• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do YOU want the next OT title to be?

• A Peaceful Life in Satan City

Votes: 125 43.3%
  • Bro-ohs Before Ho-ohs

Votes: 17 5.9%
  • Anime In The Streets, Hentai In The Sheets

Votes: 113 39.1%
  • Grip It & Rip It

Votes: 14 4.8%
  • Ban Francisco

Votes: 20 6.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
At least they talk about y'all's games. I'm sitting here with Battletech, Unavowed (Edit: DIVINITY ORIGINAL SIN 2 HOW DID I FORGET YOU) and a whole lot of silence.
fuck

my tomatoes are going bad

my life is over
Have you considered cheese? No one has as many friends as the man with many cheeses!

Last edited:

Garbuckle

Mar 23, 2018
I'm mostly sad to hear them rag on the story in Spider-Man. It's definitely not perfect, and does telegraph its beats real fuckin hard, but that's sort of the point. It's the tragedy of knowing exactly what's going to happen with one specific character and waiting for the shoe to drop, and the game does a great job of it.

Vicious17

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I agree with this, unfortunately. I like Ben a lot on certain features and feel him and Jeff work together wonderfully on the Bombcast. For an example, I also don't watch Quick Looks anymore, but I started CrossCode the other day and decided to throw on the QL while eating dinner to see if I could learn anything since I'm still early on, but I tapped out from boredom about 5 minutes in. It's just typically meandering and not engaging.

I also tried watching crosscode yesterday, despite already bying it. Because it's a game I wanted to see more of. Didn't finish it.

"lets try doing this puzzle for 5 minutes and quit right before finishing it because this is probably boring. Lets try killing this enemy and die a few times" and... then I kinda stopped.

To be fair, I get what he was going for, especially if he thought the Bergen Mines dungeons was heavy puizzles, which it is, but it has combat too if he'd have gone just a bit further. And the Deer and Snowmen he was fighting are WAY too strong for the point they show up in, so I can' blame him for "being bad" or anything like that. But like at least when Brad dies in a videogame (which happens a lot), he has a reaction, he gets kind of frustrated which makes it more entertaining imo. Ben is just Ben.

Vicious17

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm mostly sad to hear them rag on the story in Spider-Man. It's definitely not perfect, and does telegraph its beats real fuckin hard, but that's sort of the point. It's the tragedy of knowing exactly what's going to happen with one specific character and waiting for the shoe to drop, and the game does a great job of it.

What's funny is that the story's arguably better than the vast majority of Spidey comics. Its not great, sure. But it does what it set out to do, and writes some real good characters in the process. Like Octavius, for example.

Oct 27, 2017
i'm inches away from giving up on spiderman. i haven't played it in over a week and other games are coming out so if i don't end up playing it this weekend i think that's probably a rap on spiderman.

Vicious17

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
i'm inches away from giving up on spiderman. i haven't played it in over a week and other games are coming out so if i don't end up playing it this weekend i think that's probably a rap on spiderman.

Unfortunately, me too. I got to the part where literally weveryone and their dog has a gun. And it got... frustrating. Turning the difficulty down kind of actually makes it worse because it doesnt change gun damage, or how often they use guns, it jsut makes everythign die in 2 hts and some challenges next to impossible to complete.

Hindl

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in a similar spot. I'm really enjoying it, but I made the mistake of waiting to do a lot of the collectible stuff until Act 3, so my last few play sessions I just did a bunch of collectible shit since I thought I wanted to do 100%. I may just mainline through the rest of it though since I do wanna see the end and just accept I won't 100% it

Oct 25, 2017
Ehhhhhhh I get it. Night in the Woods doesn't read like my millennial group experience, and a good chunk of the stuff between Mae and Gregg and Bea and the rest does read like it comes from a certain sphere of Twitter that I'm on the periphery of and occasionally find irritating. The Night in the Woods dialogue is naturalistic in a sense but...like Dan said during the GOTY stuff I think, that doesn't make Mae especially a character I want to spend time around
I don't think you're supposed to love Mae, she kinda sucks, too. Which makes it better.

Also, the writer is actually very active on Twitter and it's not too crazy to see parallels between dialogue and jokes.

how does dan not find dril funny

is he 85 years old
It's absurdist Twitter humor, why would you expect Dan to like that

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
What's funny is that the story's arguably better than the vast majority of Spidey comics. Its not great, sure. But it does what it set out to do, and writes some real good characters in the process. Like Octavius, for example.
It's also better than the vast amounts of attempts at writing a coherent video game story. Spider-Man is the first earnest attempt at writing a good one and it succeeds more than fails.

Liquid Shake

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
listening to the preview talk they had on the beastcast and just the fact that it's the sequel to some of their favorite game of last generation.

Vinny sounded like he was already tempering his expectations during that preview though. I really don't think they will all rave about it even if it's bad just because Red Dead Redemption is in the title. Seems overly cynical on your part to assume this will be the case.

Chuck

Oct 25, 2017
The Beastcast is actually very similar to the Bombcast in how they find it much harder to talk positively about a game than to throw peanuts at it.

Deleted member 22476

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just look at how uncritically BotW was received. Red Dead is in the same boat.

What does how they much they liked it have any relation to how they'll like a completely different game? I can see a million ways in which Red Dead 2 isn't universally loved by them or anyone else. Trying to pretend we have any real insight into how that will shake out pre-release is silly.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
It's very appropriate this Assassin's Creed game has the same acronym as the last one.

2537625-vinnygoofin.gif

Teddified

Oct 25, 2017
I'll just call it Odyssey so people think I'm talking about mario just like I use Syndicate to talk about AC and not the shooter.

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
What does how they much they liked it have any relation to how they'll like a completely different game? I can see a million ways in which Red Dead 2 isn't universally loved by them or anyone else. Trying to pretend we have any real insight into how that will shake out pre-release is silly.
I mean we'll see but the hyperbolic way Dan and Jeff B (and every other games press) were talking about it doesn't give me much hope.

Teddified

Oct 25, 2017
I mean we'll see but the hyperbolic way Dan and Jeff B (and every other games press) were talking about it doesn't give me much hope.
Yeah I'm sure it wont be all praise, but the way bakalar talked about how everyone experience will be different cause of the open world and how sidequests are just as good as main quests now felt hyperbolic to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.