• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

tazmin

Oct 30, 2017
In July, Retro Studios added a longtime staffer from Sony Santa Monica. Jon Marcella, who worked on the most recent God of War games, is now with the Metroid Prime 4 developer as an environment designer.

Marcella was a designer on God of War: Ascension having been involved with elements such as game collision. Then for God of War on PlayStation 4, he was a senior game designer (level designer), and was involved with layouts, AI scripting, navigation sequences, fight spaces, puzzles design, and more. On the whole, Marcella spent over seven years with Sony Santa Monica.

Nintendo Everything

Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't super fond of the PS4 God of War game, but this guy seems like he was in charge of the stuff that I actually did like about the game, so this sounds like a pretty good get.

DubleDuce

Jan 15, 2018
For those who have a better idea of how this stuff works, does hiring this guy tell us roughly about where production currently is for Prime 4? Are we still years out?

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Nice, Metroid Prime 4's title screen is complete, now they can begin work on the environments.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
Great to hear Metroid Prime 4 is still a thing! Still wondering if it releases on Switch or its successor.

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
They acquired a lot of talent, as evidenced by the 3 million "Retro hires person" thread and I really hope it all comes together.

Just launch this thing on the Switch Pro or whatever so it can get the visuals it deserves.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
While interesting to hear this kind of transition happens all the time in the industry, and every other industry for that matter. I could see this being interesting news if Barlog himself went to Metro to do some serious work. That and I wasn't big on the level design of God of War outside of a couple parts. Lots of really simple arenas.

Jan 11, 2018
MP4 next year?

Maybe?

Maybe not.

Very, very slim chance.

For those who have a better idea of how this stuff works, does hiring this guy tell us roughly about where production currently is for Prime 4? Are we still years out?

It tells us absolutely nothing in regards to that.

While interesting to hear this kind of transition happens all the time in the industry, and every other industry for that matter. I could see this being interesting news if Barlog himself went to Metro to do some serious work. That and I wasn't big on the level design of God of War outside of a couple parts. Lots of really simple arenas.

I thought the level design was pretty good, but the older GOW games were much stronger in that regard.

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Damn, that's great. Exploring the overworld in GoW 2018 felt pretty Metroid-esque at times imo.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Honestly let them take their time. Samus needs a proper comeback and Return was a safe but quiet start.

E-GDP_Metroid-Prime-Federation-Force_desktop.jpg

SI_Wii_MetroidOtherM_image1600w.jpg

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
excellent, a lot of the structure of GoW and the way the lore was handled gave me metroid prime vibes. Retro's been nabbing a lot of good talent for prime 4.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I always find these "articles" over trivial industry moves so unnerving and weird. If it's a major director or producer, sure, but I'd feel super weirded out if I read a gaming news article about my LinkedIn.

ERA eats this stuff right up though :p

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
there were puzzles in god of war 2018? has it been that long that i've forgotten? i hope the ps5 version lets me play in 4k

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the level design was pretty good, but the older GOW games were much stronger in that regard.

Some parts were really well done like the lake area. Other parts were incredibly repetitive and uninteresting and ultimately were just straight forward paths with a lot of arena fights along the way.

I always find these "articles" over trivial industry moves so unnerving and weird. If it's a major director or producer, sure, but I'd feel super weirded out if I read a gaming news article about my LinkedIn.

Yeah it gets a bit silly and reeks a tiny bit of console warring/fanboyism.

Jan 11, 2018

A bunch of people will make youtube videos over every single hire a studio makes, and dissect their entire body of work and what it might mean for the upcoming game. It is pretty creepy.

there were puzzles in god of war 2018? has it been that long that i've forgotten? i hope the ps5 version lets me play in 4k

There was a metric crapton of puzzles if you bothered to explore at all.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
I think the interesting thing is that he left Santa Monica mid development of God of War Ragnarok

But that's a nice get. I think Retro is building up a great team that'll shape them up well for not only MP4 but for future projects from the studio as well. Maybe Retro will become the powerhouse dev they were back in the 2000s again

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I think the interesting thing is that he left Santa Monica mid development of God of War Ragnarok

But that's a nice get. I think Retro is building up a great team that'll shape them up well for not only MP4 but for future projects from the studio as well. Maybe Retro will become the powerhouse dev they were back in the 2000s again

This happens all the time, its not that interesting. You've got people moving from one studio to another all the damn time.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
Color me excited, he's had one fine career thus far. Let's hope for some news in the coming months/early next year?

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I thought retro had been working on this for 2 years now? Why are these type of people just now being hired, makes it seem like retro themselves have restarted development multiple times

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I thought retro had been working on this for 2 years now? Why are these type of people just now being hired, makes it seem like retro themselves have restarted development multiple times
Teams hire mid-development all the time. Big productions rarely start and end with the exact same people on them.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I LOVED the environments and art direction in GOW PS4 so this is really exciting! MP4 is going to be incredible.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
This happens all the time, its not that interesting. You've got people moving from one studio to another all the damn time.
Of course, I know. But I wonder what caused him to decide to shift his life like that after working with a studio for a decade and in peak development of their next game. Maybe he is just really excited at the prospect of making Metroid Prime 4 the best it can be

HeyNay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
I hope they switch things up a bit and offer something new this time. I love Metroid, and the atmospheric setting, but I keep thinking about how much has changed in the gaming landscape since the last Prime title. I almost wish they'd drop the number from the title, or even the Prime title itself, and hit us with something completely reenvisioned. Either way, I've been dreaming of a new Metroid game for so long I'm gonna be excited no matter what we get.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Unless Retro where hiring like crazy, I wouldn't read too much into it. Studios hire all the time, not just around development milestones or before pre-production.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Unless Retro where hiring like crazy, I wouldn't read too much into it. Studios hire all the time, not just around development milestones or before pre-production.
Yea I get that but if the environments were like 70% done before this person was hired is he going to go back and redo all of them or just finish the last 30% for example

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty full circle considering GoW had some Metroid lite elements in its level design. This is a great get

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Yea I get that but if the environments were like 70% done before this person was hired is he going to go back and redo all of them or just finish the last 30% for example
Likely just help finish/learn the ropes at the studio. If they hired him as a lead it could possibly mean they are redoing a lot, but even that could be a hiring for something not MP4 as far as we'd know.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
Of course, I know. But I wonder what caused him to decide to shift his life like that after working with a studio for a decade and in peak development of their next game. Maybe he is just really excited at the prospect of making Metroid Prime 4 the best it can be
To be blunt, it's not anyone's damn business why someone leaves for a different studio. There can be dozens of reasons why someone might want to leave their current position, and many of them have nothing to do with the games.