chiller

Apr 23, 2021
optical media is witchcraft but it still makes more sense in the abstract to me than vinyl records and cassette tapes

you run a needle over some grooves and led zeppelin comes out? what the hell is that?

This is simplified and might be a tad wrong (it's been a little bit), but:

All sound you hear is waves transferred by vibrating air molecules. Your ear receives these waves from the air and converts them into electrical signals that go to your auditory cortex.
These sound waves will differ in shape depending on different qualities of the sound, like pitch or loudness.
The groove on a record is cut by vibrating a lathe according to the wave you want to be reproduced. When you play it back on a turntable, the needle will vibrate based on how the groove is cut and will reproduce the wave as the needle passes through. By amplifying the needle as it vibrates, you can put it through speakers, which also vibrate to push air molecules around for your ears to pick up. That's how you get Led Zeppelin! Or whatever else you're listening to! This whole thing is still bonkers!

I've never understood this either. My perception has always been that you could theoretically accidentally create brilliant songs that won't even be written for another thousand years by… randomly carving a set of grooves that happen to be in the right order? Like, if Led Zeppelin never existed all of their music could still come to fruition exactly as-is because vinyls aren't actually recordings, but just exact copy replicas that perfectly mimic the songs based on how a needle scratches through some indents? And those indents could perfectly match the sound of Robert Plant's voice even if Robert Plant had never been born? Makes no damn sense whatsoever

I have just the 1941 Argentinian philosophical short story for you.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
everytime you type into the google search it is sending that bit of text with each key and calculating for possible autocomplete results and sending them back to you in mere milliseconds