• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Since i don't know much about this person, i want to ask this. I see a lot of people shitting on him here yet recently i have seen him in many lefties Twitter and YouTube channels doing interviews and chatting with them! So what's the deal here?
A lot of people on the left got pulled into supporting him/reading him when he took strong anti-imperial stances against the Obama administration on things like drone strikes and Edward Snowden, and some people are saying that he's "revealing" himself to be more of a shithead now, but honestly? His first legal case he defended back in the 2000s was the defense of a white supremacist. He's always been a "libertarian" which, in turn, has always meant that he's actually a reactionary because that's what all American libertarians are

rafox

Apr 28, 2020
Yes, Glenn, nowadays people have more ways of identifiyng oneself and are also encouraged to do it instead of hiding it. DUH

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
As a human being I think Glenn should fuck off forever. As a pansexual trans woman I think Glenn should fuck off forever and be ridiculed until he does so.

Ethical Hedonism

Permanent ban for creating alt account to troll.
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dude literally defended nazi's right to self expression but identifying as bi is too much for him now
Ok hun go drink some caipirinhas and chill the f off

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
I think he just meant that bi people feel more comfortable being in opposite sex relationships, and that's probably a symptom of how society treats LGBTQ people, at least that's how I read it. But he should definitely have been more specific, because it can be interpreted as bi people doing something wrong.

As for the tweet about trans people, I have no idea what he's on to. Sounds idiotic whatever it is.

Sometimes I wonder if David Miranda (his husband, who is a congressman and LGBTQ ativist in Brazil) has knowledge of some of the stuff he says.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
I kinda wonder if this is just going to be a thing going forward now that it's culturally accepted you can't be overtly hateful and violent to gay folks, so just make sure you couch it with a thin veneer of plausible deniability and jokes that "you don't mean that way."

You can't openly use slurs towards gay people anymore, but society's starting to twig onto the idea that there's more than just them, so now they've got a new target. Gay people are fine, some of my best friends are gay, but ugh why do they have make up all these labels when they should just say they're gay.

Anyway I don't know who this guy is but he sounds like a clown, and not even a famous enough clown to know him by name for saying stupid bullshit.

The worst thing is connecting gay and lesbians to pedophiles. In Greece currently there is such a case and I've seen that argument re-emerge.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
Fuck you Glenn Greenwald. First, queer people are more likely to be a-monogamous, It's such a sad hetero thing to assume if I'm dating a woman I can't POSSIBLY also have sex with men or the other way around. That's not to imply bi people who are monogamous or who never has sex with the same gender, are any less bi, of course.

The worst thing is connecting gay and lesbians to pedophiles. In Greece currently there is such a case and I've seen that argument re-emerge.
That's kinda ironic, considering the history.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017

What a fucking brain genius over here.

I feel like its more that this generation feels safer coming out of the closet.

No shit the numbers are rising. LGBT people have always been here but they were terrified. The further back you go, the higher your chances are that being outed would ruin your life or be a death sentence.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like its more that this generation feels safer coming out of the closet.

No shit the numbers are rising. LGBT people have always been here but they were terrified. The further back you go, the higher your chances are that being outed would ruin your life or be a death sentence.

It goes beyond that too. The combination of representation and the discussions about sexual and gender identities have to play a major part. I was born in 1985 and didn't realize I was bisexual until I was over 20. I didn't even start to think that I might be bisexual until I saw the word being used a bunch, and started to see queer representation in some media. I have no doubt I would have discovered it earlier had I had that experience earlier.

We're not only making it safer for queer people to come out, but we're providing them the space to realize they're queer in the first place.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
My partner (a woman) and I are both bisexual. Fuck this guy and his bi-erasure bullshit. I don't even want to know what he thinks about non-binary folks.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
My partner (a woman) and I are both bisexual. Fuck this guy and his bi-erasure bullshit. I don't even want to know what he thinks about non-binary folks.
Probably the same thing he does about Bi people.

In fact, I suspect the reason the trans number has gone up is because of the greater understanding behind gender fluidity and non-binary.

Deleted member 19844

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
He's pulling the "I'm just asking questions" card which is the issue. He doesn't have to be mad or even really have a genuine conclusion.

As a lot of people have mentioned, the idea of bi-erasure is one that is older than even Glenn. It's the wrongheaded idea that exists both in straight & queer communities that people who say they are bi/pan are either not brave enough to say they're gay, use that status as some sort of excuse to play the field or justify cheating/the idea that bi/pan people are inherently going to be unfaithful, or that being bi/pan is just a phase or something said to be trendy or attention seeking.

With this context, Glenn gets to put forwards the research about so many bi people ultimately ending up in long term opposite sex relationships and leaves it to hang. He doesn't make a point but wants his audience to make the point in their own heads so he gets off Scott free. It's something that he just advocates should be "investigated" more despite not coming clean on why he thinks that specific information in the study is somehow important and what exactly does he think it reveals about bi/pan people that is so interesting.
That makes sense! I appreciate you taking the time to explain - these aren't dynamics I'm familiar with, so your post was
He's pulling the "I'm just asking questions" card which is the issue. He doesn't have to be mad or even really have a genuine conclusion.

As a lot of people have mentioned, the idea of bi-erasure is one that is older than even Glenn. It's the wrongheaded idea that exists both in straight & queer communities that people who say they are bi/pan are either not brave enough to say they're gay, use that status as some sort of excuse to play the field or justify cheating/the idea that bi/pan people are inherently going to be unfaithful, or that being bi/pan is just a phase or something said to be trendy or attention seeking.

With this context, Glenn gets to put forwards the research about so many bi people ultimately ending up in long term opposite sex relationships and leaves it to hang. He doesn't make a point but wants his audience to make the point in their own heads so he gets off Scott free. It's something that he just advocates should be "investigated" more despite not coming clean on why he thinks that specific information in the study is somehow important and what exactly does he think it reveals about bi/pan people that is so interesting.
I forgot to respond yesterday - thanks for taking the time to explain. This makes a lot of sense!