had average reviews too, and I spent hours upon hours with that game ta launch. I think reviews that score games are terrible and ive been saying that forever vs where they do scales that are more like do not buy, buy if you like the genre etc. The game is not gonna get any game of the year nods nor did I expect it to Imo. But thats far from saying mediocre unless people are actually elaborating on what scale they are putting the game on.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad that the lack of Crossplay made me wait. I'll wait for a 20 dollars sale.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I guess it's how you perceive that score. A score in the 60's to me says, "This is a game that is around average. It's going to be be forgotten in a few months. But you could enjoy it if you like the genre". I'm not sure the absence of critical flaws automatically means a game should be higher than a 60.

This is probably an issue with gaming reviews as a platform. Scores under 50 are basically all the same and useless. So the actual scale is really 50-100. I feel like game reviews have become:
80's: Solid game. WIll have some significant flaws, but overall be a good experience if you are a fan of the genre, but if you aren't eh.
70's: Average game where the flaws and positives are about equal. Could be worth it for people who enjoy the genre.
60's: Slightly lower than average game. Only worth it if you are really into this type of game.

For me it's relative to other games.

DMC5SE is the pinnacle of melee action games to me, is this as good as that? No. Okay so below it.

Of all the recent AAA melee action games that came out, the one that looks the least satisfying to me was Avengers (bonk!)

I do not think Godfall looks or feels worse than Avengers. And that game got 68.

But now that I read some of the reviews from IGN/Gamespot etc. none of it were particularly damning either. They just didn't have any scores atm.

OP
OP
Anastasis

Anastasis

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
First impressions matter, and it is too bad that there wasn't some set time for all the reviews to drop so that we would have a clearer picture. Folks on the fence have seen the score "62" (based on the first 6 reviews) and are out. To be fair, maybe the game ends up as a 62, but we just don't know yet.

I don't want to be one who overhypes (or underhypes) any game. I do think many of the criticisms for the lower scores are unfair. This is a game whose bulk was developed by 30 people. I'm not missing a digit. Last year their team "crested to 85". For reviews to suggest it should be more like Destiny... I just don't get it. For a loot game whose endgame is important... I didn't see much in these reviews about it either.

I am grateful that some folks are having a good time with it. I think that many of us will too.

tripleg

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 30, 2020

You seem to be hell bent on trashing this game, so please, just let me know - why do you take a metascore of 60 with 6 reviews as gospel?

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
First impressions matter, and it is too bad that there wasn't some set time for all the reviews to drop so that we would have a clearer picture. Folks on the fence have seen the score "62" and are out. To be fair, maybe the game ends up as a 62, but we just don't know yet.

It's never too late for a comeback these days.

I did wonder why there wasn't any embargo date?

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Just ~6h left! Can't wait to dig into the game.

Interesting tidbit:
If you play on hard, you can only die trice before failing a mission. but you get more loot. Added pressure!
1e4b14ab5825c06ced05476ad2704461.png

Nkcell

Jun 24, 2020
You seem to be hell bent on trashing this game, so please, just let me know - why do you take a metascore of 60 with 6 reviews as gospel?

Because the 6 reviews are the tangible data we have by people who have sat down and played the game? Why don't you take a step backwards, zoom out, and realize that you are the one who is looking at evidence, ignoring it, and then stating, "actually it doesn't matter because it hasn't reached an arbitrary threshold I deem acceptable".

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Just ~6h left! Can't wait to dig into the game.

Interesting tidbit:
If you play on hard, you can only die trice before failing a mission. but you get more loot. Added pressure!
1e4b14ab5825c06ced05476ad2704461.png
Oh hard sounds way way better, normal looks way too easy and forgiving.

The fact bosses dont regen all their health is joke tier with infinite respawns.

tripleg

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 30, 2020
Because the 6 reviews are the tangible data we have by people who have sat down and played the game? Why don't you take a step backwards, zoom out, and realize that you are the one who is looking at evidence, ignoring it, and then stating, "actually it doesn't matter because it hasn't reached an arbitrary threshold I deem acceptable".

I really hope you are not in a science or mathematical field.

Haxik

Oct 27, 2017

You know that reviewers got the game on Monday, right? So, setting aside that 6 reviews is pretty poor data, you're assuming as WORD the "reviews" of guys who have had the game for just two days. Not a single review talks about endgame! And pretty serious outlets like Gameinformer, IGN or Gamespot tell that they've been less than ten hours into the game. But yeah, we've got plenty of info to rip apart this game, of course...

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I think you'll learn the combat much better and be better equipped for the endgame for sure.
yup!
I really hope you are not in a science or mathematical field.
Yeah. Because I know the way to truly score something and assess its value is not but an aggregate of weighted averages without shedding outliers that score outside the range lol. That's crazy how anyone could assess a game like that as gospel again why review scores are dumb lol.

Going live in 10 minutes. If anyone wants to see the game in action or ask questions, I'll be around on my stream to answer them.

www.twitch.tv/shadowhaxor
Thanks! Def will tune in!

tripleg

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 30, 2020
Yeah. Because I know the way to truly score something and assess its value is not but an aggregate of weighted averages without shedding outliers that score outside the range lol. That's crazy how anyone could assess a game like that as gospel again why review scores are dumb lol.

Exactly my point, anyone running off to the races with 6 reviews as gospel is insane.

Nkcell

Jun 24, 2020
Exactly my point, anyone running off to the races with 6 reviews as gospel is insane.

I'm not. At no point did I say this. I'm not even saying it's going to be a bad game. Every preview for this game has looked mediocre imo. We have 6 preliminary reviews that essentially agree with that sentiment, which is not gospel at all, but it's not worthless either. People usually don't feel that meh about a game after 10 hours and then suddenly wrap around to find it amazing.

Let me ask you. What do think is going to happen with this game? Do you think the rest of the reviews are going to pour in at the 80's and 90's. Do you think it's going to be a hidden gem? That people are going to still be talking about it or playing it in a year from now? Even 2-3 months from now?

tripleg

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 30, 2020
I'm not. At no point did I say this. I'm not even saying it's going to be a bad game. Every preview for this game has looked mediocre imo. We have 6 preliminary reviews that essentially agree with that sentiment, which is not gospel at all, but it's not worthless either. People usually don't feel that meh about a game after 10 hours and then suddenly wrap around to find it amazing.

Let me ask you. What do think is going to happen with this game? Do you think the rest of the reviews are going to pour in at the 80's and 90's. Do you think it's going to be a hidden gem? That people are going to still be talking about it or playing it in a year from now? Even 2-3 months from now?

I think like I always have thought and been consistent. Wait and see before formulating an opinion or doom saying (like you and others have - especially in the official Review thread). I also don't weigh reviews heavily, so watching the stream just now gets me excited for a hole I have in my gaming library - for a decent looter since D3 fell flat on its face and Remnant of Ashes was too short.

OP
OP
Anastasis

Anastasis

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
No other games I want are in that deal since the first party Sony games aren't included. Big sad.
Not sure if you know, but if you place an order for three games that qualify, you can cancel the other two right after and get the 1 game for 33% off (if all games are the same price). Make sure to have three different games in the cart though as for some glitchy reason if you buy 3 of the same and cancel, the tax on the two cancelled doesn't drop off).

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
No matchmaking had been confirmed on their FAQ. What in the fuck!
Interesting decision, which for me I'm okay with, but I get how some people would want that. But when you are doing shit its hella annoying playing with people who dont know wtf they are doing. But I totally get being annoyed by that. I guess people gotta form their teams up

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao what? That can't be right? If so, it has become a hard pass.
Interesting decision, which for me I'm okay with, but I get how some people would want that. But when you are doing shit its hella annoying playing with people who dont know wtf they are doing. But I totally get being annoyed by that. I guess people gotta form their teams up
FAQ
Is Cross-play or Cross-save available between PlayStation 5 and PC?
Not at this time.

Is there matchmaking?
Godfall does not support matchmaking.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
The online-only is annoying for a fully priced game. Other than that, I think the game has potential. It actually reminds me of Anthem and is probably headed the same way. Without PVP I don't see it having legs past the first few weeks, but I'd like to be wrong. Hopefully the devs have a solid roadmap because this is the kind of game that lives and dies with its update frequency.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017

Icarus

Oct 26, 2017
The no matchmaking side of things is a bad decision, hopefully they update that in the future.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
What is PlayStation 5 performance like in terms of resolution and framerate?
Like many other titles, we have two options for you to choose between for in-game performance:

• Favor Performance targets between 1080p and 1440p resolution and 60hz
  • Favor Resolution targets 2160p and runs between 30hz-45hz

well this is interesting, they have been showing 4k 60 videas but really its 1080-1440p 60? hm then 4k 30

also PC Specs

What are Godfall's minimum specs?
Godfall's minspec is benchmarked to "Low' graphics running at 1080/30FPS

• OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10
  • PROCESSOR: Intel Core i5-6600 | AMD Ryzen 5 1600
  • MEMORY: 12 GB RAM
  • GRAPHICS: AMD Radeon RX 580, 8 GB or Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060, 6 GB
  • STORAGE: 50GB (SSD Recommended)
What are Godfall's recommended specs?
Godfall's recommended spec is benchmarked to "High" graphics running at 1080/60FPS

• OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10
  • PROCESSOR: Intel Core i7-8700 | AMD Ryzen 5 3600
  • MEMORY: 16 GB RAM
  • GRAPHICS: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT, 8 GB or Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, 11 GB
  • STORAGE: 50GB (SSD Recommended)

full specs https://gearboxsoftware.zendesk.com...SK0ZrrUHMyrQ1kWzLjQm-8EA_hGIYyAvpsoYFYZ-my5i4

Last edited: