• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

patapon

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
https://www.dualshockers.com/god-of-war-exceed-sony-expectations/

During Sony's the financial conference call for investors and analysts, Chief Financial Officer Hiroki Totoki gave some interesting details on the performance of PlayStation's games.

First of all, we learn that the video game business was the primary factor in the significant increase in the revenue forecast for the whole company for the full fiscal year.

The yearly forecast for PS4 software sales was revised upwards due to the fact that God of War by Sony Interactive Entertainment Santa Monica Studios has "significantly exceeded expectations" alongside some third-party titles. On top of that, the games revealed at E3 "are receiving strong feedback."

Totoki-san also explained the reason behind the slight decrease in PlayStation Plus subscribers during the last quarter. He mentioned that the difference isn't major, but during previous quarter hit multiplayer games were released causing PS Plus subscribers to spike, then the numbers naturally stabilized.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
That sounds great, but it would be nice to have some numbers.

Anyways, with Spiderman coming up they have another huge success on the pipelines, which just goes to show Sony exclusives have never been in such a strong position before

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
I honestly wonder what they were expecting from God of War. I would have expected monster sales like it got, had I been able to fully see it before it came out.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Damn, significantly exceeded? Very nice! The only reason Spider-Man is likely to overtake this as my GOTY is my immense love for the Wall-Crawler.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Exclusives don't sell consoles though, always great to see a slap to the face of people saying that.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
"games at E3 receiving strong feedback" is not the same as "E3 receiving strong feedback", unless you mean the different kind of strong looking at how they acknowledged the presentation issues recently.
Good for Kratos.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
The PlayStation unit was again the standout. Its revenue climbed 36 percent during the quarter and operating profit nearly quintupled, riding stronger-than-expected sales of new games including God of War and Detroit: Become Human. More titles were also sold digitally through its PlayStation Network, which generates higher profit margins than through brick-and-mortar stores.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...s-estimates-on-playstation-sales-spotify-gain

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
"games at E3 receiving strong feedback" is not the same as "E3 receiving strong feedback", unless you mean the different kind of strong looking at how they acknowledged the presentation issues recently.
Good for Kratos.
I believe the former is more important than the latter for their bottom line.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Good for Kratos.

This is an earnings call answer about something positive - so 'strong feedback' refers to a positive feedback.

They're talking about how the social and interest metrics for TLOU2, Ghost, Spidey and DS are extremely strong. High level of coverage, positive impressions of what was shown, high youtube/etc views, those kind of feedback.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Incredible game. Couldn't put down the controller until all was said and done, plan to go back with NG+ or just a fresh save now I have a Pro.

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
Happy that GOW exceeded expectations. Great story and great combat all around. I just stumbled across this guy and good god, I didn't know such high level play is even possible. This should kill any notion that the combat was "dumbed down".

Markitron

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
I honestly wonder what they were expecting from God of War. I would have expected monster sales like it got, had I been able to fully see it before it came out.
The series is big, but the last major entry was 5 years ago with the last blockbuster entry being 8 years ago, the series had definitely cooled off. Had it been a solid 8/10 it would have sold a lot less.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
God of War E3 reveal must be my favorite game reveal of all time;

The orchestral cold opening, transitioning with the reveal of reboot god of war straight into gameplay with an extended demo that shown new weapon, new camera, new combat, and Kratos with more character developpment in 10 minutes than in the last 6 or 7 games... With all music played by the orchestra in front of the stage. It was a masterpiece.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
The series is big, but the last major entry was 5 years ago with the last blockbuster entry being 8 years ago, the series had definitely cooled off. Had it been a solid 8/10 it would have sold a lot less.
Perhaps, but surely Sony would have known that this game was much better than an 8/10. There are games much much worse than God of War that score within 10 points of where it ended up on metacritic. Plus 2017 has been a slow year for AAA releases. God of War kind of sucked up all the air in the room for two months.
God of War is their fastest selling first party title ever. I'm sure they expected good stuff but not necessarily best of all time tier.
I mean, I guess it's debatable, but at the time of release, God of War looked and played like the best game Sony has ever made. I'm not saying it is, but that was the perception of it. To me it only made sense to expect unprecedented sales. This game got the perfect storm, low competition, high quality, and huge install base at the same time.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Glad to hear God of War has done so massively well for them. I was sceptical after seeing initial footage but took a punt on a pre-order and it far exceeded any of my expectations. It's a phenomenal game.

Remind me, what new games did Sony reveal at E3?

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
Man I am so torn. I want to see Cory's new IP that he has planned but at the same time I still want him to lead the gow team. Maybe he can get away with bring an advisor on the sequels.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
Good for Kratos.
What do you think is more important, the games, or the E3 format.

Fyi, I hate their current E3 format too.

Man I am so torn. I want to see Cory's new IP that he has planned but at the same time I still want him to lead the gow team. Maybe he can get away with bring an advisor on the sequels.
David Jaffe for GoW2! Let Cory work on that new surrealistic fantasy RPG.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I dont want Cory to get burned out on making God of War games. Please take a break and return for God of War 3.

Mar 17, 2018
My GOTY so far. Can only see Spider-Man or Red Dead 2 changing that.

The winner on these three games might spread a lot of GOTY awards apart. I bet on the press picking a multiplatform game is possible, but if Spiderman is really good it could take off.

Hard to say for me. I will probably enjoy them all at nearly the same level.

Last edited:

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Glad to hear God of War has done so massively well for them. I was sceptical after seeing initial footage but took a punt on a pre-order and it far exceeded any of my expectations. It's a phenomenal game.

They had gameplay reveals of Ghost of Tsushima, Death Stranding and The Last of Us 2.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Cory does have special talent in directing video games indeed; especially in God of War series.

The sequel could use fresh blood in direction & nurturing new talents in Santa Monica Studio, while maybe he's just as Producer or something.

But I also want to see his new IP realized, and hope passes through SIE approval.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I guess it's debatable, but at the time of release, God of War looked and played like the best game Sony has ever made. I'm not saying it is, but that was the perception of it. To me it only made sense to expect unprecedented sales. This game got the perfect storm, low competition, high quality, and huge install base at the same time.
Yeah, I don't disagree in terms of everything lining up very well for the game. I just don't think it makes sense business wise to expect such a massive, historical opening.

None.

They are just talking about the reveals for the big 4.

Oct 31, 2017

Reveal is kind of a strange term; I think they're talking about the gameplay reveal of their first party games and the feedback to the games, social media traction, Youtube traction, etc.

I was also a bit skeptical about the gameplay when it was first revealed, but it ended up being my favorite God of War game and one of the best of the generation. I replayed it before NG+ ever became a thing and will likely play a third time when NG+ comes out.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
Perhaps, but surely Sony would have known that this game was much better than an 8/10. There are games much much worse than God of War that score within 10 points of where it ended up on metacritic. Plus 2017 has been a slow year for AAA releases. God of War kind of sucked up all the air in the room for two months.

I have a feeling that preorders were not that promising and thus their internal guidance was lower. Eventually the game came out and it went viral. During the launch week there were hundreds of streams and youtube videos talking about it and it held pretty well on twitch as well which is pretty rare for a strictly single player title. I also feel like it has very good legs.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I was also a bit skeptical about the gameplay when it was first revealed, but it ended up being my favorite God of War game and one of the best of the generation. I replayed it before NG+ ever became a thing and will likely play a third time when NG+ comes out.

Yup, I had virtually no interest in previous God of War games but adored God of War 2018. Just ended up blowing me away. I almost went for the Platinum but decided to hold off and dive back in if there's any Frozen Wilds style expansion rather than burning myself out.