• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Welcome to the rhetorical device that is hyperbole.

Or go read that famous piece by Swift.
You can be sarcastic all you like but there are many people ignoring the majority of the considered, non-hateful posts in favour of implying the thread is a consistent flow of hatred where the solution is to insult fat people wherever you see them, typically without quoting a single post doing so.

Of course obesity shouldn't be promoted, but that also doesn't mean that we should go about shaming obese people until they feel miserable about themselves. It's a fine line to walk but I think the image itself is fine. Obese people deserve to be happy ... even if thei

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
its quite obvious what Gillette is trying to accomplish here, and based on how many replies are in this thread its working great.

Edit: just to add my opinion, I take no issue with people Smoking and drinking so if she wants to be morbidly obese, all the power to her.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can be sarcastic all you like but there are many people ignoring the majority of the considered, non-hateful posts in favour of implying the thread is a consistent flow of hatred where the solution is to insult fat people wherever you see them, typically without quoting a single post doing so.

It's called poisoning the well by straw-manning, which on a forum, usually pressures moderation to lock a topic and state "The discussion has now run its course or we feel the discussion isn't productive anymore".

I understand it might be an emotional and/or sensitive topic for many, but purposefully lying or misrepresenting the majority of an 11-page topic doesn't help any point you might want to make.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Also being obese is a choice, I can see people saying being overweight is hard and different people can struggle with it, but to be morbidly obese is 100% a choice, let's not pretend otherwise. Doesn't mean that we should obese people like shit, but we also shouldn't coddle them.

"Poverty is a choice. I can see people saying being poor is hard and different people can struggle with it, but to be in poverty is 100% a choice, let's not pretend otherwise. Doesn't mean that we should treat poor people like shit, but we also shouldn't coddle them."

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Lol get out of here with that shit. Talk to me about what I said or don't bother.

Why not? Is being poor a choice? Like, shouldn't you just get a better job and go to a better school and make more money? What's stopping you? I know people who got rich?

Or are their larger societal barriers at play and much more complicated issues at stake than just "not being poor"?

I'll be honest. A lot of "liberals" start sounding exactly like Republicans attacking welfare queens and the nanny state when it comes to obese/fat people and start making the exact same arguments about personal responsibility while ignoring mountains of evidence that a lot of the issues around obesity are societal and not individual.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
You see a lot of those people here, which is surprising. They can be the most liberal, progressive in other ways, but when it comes to fat people, they muster up the vitriol of a diehard Trump supporter.
That's because there are a lot of faux liberals in this place that are secretly the judgiest assholes around. Their version of liberalism is not acceptance and tolerance. It's moral piety.

Obviously not even close to the majority. But I know the type when I see it.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
The post you quoted didn't accuse the thread of this. The OP is about the negative reaction to this post on twitter. And there is a lot of hate and fat shaming in that reaction. Some posts in this thread have crossed a line (look for anyone who got banned) but this whole discussion is about why this tweet got the spew of hatrid it got.

I'm not sure why you're presuming people talking about those reactions are solely aiming those things at this thread.

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017
Mind quoting the people saying anything akin to this?
I don't know about other people, but my post was in response to the twitter threads in the OP full of fat shaming. That's what the topic is about, so I don't see why a poster needs to address anyone directly in this thread to be critical of it.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Poverty is a choice. I can see people saying being poor is hard and different people can struggle with it, but to be in poverty is 100% a choice, let's not pretend otherwise. Doesn't mean that we should treat poor people like shit, but we also shouldn't coddle them."
Nice false equivalency.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I'm not sure why you're presuming people talking about those reactions are solely aiming those things at this thread.
Because many of them directly reference this forum, thread or members? If they're referring to the replies on twitter that's fine - again though, without referencing them or Twitter it's vague at best.

Deleted member 46489

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Mind quoting the people saying anything akin to this?

I'm saying that "the Gillette ad is normalizing obesity" logic can be stretched to the point where you could say that seeing obese people in the world normalizes obesity. And then you're arguing all kinds of stupid stuff. Literally NO obese person goes thorough life thinking -"Ah, this is fine." Family, romantic partners, friends, doctors, random people on the street all remind them ALL the time about their obesity. So this Gillette ad isn't gonna be a magic wand that makes obese people feel good about their obesity. It's simply saying- Hey, you might be obese, but you're still a human being, and you have the right to live and enjoy life. It's not normalizing their obesity. It's validating their existence. There's a difference.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
I really think this all just comes down to people trying to justify their disgust at seeing obese people. Their initial reaction is to be repulsed, so they have to then find a reason to justify that.
That's a good insight.

It's especial transparent that it isn't about health when the obese person they're shaming is being physically active.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Unsurprisingly, this forum hasn't changed much since the last large-scale obesity discussion. The moral superiority is just OOZING from this thread. It's painful to watch.

Also obesity isn't necessarily a choice any more than being a drug addict is a choice. It's basically an addiction to food, isn't it? So there's gotta be a lack of control there somewhere that separates the act of eating from being a purely choice-driven event. Stop acting like obese people are 100% in control of their eating habits.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Why not? Is being poor a choice? Like, shouldn't you just get a better job and go to a better school and make more money? What's stopping you? I know people who got rich?

Or are their larger societal barriers at play and much more complicated issues at stake than just "not being poor"?

I'll be honest. A lot of "liberals" start sounding exactly like Republicans attacking welfare queens and the nanny state when it comes to obese/fat people and start making the exact same arguments about personal responsibility while ignoring mountains of evidence that a lot of the issues around obesity are societal and not individual.
When did I even say the word "choice"? I literally said obese people need a lot of support. Don't argue with me about points I didn't make.

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017
Because many of them directly reference this forum, thread or members? If they're referring to the replies on twitter that's fine - again though, without referencing them or Twitter it's vague at best.
I see plenty that are explicit, just not the one quoted specifically. I would focus on one of those other explicit people :V

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Well it is a good step towards promoting healthy life style as well as denouncing body shaming. Perhaps they can also do an ad for petite gents in the not too distant future.

We exist and we can't alter our stature without excruciatingly painful and expensive surgery.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
When did I even say the word "choice"? I literally said obese people need a lot of support. Don't argue with me about points I didn't make.

He accidentally quoted the wrong person. Well, the quote was right, but the person wasn't. He meant to respond to this:

Also being obese is a choice, I can see people saying being overweight is hard and different people can struggle with it, but to be morbidly obese is 100% a choice, let's not pretend otherwise. Doesn't mean that we should obese people like shit, but we also shouldn't coddle them.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I'm sorry, but this comparison doesn't make much sense to me.

A lot, literally MILLIONS, of people are born into massive poverty. The kind of poverty you have no hope of ever escaping. In Africa, Asia, South America and yes, even North America and Europe. Everyday people are born into financial conditions that they have little to no chance of ever changing, regardless of what they might do.

Obesity, while something that can be triggered by myriad of medical conditions (see pituitary glands, for example), it's not something you're born into (most of the time). While some of those situations are hard to deal with, a lot of them can be turned around.

I feel these aren't really comparable issues. What's true, IMO, is that we as a society need to do a WHOLE lot more to help people in both conditions. Eliminate the stigmas present in these "issues" and find actual solutions instead of fat shaming or telling someone to just pull themselves up by their bootstraps, which actively leads us nowhere.

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I don't know about other people, but my post was in response to the twitter threads in the OP full of fat shaming. That's what the topic is about, so I don't see why a poster needs to address anyone directly in this thread to be critical of it.
I see plenty that are explicit, just not the one quoted specifically. I would focus on one of those other explicit people :V

Fair point. I'm relating some of them due to the progression of the thread and their posts among any ongoing conversation, thinking them to be referencing it or a part of it.

As you say there's definitely posts that explicitly make this thread out to be some vat of hatred and should have stuck to those being explicit when making the point. I was reading the others forgetting the other conversation/remarks on Twitter.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unsurprisingly, this forum hasn't changed much since the last large-scale obesity discussion. The moral superiority is just OOZING from this thread. It's painful to watch.

Also obesity isn't necessarily a choice any more than being a drug addict is a choice. It's basically an addiction to food, isn't it? So there's gotta be a lack of control there somewhere that separates the act of eating from being a purely choice-driven event. Stop acting like obese people are 100% in control of their eating habits.
No one has a physical addiction to food, so it isn't the same as being addicted to hard drugs.

Psychological addictions are much easier to break than physical ones.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
If this ad was celebrating a crack addict would that be the same thing?

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
My explicitness is only directed at those directly hand waving the blatant hate referenced in the twitter thread.

As for those saying that obesity is unhealthy.
tumblr_inline_p1brmcd9Dk1rr08jv_500.jpg

Fucking duh. You don't think as an overweight/ obese person that I don't know this? And that every meal isn't anxiety ridden and filled with guilt even when it's just chicken and veggies because my mind is telling me "no matter what you do it will never be enough."?

The fake concern and advice is unneeded and unwanted. And knowing it's phoniness, it's obvious that the only real motive could be that those judging just don't want to see fat people because they are disgusted by them.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry, but this comparison doesn't make much sense to me.

A lot, literally MILLIONS, of people are born into massive poverty. The kind of poverty you have no hope of ever escaping. In Africa, Asia, South America and yes, even North America and Europe. Everyday people are born into financial conditions that they have little to no chance of ever changing, regardless of what they might do.

Obesity, while something that can be triggered by myriad of medical conditions (see pituitary glands, for example), it's not something you're born into (most of the time). While some of those situations are hard to deal with, a lot of them can be turned around.

I feel these aren't really comparable issues. What's true, IMO, is that we as a society need to do a WHOLE lot more to help people in both conditions. Eliminate the stigmas present in these "issues" and find actual solutions instead of fat shaming or telling someone to just pull themselves up by their bootstraps, which actively leads us nowhere.

I'm taking about within a society and even you admit there are conditions that people can't break out of, but I think you're downplaying things by a great deal. I didn't say they're exactly the same as far as how widespread they are or exactly how hard they can be to break out of. The comparison is still very apt, though, because obesity has reached a societal level problem.

Childhood obesity is an issue. What do you say to that? You know how hard it is to break out of that when that's all you know? Society pushed parents into bad choices and then it's passed on to you. Before you can even do anything about it you've lived that way for over a decade. Yes you can break out of it, but it's fucking hard, especially if some genetic issues are there, too. You're still in that same society that pushes shit diet, poor mental health options, and bad work culture. It absolutely can be something you're born into.

And here's one study about childhood obesity correlating with parents obesity:

The researchers found that 25 percent of the children were in the 85th percentile of BMI at 9.5 years of age, including 9 percent that were in the 95th percentile. They also found that 48 percent of children with overweight parents became overweight, compared with 13 percent of those with normal-weight parents.

Agras said parental obesity represented the most potent risk factor, a finding that confirms previous observations, and the connection between overweight parents and overweight children is likely due to a combination of genetics and family environmental influences.

He also noted that a child's temperament altered the effect of a parent's obesity; 46 percent of children with a sensitive disposition and an overweight parent became overweight, compared with 19 percent of children without this disposition.

Again, I'm not saying you cannot escape it. No one is. You can grow up in the poorest of poor areas in the entire world and end up rich as fuck, but that doesn't negate the statistical uphill battle most face.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
It's reminding women that being obese is no excuse for heading to the beach without shaving their legs and arm pits. It's kind of evil that they set up a situation where women will feel compelled to defend this ad just because of the fat shaming.
That's actually genius. Outrage marketing is fucking crazy. It means you defend a brand and lowkey advertise for them to seem woke online. It's been going on for a while and they've done the exact same thing before.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The ad isn't necessarily celebrating anything, but the thought experiment you've proposed has already been better put to ask if Gillette put someone that was clinically anorexic in their video, would people be posting say "it's just to represent diversity"? As I've already covered, skinniness and being overweight are not the same as anorexia and being obese.

The answer to that is largely no (you're not going to see an anorexic person in a razor ad), but there is a large cultural debate right now with why morbid obesity is not seen as serious an issue as the opposite fringe issue to itself which is anorexia. Or why the terms of obesity are being attempted to be changed by the population, to overrule the medical world.

But I guess if others are bringing up drug addictions in this topic to try and draw correlations to eating disorders, you can if you want ask will Gillette feature drug addicts? Or, because financial status has now been brought up too, will Gillette go out of their way to feature "poor people" in some way? It goes without saying when it comes to razor blades, both drug addicts and poor people obviously buy razors.

Gillette simply don't give a shit, they're abusing and using like Proctor and Gamble would want them to. If there was a cultural reason or it was relevant to the mass public discourse right now, you damn well know they'd use an anorexic person too.

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
There is a very unfair presumption that this woman *isn't* currently making healthy life choices.

Also, if an advert was about smiling no matter how bad your teeth are showed someone with bad teeth due to a drug problem, would we presume it was 'normalizing meth addictions'?

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
Great that nothing has changed here.

People who are obese aren't all stuffing their face with cheeseburgers and soda, losing weight and keeping it that way is just fucking harder for some people than others. My mom lost 50 lbs doing weight watchers dilligently, exercised several times a week but gained most of it back because her body and the society around her made it hard to keep it off.

Guess what never, never, never fucking helped? the constant reminders that society looked down on her for her weight or her internalizing of that fact.

I know plenty of overweight and obese people. They fucking know it's bad for them and most of them are actively trying to do something about it. Seeing a big girl in a shaving commercial isn't going to erase decades of societal conditioning that shames the overweight for being so and praises skinniness as being a moral good. Maybe if you're unhappy about this commercial, does it make you feel better that no matter how many commercials like this come out, the person I love most in the world is going is still going to talk about being a "fat piece of shit" just because she failed to lose the weight she wanted to.

Believe me, the shame is not going away any time soon. It's embedded so far into people's souls at this point that no amount of body positivity is going to wrench it out.

You want to actually change shit that promotes obesity? Get mad about soda adverts, get mad about car companies discouraging public transit, get mad about junk food in schools.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
No one has a physical addiction to food, so it isn't the same as being addicted to hard drugs.

Fucking what!?

Physical addictions are downright addition and subtraction to psychological addiction's quantum physics. Almost literally, since physical addiction requires nothing more than subtracting a substance's presence for a period of time until the body acclimates to its absence. Psychological addiction never fully goes away.

I say that as a smoker who drinks more than he should and, quite frankly, ain't great at moderation in most things. I could stop the physical link to cigarettes by just not using any for awhile. It's gonna be a whole world harder to stop the desire to have one before bed or while writing, because I inadvertently linked those activities.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017

What is Food Addiction?

Food is essential to human survival and is an important aspect of our wellness, in addition to a means of pleasure and enjoyment. Food not only provides needed sustenance, it also adds a gratification factor through various tastes, smells, textures, etc. However, for many individuals, food can become as addictive as drugs are to a substance abuser.

For men and women suffering from a food addiction, highly palatable foods (which are often rich in fat, sugar, and/or salt) trigger chemical reactions in the brain that induce feelings of pleasure and satisfaction. This reaction has been explained as comparable to an addict's response to their substance of choice, as it activates the same brain reward center.

Food addicts become dependent upon the "good" feelings that are obtained from consuming certain foods, which often perpetuates a continued need to eat, even when not hungry. These behaviors generate a vicious cycle. As the food addict continues to gorge upon foods that induce pleasurable feelings, they often overindulge and eat beyond what is required for satiety and normal nutrition.

This can lead to several physicals, emotional, and social consequences, such as digestive issues, heart disease, obesity, low-self esteem, depression, and isolation. A food addict will often re-engage in these destructive behaviors, even amidst undesired consequences, due to the need for induced feelings of pleasure.

Because of the ferocious cycle of food addiction and the detrimental consequences associated with this behavior, it is crucial that professional help is sought. If you or a loved one has been struggling with an addiction to food, consider the possibilities of a life free of this burden. You can find peace from a food addiction by seeking the appropriate care and help you need.

Sugar Addiction:

Sugar consumption can create a short-term high and spark of energy in the body. Some studies have suggested sugar is as addictive as cocaine. People often enjoy the dopamine release sugar brings. However, due to the addictive nature of sugar, long-term health effects like obesity and diabetes are as a risk of sugar overindulgence. Similar to other compulsions or behavioral addictions, sugar addiction is a special risk for people with low moods, anxiety and stress.

Additionally, people who suffer from constant tiredness may reach for carb-rich sugary foods. Sugar releases endorphins in the body and combines with other chemicals in the body, resulting in a surge of energy. Once someone mentally connects sugar with help providing energy, they may become dependent on it, usually inadvertently. People may begin to crave sugar to balance irritability, emotional lows, and other conditions. Eventually, there is little control over avoiding sugary foods, and a sugar addiction has developed.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Not sure why you're persisting in replying in this tone and manner but sure, here's a few from the last couple of pages:

ResetEra and hatred towards fat people, name a more iconic duo.
Are you all still surprised that ERA is full of self important dickheads?

Stop being surprised
Omg some of you people. :/

The ad is fine for what it is and what it advertises. Stop seeing issues where there isn't any!
I wish the people complaining about health conditions actually cared about her well being, or that of others. Nobody in this thread or the one on twitter, that is complaining about "glorifying" obesity, actually gives two flying fucks about the woman in the ad or any number of other obese people they come across. So honestly, why say anything at all? Why bother, if not to shame someone for their weight? None of you are doing this out of concern for anyone else.
Jesus Christ, some of the people in this thread. Do you walk around the beach and scream at anyone over 12% bodyfat that they are living an unhealthy lifestyle?

FFS, this promotes a shaving product and body positivity. There is nothing *wrong* with that.

Now, should we also be encouraging a healthy lifestyle, and going after shitty high-calorie foods, subsidized sugar and other shit that the government promotes that is unhealthy? Absolutely. Hell, I think we should be open to suing the manufacturers of this stuff the way we hit the tobacco industry. But, this ad is a good thing that will make people feel better, so everyone hating on it needs to take a hard look at why you hate seeing a woman who is a little larger.

Being a moderator with an active interest in the thread I made the assumption you'd have seen them, frequent as they are.

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't be an asshole to obese people, but that said, this ad is weird. It could have just as easily been something like:

This is Bill, he's a meth addict with meth sores. But he doesn't let that stop him from showing his radiant skin.

It just feels like you're talking around a major issue to focus on something much more trivial. It's awkward and uncomfortable, and it does trivialize the disease of morbid obesity to at least some extent.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
That's actually genius. Outrage marketing is fucking crazy. It means you defend a brand and lowkey advertise for them to seem woke online. It's been going on for a while and they've done the exact same thing before.
Yeah I hadn't even thought about this factor of it, since I was caught up in the aspect of "fat people being publicly visible being on" thing.

Cynical woke marketing really is getting gross isn't it.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Don't be an asshole to obese people, but that said, this ad is weird. It could have just as easily been something like:

This is Bill, he's a meth addict with meth sores. But he doesn't let that stop him from showing his radiant skin.

It just feels like you're talking around a major issue to focus on something much more trivial. It's awkward and uncomfortable, and it does trivialize the disease of morbid obesity to at least some extent.
Because apparently being fat is the only thing that's allowed to define a fat person as far as it pertains to their public life? Should fat people just be endlessly reminded that they are fat (as if they don't know and haven't tried various things to not be) until they are less disgusting to the general public?

-2B-

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Sep 23, 2018
Gilette marketing is good at drawing attention to products people never talk about otherwise.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
Here is my problem with people. Fat shaming doesn't help anybody. Why can we just support each other. You can still be nice to obese people and still fight the good fight against obesity itself. At the end of the day, the only person that can change an obese person from being obese to healthy lifestyle is themselves. I hated to work out. Now, I am working out every single day for 50 minutes MINIMUM, maintain a 1500 calorie count, and I enjoy it! And you know what, I did it not do it because fat shaming, because I have been fat shamed by my own family throughout my life, but because I want to grow old with my wife and run with my kids at the park.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure why you're persisting in replying in this tone and manner but sure, here's a few from the last couple of pages:

Being a moderator with an active interest in the thread I made the assumption you'd have seen them, frequent as they are.

You know there's no rule on this forum that requires us to explicitly quote specific posts when we criticize the tone of a thread. There are gross comments and insinuations directed toward obese people on basically every page in this thread. I'm not going to go through and quote them all because they just make me sad.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I'm taking about within a society and even you admit there are conditions that people can't break out of, but I think you're downplaying things by a great deal. I didn't say they're exactly the same as far as how widespread they are or exactly how hard they can be to break out of. The comparison is still very apt, though, because obesity has reached a societal level problem.

Childhood obesity is an issue. What do you say to that? You know how hard it is to break out of that when that's all you know? Society pushed parents into bad choices and then it's passed on to you. Before you can even do anything about it you've lived that way for over a decade. Yes you can break out of it, but it's fucking hard, especially if some genetic issues are there, too. You're still in that same society that pushes shit diet, poor mental health options, and bad work culture. It absolutely can be something you're born into.

And here's one study about childhood obesity correlating with parents obesity:

Again, I'm not saying you cannot escape it. No one is. You can grow up in the poorest of poor areas in the entire world and end up rich as fuck, but that doesn't negate the statistical uphill battle most face.
Fair enough, kids can't control their own destinies for quite sometime (even as adults sometimes, but that's a whole different can of worms) and are forced into shitty situations by their family.

However, I still wouldn't compare them. In the poorest of the poor areas, food and water themselves are lacking (as well as proper medical care). A lot of those born into those conditions end up dying sooner rather than later, many still as very young kids. Being obese usually implies having regular access to calories, at the very least. Though like I said, some medical conditions prove this isn't always true either.

I'm not denying that both these situations are issues, real societal issues that we need to deal with properly, but the comparison doesn't really seem apt to my mind is all. Different causes, different problems, different solutions. Although, I will say, that poverty itself in the more developed countries can lead to obesity due to people only being able to afford the shittiest possible types of foods (fast food, junk food, snacks, candies, etc). So one can cause the other.