• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do YOU want the next OT title to be?

• A Peaceful Life in Satan City

Votes: 125 43.3%
  • Bro-ohs Before Ho-ohs

Votes: 17 5.9%
  • Anime In The Streets, Hentai In The Sheets

Votes: 113 39.1%
  • Grip It & Rip It

Votes: 14 4.8%
  • Ban Francisco

Votes: 20 6.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Also seriously I don't understand why it's brought up that much.

It's a failed series. There have a multitude of other failed series. Whatever. We just talked about being your b games recently. That was bad. With one good part which is so bad it's good.
I still mourn the No-Go Show and Solo Queue... they didn't even get a second episode!
I tried to go back and watch some of this when they did that Twitch marathon and man... it has aged very poorly, made me kinda sad.
Whaaat?! It's as amazing as ever. You can see it advance episode-to-episode early on, and later season are like a completely different beast, visually.

That ReBoot marathon was lovely.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Kingdom Hearts in this day and age, requires someone who genuinely adores it. There's so much nonsense and garbage (and I say this as someone who myself adores the series) around it that doing a faux ironic playthrough instead of buckling down and just trying to play the game will lead to some really boring videos and playthrough.

It's almost definitely not everyone's cup of tea (I have some major gripes of my own with them) but the oney plays folks did, for all intents and purposes, a good contemporary playthrough of KH1. Granted, they heavily edit their videos and the person playing it actually liked the video game. They also do bits here and there (which, again, some land, some hit, some painfully bad), but they worked it and made something entertaining. Hell they even had rotating guests. There's a lot of stuff working against Ben's playthrough. Top to bottom, KHeartache was just bad. Ain't nothing was saving it.

I still think part of the problem for Heartache is that KH1 doesn't have enough nonsense to have fun with, when seeing that seemed like part of the intent, particularly with that format. It was a thing I was wondering about as they did it - since it's not like confusing things would be happening hour by hour to explain to the next guest - but replaying it myself made it very clear; I'd forgotten how little of the more ridiculous stuff isn't present till at least CoM.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
And here's the thing, I think Ben would have ironically liked the nonsense or whatever, but that not the part where everything went wrong. It's the game part.

Like you watch it and it's clear he's constantly having problems with the navigation and traversal. Mostly on the games own archaic faults.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I did not

I did however just buy Kingdom Hearts 2.8 Prologue and it should be here tomorrow!

I also just bought that lol

I don't need to get to it till, like, November (assuming I can even keep things up, starting 2 next week once I finish Spidey, so that I'll have beaten BBS by that point) but $20 is cheap enough

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
I still need to finish Birth By Sleep, but fuck that Riku side boss rush at the end. I haven't been that frustrated by a game in a while.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Well now I'm depressed. I found a 2010(?) design of Bob from proposed ReBoot revival movie(???). He's the blue guy in the gif above.

why do they hate ReBoot fans...

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
KH1 is fun and charming but it's also really hard to go back to. I bought the HD Remix and was excited for it but nope, didn't finish it. I don't like most of the worlds or how the combat feels.

KH2 has way more dumb bullshit but it's so much funner to actually play.

The one thing we can all agree on is that the Utada Hikaru opening videos for the games are gorgeous, well directed, and fun to watch, with good music.

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
KH1 is fun and charming but it's also really hard to go back to. I bought the HD Remix and was excited for it but nope, didn't finish it. I don't like most of the worlds or how the combat feels.

KH2 has way more dumb bullshit but it's so much funner to actually play.

The one thing we can all agree on is that the Utada Hikaru opening videos for the games are gorgeous, well directed, and fun to watch, with good music.
Yeah, KH1 combat is very stiff.

Utada is the GOAT. I watched a youtube video of all the opening cutscenes a couple days ago lol.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
KH1 combat is fine when you are spamming spells and summons, to be honest

unless you dislike hearing the same words over and over and over and over and

Teddified

Oct 25, 2017
Also seriously I don't understand why it's brought up that much.

It's a failed series. There have a multitude of other failed series. Whatever. We just talked about being your b games recently. That was bad. With one good part which is so bad it's good.
I think a major reason it keeps being brought up is how Ben doesn't really want to talk about it anymore(whether its him or just trying to keep up the bit idk). Also the format of the guest and lack of acknowledging it as a series just made things confusing. Like everyone knows it's canceled but Ben and GB never said so and refuse to really talk about it when brought up.

I would like a blog or something of it someday where Ben just writes a postmortem of the series.

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
This is definitely the reason why I haven't gotten past episode 3 of Beast in the East. I just don't have time to be extremely laser focused on content like that. Beast in the East is some "I'm gonna stop everything and only use my phone some of the time" content.
By this logic they should only make boring content that no one actually pays attention to. Their best series like Mario Party, Bioforge, Contradiction, P4 wouldn't exist. Everything would be Garfield and Breakfast and Ben.

Re Kingdom Heartache... if they can play fucking Shenmue and have it be a great series there is no reason a kingdom hearts play through couldn't be good, the game is beyond ridiculous and dumb. It was bad because of the gimmick and because ben is not a good show runner.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda the same with Yakuza 1. I recalled having g find memories of it but man I don't if it's just kiwami meeting things up but I just can't get into it. The story hasn't aged great either really.

TheRightDeal

Oct 27, 2017
The first worlds in KH1 are so boring, I actually like the later game quite a bit but Alice in Wonderland and Tarzan are a slog.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
I still remember first time playing KH1 back in the day

I was mesmerized by that opening video and Simple And Clean.

vectorj

Oct 30, 2017
I still think part of the problem for Heartache is that KH1 doesn't have enough nonsense to have fun with, when seeing that seemed like part of the intent, particularly with that format. It was a thing I was wondering about as they did it - since it's not like confusing things would be happening hour by hour to explain to the next guest - but replaying it myself made it very clear; I'd forgotten how little of the more ridiculous stuff isn't present till at least CoM.
Yeah I guess the most common misconception people have nowadays w/ KH is that people are kind of expecting it to "be in on the joke" along with them.

Except naw. It's 100% sincere about all it's trash. It's genuine about all the darkness/light talk. Like, you get anime dudes in dark coats and some teens wanting to be together again. People look at KH and go "man what is going on!!" and what people see is exactly what is going on.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I guess the most common misconception people have nowadays w/ KH is that people are kind of expecting it to "be in on the joke" along with them.

Except naw. It's 100% sincere about all it's trash. It's genuine about all the darkness/light talk. Like, you get anime dudes in dark coats and some teens wanting to be together again. People look at KH and go "man what is going on!!" and what people see is exactly what is going on.

No I think people expect it to be 100% sincere. I get finding ironic enjoyment out of cheese.

It's like watching the room.

Dude really believed he had something going.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
So have we hammered out what "yeti pubes" look like?

I'm really just trying to picture our wonderful American President as he is described

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
Some people irrationally dislike Ben and use it as an example. That's my guess. It's weird.
Playing through the Kingdom Hearts games is something people have been wanting for a while. I like Ben just fine but Kingdom Heartache wasn't good, he barely payed attention during the cutscenes (which would've alleviated some of his confusion about what to do next, like lighting the torches in Wonderland), and forced the same jokes every episode because "that's the bit".

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
It's gonna be a pretty short playdate if it's the NES stuff. Most of those games are only worth spending about 5 minutes on tbh...

Oct 26, 2017
I tried to go back and watch some of this when they did that Twitch marathon and man... it has aged very poorly, made me kinda sad.

I kind of thought the opposite - visually sure, but I was surprised that the writing was like...actually pretty clever still.

On a side reboot tangent, I was briefly involved in a pitch to work on a VR thing for the new series but it kind of went nowhere and then I got laid off. Seeing how shitty the new show is though it's probably for the best.

vectorj

Oct 30, 2017
No I think people expect it to be 100% sincere. I get finding ironic enjoyment out of cheese.

It's like watching the room.

Dude really believed he had something going.

I feel like most people look at KH and go "hey! Do something weird/crazy" when in reality it does take the games a bit to build up to it.

KH1 specifically is very much a Video Game about Friendship. KH2 kinda forgets this until the end, and spends like 10 hours of your time trying to convince you how cool OrgXIII is.

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
I kind of thought the opposite - visually sure, but I was surprised that the writing was like...actually pretty clever still.

On a side reboot tangent, I was briefly involved in a pitch to work on a VR thing for the new series but it kind of went nowhere and then I got laid off. Seeing how shitty the new show is though it's probably for the best.
I still think the writing is great, the visuals are what I was talking about, and yeah that new show seems like a total bummer.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
I still think the writing is great, the visuals are what I was talking about, and yeah that new show seems like a total bummer.

I feel like, even at the time shows like it and Beast Wars were mostly seen as looking bad? I just don't remember looking at those shows as visually great. At least with Reboot, I thought it was sort of intended.

Deleted member 22476

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
FIFA 19 is out on EA Access, ladz.

Despite only being an average player I've probably put many more hours into FIFA in the last year than any other game.

Oct 26, 2017

Ah gotcha. Yeah it was a total mess. I remember some Rainmaker people popping up on reddit and mentioned some of the hurdles in getting that thing off the ground and it sounds like it went wrong about every conceivable way it could have.

Wrighteous86

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I don't think that accurately reflects what Ben finds enjoyable at all based on what other games he's spoken highly of, and I think he'd be into the sincere + ridiculous things.
I guess I meant more as a viewer, but I understand your point.

forced the same jokes every episode because "that's the bit".
So it was your standard Ben content.

But yeah, like you said, he didn't pay close enough attention to the game, which you kind of need to in order to know what to do (and in order to properly make fun of/have fun with it) and the video's gimmick leaned into Ben's worst impulses.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.