CDX

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the law needs to be changed. To deceive someone like that and have sex with them like that it's just disgusting.

It must feel like a nightmare. It's like a scene from one of those 80s movies that happened in real life.

Deleted member 41271

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 21, 2018
People accused of sexual crimes shouldn't get attorneys?

In theory no, but attourneys that say this:
"he says should have pursued a case for sexual battery. "It makes absolutely no sense if you're 'Boo hoo hoo the victim, boo hoo hoo hoo,'" he said, mimicking a whining child."

are absolute human fecal matter. And defending admitted rapists in this way is horrible, too.

But hey, it's men that are sooooooo scared nowadays. Toootally.

John Caboose

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Reading that was not a good day to start my week... I wonder what the outcome would have been if it was here in Sweden now that we have consent-based laws for defining rape.

My thoughts go out to the victim. šŸ˜”

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It is rape. If he used deception, which he admitted, it is rape. I mean it is strange that she didn't realise, and a bizarre situation, but yeah clear rape.

iapetus

Oct 26, 2017
I suspect the law doesn't cover this because it's such a weird and unlikely situation. If the law is changed for this case, when is it ever going to come up again?

Any change to the law would have to be sufficiently wide reaching to cover more than just this case.

I'm confused, though, as to why they can't now raise charges of sexual battery against him, or why he couldn't have been found guilty of that at the original trial. Sure, only 2.5 years in jail, but a maximum sentence there would at least be something...

jawzpause

Nov 7, 2017
This is quite a interesting case. Although she consented she was tricked into consenting. What if the guy thought she wanted to cheat on her boyfriend and wasn't intentionally deceiving her? It doesn't seem the case here but would be interesting to see if that then would be considered rape. If he knew she thought it was her boyfriend then it is ofcourse rape

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah that's rape. And that guy should be knocked the fuck out a hundred times over until they can't recognize his face anymore.
Who needs enemies when you have friends like that?

Urban Scholar

Oct 30, 2017
Florida

Yep my thoughts exactly. Fuck this ruling and this movie (and it's sequels)

Christ

StarStorm

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that is rape. Victim blaming her on social media too. Wtf is this shit?

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Well he might have got away with it in court because of the sketchy law... but hopefully he will be guilty in the public's eyes. I mean if you had a business, would you want a rapist working for you?

Jindrax

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't get how Grant didn't get his ass kicked by everyone involved?
I mean if I go to bed and get woken up by my girlfriend telling she just got fucking raped by my "friend", I'm going to jail.

Deleted member 36086

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 13, 2017
It is rape. If he used deception, which he admitted, it is rape. I mean it is strange that she didn't realise, and a bizarre situation, but yeah clear rape.

Not that I'm defending this particular person, but guys use deception all the time to try to get laid. Lying about their job, who they are, where they live etc.

Ayato_Kanzaki

Nov 22, 2017
The victim gave consent to her boyfriend, not the asshole impersonating him. It is implied, but that doesn't make it untrue. So it is rape, period. The jury should have sentenced it as such.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
If the guy admitted to knowing the girl was confused then it is clearly bad intent, I'm baffled there's no crime in deceiving someone for sex.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
Regardless of the actual intercourse, the fact he got in her bed without permission and began to fondle her is sexual assault on it's own. That alone should result in a guilty verdict even if under Indiana law doesn't deem the intercourse (and it should, the fact the guy stumbled upon a loophole doesn't mean what he did was morally right, and to ensure things like this can't be done again with no consequence the law needs to be updated.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
The defense lawyer was not wrong, the prosecutors were complete idiots to go for rape instead of sexual battery when the laws in Indiana are so fucked up. Yeah, the low sentence time would have sucked, but at least the defendant would have been convicted of a felony and served jail time instead of getting off scot-free. But man the defense attorney is a complete douche and obviously a red pill/incel asshole.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
Why would the boyfriend leave her asleep in a room with a bunch of guys. Terrible fucking idea. Not saying it's his fault.

That rapist is a fucking creep and a weirdo. I hope his life gets ruined.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
People shouldnt defend admitted rapists. I dont think this is a difficult concept.
I think you don't know what a lawyer does. Defending the guilty is part of the job to guarantee fair trials for all. It is a horrible flaw of the law, but this guy really didn't rape anyone. You can't be convicted for something that isn't illegal in the law where you did it. So on that part the lawyer did his job aside from being asshole, every attorney would need to do the same job.

Snack12367

Oct 28, 2017
Fuck sake. This is why Feminism exists and needs to exist. How can some people so this as acceptable?

I'll be honest I don't understand a lot about US law, but my understand that is that if follows a the same principles as others. Precedent happens, then laws change. So why the fuck didn't the judge just lock him up? He could get another judge, it could have been appealed sure, but it also could have seen the laws changed to stop fuck heads like this from breathing the same air.

NewDonkStrong

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Horrific story, but at least with a new spotlight on the story, that asshole's life will be very uncomfortable.

Camells

The Forgotten One
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus Christ why this guy is still alive and well? I would flip out and smash the face of this evil piece of shit without even thinking

KelThaFunkee

Oct 27, 2017
Wow that's awful... couldn't they argue that she was "disabled" by the dark or that she had just woken up and was in a daze? Also is there no federal rape law?

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018

You seem to have this idea of absolute truth as something that exists and isn't subjective, and that is cute. You never ever ever know all details of a case with any degree of certainty. Then there is the idea of a fair trial, preconceptions, misremembered events. And even so, even if there is nothing doubt about anything, there still needs to be someone to guide the defendant to a fitting punishment.

You don't have to be a dick about it though.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
I think you don't know what a lawyer does. Defending the guilty is part of the job to guarantee fair trials for all. It is a horrible flaw of the law, but this guy really didn't rape anyone. You can't be convicted for something that isn't illegal in the law where you did it. So on that part the lawyer did his job aside from being asshole, every attorney would need to do the same job.
Isnt the guy a private attorney who gets to choose his cases?

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
Some of you guys seriously don't seem to understand what lawyers do. Two of my friends are public defenders, and they talk about how dreadful it is to defend people they know are guilty, but it is absolutely necessary for us to have a fair legal system.

That said, if what this guy did isn't rape under the law there, that law is absolute shit and should be changed. He definitely raped her, it was just legal rape where he lives.