• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do YOU want the next OT title to be?

• I Farted Into Heaven

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • Old Man Pecker

Votes: 116 43.1%
  • Dinosaurs Aren't Real

Votes: 113 42.0%
  • I AM A STRONG MAN

Votes: 12 4.5%
  • Justin is Having a Sick Wet Dream

Votes: 11 4.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
Is anyone else bothered by Jeff's frequent usage of "tremendous"? Trump has completely ruined that word for me.
I can't even listen to the Bombcast anymore. I just tried this weeks episode and I just can't... Jason seemed really excited about Concrete Genie, and Brad almost immediately takes it all away.. And to be fair to Brad, his criticism are probably valid, even though some of it appeared to be second hand, but it still came across a extremely jaded to me. I had to turn it off when the entire team decided to take a collective shit on the Donkey Kong County games, saying that their controls aren't as tight as Mario game for instance. If an entire group of video game critics can't recognize that Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze is an incredibly tight controlling platformer, then you have to ask yourself if any of their opinions are even worth a damn.

As far as I'm concerned Giant Bomb East is the only part of Giant Bomb that's still worthwhile. Giant Bomb West has simply become a sad and empty husk of its former self.
Both coasts have been kind of mediocre lately. East doesn't put out good video content anymore and neither does West. The only thing I really like on the West coast is Business Dave's top ten. At this point I'm more into the GB-adjacent stuff like Waypoint, No Clip and Shift-F1. The occasional Power Bombcast is also nice.

JohnnyToonami

Dec 16, 2018
Earth
If Ocelot can train some random person to be as good as Big Boss in MGS V, then what's the point of Les Enfants Terribles and why didn't Ocelot just make an army of nothing but Big Bosses?

Wasn't Venom, Big Boss's lieutenant and the best soldier in MSF outside of Big Boss himself? I'd also say that Venom was nowhere near as good a soldier as any of the LEF kids or BB himself if you're going by in game stuff.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate you don't think mocking the death of someone who passed away mere days ago, in the manner of some dick in a toxic Dota chat, after the topic was raised as a serious news item on one of the world's biggest gaming podcasts, is pretty fucked up. I do though, so yeah, opinions.

I don't think the intent was to mock.

Either you're actually dense or you're playing dense if you don't associate "lock her up," a feature of Trump rallies since 2016, with (to be charitable) edgy bullshit or (less charitably) Trumpist dog-whistling.

In either case, Ben should have known better, and I'd probably be less irked if he had just said, "Oops, my bad. I'll try to do better next time."

...I'm not contesting that "lock her up" has a Trump association.

The point is that I don't associate joking about it with Trump; people have been channeling his ridiculousness toward humorous ends for some time now: lock her up, MAGA, fake news, sad (with an exclamation point), whatever else...it has never struck me as terrible form to use those terms in a joke-y manner.

Again: maybe I'm missing something, because I genuinely don't understand where you're coming from here.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
That joke was bad. Making jokes after someone says someone died is in poor taste. Ben has the annoying habit of trying to insert jokes every where but there's a limit.

Regarding the Blizzard stuff I think condemning them is right but expecting political commentary regarding the Chinese situation from a video game podcast doesn't make a lot of sense.

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
Watching the latest Grapes & Wrath and I am of the opinion that Giant Bomb should prerecord playthroughs in a bigger batch upfront or in quicker succession. Them always going "Wait, what's the controls? What happened last time? Where are we here? Where we going?" is getting kinda annoying.

Have yet to listen to the Bombcast but checked the timestamp posted earlier. Maybe don't do a joke when a person died that you didn't know or seemingly wasn't a terrible person.

The Blizzard stuff sounds expectable. I wonder how the reaction will be for Blizzcon. Will people bring posters in support for the Hong Kong protesters or will everything be forgotten once people see Diablo 4 and Overwatch's Man vs. Machines?

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I have to be honest not many of the recent shows have been hitting for me, the last one I genuinely enjoyed was 13 Deadly Sims. I honestly would really enjoy them just playing the games they enjoy regardless of when they came out, for example Brad playing more Doom has been good as he actually wants to be doing it. Unprofessional Fridays has always been my favourite show but the last few months other than Business Dave killing it has been pretty tough to stay awake for.

I like Ben but he just needs to not make a joke about everything that comes up.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
So for anyone here that plays Destiny 2, when can you expect some higher level gear.

I dont have the season pass, no Forsaken or Shadowkeep DLC...yet.

My Power Level is still 750 and all drops seem to be around that.

Teddified

Oct 25, 2017
if he just said king dedede finally got him or something it would had just been "ok". The gruesome part was not needed and in poor taste yes.

jakoo

Oct 27, 2017
I can't even listen to the Bombcast anymore. I just tried this weeks episode and I just can't... Jason seemed really excited about Concrete Genie, and Brad almost immediately takes it all away.. And to be fair to Brad, his criticism are probably valid, even though some of it appeared to be second hand, but it still came across a extremely jaded to me. I had to turn it off when the entire team decided to take a collective shit on the Donkey Kong County games, saying that their controls aren't as tight as Mario game for instance. If an entire group of video game critics can't recognize that Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze is an incredibly tight controlling platformer, then you have to ask yourself if any of their opinions are even worth a damn.

Yeah my eyebrows raised when he was basically saying "I read the Polygon review and xyz" when he literally could defer to his own staff member on the podcast that is actually playing the game. The industry hivemind where people outsource their opinions to other outlets get tiresome.

Han Seoul-Oh

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Wasn't Venom, Big Boss's lieutenant and the best soldier in MSF outside of Big Boss himself? I'd also say that Venom was nowhere near as good a soldier as any of the LEF kids or BB himself if you're going by in game stuff.

I though Venom was just a medic, and even if he wasn't as good as either kid a whole army of almost Big Bosses would be far better then both.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Oh no... Ticket to Earth is a Landscape game.... They need to put in a warning about that in the Play Store before I buy a game!

Seriously tho, the game looks rad so far!

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
...I'm not contesting that "lock her up" has a Trump association.

The point is that I don't associate joking about it with Trump; people have been channeling his ridiculousness toward humorous ends for some time now: lock her up, MAGA, fake news, sad (with an exclamation point), whatever else...it has never struck me as terrible form to use those terms in a joke-y manner.

Again: maybe I'm missing something, because I genuinely don't understand where you're coming from here.

Joking or not, it's associated with Trump. Which, again, brings to question to what end is Ben using that particular joke? Is he dog-whistling, or is he trying to edgy? Why pull that reference out of the air?

But I'll note your lack of understanding when he busts out a "Grab her by the pussy" joke if he jokes about oh, I don't know, Mei or Lara Croft.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
In all the flurry of comments about the Bombcast, nobody scoffed at Brad being scared shitless of -30F(-35C)?

You don't even know, Brad.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yeahhhh (though this has less of an impact as who knows what a sour patch kid actually is, to be fair that will be answered in the episode...)

Deleted member 5322

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Joking or not, it's associated with Trump. Which, again, brings to question to what end is Ben using that particular joke? Is he dog-whistling, or is he trying to edgy? Why pull that reference out of the air?

But I'll note your lack of understanding when he busts out a "Grab her by the pussy" joke if he jokes about oh, I don't know, Mei or Lara Croft.
this is such a ludicrously bad faith take I cannot even fathom how you would come to this conclusion

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017

OK, I've been trying to stay out of this but if you're seriously suggesting that Ben is secretly pro-Trump and is dog-whistling then you need step out and take a couple of deep breaths.

One look at his Twitter feed would show that this isn't the case. He just makes bad jokes sometimes.

Oct 25, 2017

Are we now at the point where we make up something outrageous about Ben? What the hell is this post...

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017

where to even start with this

the "is Ben dogwhistling to Trump supporters, dunno, just asking questions" thing?

the ridiculous pretense that it's unimaginable how such a reference could come to mind in a world where Trump is in our heads 24/7 and Trump references are everywhere?

the comparison between making a "lock her up" reference in a context so amorphous you apparently have no idea what to do with it and making a "grab her by the pussy" reference in a context in which the joke would specifically be about sexually assaulting this or that female character?

perhaps we should, uh, agree to disagree

Last edited:

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OK, I've been trying to stay out of this but if you're seriously suggesting that Ben is secretly pro-Trump and is dog-whistling then you need step out and take a couple of deep breaths.

One look at his Twitter feed would show that this isn't the case. He just makes bad jokes sometimes.
I'm saying you make that reference for one of two reasons: he's dog-whistling or he's trying to be edgy. Saying "he just makes bad jokes sometimes" doesn't release him from acknowledging that it was a bad joke with really, really unfortunate connotations because he was trying to be edgy and own trying to do better next time.

Oct 27, 2017

you're going a bit too far with this tbh. it's a shitty joke and ben makes shitty edgy jokes.

Deleted member 5322

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't save my good faith for people pulling out Trump rally chant references in 2019.
It was clearly meant in jest. I thought it was funny. It's wholly possible to employ rhetoric used by unsavory types for comedic purposes. You've been in here bitching and moaning about pedantic shit for the last few weeks and it's clear you have zero reverence for this website and the people on it. If you actually cared that much about this topic you could just, like, tell him you thought it was shitty. He's probably not that hard to reach.

JohnnyToonami

Dec 16, 2018
Earth

Ben's just being an idiot and trying to be funny, nothing more. You thinking he's secretly pro-Trump is ridiculous.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
you're going a bit too far with this tbh. it's a shitty joke and ben makes shitty edgy jokes.
That's fine. He's been making shitty edgy jokes for ages. I don't think it's too much to ask for to ask him to try to do better.

It was clearly meant in jest. I thought it was funny. It's wholly possible to employ rhetoric used by unsavory types for comedic purposes. You've been in here bitching and moaning about pedantic shit for the last few weeks and it's clear you have zero reverence for this website and the people on it. If you actually cared that much about this topic you could just, like, tell him you thought it was shitty. He's probably not that hard to reach.
Let me repent my sins to Big Jeff and Papa Vinny then.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017

like... listen dude, I can agree that it's not a good joke to make, it's needlessly uncomfortable and reeks of just saying anything without thinking through how it comes across

but if you seriously think that Ben secretly supports Trump or something, which would stand against like... literally anything he's ever indicated about his politics or beliefs, that's reaching so far that it's effectively made in bad faith

EDIT:
this is to say there's a third option you're missing, which is "playing off a phrase that's been burnt into your brain without thinking about why it's there"; in this case that is just, let's say, possibly irresponsible rather than intentionally being edgy

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So for anyone here that plays Destiny 2, when can you expect some higher level gear.

Most of your drops (if not all) should be above 750. The actual "powerful" engram drops won't start until you hit the 900 soft cap. I'm pretty sure that doesn't change if you don't own Shadowkeep (though I don't know for sure). Just check the blue drops you are receiving and if they are higher, keep them. You should level up pretty quickly.

Teddified

Oct 25, 2017
hmm maybe people don't like bens bad jokes because all we do is make bad jokes here and he just reminds us of ourselves. 🤔

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
"Lock her up" as a joke is definitely in poor taste, but I'd be legitimately shocked if anyone working at GB supports the current US President.

Oct 27, 2017

that doesn't make sense. when i started a new character and just played stuff, all the drops were progressively higher level. i'm at like 840 or something right now.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Watching the latest Grapes & Wrath and I am of the opinion that Giant Bomb should prerecord playthroughs in a bigger batch upfront or in quicker succession. Them always going "Wait, what's the controls? What happened last time? Where are we here? Where we going?" is getting kinda annoying.

I've noticed this with other streamers and it's a bit of a pet peeve for me. You basically have to stick to doing one session a week at minimum.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ben's just being an idiot and trying to be funny, nothing more. You thinking he's secretly pro-Trump is ridiculous.

like... listen dude, I can agree that it's not a good joke to make, it's needlessly uncomfortable and reeks of just saying anything without thinking through how it comes across

but if you seriously think that Ben secretly supports Trump or something, which would stand against like... literally anything he's ever indicated about his politics or beliefs, that's reaching so far that it's effectively made in bad faith

I think most of you are missing the second half of the conditional statements I'm making, so I'll try to lay it out more clearly.

There are, to me, two reasons a person in media would make a Trump reference in 2019. The first is to make a shitty edgy joke. The second is to dog-whistle to Trump supporters.

Ben made a shitty "lock her up" joke. He frequently makes shitty, edgy jokes, and it's as tiresome as you're probably finding me right now since I'm not properly revering Giant Bomb. For once, for this particularly shitty joke, I would have liked to see him own that he made a shitty, edgy joke about a sensitive thing (to put it mildly) and try to do better next time. But, as usual, we get silence from Ben about it because why would he acknowledge it when no one else seems terribly bothered by it?

In the absence of knowledge, there can only be speculation. Do I think that Ben Pack is actually a Trump voter? I don't think he is; after all, he signals by retweeting Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, right. However, I personally don't save my good faith for people who think that making Trump references in 2019 is cool, edgy, or funny, and I'll side-eye anyone who does.

EDIT:
this is to say there's a third option you're missing, which is "playing off a phrase that's been burnt into your brain without thinking about why it's there"; in this case that is just, let's say, possibly irresponsible rather than intentionally being edgy

Then he's being thoughtless about the things that he says, which again, I would have liked to see him own and try to do better next time. Instead, we get another shitty, edgy joke, this time about John J. Kirby's death.

Status
Not open for further replies.