• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Open spoilers!? There will be children born today that haven't played God of War and we are just throwing out spoilers willy nilly? /s

I can't wait to watch when I get home.

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
dang this is 2 hours! unexpected but I love the game I must watch this. I'll find the time.

i hope they get a 4K/60 patch ready for PS5 so i can replay before the sequel to ready my body

H3llR8iser

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The kid who portraits Atreus is fantastic...you can see he's having a lot of fun and have great chemistry with Chris Judge....

Natels

Oct 26, 2017
This was amazing. I don't know why E3 reactions always make me tear up a little. I'm such a nerd.

Incredible team and incredible game.

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
This was amazing. I don't know why E3 reactions always make me tear up a little. I'm such a nerd.

i'm assuming it's the clip where kratos is revealed and the crowd goes nuts? i go back and watch that part on the official e3 stream occasionally. the rush fees great

Ciphyde

Nov 22, 2017
Good lord...you can just tell that dude not only works out but eats right as well. I mean just how defined his muscles are. And he's also 54, which he does not look at all. I would say mid 40s, so dude is doing good for himself. That tear he shed during his mocap performance was just....wow.
works out, eats well, and takes a lot
of multi, as in you know what hihi

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Okay that was fantastic - I'd happily have watched twice that much, it felt like so much was only touching the surface of what went on because of how much was needed to cover. The Santa Monica team should be damn proud.

And damn I never really knew Chris Judge outside of the fact he was in Stargate (which I never watched) but he seems like such an awesome dude. The whole cast do tbf, they did well there.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
Wow that was so good, shu was not happy at first but they turned it into something amazing, kudos to them.

photogazuk

Banned
Dec 11, 2018
This documentary was really hard to watch for me. None of the staff looked happy, even the studio head had sacrificed her life, her family and children's life for this. Well done for Sony not glossing over the hard truths of game development but this was really sad.

Last edited:

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
That was pretty good and I still get a weird chill from the original trailer. Not so much for the reveal itself as I was never a fan of God of War prior to the 2018 game but the reactions...even though they were cringy at times are quite moving in their own way.

BUT there was a lot in that doc that made me feel really uncomfortable, in particular when they started to talk about the amount of "extra time" employees put into working there. just...blergh to that.

Oct 26, 2017
Started rewatching it again when I got home with my full attention. It's so good that I ended up rewatching the whole thing. They really did find the perfect Kratos with Chris.

Also my eyes started welling up again during the ending credits lol. Seeing all of their work pay off in the end made me so happy.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
Oh man. I'm gonna dive right into this while playing ESO. Make sure you like it if its any good!

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
MDSVeritas

I wish all the people from ssm knew how we appreciate all that you have done for this game, franchise and your fans. Sacrifacing way too much, but (i hope) gaining more.

We all wish you wont have to be crunching anymore, however, thats probably not happening. I cried a bit and just realized that i will never give a lower score to any game because of bugs and technical problems that will be patched along the way.

So sad for everything you had to gone through, same as many people from this industry. Shame we all cant just patiently wait for these experiences that change our lives in that or another way. I certainly wont forget the impact this game still has on me. I am looking forward for gow 2 more then tlou 2 and I am over the top hardcore fan of tlou.

You guys keep yourselves happy. Everyone in here hopes that Sony will give you as much time as you need, and not just you. Be it every other studio they work with.

Be incredibly proud of what you made for us. Looking forward to being speechless and stunned by jormungandr sound design (hopefully) not so soon.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
The GoW documentary was phenomenal to say the least. I really want to give everyone a hug, that was quite emotional. A reminder that everyone despite very different backgrounds has their cross to bear.

Corey is a creative genius though he and the others really have to take care of their mental health since game development can be so emotionally exhausting. Christopher Judge, Sunny, Yumi and Shannon put some crazy work into this game.

It was a gigantic effort to modernize GoW and making it more popular than ever, so yeah every single person on this project should be very proud of themselves.

This was also the first time we saw gameplay footage for the Internal 7 project, right?

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
This actually kinda made me hate E3 a bit. Just think of all the studios losing a month+ of work, and probably crunching the whole time, to make a short demo for people to watch. I hope that the digital events that Sony and Nintendo do are a little less stressful.

UnsungVagrant

Dec 11, 2017
This was awesome! I loved watching the different dev's takes and I especially liked the parts with Bear McCreary. His thing about raising his arms for the Kratos unveil while conducting was cool to hear.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Watched it and... man was it good. I got teary eyed twice when Christopher Judge told his stories, or when Shannon didn't want to tell her story in that interview but you could see she was trying to hold her tears back. A really beautiful documentary. Well done Santa Monica Studio.

It once again shows how much blood sweat and tears go into these big AAA games. And when you see how much hate you can sometimes see on social media or even in the media... you kinda feel bad. Like really bad. For the people who are working on the game and for the whole studio. To use a recent example, just look how much unwarranted hate and troll comments games like Days Gone received in the last ~1 1/2 years. Especially on this forum here. It's crazy actually.

I'm really proud of SSM. They did an amazing job and they really deserve the Game of the Year 2018 award. God of War is a masterpiece and my game of the generation :)
well said...

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
Phenomenal piece of work, and my GOTY 2018. Can't say more than what's been said here already. Been a fan since 2005, and I'm so happy Cory was able to revitalize this franchise with that amazing team with him.

Was hoping for just a small tease for what's next though!

Oh, and no Jeremy Davies? Wanted to see some of him here.

DeathyG

Oct 27, 2017
NW Indiana
That was an incredible watch. Those two hours really flew by.

Really can't thank or praise SSM enough for this game. The team made their mark on the world, that's for sure.

YawZah

Oct 30, 2017
The GoW documentary was phenomenal to say the least. I really want to give everyone a hug, that was quite emotional. A reminder that everyone despite very different backgrounds has their cross to bear.

Corey is a creative genius though he and the others really have to take care of their mental health since game development can be so emotionally exhausting. Christopher Judge, Sunny, Yumi and Shannon put some crazy work into this game.

It was a gigantic effort to modernize GoW and making it more popular than ever, so yeah every single person on this project should be very proud of themselves.

This was also the first time we saw gameplay footage for the Internal 7 project, right?
Where is Cory going to sit?

I rewatched a few bits of it, and it definitely feels very professionally done, probably the best game doc ever made. Hopefully we'll others of similar quality in the future!

Zedelima

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Incredible watch!

Its amazing to see what they created, and how difficult it was to rebuild a franchise

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Hardly felt those 2 hours. Heartfelt documentary that really highlights the whole process we rarely get to see, especially the simple yet often forgotten fact that there are plenty of humans behind these projects who don't usually get the credit they deserve, more so in an age where people take things for granted and keep asking for updates left and right as if they came from machines and machines alone. Oh man, I'm so damn glad this ended up working out for everyone involved, including God of War fans themselves, because this is a win for all of us who loves this IP. Can't wait to see what the next title will bring and I do hope Sony keep this up for more titles, it's great insight and a great way to give some spotlight to those who deserve it. GoW along with Bloodborne are my games of the generation for sure.

Jun 17, 2018

nah dude, its normal. i always tear up during those kinda clips and i teared up again when they showed cory checking out the score/reviews, i even have that clip bookmarked and watch it once in a while.

its empathy, its putting yourself in someone elses shoes.

another great moment that i always missed was the composers/conductors live reaction during the kratos reveal!

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
100% going to give this a watch Sunday on my day off.

GoW was amazing. The last GoW I played was Ghost of Sparta on the PSP and the beta for Ascension, and while I enjoyed the former, the latter was just so boring to me.

But then this came out and knocked it out of the park. It was one of the first games in a while where I just had to admire at the writing and gameplay.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
About a quarter way through. Loving it.

Cool to see some concept art of the other Norse gods, and some vision , concept art of that cancelled sci fi project

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
I'm only halfway through but it's a reveting watch.

Just incredible how many people have to work together.

MeBecomingI

Oct 27, 2017
I think the industry needs more documentaries like this. I really hope Sony continues to make these things because it gives people an incredibly candid insight into the development process from beginning to end including the highs and lows. I do appreciate that they didn't gloss over the crunch period and the sacrifices people in the business have to make to get the game into our hands. That bit with Shannon where she couldn't bring herself to answer the question about the sacrifices they make just killed me but to see her reaction and relief (those high fives with Cory) after the reviews came in and the game was out was such an incredible moment.

Incredible work to everyone at SSM.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
I watched the whole documentary and really enjoyed it! I could simply hear Cory Barlog speak forever! It's also excellent to hear from the lesser known figures in Santa Monica that helped make God of War an amazing title.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
Finished now.

Everyone who plays video games needs to watch this. So many talented people create amazing games for us and this is a little window into their world, the issues they face during development, and the sacrifices they make because they believe in something.

The most time I've dedicated to a creative project is just a few months of putting together theatre shows. It's fun and daunting and high pressure and intense, but it's all worth it on opening night and seeing the audience clapping and reading the reviews the next day. I can't fathom being in it for five whole years. The look on Cory's face while reading the reviews says it all.

Thank you SSM for an amazing game, and to Sony for letting us see and know the people whose names are only in the credits.

Last edited:

Jack Scofield

Oct 27, 2017
A ton more people would watch this video if this thread's title were more straightforward. I feel like I'm lucky I decided to click this thread.

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
This really goes to show just how much straight up hard work and human dedication went into this game from everyone at SSM. Its that hard work that made the game so brilliant. The doc was educational but emotional from beginning to end.

What a wonderous game.

I hope the sequel brings them to even greater heights.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Incredible. Watched the whole thing. I hope development is easier on them for the sequel

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
Surprised how intimate the thing went, glad theres very little corporate speak in it

Good watch