• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say it's more of a celebration of tenth chances.

Because you're given ten chances throughout the game to face the same recycled troll boss.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
But the violence in God of War is more realistic than other contemporaries. Are you seriously going to sit here and pretend as though the combat in say Devil May Cry is more realistic than God of War? The main differentiating feature of God of Wars combat vs many similar titles, is the more realistic animations, sense of weight, visuals etc.
No, I'm going to tell you they're both fantasy and not realistic at all. Because they aren't.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Ignore him. He's acting like GOW 2018 is all cutscenes and QTEs, while calling the combat 'hack ans slash', which implies that he actually never played the game.
I'm playing the game for the first time now, and the combat does feel pretty hack and slash to me. I actually had to up the difficulty, since on normal, it just felt like an R1 / R2 masher.

The game's initial hurrah (boss fight versus the tattooed man) is actually half cutscenes with no player input needed, so I can see where esserius is coming from, to some extent.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No, I'm going to tell you they're both fantasy and not realistic at all. Because they aren't.

Just because neither is strictly realistic, doesn't mean one can't be described as more realistic than the other. Hell you yourself said the following with respect to added fidelity.

"God of War is not unique in that it has combat finishers. Some games have these. Very few, however, have them with anywhere near the level of... let's say, "fidelity" as God of War"

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
Just because neither is strictly realistic, doesn't mean one can't be described as more realistic than the other. Hell you yourself said the following with respect to added fidelity.

"God of War is not unique in that it has combat finishers. Some games have these. Very few, however, have them with anywhere near the level of... let's say, "fidelity" as God of War"
I did not know the exact words to use there, because my own thinking on what happens in God of War's combat has a lot to do with the infliction of violence in such an absurd and over the top manner. I can tell you that it had nothing to do with them being realistic however. I've never seen a game that, as I said previously, seems to take such glee in tearing creatures apart (regardless of whether or not Kratos does, the game certainly seems to).

Ah, I didn't know it was a binary thing. Thanks for clearing that up. Does that apply to any other adjective or is it just "realistic"?
Didn't say it was a binary thing, but thanks for putting words in my mouth!

I simply don't see the fantasy violence of God of War as any different from the fantasy violence of Doom 2016 or Devil May Cry or Bayonetta. They're all over-the-top and are focused on spectacle, promoting it as either style or substance.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Did anyone think Sony would close SSM? Big shake up in the management team, sure, but outright closure? Nay I don't think the premise of this article is valid.

Oct 27, 2017
What is the effective difference between saying he does or doesn't when he's literally ripping a creature in half, evil or no?

The dissonance is the conflict within the narrative and the play, where violence goes from being used as something he's forced to use versus something that's simply a bludgeon to drive play forward (though most brought out by Atreus's interaction with Baldur, ironically). Combat's never a choice, meaning you have no agency in violence, meaning you take no part in the interaction regarding the story (which is principally being drawn through violence).

The killing of the deer was perhaps where I saw some inklings of understanding the separation of killing for survival versus killing for the sake of killing. But nothing ever evolved in that direction, making the violence yet another nihilistic response for the game's lack of imagination towards Kratos as a character.
I don't think you get the story or Kratos.

Kratos himself tells the boy he shouldn't kill gods. Anything else is fair game as long as it doesn't lead to something similiar to what Kratos did in GOW3 or killing lower creatures that doesn't attack them first. He says this himself. I forgot the exact quote but he says to Atreus to "close his heart to their suffering".

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
I think it's acceptable to at least assume characters have some capacity for being rational actors. Especially those who are attempting to protect family members. Even if they're beings of pure emotion, they'd still attempt to protect their young and that means at least giving some thought to how that is best approached.

The response here seems to generally be, "it's God of War, stop thinking so much", and I guess from a certain mindset I understand that.
You never played the game right?

Faye's wish was for Kratos and Atreus to spread her ashes. We don't know the traditions and customs of the world they inhabit. That type of thing could be held very sacred, not giving him an option to call an audible and do it any other way. Faye forced their hand by marking the tres for her pyre that would break the protection spell of their home. They couldn't stay where they were and never found a "safe" place. There was also a hint that the mission was more urgent. Kratos is clearly less powerful than he was previously, he even said towards the end of the game that they should hurry and do this while he still had strength. It's possible he feared his strength was diminishing and at some point it would be impossible for him to do.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think you get the story or Kratos.

Kratos himself tells the boy he shouldn't kill gods. Anything else is fair game as long as it doesn't lead to something similiar to what Kratos did in GOW3 or killing lower creatures that doesn't attack them first. He says this himself. I forgot the exact quote but he says to Atreus to "close his heart to their suffering".
That's fair (didn't play GoW2 or GoW3), and I certainly think there's a way to interpret Kratos as grooming rather than protecting the boy. I just don't feel a connection with that contradiction as it's so ever-present and never really discussed at any length. It leaves me with a question of, "is this a story about the boy becoming a man (like Kratos), Kratos dealing with his past, god superpower war"? And it simply seems frayed at the ends due to being pulled in so many directions (with little resolution, given the ending).

You never played the game right?

Faye's wish was for Kratos and Atreus to spread her ashes. We don't know the traditions and customs of the world they inhabit. That type of thing could be held very sacred, not giving him an option to call an audible and do it any other way. Faye forced their hand by marking the tres for her pyre that would break the protection spell of their home. They couldn't stay where they were and never found a "safe" place. There was also a hint that the mission was more urgent. Kratos is clearly less powerful than he was previously, he even said towards the end of the game that they should hurry and do this while he still had strength. It's possible he feared his strength was diminishing and at some point it would be impossible for him to do.
And if any of these maybes became explicit I'd have less of an issue with it. They'd still be plot contrivances though. XD

shoemasta

The Wise Ones
Oct 28, 2017
Did anyone think Sony would close SSM? Big shake up in the management team, sure, but outright closure? Nay I don't think the premise of this article is valid.
SSM went through a period of turmoil, they turned that around. Does that not qualify for the premise that the article is suggesting?

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017

if they fucked up God of War, their only major IP, after already cancelling a huge ambitous IP that they worked on for 4-5 years...what else would be left to do for them? Let them try again with a new AAA IP? Would Sony greenlight that....

I don't think a immediate closure would be the consequence, but definetely a restructing of the studio, doing smaller less risky projects (maybe VR Games) and close them in a few years (similar what happened to Evolution)

Oct 27, 2017
That's fair (didn't play GoW2 or GoW3), and I certainly think there's a way to interpret Kratos as grooming rather than protecting the boy. I just don't feel a connection with that contradiction as it's so ever-present and never really discussed at any length. It leaves me with a question of, "is this a story about the boy becoming a man (like Kratos), Kratos dealing with his past, god superpower war"? And it simply seems frayed at the ends due to being pulled in so many directions (with little resolution, given the ending)
What directions are you talking about? The story is about a father and son bonding at the time of losing a loved one and with both of them teaching each other humanity and god hood. You also have the thing with the stranger which is a parallel to Kratos and his father. Not sure how that's confusing.

Kratos isn't protecting Atreus, he is going with him on an adventure like his wife wanted and teaching the boy to take care of himself when he grows up. That means making him a ruthless warrior like Kratos was but without the mistakes he did like killing his family, father and brothers along with dooming the whole Greek world because of revenge. He isn't trying to turn Atreus into someone who doesn't kill or isn't violent, he is training him to use that violence to survive because the world they live is violent and Atreus feeling pitty for lower creatures like animals or other mythological beasts doesn't work in this world. That's what the story is about.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
SSM went through a period of turmoil, they turned that around. Does that not qualify for the premise that the article is suggesting?
I dunno. It seems to me that smooth sail is the rarity for AAA development in this day and age. Big projects always fuck up a couple of times before they are set straight.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
What directions are you talking about? The story is about a father and son bonding at the time of losing a loved one and with both of them teaching each other humanity and god hood. You also have the thing with the stranger which is a parallel to Kratos and his father. Not sure how that's confusing.

Kratos isn't protecting Atreus, he is going with him on an adventure like his wife wanted and teaching the boy to take care of himself when he grows up. That means making him a ruthless warrior like Kratos was but without the mistakes he did like killing his family, father and brothers along with dooming the whole Greek world because of revenge. He isn't trying to turn Atreus into someone who doesn't kill or isn't violent, he is training him to use that violence to survive because the world they live is violent and Atreus feeling pitty for lower creatures like animals or other mythological beasts doesn't work in this world. That's what the story is about.
I don't think the violence is ever steeped in ritual or survival however (Kratos, at least historically, seems wholly uninterested in ritual). Survival is an aspect of it but that frequently gets lost as the story progresses and the story proper has much more to do with the coming of Ragnarok and the resultant changing or destruction of the world as a result of it. You have what amounts to a fetch quest in the middle of it to get a head to provide you with more info. The story is frequently not about their growth (Kratos or Atreus) as people, nearly so much as fantasy battles and end-of-world chicanery. There's also the strange thread of Atreus starting or being presented as being "weak" (I don't remember if this was ever explained) initially and yet after the first mentions of it, Atreus says he's fine and it's not brought up after that. There's a lot of threads that get established like that, and the only one that really gets tied off is Baldur's (and Freya's, to a certain degree, by proxy). Maybe those will pay off in the inevitable sequel, but the story at least doesn't provide direction to a lot of those and storytelling suffers a lot for a lack of pointing in a direction where they build up rather than fade away.

shoemasta

The Wise Ones
Oct 28, 2017
I dunno. It seems to me that smooth sail is the rarity for AAA development in this day and age. Big projects always fuck up a couple of times before they are set straight.
Yeah but this wasn't just one project for SSM, this was a couple. Ascension's critical and sales disappointment, a cancelled new IP which resulted in major layoffs.

AAA studios have been closed for less.

nel e nel

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's acceptable to at least assume characters have some capacity for being rational actors. Especially those who are attempting to protect family members. Even if they're beings of pure emotion, they'd still attempt to protect their young and that means at least giving some thought to how that is best approached.

The response here seems to generally be, "it's God of War, stop thinking so much", and I guess from a certain mindset I understand that.

It's not even just God of War, but video games in general. I enjoy deeper analysis and critical theory about games, but compared to literature and film, it's still a relatively young medium that doesn't have a wealth of more..."serious" games that warrant that deeper level of critique.

Sometimes a game's narrative is a delivery device for the actual mechanics of playing the game. Games that have deeper narrative experiences often get dismissed as walking simulators or "not really a game".

And yes, I'm well aware I'm getting into "Is it the Citizen Kane of games?" territory

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think the violence is ever steeped in ritual or survival however. Survival is an aspect of it but that frequently gets lost as the story progresses and the story proper has much more to do with the coming of Ragnarok and the resultant changing or destruction of the world as a result of it. You have what amounts to a fetch quest in the middle of it to get a head to provide you with more info. (Which is a lesson for the boy, Kratos did the samething in the older games although not to this level but it teaches the boy to use what he can to accomplish his goal, not to mention Kratos was a "fish out of the water" in the Norse world so he needed that info to find the mountain his wife wanted him to find) The story is frequently not about their growth (Kratos or Atreus) as people (but it is, everything they encounter in the world is some kind of lesson for the boy or Kratos himself, either that or bonding) , nearly so much as fantasy battles and end-of-world chicanery. (Again he is trying to teach Atreus's to become a warrior and this only helps him accomplish this, especially the optional bosses). There's also the strange thread of Atreus starting or being presented as being "weak" (I don't remember if this was ever explained) initially and yet after the first mentions of it, Atreus says he's fine and it's not brought up after that. (I assume you mean Atreus's sickness? That's explained as being the godhood and it's powers being inherited from Kratos) There's a lot of threads that get established like that, and the only one that really gets tied off is Baldur's (and Freya's, to a certain degree, by proxy). Maybe those will pay off in the inevitable sequel, but the story at least doesn't provide direction to a lot of those and storytelling suffers a lot for a lack of pointing in a direction where they build up rather than fade away.
Read the bolded.

Overall I do not see what you expected, the game was marketed as an adventure between a parent and his son and as a new beginning for the franchise. It wasn't supposed to explain everything in the world but it explained the stuff that was directly connected to Kratos and Atreus quest.

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017

it was a huge AAA Project getting canceled after years of development...thats not a simple fuck up. That was a disaster

Spider-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought this was about second chances for people like Kratos, who were shitty people but found a way to become better.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
Read the bolded.

Overall I do not see what you expected, the game was marketed as an adventure between a parent and his son and as a new beginning for the franchise. It wasn't supposed to explain everything in the world but it explained the stuff that was directly connected to Kratos and Atreus quest.
I see some of the stuff you see, but I think I see it from a different perspective. I don't see the "growth" that most do. The boy's significant change is in respect to godhood and learning about Loki, but that's also another issue. Most of the significant changes are motivated by what amounts to magic (and in some cases, the tie-offs to threads are literally magic, as in the case of Baldur). I appreciate the moments in which Atreus and Kratos share, particularly the banter in the boat or when they're climbing walls. But that's not really the thrust of the story, it's incidental to it. Which is also what makes the story difficult to relate to. I do not particularly care about the story insomuch as it impacts the world, and while we're told constantly we should, the effect it has on the characters we care about is honestly... pretty minimal? I mean, most everyone trying to kill Kratos and Atreus doesn't seem to significantly change from beginning to end, so their state regarding survival or improving their odds of getting out of the whole mess seems... pretty static? I don't feel like the world is impacting them in spite of how drastic the changes seem to be to the world (particularly when those changes are lead by them). And that seems... off.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
Stig's canceled game was supposedly like 100 million dollars down the drain. That's like making a MCU movie and then never releasing it.

Haha, you think MCU movies are only $100 million... (I'm kidding, no need to derail)

I've played it three times and tend to agree that it follows the Sony formula to a tee. I preferred the hack and slash action of the original games.

Games come out with the same camera view and now they're a formula lol

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
By extension, all FPS are forumaltic clones. That is what I learned from the logic in this thread.

Also any game with a narrative is a forumula.

Sony can't get away with this. We need to stop this trend of narratives.

/s

"Just because we have high quality facial models, use motion capture footage, and have a story about relationships and how they can fail us DOES NOT mean we were made by Playstation!" - Red Dead Redemption 2 developers say

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
Did you make this image?

bx7lgrfc2j401.jpg
Someone should change the images to

Uncharted 4: Drake swinging on his rope gunning down enemies
God of War: Kratos using is frost axe powers
The Last of Us: Joel throwing a brick to distract the clickers
Days Gone: Deacon riding his Harley
Horizon Zero Dawn: Aloy sliding aiming her crossbow towards a large mechanical T-Rex

Suddenly this meme paints a different picture. Expand original meme by adding the new Ass Creed games, RDR2, and any other games with forests in them

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
"Just because we have high quality facial models, use motion capture footage, and have a story about relationships and how they can fail us DOES NOT mean we were made by Playstation!" - Red Dead Redemption 2 developers say

Pffft see that's why RDR2 didn't win GOTY. According to some in here, it was too much of a Sony clone...

with those cinematic moments and the option of that tighter camera angle.

/s

everyer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm playing the game for the first time now, and the combat does feel pretty hack and slash to me. I actually had to up the difficulty, since on normal, it just felt like an R1 / R2 masher.

The game's initial hurrah (boss fight versus the tattooed man) is actually half cutscenes with no player input needed, so I can see where esserius is coming from, to some extent.

Check this out:

Jul 24, 2018
Well, it's nice that the author enjoyed it, gonna have to agree with a few of the people in here that I wouldn't say God of War doesn't dp things I haven't seen before from the likes of other Sony Studios etc. Didn't really care for its combat either but that's that.

everyer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
One of the older ones and the 2018 one. QTEs are very much a thing and long, cinematic plot dumps are still quite common. The combat is bog standard hack and slash, and that's kind of the problem. You cannot have a game that is trying to push a redemptive character arc while that character is constantly tearing creatures in half. Ludonarrative dissonance didn't go away, and God of War 2018 is an exemplar of not understanding what that is or means.

You never played the game, don't you?

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
There is a point to be made that SSM was just one more failure away from closure, following both the failure of Ascension and of their cancelled New IP, but GOW was as safe as safe gets in today's industry. It was yet another Uncharted clone/cookie cutter Sony moviegame.

I'd love to know where this delusion comes from. You can't be serious. These days making a single player only game isn't considered safe haha.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, but it is one, as has been said already, of Kratos not necessarily wanting to show that side of the world to his son. That includes not necessarily showing himself, which is presumably why Kratos left at the request of his mother, believing he would prove to be a violent influence on him.

It is at odds with the character wanting one thing and instead of attempting to avoid conflict to save his son, he deeply embeds his son in it. There may have been a point of no return at some point, but it certainly took time to get to that point, while also largely ignoring all the exposure Atreus has prior to it as the player-character provides it.

I don't think you played the game at all, did you? It's pretty apparent that Kratos doesn't want his son involved in any of the stuff they go through but it's a matter of necessity. He knows that Atreus is part god, and he knows that Baldur is out look for them and trying to kill them. He can't stick around in his little log cabin any more, nor can he just leave Atreus there. The point of no return is the stranger fight, they have no option but to go out into a world that's filled with things trying to kill them. Kratos knows that despite what he wants, there's no keeping Atreus out of this, he needs to take him with him and do his best to protect him while teaching him how to survive as a god in this world.