Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
It's more like a sign of lazyness. The notch is poor design. Apple used to innovative. Now it plays catch-up.
What phones without a notch have anything comparable to Face ID?
Note: using the front-facing camera to unlock the device is not the same. That's horribly insecure.

Sep 24, 2020
I love my blue iPhone 12 mini too OP.

iPhone-12-Mini-review-feat.png
Blue mini crew checking in!

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I feel the same about my Note 20 Ultra. I love the thing. Phones are at a point where they feel ultra premium with the glass and all that. I guess we are spending $1000+ on them... but heck, it's worth it if we enjoy using them right?

Megawarrior

Oct 25, 2017
I feel the same about my Note 20 Ultra. I love the thing. Phones are at a point where they feel ultra premium with the glass and all that. I guess we are spending $1000+ on them... but heck, it's worth it if we enjoy using them right?
If Samsung kept the sd card slot I would have upgraded to the 21 from the 10+ instead of to the 12 pro max :(

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017
Rather, it's an indicator of how much disposable income many people have.

Pulp

Nov 4, 2017
The new design is great, but I don't mind the old one either. I have an 11 Pro Max but in a case. Based on the leaks so far I might be skipping an upgrade this year. The notch don't bother me at all but I would like a 120hz display.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
yep it's the first time i've bought the newest phone lol. now that i've experienced that OLED screen there's no way i can go back to LCD.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
iPhone 12 is a really great design, I have the S21 and I think it's the best designed Android phone in years as well.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
Seriously thinking of either going Apple or Samsung for my next phone. I think their phones are in another league in terms of design. Problem is that Samsung costs the same if not more than Apple at this point.

bionic77

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its kind of weird we refer to inanimate objects like cars and cell phones as being sexy.

Yes they have curves and are appealing visually, but I don't know if I would make it analogous to the curves on a woman's body or any human body for that matter.

That said I agree with the OP and for myself the appearance of the device was always important. Back when Sony ruled consumer electronics it is why I preferred their devices even though some other brands could do the same things your Sony walkman or tv could do, I was definitely drawn to their exterior appearance.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
The new design is great, but I don't mind the old one either. I have an 11 Pro Max but in a case. Based on the leaks so far I might be skipping an upgrade this year. The notch don't bother me at all but I would like a 120hz display.
11 Pro Max here

I thought 120hz is a safe bet this year?

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I gotta ask? What's the appeal of the Max/XL/+ sized phones?

I want a smaller phone if anything, like I have large hands and I can't reach corner to corner.

Tobor

Died as he lived: wrong about Doritos
Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Its kind of weird we refer to inanimate objects like cars and cell phones as being sexy.

Yes they have curves and are appealing visually, but I don't know if I would make it analogous to the curves on a woman's body or any human body for that matter.

That said I agree with the OP and for myself the appearance of the device was always important. Back when Sony ruled consumer electronics it is why I preferred their devices even though some other brands could do the same things your Sony walkman or tv could do, I was definitely drawn to their exterior appearance.

Jobs was a big fan of Sony. Beating Sony's Vaio laptops(which were the visual standard at the time) was a huge focus for him.

And when they did, guess how he described it…

"We have the power, but they have the sex. We want both. We want the power and the sex" - Steve Jobs announcing the Titanium PowerBook.

Lol.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
11 Pro Max here

From every rumor I've read, most of them from the extremely reputable Ming-Chi Kuo, an Apple analyst, have said that at least the Pro Max phones will have 120hz displays this year. Not saying that's 100% for certain, but that particular person is spot on waaaaaaaaay more than he's wrong.

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
Agreed. My first iPhone as well. Tired of googles shit, and knowing Apple updates are long supported means hopefully this thing lasts at least 5 or more years.

bionic77

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jobs was a big fan of Sony. Beating Sony's Vaio laptops(which were the visual standard at the time) was a huge focus for him.

And when they did, guess how he described it…

"We have the power, but they have the sex. We want both. We want the power and the sex" - Steve Jobs announcing the Titanium PowerBook.

Lol.

I generally hate the saying as it is both dumb and dismissive but man that did not age well....

Power + Sex = good laptop!

Oct 25, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg
153997-phones-review-hands-on-samsung-galaxy-s20-fe-image1-n1j5wpamd4.JPG

I ragged on it when it was first leaked but I've grown to like the look of the S21 and probably think either the blue S21 Ultra or the blue S20 FE is the cleanest looking major smartphone now. The iPhone 12 Pro's blue is definitely the cleanest that phone has ever looked though, outside of the reflective side rails and the ugly notch there are no real problems with the phone's look. Both get smoked by obscure (in the US) Chinese smartphones but I presumed they weren't really in the equation.

brotherbean

Oct 26, 2017
I just brought home a 12 Pro Max in Pacific Blue earlier and you're right OP, it is an absolutely gorgeous phone. It's also one of the most excessive things I've ever bought, and I'm still wrapping my head around that a little, but I'll get there. The jump from my XR hasn't felt extremely significant yet, but I'm still scratching the surface on this thing so far.

I'm also going caseless for the moment and even with full Apple Care coverage I'm like a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs with this thing. I hate the idea of a big, bulky case on such a great-looking device, but I'll probably put something on it eventually. If nothing else maybe a bumper to protect the edges as that may accentuate the appearance of the phone slightly rather than obscure it completely.

Dekevo

Oct 27, 2017
What phones without a notch have anything comparable to Face ID?
Note: using the front-facing camera to unlock the device is not the same. That's horribly insecure.
I rather have fingerprint unlock. Has been working great for me. I also own an iPad pro and an iMac, mini and Macbook Pro. I just don't care for iphone.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
I've been wondering lately if I should have just gone for the 12 Max. I'm home 90% of the time as it is so the size probably didn't matter nearly as much as it did in my mind. 12 Pro in blue has been treating me well so far.

Hope for the 13 Pro they let me pick purple and not make it exclusive to jus the 12.

hwalker84

Oct 29, 2017
Pittsburgh
120hz
Underscreen selfie cam
Apple Pencil Support
USBC or at least make all their charging accessories USBC

… and my iPhone 12 Pro Max hardware would be LITERALLY perfect. There's nothing else I clamor for. It's a beast.

Thing slices and diced through everything and looks amazing doing it.
This for the love of god. They do this and I'm back. But truly I'll just take USB-C.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
I think this year is my upgrade year. Gotta see what the next iteration is going to be though.

Tobor

Died as he lived: wrong about Doritos
Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
I went caseless for every iPhone I ever had until the 7 Plus and now the 11. The rounded design combined with the overall size just made it feel slippery in the hand.

I cannot wait to get a 12S(I doubt they call it 13) just to go back to being caseless again.

I generally hate the saying as it is both dumb and dismissive but man that did not age well....

Power + Sex = good laptop!

Yeah it's not Job's finest moment.

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, and how effective marketing is. £1,000 on a phone is just insane imho. Insane.
Marketing is definitely also a big part of it. Not exactly iPhones, but the fact that Apple managed sell those overpriced old-ass EarPods with wireless and so it became a status symbol for youngster.

Jesus fucking christ, if that isn't marketing working its magic…

Pulp

Nov 4, 2017
11 Pro Max here

The only changes I've seen rumored is a smaller notch and some camera upgrades. But I haven't really been digging either to be fair.
From every rumor I've read, most of them from the extremely reputable Ming-Chi Kuo, an Apple analyst, have said that at least the Pro Max phones will have 120hz displays this year. Not saying that's 100% for certain, but that particular person is spot on waaaaaaaaay more than he's wrong.
Oh, okay. If this will come true than maybe I'll upgrade!

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, and how effective marketing is. £1,000 on a phone is just insane imho. Insane.
Most people buying these devices treat them as more than "a phone."
They might spend hours using it every day.

I gotta ask? What's the appeal of the Max/XL/+ sized phones?
I want a smaller phone if anything, like I have large hands and I can't reach corner to corner.
It should be obvious, but you can see/do a lot more with a bigger screen, or scale things up if you have vision issues.
I don't know anyone that uses a phone one-handed.

If you've actually seen/used an iPhone 5/5s/SE lately, those things seem ridiculously small now.

The 12 Mini is similar in size, but with a much larger display.

iphone-size_2ckcd.jpg

I rather have fingerprint unlock. Has been working great for me.
Touch ID security had a 1 in 50,000 chance that someone else could unlock your device.
Face ID security is 1 in 1,000,000.

I just don't care for iphone.
Then why do you care if it has a notch?

BrucCLea13k87

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have the iPhone 12 mini and I initially really liked it but I'm going back up in size for the 13. Maybe I'm an idiot but I've misplaced and dropped it several times which has never really happened to me before. And the battery life isn't the greatest but it's still good. I'd say it's the best small phone on the market for sure. 13 will be the last time to get the mini. The next SE will replace it in 2022

knocturnalis

Oct 27, 2017
I had a Galaxy S10+ then an iPhone SE 2020. I'm actually liking the smaller size and the way it fits in my hand. The only way I would upgrade is if they made an iPhone 13 Mini with Touch ID. Unfortunately that probably won't happen. Apple cannibalized the iPhone 12 Mini's market share by releasing the iPhone SE 2020 a few months earlier, meaning that everyone bought the SE because they thought it was going to be the only small iPhone released last year.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lol @ the pearl clutching in this thread about how people choose to spend their own money

anyway agreed that the 12 is peak iPhone design -- can't wait for the redesigned Watch following the same design langauge

Daingurse

Oct 25, 2017
I upgraded from a worn-out Galaxy S8 to a blue iPhone 12 recently, and It really is a handsome phone. I'm too scared to not have some kind of case on it though, so right now it resembles a HxH Hunter License lol. But, damn do I miss that sexy blue!

Klotera

Oct 27, 2017
Touch ID security had a 1 in 50,000 chance that someone else could unlock your device.
Face ID security is 1 in 1,000,000.

To be fair, though, those are Apple's numbers, to promote their switch to Face ID. I'd like to see an independent study that can replicate this (from a quick search, seems most articles just reference back to Apple's claimed numbers). While anecdotal, we've had stories of family members being able to unlock phones with Face ID.

That being said, even if true, isn't 1 in 50,000 realistically enough? Apple was never claiming their Touch ID wasn't secure enough until they wanted to justify the notch. It's still secure enough for them to put in the base iPad and iPad Air.

To be clear, I have a Pixel 4 XL with face unlock, so I'm living with it, myself. It's fast and reliable, but I prefer fingerprint scanner, especially when the trade-off is screen real-estate. It won't be the deciding factor when I look at my next upgrade (which will likely be a decision between the next iPhone and Pixel models), but all things being equal, that's absolutely my preference.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
It should be obvious, but you can see/do a lot more with a bigger screen, or scale things up if you have vision issues.
I don't know anyone that uses a phone one-handed.

If you've actually seen/used an iPhone 5/5s/SE lately, those things seem ridiculously small now.

The 12 Mini is similar in size, but with a much larger display.

iphone-size_2ckcd.jpg

Yeah, I use mobile devices every day testing games, so I know the sizes, and vision issues are for sure a concern...

But I don't want to use my phone two handed, I want to be able to use it with one hand, stuff like the iPhone 5C, SE 1st gen, Galaxy S4/S5 are great phone sizes. and you can still do a LOT on them.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I've been using an iPad Air I bought myself over Christmas pretty heavily, as well as an iPhone 11 Pro from work and I think I'm kinda sold on iOS and Apple's overall hardware design. Very tempted to jump on the iPhone 12 Pro Max for my personal handset and pick up an Apple Watch, but there's probably no point given how close we are to September. I'm hoping the 13 looks similar.

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
The build quality is really nice on my 11 Pro Max and I enjoy the feel of it caseless whenever I pull it out of the case to set up in my Backbone, but the entire reason I got an iPhone was because Apple supports their phones for 5+ years so going caseless isn't for me. I'm using this dumb ass phone until the battery dies and then I'm paying for a battery replacement.

Thankfully my battery health is still sitting at 98%.