• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't that enamoured with it. It was good, but didn't really click with me. I got quite far but my enthusiasm just gradually faded away.

CNoodles

Banned
Mar 7, 2019
The hype for this game really shows gameplay does not really matter as long as the graphics are good, story is decent and the cutscenes are very well choreographed then people will shout " its GOAT". This game is the problem with AAA games these days, shallow gameplay and huge budget for graphics and cutscenes.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The hype for this game really shows gameplay does not really matter as long as the graphics are good, story is decent and the cutscenes are very well choreographed then people will shout " its GOAT". This game is the problem with AAA games these days, shallow gameplay and huge budget for graphics and cutscenes.
Did you mean this post for a RDR2 thread?

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The gameplay in God of War is incredible. The combat is amazing. God of War = GOTY 2018

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
What is this bullshit

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017

Yeah, gonna say you're in the minority with that opinion. I was perfectly happy with the amount of freedom I had in the game to fight enemies.

Mezati99

Banned
Feb 6, 2019
Planet Earth

oH BuT tHe GaMePlaY SuCkS gUyS

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Lmao what

God of War 2018 has the best combat system a western studio has ever conceived. There is nothing like it.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Lmao what

God of War 2018 has the best combat system a western studio has ever conceived. There is nothing like it.

I want to say you're wrong but off the top of my head I can't think of any western-developed games with really amazing combat.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Thanks to you guys, this game had such a big fucking heart thanks to the love you all poured into it.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017

The gameplay is amazing. I've played it three times. It's fun as hell.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Considering how his gifs are extremely edited "Bullshots" par excellence, he would fit perfectly into a PR position. For sure.

Sad that this is only way to get noticed from people, media and even publisher/developers, with beautified gifs which doesn't reflects the real game at all. So yeah, the industry loves him, cause when they do this, everyone screams "downgrade", "fake", or "lies". But he gets celebrated for his Bullshots.

I kinda respect the effort behind it (up to the point where he got games for free from publisher) but I'm also sad that someone like me who used to post 100% raw gifs, with picture perfect quality and unedited as well as hundreds and hundreds of fantastic looking, lossless png screenshots for almost every new AAA (Or under) title doesn't get any recognition at all for doing it.

Feels just wrong. Feels like honest people with honest work get shit anymore these days.
cringe

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
You forgot to say this game sets a dangerous precedent! Come on, you can't leave that out when you're making a joke post. I'll let it slide this one time, but don't forget that part next time.

Edit: Joined just last month, no avatar, 44 messages, that post history full of hate towards Sony-published titles... ewww...

CNoodles

Banned
Mar 7, 2019
Lmao what

I compare GOW's gameplay to every game, not just western studio's and the gameplay is not good when comparing to other games. The only thing it has going for it are pretty graphics and cool cutscenes.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Oh, definitely, if Cyberpunk or Death Stranding or TLOU2 live up to their full potential they could definitely trump GOW.

Definitely. I think the one thing that God of War lacked was those singularly impactful moments in the story that made you go "WOW" and that were the moments you remembered long after.

TLOU did that so well, which is part of what allowed it to have such an emotional impact and why God of War doesn't surpass TLOU for me. If TLOU2 can achieve that again then it's no competition.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
I compare GOW's gameplay to every game, not just western studio's and the gameplay is not good when comparing to other games. The only thing it has going for it are pretty graphics and cool cutscenes.
I'm currently playing Bloodborne and i really enjoyed GoW combat way more, FS horrible engine makes it even worse.

diobrando74

Nov 11, 2017

LOL

John Bender

Oct 27, 2017
G
God of War has a great combat system, a great story, great soundtrack and great graphics. All around a great game.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
To me the only way to tell a good combat system from a great one is to see if it gets boring/frustrating on the highest difficulty. If it does, it's not a good combat system.

If you just plowed through GoW on Normal, you probably think the game has a great combat system because it has satisfying animations and a good sense of weight to it. But there's more to a great combat system than just those things.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

The game is very gameplay heavy, and the gameplay itself extremely deep, rewarding, mechanically complex and highly polished. Easily up there with the best combat in any hack and slash game out there, along with incredible level design and simple, yet creative, intuitive and engaging puzzles. You likely have a very limited and jaded notion or understanding of what constitutes as good gameplay, hence your extreme outlier opinion.

Oct 31, 2017
After the sucess of this game, Sony will dedicate 50 million budget just for Thor boss fight lol

It will be marvelous

Dude, I can only get so excited, okay?

I may or may not read every God of War thread that passes the front page here and all the support (and critique) is great to see.

Thanks everyone :)

Thank you.

The gameplay is excellent.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Great to see SunhiLegend 's work getting recognition. And it is also wonderful to see that the success of franchise means another victory for big budget campaign driven SP games in the midst of mostly MTX driven GAAS games.

It would be remiss if I did not mention that this level of success is a double edged sword for the franchise and the talents behind them. And yet I have faith that the team can block out the noise and remain down to earth enough to pull off another grand vision with a PS5 exclusive sequel consisting of "simple story, complex characters".

This goes beyond the realm of Personal Opinion and into straight up objective bullshit.

Last edited:

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I finished it in like 2 weeks, i think i played 5-6 hours straight a few times i haven't done that with any game in absolutley ages. Gameplay is fantastic alot of options which is fun and easy to learn.

Can't wait to kick thor and odins ass with kratos in the next gow. They really want too mess with him after what he did too zeus and his boys?

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
To me the only way to tell a good combat system from a great one is to see if it gets boring/frustrating on the highest difficulty. If it does, it's not a good combat system.

If you just plowed through GoW on Normal, you probably think the game has a great combat system because it has satisfying animations and a good sense of weight to it. But there's more to a great combat system than just those things.
If I am good enough then I can take out any enemy at any level in God of War. Git Gud scrub /s.

Robinson, your holier than thou attitude regard combat systems is very grating. And that attitude is pervasive throughout most of your post. And no, your posts very much don't imply that this is just your opinion. You speak as if you have soul authority on the subject. There are plenty of people who are great at playing character action games who love combat in God of War. Get over it.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
If I am good enough then I can take out any enemy at any level in God of War. Git Gud scrub /s.

Robinson, your holier than thou attitude regard combat systems is very grating. And that attitude is pervasive throughout most of your post. And no, your posts very much don't imply that this is just your opinion. You speak as if you have soul authority on the subject. There are plenty of people who are great at playing character action games who love combat in God of War. Get over it.

If I'm saying something, it's my opinion. Isn't that obvious?

God of War is a good game and its combat system is enjoyable. It's just not a top tier combat system like some people think it is. That's all I'm saying.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
Well done SMS. Really looking forward to the next one.

Just please, work on your boss fights a little more, if possible.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like at it's best Horizon has better combat than God of War, but God of War is far more consistent from encounter to encounter.

They're so close in quality I can change my opinion from one day to the next. I'm generally more into ranged combat though so Horizon is a little more up my alley.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
Shout-out woo! :D
I love this game so much, characters, story, the world and of course the combat, just feels so good which means I can always pick it up and replay sections/encounters whenever and have fun doing so. As an overall package it's just so insanely good. Love it.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I love this game so much, characters, story, the world and of course the combat, just feels so good which means I can always pick it up and replay sections/encounters whenever and have fun doing so. As an overall package it's just so insanely good. Love it.

Congrats on the shout-out :)

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
The amount of cringe in this thank you thread (from 2 separate posts, no less) is astonishing.

Anyway, thank YOU, SMS for GOW 2018. Outstanding work!

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I finished it in like 2 weeks, i think i played 5-6 hours straight a few times i haven't done that with any game in absolutley ages. Gameplay is fantastic alot of options which is fun and easy to learn.

Can't wait to kick thor and odins ass with kratos in the next gow. They really want too mess with him after what he did too zeus and his boys?
Yeah, it's one of the few games I played for long stretches, because I wanted to see what was next.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
No, I don't see where he's coming from. How can you say Gow has bad gameplay with a straight face? In comparison to what?

I agree, people hide behind "opinions" a lot, it's definitely becoming a thing on the internet. No, some opinions are just wrong. People conflate not liking something personally with meaning it's bad. I do not enjoy (mainline) Mario games, i just don't. But they are masterpieces and deserve all the accolades they get. In my opinion a dodge Caravan is a better track car than an Ariel Atom. If i were to say that with a straight face i'd deserve ridicule

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
You plebs who only play western games with pretty graphics and cutscenes are beneath me.
NFBRRiI.gif

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
If I'm saying something, it's my opinion. Isn't that obvious?

God of War is a good game and its combat system is enjoyable. It's just not a top tier combat system like some people think it is. That's all I'm saying.
Well, people who think that GoW's combat is top tier are also right since is their opinion and is valid as yours.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Be honest,

Did you know they would?

Last edited:

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I want to say you're wrong but off the top of my head I can't think of any western-developed games with really amazing combat.
Max Payne 3? It is the best playing 3rd person shooter ever imo, combat is just great in it so satisfying. Melee combat wise? GoW is pretty comfortably my favorite combat from a western game in that regard, only Nioh tops it overall for me.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
60fps God of War remaster is secretly my most wanted PS5 game.
God of War is essentially a 60fps game when played on the Pro in performance mode. Can't wait for consoles to have meaningful backward compatability as a standard so we never have to pay $40+ to move graphics settings up one single notch ever again

Last edited:

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
GoW II (?) is going to be crazy.
SSM have the mechanics down, know what works and can pretty much focus on making it better, bigger and more bad ass. I want to see where they go with the story too, a first for the series, as they have every ingredient to make it a classic tragedy.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks to the entire team for providing such an amazing experience. As I become older, I have less time to play and enjoy games so I focus on playing games that will deliver the type of experience I'm looking for. So many games fall short because I feel like I have such a high standard now. SSM, had gone above and beyond in delivering.