• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheAggroCraig

This guy are sick of the One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
I remember enjoying this game quite a bit back then, but I feel like the gameplay aged a bit... hopefully it holds up because I honestly don't remember.

Coconico

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
They are just going all-out on Ghostbusters this year! First Planet Coaster and now bringing this gem back!

The fact that they're only showing off the pre-rendered cutscenes for this announcement has me thinking this "remaster" will be more of an up-res, but the fact that the "real" Ghostbusters game is ending up on handheld is amazing.

Hulohot

Banned
Jan 1, 2019
The true Ghostbusters 3, really loved this and can't wait to experience this again with Harold Ramis' final portrayal of Egon.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Loved the game when I got it on Steam. My only disappointment was Sigorney Weaver not being available in time before her VA role was recast for Alyssa Milano, and the Ghostbusters theme not being in the game until a small snippet just before the end credits.

If you missed it last gen, definitely pick this up. It's solid, but don't expect GOTY material.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
If it's not absurdly priced, I'm in. It seems to have held up pretty well, seeing as it's not ultra realistic.

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't the general consensus that the Wii GB game was actually the better game? Too bad that wasn't included.

Vilifier

Oct 25, 2017
Loved the game when I got it on Steam. My only disappointment was Sigorney Weaver not being available in time before her VA role was recast for Alyssa Milano, and the Ghostbusters theme not being in the game until a small snippet just before the end credits.
I thought Sigourney Weaver declined the role due to believing the game would be a cheap cash in; but changed her mind too late into production when she found out Bill Murray had signed on.

I own the original on Steam but I might grab the Switch version just to have a physical copy.

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
I remember there was a lot of hype for this game about a decade ago, it was a decent game and I liked hearing the original Ghostbusters again in a brand new story.
It's a shame they weren't able to make a true Ghostbusters 3 film before Ramis passed away.

Nov 18, 2017
Totally triple dipping, but at the very least was hoping they'd include the scrapped parade stage since I believe all of the sound clips and a lot of data still exists in the game's code.

That would be amazing but I expect this is going to be an upres and little else. Bug fixes if we're lucky.

The scrapped level references Real Ghostbusters and features a Stay Puft / Vigo style mascot ghost:

images

Such a shame they cut it.

supkid

Oct 29, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
Sony owns the film rights to Ghostbusters and Spider-Man, not for games. They did an exclusive partnership for Spider-Man PS4

Sony Pictures owns Ghostbusters completely. It's their IP, along with Dan Aykroyd's. They license it out to other companies for games.

They own ghostbusters and they license movie rights for Spider-Man from marvel.

Cheers! So they could license the IP from the movie wing basically?

I always found it weird that Sony Pictures and SIE didn't work more closely together when it comes to developing a shared universe across film and video games.. I'm not exactly advocating for exclusives or anything, but I think Insomniac or Sucker Punch could do a job with the Ghostbusters IP if given a chance.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Cheers! So they could license the IP from the movie wing basically?

I always found it weird that Sony Pictures and SIE didn't work more closely together when it comes to developing a shared universe across film and video games.. I'm not exactly advocating for exclusives or anything, but I think Insomniac or Sucker Punch could do a job with the Ghostbusters IP if given a chance.

Essentially, yes. I believe Activision or Atari used to hold the game rights to the franchise last gen, so some other publisher (including SIE) could theoretically license them again for a new game in the future.

Borman

Digital Games Curator at The Strong Museum
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
That would be amazing but I expect this is going to be an upres and little else. Bug fixes if we're lucky.

The scrapped level references Real Ghostbusters and features a Stay Puft / Vigo style mascot ghost:

images

Such a shame they cut it.

I have a pre-release version of the game, but sadly no (extra) remnants of the level exist beyond what was left in the retail.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
4k and stable framerate? Yes please! This was actually a good game and deserves a remaster. Who's making it?

Nov 18, 2017
I have a pre-release version of the game, but sadly no (extra) remnants of the level exist beyond what was left in the retail.

Dang. I wish they'd prioritised that level over some of the golem and graveyard stuff. I wanted that ghost adding to the canon.

At least the press release mentions 4K, texture and lighting improvements.

Last edited:

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
The fact that they're only showing off the pre-rendered cutscenes for this announcement has me thinking this "remaster" will be more of an up-res, but the fact that the "real" Ghostbusters game is ending up on handheld is amazing.

Are they just pre-rendered scenes? I could swear there were some in-engine cut scenes there as well.

The pre-rendered stuff looked so good in HD though. I think I'm all in on this one.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I still own the game on steam I guess - Never played through it. It felt very "Best of Ghostbusters" instead of Ghostbusters 3 - they re-treated a lot of familiar ground, gags and ideas in the first 2 hours. I have the movies for that, with people hyping the game up as GB3, I felt that this would be a continuation of the movies with lots of new stuff for the old guard.

But hey, good to have it back to buy.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
My Hail Mary dream feature would be split screen co-op added to the PS4/Xbox One versions. Basically, taking the online co-op modes and making them available offline and local.

Not expecting it, but that would make this an instant buy.