• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Carrie Coon is in this, I love her. She is a fantastic actress. I like Paul Rudd. So I have to see this, for Coon alone (who will probably have 3 lines in the whole movie). Not expecting much though.

Oct 25, 2017
They obviously went for a serious trailer because the biggest honest complaint about the last one was that it was only comedy

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm intrigued, even if the trailer didn't show a whole lot. Looks better than the last one at least.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
No. I wouldn't even mind still having teens or at least maybe 20 somethings, but still keeping the heart of ghostbusters. This feels like stranger things having a ghostbusters crossover episode, and the theming of the force awakens. You can do new stuff while also still keeping to the original.

I really don't see any connection to the Force Awakens. There have been movies about discovering lost legacies before the Force Awakens and there will be plenty afterward.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think I'd like it more if it had come a couple of years earlier. Nowadays this whole late sequel mixed with nostalgia has gotten a little old.

Paul Rudd: "It's true. All of it."

*Dramatic orchestral Ghostbuster theme plays*
lol, true. Particularly the second half of the trailer really reminded me of the force awaken trailers

Fletcher

Oct 25, 2017
Wait. Did Spengler have a kid? If he had a daughter after the events of GB2, how does she already have a teenage daughter?

Edit: I guess if he had a child immediately after events she would be 30. Could have had child at 18. 🤷‍♂️ But that kid would be 12 and Carrie Coon looks much older than 30.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't see any connection to the Force Awakens. There have been movies about discovering lost legacies before the Force Awakens and there will be plenty afterward.
There have been before, but it wasn't common before TFA. Either way I'm tired of that trend. 2049 and fury road didn't do that, yet were still sequels way later, not a rehash, but also not just about myths of the past.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
There have been before, but it wasn't common before TFA. Either way I'm tured of that trend. 2049 and fury road didn't do that, yet were still sequels way later, not a rehash, but also not just about myths of the past.

I think you're rampantly overthinking this. Harold Ramis is dead, they kind of have to find a way to introduce the new characters in a way that isn't just "THEY KNEW THE WHOLE TIME".

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I think you're rampantly overthinking this. Harold Ramis is dead, they kind of have to find a way to introduce the new characters in a way that isn't just "THEY KNEW THE WHOLE TIME".
Did they though? The other characters are still there. Why couldn't they already know and either already be ghostbusters, or maybe have it be that they never wanted to follow that legacy but got forced jnto it or something. Why did to have to be a long lost myth (which doesn't make sense) and they have a coming of age?

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, I'm not the biggest Ghostbusters fan (in the sense that I don't remember the characters' names, but I loved the first and the all-women one), but I really liked this trailer. I don't think the movie will be like Stranger Things and have a serious tone. It's just a trailer that's less than three minutes. They probably just wanted to introduce the new characters and what the mystery is. Give it room to breathe.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Doesn't really feel like a Ghostbusters film at all to me. Feels like a generic, 2019 ghost blockbuster that they retrofitted for Ghostbusters.

I never saw the 2016 one, but I just watched that trailer as well and would rather see that movie.

unknownspectator

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
"there hasn't been a ghost sighting in over 30 years."

lol. Seriously though, this looks good! I'm gonna give this one a chance.

Lupercal

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
That's horrible. For real? That makes his character look like a piece of shit. Why not just make his child a bit younger and take on this same role?
He's a man of science and social interaction was something he never truly mastered. I can see him becoming a father by donating his sperm to see if he/she would take on his genius.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Oh good, we have "THE LEAKS THE LEAKS, THIS INDICATES THE LEAKS" going for this movie too.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
"Wait, your parents never told you about the time the Statue of Liberty came to life and you never even like, googled it?"

lake

Oct 27, 2017
Too much setup, seriousness and grandiosity IMO. This trailer is banking on the viewer being enthused/intrigued about discovering long-hidden franchise lore... but said franchise is merely two comedies, not fuckin' Star Trek or Game of Thrones.

Looks like a real tonal shift, so far. Maybe it'll be good but it's not looking like the first two movies at all, yet.

Jul 18, 2018
Kid from stranger things .... Yea that's a no from me in theaters.

But going with kids just feels off, wish the characters were older, perhaps early 20s. Just seems half assed to have kids learning to use everything or learning about ghosts for first time etc

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
Just watched the trailer. I think this thread kind of proves how conditioned people are to demand cookie-cut fanservice.

The payoff of this film may miss, but I can't say they were actively pandering. I thought it was nice and gives the impression the franchise is willing to do something different, which it needs.

TheJollyCorner

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I feel like the first two worked on the backs of their main cast. Funny, weird, charming.

From this trailer this just feels charmless...? I dunno. Unless it gets strong reviews I'll wait to Redbox it.

efr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 19, 2019
Too much setup, seriousness and grandiosity IMO. This trailer is banking on the viewer being enthused/intrigued about discovering long-hidden franchise lore... but said franchise is merely two comedies, not fuckin' Star Trek or Game of Thrones.

Looks like a real tonal shift, so far. Maybe it'll be good but it's not looking like the first two movies at all, yet.
And the cartoons, and video games.
The leaks make this sound great, the trailer not so much.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the first two worked on the backs of their main cast. Funny, weird, charming.

From this trailer this just feels charmless...? I dunno. Unless it gets strong reviews I'll wait to Redbox it.

I think it's just the trailer. The trailer is trying so hard to make things about the mystery when what we want to see is the ESSENCE of the film.

Mystery trailers are never a good idea and I don't know why Hollywood is so obsessed with them (actually I do, it's so people will share articles on Facebook and discuss them on social media)

Turning Egon into a dead beat dad sure would be something.

Would it, though? Egon is not exactly the most socially well-adjusted person. He'd probably make a terrible dad. At least he's not experimenting on his kids the way he experiments on himself, though.

Bengraven