What do YOU want the next OT title to be?

• A Peaceful Life in Satan City

Votes: 125 43.3%
  • Bro-ohs Before Ho-ohs

Votes: 17 5.9%
  • Anime In The Streets, Hentai In The Sheets

Votes: 113 39.1%
  • Grip It & Rip It

Votes: 14 4.8%
  • Ban Francisco

Votes: 20 6.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hindl

Oct 25, 2017
This is a shame. At this point, it feels like celebrities as political leaders should be covered in history classes as examples of terrible leaders for the progress of a country. Reagan is looked fondly upon by far too many people since he did many of the things that have set up not only our current President, but the economic divide we see today. Trump should be covered at length as a massive mistake in the hope that future generations will avoid repeating what is hopefully a momentary blip in our country's history.

He's giving speeches for current GOP candidates right now trying to cover for the negative impact of Trump on the party as a whole. He's better than Trump, but he's still a horrible person and president.
Well Trump has irreparably damaged the discourse in the country, insulted our allies and cozied up to dictators, brought about the rise of fake news, and jailed young children and separated them from their parents, which is absolutely horrible and he's a disgusting person with no morals. He's clearly a worse person than Bush. But Bush is a legit war criminal who lied to the entire world and destabilized an entire region for a generation, all because Saddam tried to kill his dad. He also began the GOP's march toward this authoritarian police state the US is moving to, and for as bad as Puerto Rico is, Katrina was worse and that was an official state instead of a territory. And he tanked the global economy and signed off on torture. It's close, but I still think Bush is worse. Trump is horrible but he's incompetent, and aside from the children (which is abhorrent) most of his shit has just been his words. Bush was able to put up a facade while his cabinet actually did truly heinous shit year in and year out
Yeah, my US history book had a STRONG bias towards the Confederacy, teacher included. He tried to get us to buy into the idea that it was a war over states' rights.
Never forget
textbook-caption.png

That's mad, even my secondary school history class covered America and Irish history up to 1990.

But eventually even US curriculums will have to cover him, even if it's not in our lifetimes.
And it wasn't even like I grew up in bumfuck nowhere where they actively do everything they can to hamper education. I grew up in an affluent middle class neighborhood, it's just the curriculum was heavily weighted toward America's founding and rise to the world's superpower that there wasn't enough time in the year to cover recent things. It's why the GOP was able to lionize Reagan, since we only really learned about him from the mainstream image of him rehabilitating America after Nixon's disgrace and Carter's ineffectiveness. Shining city on a hill and all that

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Well Trump has irreparably damaged the discourse in the country, insulted our allies and cozied up to dictators, brought about the rise of fake news, and jailed young children and separated them from their parents, which is absolutely horrible and he's a disgusting person with no morals. He's clearly a worse person than Bush. But Bush is a legit war criminal who lied to the entire world and destabilized an entire region for a generation, all because Saddam tried to kill his dad. He also began the GOP's march toward this authoritarian police state the US is moving to, and for as bad as Puerto Rico is, Katrina was worse and that was an official state instead of a territory. And he tanked the global economy and signed off on torture. It's close, but I still think Bush is worse. Trump is horrible but he's incompetent, and aside from the children (which is abhorrent) most of his shit has just been his words. Bush was able to put up a facade while his cabinet actually did truly heinous shit year in and year out

On top of what you've mentioned, he's disavowing the death of literally thousands of people. Bush and Trump can both be the worst.

Runner

Nov 1, 2017
It will be impossible to explain it and it has made me wonder how many historical rulers we also get completely wrong. You read about a roman emperor and it'll have a few lines about their character and then goes into their actions, but he might've been completely nuts and senile like this one and we'll never know.
Atleast we have footage now, but almost like you can't capture vanilla WoW even if you boot it up today, you won't be able to capture the everyday social media insanity.

we DO know about Caligula so sometimes things do make their way into history as written

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Edit: removed quote
I suggested this in that thread, as a joke of course (I see you Secret Service): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scaphism
On top of what you've mentioned, he's disavowing the death of literally thousands of people. Bush and Trump can both be the worst.
Well, if we want to go that route, we might as well state that every Republican President for the last several decades have been on par for being absolute immoral monsters serving their own wants and not those of the American people, though H.W. might be a little better than Trump, Bush Jr, or Reagan.

Interesting thing, I only remember the Gulf War when it comes to H.W.

Last edited:

Deleted member 22476

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Domestically, Blair was easily the best Prime Minister of my lifetime. It's not even slightly close.

It's a shame he's a disgusting war criminal on top of that.

Well he managed to do a lot to patch up the north here. Which is domestic technically, but not really (don't tell the unionists I said that). It's also the main reason Bill and Hillary Clinton are revered in Ireland too, as it happens.

NO NEW TAXES!

Edit: More taxes.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8245

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Removed cuz I'm having a bad day and this shit makes me angry to the point of saying things I'll end up regretting and I don't need to shit on this thread.

Last edited:

Hindl

Oct 25, 2017
I suggested this in that thread, as a joke of course (I see you Secret Service): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scaphism

Well, if we want to go that route, we might as well state that every Republican President for the last several decades have been on par for being absolute immoral monsters serving their own wants and not those of the American people, though H.W. might be a little better than Trump, Bush Jr, or Reagan.

In the grand scheme of things HW was pretty good. He was the last honorable Republican president He raised taxes when he had to even though it goes against everything conservatives stand for, the Gulf War was justified due to Iraq's annexation of Kuwait, and I can't remember anything truly terrible, although I could be missing something. He did let Reagan and everyone off the hook for Iran-Contra, which is a huge minus against him though

Deleted member 22476

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The more I know of Dan the more honest he seems. Some of the back and forth on Panning the Stream is pretty illustrative of who he is in particular.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
NO NEW TAXES!

Oh right.
In the grand scheme of things HW was pretty good. He was the last honorable Republican president He raised taxes when he had to even though it goes against everything conservatives stand for, the Gulf War was justified due to Iraq's annexation of Kuwait, and I can't remember anything truly terrible, although I could be missing something. He did let Reagan and everyone off the hook for Iran-Contra, which is a huge minus against him though
Yeah, I couldn't think of anything else either. I will say that the GOP at the time were some truly batshit people tho. Fuck Newt Gingrich.

May 5, 2018
What is going on with the front page right now. Its showing Breakfast N' Ben as the thumbnail but the real video links to yesterday's play date. Also when I click "Join Chat" it leads to "There's currently no show".

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
What is going on with the front page right now. Its showing Breakfast N' Ben as the thumbnail but the real video links to yesterday's play date. Also when I click "Join Chat" it leads to "There's currently no show".
I think the site is having some issues. For the past couple days I get a "server not found" issue when trying to go there, before it randomly works.

Veggen

Oct 25, 2017
i may turn out to have been politically worth it to ensure republicans don't have power and influence for like a decade after this (fucked if i know if that's how it will turn out, though it seems kind of likely) but i kinda feel like the office of american president has lost its weird semi-mythic power and cultural capital on the world stage

turns out it's just a man and can be played by any fucking imbecile on the planet, go figure

like who was the worst before this in modern history? nixon? they could never rehabilitate him, but he's now sold as a conniving bastard of a president. which is an improvement on trump
Probably Harding. Reading about the Teapot Dome scandal and it's a better analogy to what's going on now, compared to the Watergate scandal.

NO NEW TAXES!

I see you are a lip reader as well.

Last edited:

justjim89

Nov 16, 2017
Where is this Dan candle story?

Also, it's been weird playing through Divinity: OS2 and Dragon Quest 11 at the same time, because Divinity is so unforgiving and flexible and Dragon Quest is basically baby's first JRPG. They're both great games, just pretty much polar opposites.

Hindl

Oct 25, 2017
Where is this Dan candle story?

Also, it's been weird playing through Divinity: OS2 and Dragon Quest 11 at the same time, because Divinity is so unforgiving and flexible and Dragon Quest is basically baby's first JRPG. They're both great games, just pretty much polar opposites.
It's on the Trials/Besiege playdate. Basically it was Dan's wife's birthday, so he got a small slice of carrot cake for her. He loaded it up with like 30 candles and thought they burned slow like Yankee candles. So he lit them all when she was walking home from work, and naturally they all started burning quickly, melting wax all over the cake and all the little flames joined together into a big flame. He also happened to set this big flaming cake down below a vase of flowers, so naturally it started lighting and he tried to blow out the candles, which sent embers everywhere. He nearly had to get a fire extinguisher but handled it himself

Definitely watch tho, if only to see Alex while he's telling the story

Edit: 27:25 is the timestamp for the story

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
It will be impossible to explain it and it has made me wonder how many historical rulers we also get completely wrong. You read about a roman emperor and it'll have a few lines about their character and then goes into their actions, but he might've been completely nuts and senile like this one and we'll never know.
Atleast we have footage now, but almost like you can't capture vanilla WoW even if you boot it up today, you won't be able to capture the everyday social media insanity.

I mean that kind of surface level history has always been such a small snapshot of what's happened, and maybe not even an accurate one, and the hope is that people are trying to portray it as accurately as possible and checking their assumptions, but...

and... there's a big part of me - and maybe this is just coming to mind more because of some stuff I've dealt with the past few days - that worries about how the internet, or even just stuff like emails/texting, has made things even more ephemeral and unclear; there's obviously infinite amounts of communication happening that would have never happened before, but also many little and surprisingly important things in so many little communities that will never be recorded or will be remembered falsely because there was instant revisionism that spread

Status
Not open for further replies.