• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
You laugh at El Salvadorians then. You laugh at people who seek investing in crypto as means to climb the financial ladder. There is a giant systemic opression of people for whom it's difficult to climb out of poverty. Cryptocurrency markets are manipulated as fuck, but there are also people in it who wanted to improve their quality of life with it. Thinking everyone who invested in crypto is a cryptobro deserving of the market crash is not a smart take.
anyone who is still into crypto is an idiot. they've been warned again and again.

Jun 10, 2018
Cryptobros using El Salvadorians and other victims of this obvious scam as meat shields for their shitty "investment" vehicle is par the course in terms of argumentative tactics.

Virtually trying to pass off "but they're already getting scammed, so let the scam continue!" as a legitimate defense for this shit.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I'm saying that the motivation for the investment for a lot of people was hope for a better future.
Imagine calling it an investment when there's literally eff all invest in. It's parking money in the hopes of being able to pull out more in future at the expense of others who didn't time it as well as you hope to. Save that hopes and dreams bullshit, it's as disingenuous as it is transparent. Greed is the motivator.

Yep, this is the bottom line.
This is the other bottom line.
That's 2 bottom lines! My favourite is the 3rd bottom line - the one BTC crashes through and all this shit finally implodes in on itself.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's bizarre to see so much glee here for this crash. You're laughing at the expense of people.

The glee is because it's hopefully ending. It's a scam that should have never gotten as big as it is and was helping destroy the environment for no damn reason. Hopefully the victims land on their feet, but they were duped, this was always going to be how it ended. The only question was when it would happen.

Jisgsaw

Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately the media only focus on bad news/scams
So 90% of the crypto space?
The other thing the media focused on (and I'd argue much more than on the scams) was the meteoric rise of BTC value, which fueled the bubble, brought more private investors and lead to the absurd rise in price.
It's bizarre to see so much glee here for this crash. You're laughing at the expense of people.
As seen in the sad topic of the person who lost a lot in this crash, people aren't laughing at everyday investors losing money. They're just pointing out that what they have been saying for years happened: crypto is literally make believe money, with no intrinsic value or problem it solves, only propped up by the belief it's going up. Of course, as soon as liquidity in the real world becomes scarce because of recession and rising interest rates, there's less gambling money, and the illusion shatters.

War95

Banned
Feb 17, 2021
Cryptobros using El Salvadorians and other victims of this obvious scam as meat shields for their shitty "investment" vehicle is par the course in terms of argumentative tactics.

Virtually trying to pass off "but they're already getting scammed, so let the scam continue!" as a legitimate defense for this shit.
Cryptobros using El Salvador when the salvadorians should [REDACTED] Bukele is one of the things that never will stop to amuse me

Nobility

Oct 25, 2017
Just woke up.

I expect a lot of fear/panic when people wake up on the east coast.

Wonder how the markets do on Monday.

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
I guess even crypto exchanges buying BTC with their own fake coin they kept inventing more of lately wasn't enough to keep it over 20k.
Now they get to exit the game with all the BTC which still hold some value while everyone else got stuck with something that will be worth as much as LUNA.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
It's legitimately funny to read this thread, and then the OT where people still try to dupe others into buying like "Think about what you would have done last year. Would you have loved to be able to buy BTC or ETH at those prices? I imagine so."

Yeah yeah different people in this forum, I know, but sometimes we're worse than any subreddit :D

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Let's not forget that the scam that is Crypto is also a collossal waste of resources and actively contributes to the planet becoming a worse place to live.

And that affects everyone, not just those that have bought into the scam. All the hate towards Crypto is entirely warranted. In fact, there is not yet nearly enough outrage about how damaging this useless ponzi scheme is.

Nov 8, 2017
anyone surprised by this crash doesn't have realistic expectations of btc cycle.
Each cycle it dropped atleast 80% from ath.
Last btc cycle we went -85% from all time high. That would correspond with roughly 10300$ pricepoint.
Expect further downward movement in coming year

cyress8

Avenger
People being all gleeful about this should be sad it is happening. If crypto fully crashes, we will never see ethereum finally move to proof of stake, all the shit coins showing their real-world utility, or more gibberish being created to push the scam.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
I'm saying that the motivation for the investment for a lot of people was hope for a better future. I'm not arguing wether crypto was the right vessel for that. Those people are also part of the group who are hurt by the current markets.

When people say "It's a big scam", those are the people that are being scammed. They're getting "hurt by the current markets" which leaves them vulnerable to being scammed.

It's nearly always people who really can't afford to lose that want to believe in this stuff enough that fall for it.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
When people say "It's a big scam", those are the people that are being scammed. They're getting "hurt by the current markets" which leaves them vulnerable to being scammed.

It's nearly always people who really can't afford to lose that want to believe in this stuff enough that fall for it.
Wrong.

Edit: Not sure if have misread that post

Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
Ok, here it is how is it. There are three types of cryptobros:
  • Swindlers and con-men that know the whole thing is built on a pit of sand but will keep dancing until the whole thing breaks.
  • Libertarians that believe that financial regulations and government oversight are a conspiracy by the ((((((world's elite)))))).
  • Cult members similar that what you find in traditional pyramidal and MLM schemes.
Now, there are other crypto users that are not cryptobros since they don't usually promote the concept to such extreme levels:
  • Money launderers and tax evaders.
  • Russian oligarchs and their equivalent in other countries.
  • Drug traffickers and other black market dealers.
  • Uneducated people that don't know what unregulated risk investments entails.
  • Regular people that dip their toes with gambling money to see if they can make a quick buck.
Out of those, only the black market dealers, tax evaders and oligarchs use it as an actual currency.

Did I got it right?

Nailed it.

Mopr3me

Banned
Jan 10, 2022

Why are you putting words in my mouth? You can want the crypto market to die, be better regulated, be less volatile/ have all kinds of wishes for it. The only thing I said whas that I found the glee with which the market crash is received here to be bizarre and I still do.

Thanks to the couple of users who explained their concerns, which I understand.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I phrased that rather poorly. How about, every pyramid scheme needs a bottom layer and they tend to be the people who can afford it the least?

Edit: actually that's not great either.
Yeah, true. But because they can't afford the losses these are the people who hope the most that it isn't all a scam (or if it is, that they can at least ride the wave long enough to become rich).

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Damn glad i cashed out months ago, this drop is brutal. At least some already very wealthy people are making bank shorting it.
Might invest again when it quiets down.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Feel free to direct your moral ire at the people who got others on board this environmentally ruinous bullshit and propped themselves up at the expense of others, because that's the only way this shit works. Until it doesn't.

I'd also like to dedicate this post to all the variations of "lol stay mad"/"lol stay poor" garage capitalists we've seen on this forum for years.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Is that actual music or is it generated from the transactions? The latter I presume. It's pretty epic.

fallingedge

Oct 25, 2017
Damn glad i cashed out months ago, this drop is brutal. At least some already very wealthy people are making bank shorting it.
Might invest again when it quiets down.

Gonna be real interesting to see what happens in a potential recession environment. No clue when the bottom is. Gonna stick with stocks for now. Maybe dip my toes back in crypto when we got stability.

Jun 10, 2018
Why are you putting words in my mouth? You can want the crypto market to die, be better regulated, be less volatile/ have all kinds of wishes for it. The only thing I said whas that I found the glee with which the market crash is received here to be bizarre and I still do.

People are going to find jubilation in an inherently money siphoning "investment" class being pushed by not-so-subtle crypto evangelists meeting it's end. Your attempt at conflating the desire for crypto to end with wishing for the ruining of personal lives is an obfuscation tactic to make it seem like those who oppose crypto are also against the victims of crypto.

In fact, the immorality and unrepentant greed in the crypto space leading to said victims is WHY we want to see it end in the first place.

MTR

Oct 27, 2017
I'm watching tether, I think if it loses it's peg the dam bursts. It's just leaking at the moment.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA

I will be absolutely full of glee if crypto dies, as it will prevent many, many more people from being scammed.

Scams need to die, and yes, we should be happy when they do.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I will be absolutely full of glee if crypto dies, as it will prevent many, many more people from being scammed.

Scams need to die, and yes, we should be happy when they do.

Crypto will rise back up like a zombie after interest rates eventually fall if governments don't move to truly regulate it just as hard as other investments during this """crypto winter""". MLMs are still around because the government is fine protecting pyramid schemes with extra steps for whatever reason.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
I mean the era crypto thread *right now* has people posting saying now is the time to start buying in. It's a pyramid of scams, and there are no 'innocent' people involved apart from the families of idiots who sunk money into it. I will laugh with outrageous glee at every drop.

No-one was forced into crypto. It was the most warned about scam *in history*. There have literally been thousands of articles, warnings and posts that this was a scam that also destroyed the planet and people still piled in. So fuck every last one of them.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
I mean the era crypto thread *right now* has people posting saying now is the time to start buying in. It's a pyramid of scams, and there are no 'innocent' people involved apart from the families of idiots who sunk money into it. I will laugh with outrageous glee at every drop.

No-one was forced into crypto. It was the most warned about scam *in history*. There have literally been thousands of articles, warnings and posts that this was a scam that also destroyed the planet and people still piled in. So fuck every last one of them.
www.theonion.com

Man Who Lost Everything In Crypto Just Wishes Several Thousand More People Had Warned Him

CHICAGO—Saying he had been absolutely blindsided by the sudden change in his fortunes, local 33-year-old Tyler Branton, a man who lost everything in cryptocurrencies, told reporters Thursday that he just wished several thousand more people had warned him. “If only a thousand—or even a few...

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
You laugh at El Salvadorians then. You laugh at people who seek investing in crypto as means to climb the financial ladder. There is a giant systemic opression of people for whom it's difficult to climb out of poverty. Cryptocurrency markets are manipulated as fuck, but there are also people in it who wanted to improve their quality of life with it. Thinking everyone who invested in crypto is a cryptobro deserving of the market crash is not a smart take.

the people of el salvador are investing in crypto? i wouldn't call bukele buying every dip "el salvadorians...investing"

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Very funny a few days ago watching people say 20k was the bottom. Just keep buying! I'm sure you'll get your money back eventually and become a millionaire! Just spend spend spend, don't think, just become rich by spending! Everybody else telling you it's a bad idea is because they are jealous of how smart you are, they are morons who can't see the future like you. Get out there and spend and make your dreams come true!

Jun 10, 2018
the people of el salvador are investing in crypto? i wouldn't call bukele buying every dip "el salvadorians...investing"
That user is just using the victims of crypto as a prop to shield away the criticism.

Literally trying to make out the opponents of crypto as "the bad guys" when cryptobros are the ones who made the less fortunate their victims to begin with. Someone make sense of that circular logic for me lol.

Ont

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
There is never a bottom to a pyramid scheme, even if it is a decentralised pyramid scheme.

coolasj19

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, Texas
I strongly agree with your sentiment but cold fucked up reality will say that the time to do that vanished about half a decade ago. And after that came the infinite non-stop warning bells.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
Scammers and grifters aren't eating this loss. Normal people are.

The scammers and grifters are the ones who get ahead in Crypto unfortunately..

Those normal people *are* scammers. It's a system that only works if more and more people join. All those 'normal people' were relying on folks coming in after them. And they knew this. Whether you like it or not, every person who bought into crypto was willingly joining a pyramid scheme that relied on more people jumping in after them. And unlike normal pyramid schemes which hide what they are doing, there is *zero* excuse for not knowing what was going on. A standard google search instantly gives you articles and videos pointing this out.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
I'm begging people still in crypto, please.

For your own well being, jump out now.

I know you're determined to see it through, I know you're convinced this is just another cycle and it'll rise again, and now's the "perfect time to buy again".

But if you invested any money, even a single dollar, that you probably shouldn't have, that you probably can't afford to lose, thinking itll turn around, take it out now. You are being given a short window to actually get out before the dam truly breaks, and this is the time to do so.

And not by buying tether either. Actually cash that shit out. You are flirting with actual danger at this point. If Tether breaks, the rest of crypto is going with it.

Jisgsaw

Oct 27, 2017
That was true in tech media, not really in MSM.
I looked at the Washington Post articles about "crypto" in 2021 (I removed those about kryptonite...):
U.S. group eyes English soccer club, saying crypto and NFTs can change the game
Crypto executives debut on Capitol Hill, urging light regulation of their booming industry
Singapore suspends cryptocurrency exchange accused of misleading BTS fans
Google disrupted a massive botnet that hackers used to steal information and mine cryptocurrency
Locked out of traditional financial industry, more people of color are turning to cryptocurrency
The Facebook executive in charge of the company's cryptocurrency push just quit
Bank regulators will team up to develop crypto rules next year
Ken Griffin, hedge fund billionaire, outbids crypto enthusiasts to buy copy of U.S. Constitution for $43 million
A group of crypto enthusiasts lost out on the auction to buy a rare copy of the U.S. Constitution
Analysis | How Taxing Crypto Got Changed by Biden's Infrastructure Law
L.A.'s Staples Center, home to the Lakers and Clippers, to be renamed Crypto.com Arena
A group of crypto investors is trying to buy an original copy of the U.S. Constitution
Crypto companies, on defense in Washington, scramble to assemble a lobbying machine
'Squid Game'-inspired cryptocurrency that soared by 23 million percent now worthless after apparent scam
Bitcoin-based fund's expected launch will make it easier for investors to buy a stake in crypto
Read that link carefully: Scammers scoop up misspelled cryptocurrency URLs to rob your wallet
Washington takes aim at the booming crypto industry
Crypto tax: 'MiamiCoin' has made the city $7 million so far, a potential game-changer for revenue collection
Cryptocurrency expert pleads guilty in plot to help North Korea evade economic sanctions
Cryptocurrency expert pleads guilty to conspiring to help North Korea dodge sanctions
Finally impressed? NFT of side-eyeing toddler meme fetches over $74,000 in cryptocurrency.
China vows to 'clamp down' on cryptocurrency trading, bans crypto mining
Tracking stolen crypto is a booming business: How blockchain sleuths recover digital loot
SEC's Gensler likens stablecoins to 'poker chips' amid call for tougher crypto regulation
Transcript: The Path Forward: Cryptocurrency with Gary Gensler
Treasury Department will sanction crypto exchanges that help channel payments to hackers
U.S. aims to thwart ransomware attacks by cracking down on crypto payments
Gary Gensler sharpens criticism of cryptocurrency in Senate hearing
The Path Forward: Cryptocurrency with Gary Gensler
Coinbase CEO says SEC has threatened to sue over crypto lending program
Analysis | Facebook's latest attempt to build a crypto empire meets familiar skepticism in Washington
Cryptocurrency advocates find Treasury's Yellen to be a tough sell
Opinion | A surprise roadblock in the infrastructure bill shows Congress has a lot to learn on cryptocurrency
Late effort to revamp cryptocurrency rules in infrastructure deal fails in Senate
How cryptocurrency became a powerful force in Washington
Cryptocurrency brawl bogs down infrastructure bill, as Yellen and White House fight changes
GOP senators feud over cryptocurrency plan as lawmakers seek funding for infrastructure deal
Analysis | Power Up: Amid explosive growth of cryptocurrencies, top regulators hold meeting on stablecoins
Bitcoin miners break new ground in Texas, a state hailed as the new cryptocurrency capital
U.K. regulator cracks down on Binance, the world's biggest cryptocurrency exchange
Opinion | The benefits of cryptocurrency
A TikTok influencer brings cryptocurrency trading to the masses
Perspective | Some 401(k) plans may start offering cryptocurrency as an investment option. Here's why that's a bad idea.
Bitcoin miners exit China, beat a path to the U.S. as crypto climate shifts
Bitcoin FAQ: A detailed guide to cryptocurrency and why senators are fighting about how to tax it in the infrastructure bill
Can astrology make sense of cryptocurrency? Maren Altman and a million TikTok followers think so.
Opinion | Cryptocurrency has an Elon Musk problem
White House reviews 'gaps' in cryptocurrency rules as bitcoin swings wildly
Perspective | Five myths about cryptocurrency
Treasury targets tax cheats, cryptocurrency in proposal it hopes will bring in $700 billion
Cryptocurrencies crash in brutal sell-off, with bitcoin down nearly 10 percent
Perspective | Cryptocurrency scams rose 1,000 percent in the past year and cost consumers at least $80 million, FTC says
Analysis | The Cybersecurity 202: Cybercriminals scammed a record number of victims with cryptocurrency
As cryptocurrency goes wild, fear grows about who might get hurt
Tesla stops accepting bitcoin, citing 'great cost to the environment.' The cryptocurrency's value sank.
Crypto artists have been building a rebellious, underground community of outsiders for years. Now they're making a living selling NFTs.
'It's more than just Coinbase': Crypto giant snares $85.8 billion valuation in Nasdaq debut
A car, some jewelry and a piece of cryptocurrency: The GSA is auctioning bitcoin
John McAfee charged with fraud over alleged cryptocurrency scheme
U.S. accuses three North Koreans of conspiring to steal more than $1.3 billion in cash and cryptocurrency
Justin Sun's $28 million bid won a Blue Origin auction. Now he'll pick 5 people to join him in space.
The Future of Money with Max Levchin & Eswar Prasad
Opinion | Stablecoins may not be stable. That's a problem.
Biden administration calls on Congress to take the lead regulating stablecoins
Analysis | Why Yellen, Powell Cast a Wary Eye on Stablecoins
Analysis | $500,000 for a Picture of a Rock NFT Says Where the Cycle Is
AMC will let customers pay in bitcoin by the end of 2021
Bitcoin slides, erasing nearly all 2021 gains, as China's crackdown continues
Feds recover more than $2 million in ransomware payments from Colonial Pipeline hackers
El Salvador's president wants to make country world's first to use bitcoin as legal tender
Bitcoin bounces after weekend plunge
Bitcoin claws back as Wall Street breaks losing streak
The relationship between dogecoin and Elon Musk is getting increasingly complicated
Opinion | After eight years, the question remains: What's the point of bitcoin?
He just spent $69 million on a digital piece of art. It's not his first Beeple.
Opinion | Bitcoin's boom won't dethrone the dollar, but that doesn't mean there's no danger
Bitcoin surpasses $50,000, extending massive 2021 rally
Tesla invests $1.5 billion in bitcoin, will start accepting it as payment
Massive blackouts have hit Iran. The government is blaming bitcoin mining.
Facebook, Biden officials poised for clash as tech giant seeks approval for new global payments system
Perspective | Ransomware isn't going anywhere for a while. We'll have to live with it.
Matt Furie is trying to reclaim his famous cartoon Pepe the Frog — through NFTs
Only very few of those are about all the scams and instability (remember, 2021 is the year of the NFT craze with insane amount of scams AND a semi crash in November), most are about mundane stuff (giving off the impression crypto is a normal investment), and a few are about how rich you can get with BTC.
MSM definitively played a role in normalizing crypto for the general public, and gave the image (for an uninformed public) that it was just another investment, just with far better potential payoffs than most stocks.

pizoxuat

Jan 12, 2018
And there are STILL people in this very thread just dying to be the Greatest Fool for these ponzi schemes. Lord have mercy.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
That was true in tech media, not really in MSM.
I looked at the Washington Post articles about "crypto" in 2021 (I removed those about kryptonite...):

Only very few of those are about all the scams and instability (remember, 2021 is the year of the NFT craze with insane amount of scams AND a semi crash in November), most are about mundane stuff (giving off the impression crypto is a normal investment), and a few are about how rich you can get with BTC.
MSM definitively played a role in normalizing crypto for the general public, and gave the image (for an uninformed public) that it was just another investment, just with far better potential payoffs than most stocks.
There was a lot of paid for puff pieces in the MSM. Like a lot. Of course they are still at fault but grifters absolutely tried to force this shit down peoples throats by paying for coverage.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
Those normal people *are* scammers. It's a system that only works if more and more people join. All those 'normal people' were relying on folks coming in after them. And they knew this. Whether you like it or not, every person who bought into crypto was willingly joining a pyramid scheme that relied on more people jumping in after them. And unlike normal pyramid schemes which hide what they are doing, there is *zero* excuse for not knowing what was going on. A standard google search instantly gives you articles and videos pointing this out.

I don't agree with either of these.

Not everyone is looking to convince others, and the internet is not so black & white when it comes to cryptocurrency. A google search now and you'd expect it to be doom and gloom yet, half the articles are talking about whats next for crypto rather than urging people to get out.

Jun 10, 2018
I'm begging people still in crypto, please.

For your own well being, jump out now.

I know you're determined to see it through, I know you're convinced this is just another cycle and it'll rise again, and now's the "perfect time to buy again".

But if you invested any money, even a single dollar, that you probably shouldn't have, that you probably can't afford to lose, thinking itll turn around, take it out now. You are being given a short window to actually get out before the dam truly breaks, and this is the time to do so.

And not by buying tether either. Actually cash that shit out. You are flirting with actual danger at this point. If Tether breaks, the rest of crypto is going with it.
I honestly hope people here herd your words. Because at this point the focus should be minimizing the amount of victims before the collapse.

Tether is literally on borrowed time. Peep the similarities between other recent frauds like Nikola, Theranos, and Wirecard - and know it's going to go down very similarly but several magnitudes worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.