• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I sort of skipped through it (don't really like his review style) but does he ever concretely say if it is laggy or just FEELS laggy to him? this does give me some pause considering that this is running on the same engine as the Capcom Arcade Stadium which does have around 5 frames of lag on average for many of the games iirc.

also, when does the OT go up?
He doesn't mention the frames of lag but he mentions it sometimes feels like you're being held back. It's a bit worrying as he's a big fan of the old games and has no complaints about the jumping in those.

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019
I think I'll just replay super ghouls and ghosts in spirit of this release.

Maaayble I'll give it a shot, I'm really not a fan of the art style, though.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
The SNES game has horrific slowdown and it's still a masterpiece, even today. An occasional framerate issue won't kill a game.
Yup, exactly what I was thinking. I'd rather have perfect performance but Super GnG runs in slo mo quite a bit so if there's rare dips in this I wont be that sad. Now if it has constant FPS issues (like a certain Capcom collection released recently), that will annoy me greatly.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yup, exactly what I was thinking. I'd rather have perfect performance but Super GnG runs in slo mo quite a bit so if there's rare dips in this I wont be that sad. Now if it has constant FPS issues (like a certain Capcom collection released recently), that will annoy me greatly.
I've seen a decent bit of footage and it was smooth and gorgeous. I'm pretty confident this game performs waaaaay better than Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts!

I think performance talk is warranted and helpful, but I'd miss out on so many great games if I cared about framerate as much as some people here.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
He doesn't mention the frames of lag but he mentions it sometimes feels like you're being held back. It's a bit worrying as he's a big fan of the old games and has no complaints about the jumping in those.

yeah, i get that but, sometimes, it can be familiarity with a game-- you know? i think most people that have played super gng, for example, know how to work against (or even use to their advantage) the slowdown of that game.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen a decent bit of footage and it was smooth and gorgeous. I'm pretty confident this game performs waaaaay better than Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts!
Yeah, I've seen some footage with some drops but nothing long severe, I'm not all that concerned. As for talk of laggy controls, I doubt I'll notice (I rarely do), GnG has always been "heavier" in feel to other platformers so I reckon I'll be fine with this. I got it pre loaded already and cant wait to give it a try this week.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
Didn't enjoy the Nintendo Life review to be honest. It felt scattershot and overwritten in place. It lurched from point to point with more words than required throughout.

No one talks about games using the language used in that review.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
That Gamespot score is whack. Instead of giving the review of the game, the score instead reflects the reviewers taste instead. How does that work?

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
That Gamespot score is whack. Instead of giving the review of the game, the score instead reflects the reviewers taste instead. How does that work?

Reviews are not meant to be objective. They should be taken as an assessment of how much that reviewer likes that game. It's why reading the text to understand why a game wasn't liked is also important cause it might say the game actually is for you.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Ign video review actually made the art style look pretty appealing and the environments super diverse.

Definitely picking this up to support the franchise tho those shadow versions of levels reminded me of Mega Man X6 *shudder*

Replicant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Uncharacteristically negative review from Johnny. Honestly a lot of his complaints seem really nitpicky to me, but the controls part worries me a bit. We'll see
He is usually positive, but I feel he is a bit gatekeeping here. It's not the game he wanted and that says more about the review than the game itself.

Replicant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Reviews are not meant to be objective. They should be taken as an assessment of how much that reviewer likes that game. It's why reading the text to understand why a game wasn't liked is also important cause it might say the game actually is for you.
If reviews were solely based on a reviewers taste in games, reviews would be all over the place. You can't compare it favorably with the ghouls and ghost games of the past which are highly regarded and then say it's not something I really wanted to go back to though. Someone else should have reviewed it then.

maybe it's just me, but reviews should reflect the quality of the game, not what your personal tastes are.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He is usually positive, but I feel he is a bit gatekeeping here. It's not the game he wanted and that says more about the review than the game itself.
Yeah, the problem with a series like GnG is it's a series from a very different era and it hasn't seen an entry in a VERY long time. So certain longtime fans are going to have very specific feelings and needs and for those fans, a new game will be extremely difficult for them to accept, even if it's good. His silence on this game since its reveal made it very clear to me he wasn't going to enjoy it.

Replicant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Yeah, the problem with a series like GnG is it's a series from a very different era and it hasn't seen an entry in a VERY long time. So certain longtime fans are going to have very specific feelings and needs and for those fans, a new game will be extremely difficult for them to accept, even if it's good. His silence on this game since its reveal made it very clear to me he wasn't going to enjoy it.
A lot of that YouTube community were diehard against the game since it was first shown. They failed on the graphic style and said the game looked like it would control bad without even touching it.

B. Spaceman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Spain

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH

i'm honestly sort of baffled by a lot of the reception to the announcement from long time fans. i don't remember people reacting like this over the graphics of Ultimate when it doesn't look NEARLY as good as this does?

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
That gamespot review kinda resonated with me, thinking I'd probably have a miserable time playing this

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He says he could forgive the game if it controlled well, which he says it doesn't. I don't see how he's gatekeeping.
It's weird, because I haven't seen control complaints anywhere else. It's possible it controls a bit differently than the older games and that's tripping him up. Or maybe the game genuinely has poor controls, but it's odd that isn't being addressed anywhere else.
i'm honestly sort of baffled by a lot of the reception to the announcement from long time fans. i don't remember people reacting like this over the graphics of Ultimate when it doesn't look NEARLY as good as this does?
Reaction to that game probably would have been far worse in today's climate. Personally, I've always found the PSP game kind of ugly, but I still really enjoyed it.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
That GameStop comment and score combo makes no sense at all to me but eh

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe expectations are higher now for classic franchises. Sonic Mania and Ninja Saviors happened and it would be nice for many fans to have other series do something like that instead of trying out polarizing new styles.

Jul 18, 2020
That gamespot review kinda resonated with me, thinking I'd probably have a miserable time playing this

Honestly the review is fine, but it makes me hate scores even more. Putting a number to that text just doesn't make sense, it's one case where a more binary system like recommended or not recommended would make more sense.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Maybe expectations are higher now for classic franchises. Sonic Mania and Ninja Saviors happened and it would be nice for many fans to have other series do something like that instead of trying out polarizing new styles.

Yeah, I also get that too (Capcom did it with MM9/MM10 too, the trailblazers for retro-revivals in a lot of ways) but I really don't think the style is TOO different from, say, the Famicom Makaimura box art (how many times have I brought this up????).

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
If reviews were solely based on a reviewers taste in games, reviews would be all over the place. You can't compare it favorably with the ghouls and ghost games of the past which are highly regarded and then say it's not something I really wanted to go back to though. Someone else should have reviewed it then.

maybe it's just me, but reviews should reflect the quality of the game, not what your personal tastes are.
A lot of that YouTube community were diehard against the game since it was first shown. They failed on the graphic style and said the game looked like it would control bad without even touching it.
I've quoted both of these to try and illustrate a point. People buying the game have different tastes too. There are going to be diehard fans that would agree with Johnny. A review they can read to give them a heads up on how they'll feel about the game absolutely has value.

Same for the Gamespot review. There'll be people that enjoyed the old games *at the time* that won't enjoy them now for various reasons. If someone knows they have similar tastes to that reviewer, that review has value to them. Some games aren't for everyone, this is such a game. If reviews all come from people that have tastes that align with this game, you're going to mislead a lot of people into a purchase they'll regret.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Only Capcom game I remember getting graphics complaints in the PSP era was Mega Man Powered Up, for the Chibi style. I legit dont remember any sort of reactions to Ultimate GnG at all one way or the other :(
I do remember the day I brought that game though, good times! Though the whole gold rings thing annoyed the heck out of me more than any other GnG game could (I can deal with difficulty, but please no hidden collectibles!). That's why I sing Ultimate GnG Kai's praises whenever I can - I vastly prefer how that remixed the game into a better game (for me).

Obi Wan Jabroni

alt account
Banned
Dec 14, 2020
Unless it was utter trash, there was no way I wasn't going to nab this.

Too many fond memories of the originals.

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I also get that too (Capcom did it with MM9/MM10 too, the trailblazers for retro-revivals in a lot of ways) but I really don't think the style is TOO different from, say, the Famicom Makaimura box art (how many times have I brought this up????).
I think it's more the paper-y look than the actual designs that turns people off. I'm not thrilled about the new game's appearance but at least it's not bland like New Super Mario Bros..

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I quite liked Powered Up at the time despite, uh, Oil Man's design...
Oil Man's design (and fight against Fire Man on hardest difficulty) aside, I adore Powered Up. The amount of content in that game is insane. Its still the top MM game for me in many respects due to the playable characters and level design. Its such a pity that it was one and done, because a Powered Up 2,3,4 etc. would have been amazing. Oh well, what could have been...

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017

6.5-7
Laggy controls
Not a fan of art style

I saw his review. Johnny is a mega hardcore fan and just listening to his review and he was coming with a lot of expectations based on the previous games.

I think I'll have an opposite take once I'm done.

Last edited:

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
You don't like Ghouls'n Ghosts? Why not? That game is wonderful and just as good as the SNES entry imo.

i think it's a much better game than Super GnG.

I think it's more the paper-y look than the actual designs that turns people off. I'm not thrilled about the new game's appearance but at least it's not bland like New Super Mario Bros..

NSMBW/U play better than virtually any other 2D Mario game so it's quite a trade-off in my opinion-- I wish it would have aesthetics closer to... say... the Super Mario World concept art.

Takuhi

Oct 27, 2017
Do any of the reviews go into detail about the music? That's what's going to swing it for me.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
I can respect different opinions, but it's clear whoever reviewed the game is not the target audience for this niche game.

You need someone who actually appreciates the original game I guess.
Yeah, some bizarre assignments. But could be that they have none on staff. GS staff is pretty young! We're old fogeys.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
The only control complaint I had was about the Pro Controller D-pad. Other than that, it played like how I expected.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
The only control complaint I had was about the Pro Controller D-pad. Other than that, it played like how I expected.
I honestly think it has to do with the frames of animation. This has more than the previous games so that makes it less responsive, but it's not laggy.

A good comparison (a Capcom one too) is Mega Man 8. That sprite is very well animated, but not as responsive as the 8bit sprite.

Does it mean MM8 sprite is laggy? No.

And it's only one reviewer saying this as well.