• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 41931

User requested account closure
Apr 10, 2018
That'd only really be a positive if RDR2 had good pacing, but a good 20-30 hours is spent in chapter 2 and 3 doing mostly random stuff and hunting.
GoW has it's own pacing issues, but no where near as long as RDR2's.
If you spent 20-30 hours on chapter 2 and 3, that's on you though. You can see the credits in 30 or so hours if you focus purely on main missions. It's also just a lot larger in scope then GoW in terms of story and characters. There's literally more members of the Van der Linde gang then there are characters in GoW just in general. Which could be fine, but if you cut out all the "uh oh, we can't get through this smoke, off to alfheim" stuff, you have at most 5 hours of actual important stuff.

Which is not to say RDR2's pacing is amazing or anything, I would have cut the island adventure side plot, but its also spinning a lot more plates.

Oct 25, 2017
2010:
3gz1n5e.png

2018:
Vfz7l9K.png

Me:
tenor.gif

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Well deserved and my personal Game of the Year. Congrats to all involved with it :)

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
If you spent 20-30 hours on chapter 2 and 3, that's on you though. You can see the credits in 30 or so hours if you focus purely on main missions. It's also just a lot larger in scope then GoW in terms of story and characters. There's literally more members of the Van der Linde gang then there are characters in GoW just in general. Which could be fine, but if you cut out all the "uh oh, we can't get through this smoke, off to alfheim" stuff, you have at most 5 hours of actual important stuff.

There's a lot of fat in RDR 2 story as well, Valentine, the two families, Bronte, the Natives, it's all the same premise all over again. I believe that it wasn't neccesary to have three chapters focusing on the same idea of making money and laying low until something explodes.
To me RDR 2 is like your favourite long show, Game of Thrones is mine, there's always some seasons that goes on too long.

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
I kinda thought the nominees were a bit weak but looking at the top games of the year on Metacritic, I can't think of anything that I'd really fight for. My choice from those would probably be Celeste though, maybe Spider-man. I never played RDR2.

I have a friend who LOVED God of War so I don't really mind it winning. There's a lot of love for that game even if you hear lots of negativity when it's talked about now. Of course discussion about it will be negative when the only recent discussion I can think about were threads around Joseph Anderson and Matthewmatosis YouTube reviews.

osodemolay

Oct 28, 2017
Deserved!
God of War and RDR2 are fantastic games, but I enjoyed the former from start to finish, that's the big difference for me.

SpinlyLimbs

Banned
Feb 1, 2018
Think God of War just wasn't for you if that's how you feel about it tbh because I had the totally opposite experience with it.

The camera was tight but it totally worked fine, especially if you use the indicators for incoming attacks from behind. The enemy lunge distance was fine to dodge or block / parry if you learn the attack patterns and have good timing. I thought juggling was fine, especially when in combo with some of the special attacks and the cool downs were to stop people spamming them and making the combat far too easy. The RPG system was also fine but I like RPG's so felt right at home with handling different armour and items to buff stats.

The mistletoe thing was easy to see coming if you know the myths of course but nothing major, as for Atreus doing a 180, well he got cocky learning he was a God and like a lot of young kids might do, he thought he was better than others (the power went to his head) but it was character development and he learned from it.
The indicators were part of the problem. Why not use an auditory cue since you have two characters accompanying you the majority of the time. The entire decision reeks of "we couldn't zoom out the camera and keep visual fidelity" in other words they sacrificed good gameplay for journalist wooing visuals. During juggling enemies stay completely flat with no reasonable animation for reaction, it looks terrible and feels even worse.

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
God of War is amazing. It's a well-deserved win for the team at Santa Monica. I am glad it's one of the few games I've been able to beat in the last several years.

The fact that other amazing games came out this year and were also amazing spoke volumes on how much of a win this is for Santa Monica. I loved Spider-Man and Astrobot, I look forward to playing more of Red Dead Redemption 2, but God of War may just be my game of the generation so far.

Congrats, Santa Monica Studios!

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
20-30 hours Is on the fast side, the game gives you zero reasons to rush those chapters and the game would be worst if you did, so no it's not on me, if you are beating RDR2 in 30 hours it's on you.
The important part of GoW is Atreus and Kratos relationship and setting up the world, it takes far more the 5 hours to build that, the journey to the highest mountain isn't the games story.

Also, despite all the characters only Arthur really develops well overtime and is as well written as Kratos and BOY!.
Dutch is done well enough and John in the epilogue is good,.
but none of them come close to Arthur and it sticks out. Whereas pretty much everyone is well done in GoWs much smaller cast, less likeable characters in GoW? Sure, but they are all pretty much well done (outside of Magni and Modi really).

Last edited:

Acquiesc3

Oct 30, 2017
Grats to Cory and the team, well deserved. I'd figure it was either GoW or RDR2.. I'm in chapter 4 in RDR2 right now and while it's EXCELLENT.. you do get a sense GoW is the bolder game when compared to both studios' previous games.

Papaya

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
California
It was my game of the year! Well deserved. In the end, RDR2 had too many gameplay issues, and I dont think we should reward R* for extremely crunching their way to GotY.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
This was absolutely shocking considering red dead 2 was sweeping every other category that it was pitted against God of War. Congrats to God of War of course, but I'm curious what the mentality for voters was. "give everything else to RDR 2 since gow is my goty"?
Your post has already been addressed, but I also wanted to mention that there's something to be said for games that are more than the sum of their parts. Even if each individual piece may not be the best thing in a vacuum, don't underestimate the cohesiveness as a whole.

Comet

Oct 27, 2017
It's probably my GOTY next to Octopath Traveler. I need to play more of RDR2, the 10 or so hours I put into it didn't do much at all for me other than frustrate me with the odd controls.

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
God Of War was phenomenal, but Red Dead Redemption 2 is one of the best, and most important video games ever created. It sets a new and astonishing standard for world building, transcendent verisimilitude, and is a true work of art.

God Of War won because it was the crowd pleaser equivalent of an Oscar winning movie losing to something far more important, well written, and requiring of a more patient and mature mind to appreciate.

Shit happens.

Even Cory knows deep in his heart that Red Dead was clearly, remarkably better.

This is the first thing I read this morning when reading this thread. Always good to start the day with a good laugh.

Cyborg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Congrats, Amazing game, Amazig Studio and Amazing Director.

They took a risk and I love the fact the reward is there.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Congrats to the team. I was a God of War sceptic going in but I ended up loving it. In my Top Ten of the year without a doubt. It's a stunning achievement. Great work!

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Your post has already been addressed, but I also wanted to mention that there's something to be said for games that are more than the sum of their parts. Even if each individual piece may not be the best thing in a vacuum, don't underestimate the cohesiveness as a whole.
You can make that argument plenty of places but if in theory RDR2 had won every other category which implies it would have been considered the top of the top as separate categories to come around and then say "well it was the best individually beating this other title as separate aspects, but as a whole package the title that came in second was somehow better" makes no sense to me as a thought process.

This would only apply if it had swept everything else/the grand majority of the big and small awards. But as I was corrected, gow won some of the major awards that amounted to a higher experience to these reviewers when it was paired to arguably "the second best" in other categories.

Oct 31, 2017
And ?

There were many great games the past years and Sony always had an contender.

I don't think he was trolling. I lol'd reading it just because, despite all the quality since 2015, this was their first win they could get because there was always that game that topped them, and this year could have been RDR2. And since this started in 2014, they missed out on an easy 2013 win.

Kenjovani

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Bloodbor.... robbeddddd!!! Oh wait, no this game was my choice honestly amongst many tht could have won in it's own right.

I think it deserved it more bcus as others have mentioned it was a reimagining of the ip with some risky changes tht paid off!!!!

The best dev's on Sony are neck and neck and I love the competition.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
But alas it's God of War's spotlight and it deserves as much as RDR2 did; although I personally believe RDR2 is significantly better.
RDR2 is infinitely superior to me as well. Opinions are opinions and as such, like I said earlier I couldn't even finish God of War due to it becoming a repetitious, insufferable slog from the midpoint onward. It just boggles my mind how much love that game gets; but then again, some people might have their minds boggled by how much love Red Dead Redemption II gets. Oh well.
Red Dead was robbed.
Lol, I really wanted it to win GOTY too :(

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
I preferred RDR2, but I can't really argue with this choice. Both ar amazing games. It just depends on preference.

Deleted member 41931

User requested account closure
Apr 10, 2018
There's a lot of fat in RDR 2 story as well, Valentine, the two families, Bronte, the Natives, it's all the same premise all over again. I believe that it wasn't neccesary to have three chapters focusing on the same idea of making money and laying low until something explodes.
To me RDR 2 is like your favourite long show, Game of Thrones is mine, there's always some seasons that goes on too long.
Oh definitley, I wouldn't consider RDR2 amazingly paced either. I think the entire island segment should have been heavily cut down since it only exists to showcase that these dreamed of tropical islands aren't quite the paradise Dutch was trying to make them out to be. My point was more that it's at least trying to cover a lot ground with a massive cast and typically focusing on some form of plot point.

WorldHero

Oct 27, 2017
Well deserved, I thought RDR2 had it but I preferred GOW as my game of the year anyway. Congrats to everyone!

The hype for the sequel will be insane.

RDR2 is the game of the generation so I guess GoW getting its single year moment before it is mostly forgotten about is fine. RDR2 on the other hand will influence game development for years in massive ways and doesn't really need a single year award to represent how impactful and masterful it is.

Poor Spidey, not winning anything :(

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
Yes, because none of that describes God of War. ;)

I realized after playing the remaster of 3 that it lost its steam 3/4s of the way in the game despite being an 8-hour game. The formula needed a reboot, and it got one big time. It was also nice to get away from GOW3's "story."

gow3 wasn't as good because it stayed in one whole place unlike gow1 and 2 where it was an adventure. you were stuck in a mountain and everything looked same-y and the sky looked grim and grey. gow2 is still the best followed very, very closely by gow1 then ghost of sparta. if ascension stuck with the same combat it would have been way better than gow3. actually, it took some getting used to but once you're in the flow it's actually really good. and the only thing i didn't like about gow2 was that they toned down the traps and spikes. gow1 was so good because of those, reminded me of prince of persia sands of time.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
You can make that argument plenty of places but if in theory RDR2 had won every other category which implies it would have been considered the top of the top as separate categories to come around and then say "well it was the best individually beating this other title as separate aspects, but as a whole package the title that came in second was somehow better" makes no sense to me as a thought process.
Using an extreme impossible example to illustrate my point, but suppose you had Hans Zimmer compose the most grandiose space opera suite to ever exist and stick it into the slick art direction of a Japanese town ala Persona 5. Doesn't really gel together even though both elements are top of class. Not hard to consider what that would look like if you reel in the example a bit. Unlikely that such a game gets developed? Sure. Impossible to even contemplate? Nah.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
I don't think he was trolling. I lol'd reading it just because, despite all the quality since 2015, this was their first win they could get because there was always that game that topped them, and this year could have been RDR2. And since this started in 2014, they missed out on an easy 2013 win.

Yeah, it was very hard to get a Goty the past years.

But having every year an contender with BB, UC4, Horizon and GoW is really strong.
And next year also with Dreams, maybe Tlou2, GoT or DS.

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Pretty cool to see them win. They really had the deck stacked against them with this game and they delivered one amazing experience. Loved every second of it.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wish Celeste could win, but overall I'm just glad RDR2 didn't. I'm glad the industry still puts gameplay as the highest priority.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Using an extreme impossible example to illustrate my point, but suppose you had Hans Zimmer compose the most grandiose space opera suite to ever exist and stick it into the slick art direction of a Japanese town ala Persona 5. Doesn't really gel together even though both elements are top of class. Not hard to consider what that would look like if you reel in the example a bit. Unlikely that such a game gets developed? Sure. Impossible to even contemplate? Nah.
It still would be far fetched for me to say a game score would clash so much that it would bring down a game yet they consider it amazing. I wouldn't think gaming industry personalities would award it say score of the year even though they think it clashes with everything else and another games score meshed better.

It's all theoretical anyways until I see some posts of voters in here just like we saw the thought processes of academy awards members where they showed they didn't always put much thought into their choice for something.

Oct 31, 2017
gow3 wasn't as good because it stayed in one whole place unlike gow1 and 2 where it was an adventure. you were stuck in a mountain and everything looked same-y and the sky looked grim and grey. gow2 is still the best followed very, very closely by gow1 then ghost of sparta. if ascension stuck with the same combat it would have been way better than gow3. actually, it took some getting used to but once you're in the flow it's actually really good. and the only thing i didn't like about gow2 was that they toned down the traps and spikes. gow1 was so good because of those, reminded me of prince of persia sands of time.

You hit the nail on the head with those first two sentences. And I think GOW3 needed a shakeup itself, just because of the set-up in GOW2. Like everyone scales the mountain and then you're back to the normal, "Go to this location, face enemies, do some puzzles, sex mini-game," where it probably needed some kind of difference in pace. The idea of killing Zeus and then going to a different mythology the same game somehow (Jaffe and Barlog talked about this) or something along those lines is probably a different way it could have worked.

I don't have all the answers just sitting here without a creative group, but when you end with the Titans coming back to lay waste to the Gods, it just feels strange that the fight is over soon and you see Hades in another place, Hermes in another place, and a slow ascent from a couple other titans.

Yeah, it was very hard to get a Goty the past years.

But having every year an contender with BB, UC4, Horizon and GoW is really strong.
And next year also with Dreams, maybe Tlou2, GoT or DS.

Hell, they had multiple contenders this year considering how many people I've read put Spidey or Astro Bot in their GOTY category. And that's ignoring a really great SOTC remake, which is saying something.

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
i actually don't enjoy god of war as much as the previous entries, havent finished it, and i've been playing rdr2 really sporadically (only played it twice, an hour each or so) - so i am not really that invested in either - but i'd rather have god of war take it. movement in rdr2 is so clunky it's like their arrogance stopped them from refining it in qa and just said, 'fuck it they'll play this shit anyway'.