• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Different camera shots are out of sync and mic levels are all over the place.
Well at least it's not me, I guess.

Enjoyed the vid a lot, but it did come in really hot.
For me it seemed like everyone was mic'd up, but only two or three peoples mics were on at a time.
I noticed that and was actually wondering if they had a max number of mics they could have hooked up at once, given their setup.

(I dunno how they work.)

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
I find it hilarious that Dan didnt even catch that Nero is Vergils son but I guess he just really wasn't paying attention at all when playing the game which is fine but he shouldn't say the story is incoherent when he couldn't pay attention to the important cutscenes.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I totally get why people would not be interested in three days' worth of year recap, but as someone who no longer has the time to listen to the weekly podcast (my work life is now busy enough that podcasts have almost completely dropped out of my office soundtrack), I'm a big fan of having a nice summary of all the significant games the crew has played. I don't know what they can do to make everyone happy and I think they've probably taken the stance internally that it's impossible.

Janina's list: *chef's kiss*

chubigans' list: I stopped buying board games for the most part when I realized my friends and I rarely find the time and venue to break out a neat new game, but the one-two punch of Tokyo Highways and Qualitative Easing have me second-guessing myself. Also, if you're reading this chubigans, just take the plunge and switch to Hard in Death Stranding! It's not that much harder, you can always turn the difficulty down for any combat sections you hate, and you gotta get them LLs by your name man!

Jan's list: no Alcremie??!? HOW DARE YOU SIR but Falinks is genuinely awesome okay you're cool. Also it's weird and lovely to actually have an opinion on a new generation of Pokemon at the same time everyone else is forming theirs for the first time in my life!

Alex Zandra's list: that's a really good writeup of Sayonara Wild Hearts that reminds me that I also got a little emotional when I finished the game, and oh yeah that's why I liked it.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
GB Feud:
what is GB known for.

I guess not QL and podcast.
chat might as well put :plur

Oct 25, 2017
They had hella (sorry) guest lists in recent years. Like 80 oder something? One of the best parts of GotY by now tbh

They have Janina Gavankar's list right next to Igarashi's. It's beautiful.

Last edited:

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
These recap days are like a clip show episode in an anime when really we came here for the fights.

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
Did they keep the GOTY structure and talking about EVERY game before doing the proper GOTY stuff like they used last year? I felt like that was a big step back and got boring imo.

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017
This format again... It's makes for such uninteresting podcasting. It's like watching a clip show episode of a sitcom. We've listened to these discussions before

Bersi

Oct 25, 2017
Dan not realizing that Vergil is Nero's father despite having finished DMCV is just classic Dan.

Folie

Dec 16, 2017
I don't really get Jeff's argument on his blog about the old format being done. They're still presumably going to be doing a lot of the same awards (music, styyyyyle, etc), but just spending less time on them.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I think Jeff's reasoning behind the new format is sound - especially since there are so many more people in the discussions now.
But it's such a boring format - and there's going to be three days of it this year? This is the first time I won't be listening to all of their GotY content. Practically fell asleep during today's video.

The Giant Bomb Feud video was fun, even if there were technical issues. I especially enjoyed their confusion over what people actually associate with the site.
It really highlighted how much I dislike the "new" studio setup in GB West though; having gone from a laid-back and colorful setup with the couches where guests would drop in, to a dark hole with a giant newscaster desk.

gbw-studio-1-gtjv1.jpg
gbw-studio-2-8aj1o.jpg

gbw-studio-3-jcjgo.jpg

I have issues with a lot of GBW's content beyond that, but it's symbolic of them. Barely watch anything from GBW these days.

OP
OP
Death Metalist
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait ⇄ Leeds, England
Great day 1 discussions all around. Highlight is KH3 with Mortal Kombat 11 and Jump Force as follow ups. Bless Ben for lifting Sekiro as much as he could have, it'll get cut if he doesn't go to bat for it once the list comes around. Vinny's kids not really liking the new Yoshi game made me laugh.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
I think Jeff's reasoning behind the new format is sound - especially since there are so many more people in the discussions now.
But it's such a boring format - and there's going to be three days of it this year? This is the first time I won't be listening to all of their GotY content. Practically fell asleep during today's video.

The Giant Bomb Feud video was fun, even if there were technical issues. I especially enjoyed their confusion over what people actually associate with the site.
It really highlighted how much I dislike the "new" studio setup in GB West though; having gone from a laid-back and colorful setup with the couches where guests would drop in, to a dark hole with a giant newscaster desk.

gbw-studio-1-gtjv1.jpg
gbw-studio-2-8aj1o.jpg

gbw-studio-3-jcjgo.jpg

I have issues with a lot of GBW's content beyond that, but it's symbolic of them. Barely watch anything from GBW these days.

yeah dropping the couch setup suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018

gbw-studio-1-gtjv1.jpg
gbw-studio-2-8aj1o.jpg

gbw-studio-3-jcjgo.jpg

Yeah, this has also been disappointing.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

gbw-studio-1-gtjv1.jpg
gbw-studio-2-8aj1o.jpg

gbw-studio-3-jcjgo.jpg

Damn those couch photos are so festive and bright :(

Fleet of Foot

Oct 27, 2017
Springboro, OH
It's hard to complain because I fee like I know these people, and I like them. I don't want them to feel down about all the work they did on this.

At the same time, this format is just boring. It almost feels like a punishment to their most devoted fans - the ones who listen every week and have heard these discussions before.

it's their own fault for setting such a high bar in years past.

lazybones18

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I was so focused on other things, I completely forgot about GB and their 2019 deliberations. These next couple of days should have a great batch of content worth viewing

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
I mean it's fundamentally different from their talks of the games in the regular poddies because it's the first time everyone actually had a chance to talk about the games as a group.

OP
OP
Death Metalist
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait ⇄ Leeds, England
I mean it's fundamentally different from their talks of the games in the regular poddies because it's the first time everyone actually had a chance to talk about the games as a group.
Also, you get a chance to hear more form others who have probably never finished a game before but managed to finish it or at least get pretty far by the time they're recording for GOTY.

Oct 27, 2017

gbw-studio-1-gtjv1.jpg
gbw-studio-2-8aj1o.jpg

gbw-studio-3-jcjgo.jpg

I never thought about it but man the old layout was so much more enjoyable. I like the lighting on the new set but old set was way better.

iiicon

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Ben really went to bat for Sekiro but nobody else was picking up what he was putting down. Shame.

Ben's gotten really good over the year at comprehensively explaining what appeals to him about certain games. He had a similar moment with Disco Elysium a couple weeks ago, and I think he's done the same any time Apex comes up.

OP
OP
Death Metalist
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait ⇄ Leeds, England
Ben really went to bat for Sekiro but nobody else was picking up what he was putting down. Shame.

Ben's gotten really good over the year at comprehensively explaining what appeals to him about certain games. He had a similar moment with Disco Elysium a couple weeks ago, and I think he's done the same any time Apex comes up.
Ben really shines during the GOTY discussions in general.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It bums me out, but i'm also part of the group that dislikes this format. I used to really look forward to GotY and the days of arguments, discussions, weird politics and alliances. It was a big extravaganza and a blast. Now there's a lot less of that since the first 3 days are just going over the games of the year which I find far, far less interesting. I tune in for the games I care about, but for the most part it's just background noise to me. I guess Jeff has his reasons, but i'll remain a bit bummed that one of my favorite parts of the year has been significantly reduced.

It just ain't the same with them together and reacting/bouncing off of each other immediately. I mean the internet gets the job done, but it just ain't the same. Then again, I feel I'm one of the few who actually watches the videos lol.

My Brother, My Brother and Me is recorded over the internet and is hilarious. They can manage to do what is essentially a comedy podcast despite being on the internet, and comedy is something that is way more sensitive to not being in the same room as the others. It's not that big of an issue these days.