patapon

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
https://remoteplay.co.uk/2018/12/07...the-year-its-a-celebration-of-second-chances/

Last night's Video Game Awards were one of the most endearing, uplifting, and monumental moment's of any award's show in recent memory. Packed with tons of incredible moments -The Pathless debut, Joker in Smash, and Shawn, Phil, and Reggie standing shoulder to shoulder- none could measure up to the finale.

Leading up to the close, Red Dead Redemption 2, a game that is considered a technical, financial, and sales juggernaut- was considered the front runner. My twitter feed, mainstream gaming sites, and personal friends included- all were under the assumption that it had Game of the Year won just by those feats alone.

"The Winner for Game of the Year is….. God of War."

That instant something magical happened. God of War winning meant more to me than I initially ever thought about. God of War wasn't just a tale of Kratos and his son, but it was a journey that resonated on a spiritual and emotional level with me- more so than any game I can think of in recent memory.

God of War isn't just a victory for PlayStation, but it's a victory for Studio Santa Monica. Following God of War: Ascension- Sony Santa Monica was rifed with cancelled projects, multiple reboots, and rumors of closure. Irrespective of all this- Shu Yoshida, Shawn Layden, and the upper Management at PlayStation decided to give them a second chance.

A Second Chance. In an industry where studio closures, job stability, and trends shift like the winds – PlayStation decided to take the high road and give the team an opportunity to prove themselves. This could have been the greatest decision ever made.

God of War is greatness.

What Sony Santa Monica went onto produce is one of the greatest games of all time. A game that proves Metacritic scores, rumorous pessimism, and prior failures aren't what define you or your success. They produced a game considered a landmark achievement in cinematic scope, artistic flourish, and character development. But more so than anything else- they believed in art and the people behind it. That's something truly magical.

Last edited:

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And this is why I really love Sony, despite their recent missteps. I'm glad they believed in Santa Monica enough to give them another chance because it lead to the studio creating one of my favorite games this generation.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Woah, I never knew SSM went through so many troubles before developing God of War. Nice to see that they got redemption. (heh)

If only they gave Evolution studios another chance as well.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, after Ascension I was done with God of War forever, and I am a mega fan of the series.

The new one has me eager for all the sequels they can pump out.

Flash

Oct 27, 2017
This article is a little pretentious. Its just an average videogame.
giphy.gif

Prepare yourself...

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Taking the high road seems like an odd phrasing, especially if all of those reboots and etc. were just unreleased projects. Could you say the same about Overwatch in 2016 then? It won the same award and was based off that cancelled Titan project. Maybe this is somehow different but was Sony really looking to shut down SSM?

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
But Motorstorm Apocalypse was great tho?

It's not Evo's fault that they ended up launching the game right in the middle of the PSN outage.

1. Poor sales and a 77 metacritic for an expensive project, not good for a AAA studio.

2. The game wasn't affected by the PSN outage, the only things you could say affected it was the Tohoku earthquake and tsunami in 2011 and the New Zealand 6.3 magnitude earthquake which meant they pulled its release in those regions. It still sold poorly elsewhere.

So then they had to bounce back with Driveclub, and the rest is history.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
1. Poor sales and a 77 metacritic for an expensive project, not good for a AAA studio.

2. The game wasn't affected by the PSN outage, the only things you could say affected it was the Tohoku earthquake and tsunami in 2011 and the New Zealand 6.3 magnitude earthquake which meant they pulled its release in those regions. It still sold poorly elsewhere.

So then they had to bounce back with Driveclub, and the rest is history.
1) Detroit Become Human got 78 meta, so it that a dud too now? Anything 75+ is a solid score, as defined by metacritic itself.

2) Not their fault in any way.

Yes the sales were low, but in no way was the game a dud. Evo got axed after just one misstep.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
God of War wasn't my GOTY (Celeste was) but it absolutely deserves to win such an award, it's a fantastic game despite its flaws.

Oct 25, 2017
1) Detroit Become Human got 78 meta, so it that a dud too now? Anything 75+ is a solid score, as defined by metacritic itself.

2) Not their fault in any way.

Yes the sales were low, but in no way was the game a dud. Evo got axed after just one misstep.

Look at what they went on to produce next and tell me Sony didn't make the right decision.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
This article is a little pretentious. Its just an average videogame.

edit: Nevermind. I thought this was something written by Cory, but it wasn't. To that extent, I agree, it was a little over the top and just comes off as a huge fanboy expressing their glee.

Anyway, it wasn't my game of the year, but of the nominees, I'm glad it won over the others.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
If only they gave Evolution studios another chance as well.
Nah, Evolution had a lot of chances to improve with the Motorstorm franchise and they didn't. Driveclub's delay/launch didn't do them any favors. Sony probably gave them one last chance to bring it back around with DC and they did with the patches and great DLCs but at that point I think fans just moved on and the sales weren't enough to convince Sony.

If there's one studio that needed a second chance, it was Cambridge. Sony should have give them the Killzone franchise after Mercenary.

Anyways, I wonder if Sony wants another franchise to be given the GOW treatment? I could totally see Uncharted or Killzone getting one for next gen. Hell I still think there's a bit hope to save The Order.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Nah, Evolution had a lot of chances to improve with the Motorstorm franchise and they didn't. Driveclub's delay/launch didn't do them any favors. Sony probably gave them one last chance to bring it back around with DC and they did with the patches and great DLCs but at that point I think fans just moved on and the sales weren't enough to convince Sony.

If there's one studio that needed a second chance, it was Cambridge. Sony should have give them the Killzone franchise after Mercenary.

Anyways, I wonder if Sony wants another franchise to be given the GOW treatment? I could totally see Uncharted or Killzone getting one for next gen. Hell I still think there's a bit hope to save The Order.
Uhh...what? Pacific Rift and Apocalypse were both great games, and improved upon the first game. My point remains.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
The credit goes to Cory and his team as much as Sony, probably more. Remember Sony did not want to make another GoW game and Cory had to convince them with presentations that it could work.

Also if Evolution was given another chance Onrush would've been a first party game, and see how that would've turned out.

Oct 26, 2017
I have a couple of qualms with the new GoW, it feels a bit too long and the lack of boss fights is a let-down. But those are problems easily fixed in the next game, the foundation for this reboot is extremely solid. So well deserved GoW, I look forward to where the franchise goes next.

EinBear

Oct 27, 2017
God of War is probably the best game I've played this generation, and is thoroughly deserving of all it's awards.

But these attempts to spin it as some sort of underdog story are just bizarre. It's a huge AAA release, made by a proven team and using a hugely successful IP. It wasn't made by two people who quit their jobs to work in a garage or anything.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Really to me, is this a second chance as such though?
Loved all the GoWs, even ascension for its campaign (but the focus on MP I think lowered the campaigns quality/content). I dont think the past GoW gameplay has been bad or anything approaching it.
I would have been tremendously sad if Ascensions performance was took as a sign no one wanted GoW anymore.

That said, I think GoW 2018 is my personal GOTY this year and I think I can say I feel its better than past GoWs on multiple levels, but I wouldn't say a second chance like they failed before, but I'd say it's an reinvigoration of the series.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't know they were close to ne shut down. There were never any rumors about that that I am aware of. I only knew about the cancelt "Destiny"-like game which looked amazing. Too bad we never got that. But God of War truly is the game of the generation.

Oct 29, 2017
There is a point to be made that SSM was just one more failure away from closure, following both the failure of Ascension and of their cancelled New IP, but GOW was as safe as safe gets in today's industry. It was yet another Uncharted clone/cookie cutter Sony moviegame.

The Pharmercy

Oct 26, 2017
There is a point to be made that SSM was just one more failure away from closure, following both the failure of Ascension and of their cancelled New IP, but GOW was as safe as safe gets in today's industry. It was yet another Uncharted clone/cookie cutter Sony moviegame.

Hmmm someone didn't play it. Or doesn't see how it's basically a reboot done as well as it possibly could and considering how the series has been about more arcadey epic space battles is almost a genre change and thus a very risky business proposition.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017