• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
The game was already updated to 4k/60 on the ps5 right? So what visual upgrades does this offer?
I think it was 1800p, but don't quote me in that. Now it's probably native 4K. So at the very least you are getting higher image quality.
What if I don't want said DLC, but want to play a better version of the game
You have no option.
only thing I can think of is that the lipsync animation-data was baked in or something like that and that they now switched to some realtime solution that works with English and Japanese. Which isnt that "impressive" because a lot of modern games do that.
Sure and someone else mentioned the possibility of a AI driven solution on PS5, which doesn't work on PS4. But in these cases SP could've recorded new cutscenes imo for the PS4.
So no standalone expansion? Just this Director's Cut version?
Hopefully at least you can transfer the save and auto pop all the base game trophies.
Saves can be transferred over.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
in an attempt to catch up have been throwing away $100s of millions in pro consumer moves like free upgrades to sway people
How much do you think a upgrade of a game costs? What you suggest here (100 millions) would cover the cost of developing a new AAA game. Besides many third party also provide free uprgades and they don't play catch-up to anybody.

We have to wait and see (for DF and/or actual footage), but from the sounds of it the PS5 upgrade doesn't sound like a huge upgrade that would move a needle financially when offering for free. There are other companies doing, much more enhancements to their versions for free.

At the end of the day these companies offer free upgrades, because they indirectly gain money from more legs for the game and the fact that consumers will be happy about the support provided. Thus maybe buying the next game earlier or buy DLC.

So I expect companies to do those enhancements for free. It's a different matter, when games are remade like Demon Souls. Completely understandable to ask for money in these cases.

Last edited:

Metro Cow

Nov 28, 2020
Even though I have a PS5 I honestly might just get the PS4 upgrade for the new island. I'm content already with how the game runs through back compat, I'm not fussed about haptics and I'd rather it didn't have to take up SSD space. The game loads super fast as it is.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The game already looks and runs amazing so I'm not really itching for a PS5 upgrade tbh, but I am very excited for the expansion so I'll buy the upgrade just for that. Might do a NG+ playthrough.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
What's actually disingenuous is saying FF7R has more upgrades when we barely know the specifics about the Ghost's Director's Cut.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
FF7R had more enhancements and you know it.
Stop while you're ahead because bruh this post is disingenuous as hell.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the Ghost update a framerate unlock?

FF7 free upgrade in comparison was very impressive.

My point was that Sucker Punch isn't charging anything extra for anything that matters (in my opinion)

RavenK92

Nov 3, 2020
I'll say it again for visibility's sake: how much did you have to pay for the Legends multiplayer expansion and 60fps upgrade? $0. $10 for PS5 upgrade and $20 for story expansion when you've already gotten a full well-beloved multiplayer expansion and 60fps mode for free is not a bad deal. How much free stuff do people think they're entitled to?

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
Bought it on PS4 but have yet to play it and I have a PS5. I'll gladly pay the upgrade fee to enjoy the expansion, haptics and those real time cutscenes.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I'll say it again for visibility's sake: how much did you have to pay for the Legends multiplayer expansion and 60fps upgrade? $0. $10 for PS5 upgrade and $20 for story expansion when you've already gotten a full well-beloved multiplayer expansion and 60fps mode for free is not a bad deal. How much free stuff do people think they're entitled to?

I think simply being able to pay $10 for the PS5 upgrade would go a long way.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
it's great SP added free stuff and they should be applauded for it imo. But ultimately the upgrade price will be judged alone by the upgrade value in comparison to other companies offerings. So you can't add free updates to justify the price of the upgrade. If a non free upgrade for GTS happened, most of the people imo wouldn't care about the game having many free updates beforehand. Because those weren't part of the asking price for the upgrade and therefore have nothing to do with the value of the upgrade.

Another problem is how they force people who just want to upgrade the game 30$, because you are only able to upgrade the Directors Cut. So if someone wants to play the game, but doesn't care about the DLC for one reason or the other, then that person likely will call Sony out for it. That's perfectly fine imo. As Lakeside said at the very least, there should be a 10$ upgrade path.
I think simply being able to pay $10 for the PS5 upgrade would go a long way.
Yep, not optimal. But better.

Last edited:

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
I actually think that I'll just wait on this till it gets cheaper. Same with Kena which is also releasing late August, the price just seems a little too high.

Nov 1, 2017
If you think the price is too high you could just wait until it's more affordable or not buy it.

I personally think $30 is too high for this package, even though I enjoyed the game and would like to play it again at some point. Hence, I'll wait for a sale. If there's no sale, I probably won't buy it. Life goes on.

There's this attitude that we're owed things born out of people needing everything nownownow! and it's silly.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I have a ps5 and don't have. The game yet. Question: if I buy the ps4 version of the base game, do I get any actual. Improvement for PS5 version? Let's say I ditn care about the new island.

EDIT : I mean any fps or other technical improvements
You'd be playing the PS4 version at 60 fps on PS5 in the same resolution as the PS4 Pro I think.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I was on board as soon as the theme started playing, can't wait to play the dlc on PS5.

Last edited:

SykoTech

Dec 23, 2020
Skipped this last gen, but not that it's 4K/60fps, getting a (hopefully) meaty expansion, and has free multiplayer (with expansions)...yeah, might have to check it out.

I still hope Sucker Punch makes another inFamous game someday. Or Sly, but I probably shouldn't hold my breath for that one.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
sure, its not that different as installing languagepacks. But it will also add many many hours to testing and QA. Many features aren't a question of 'how', more a question of if budget/planning allows it.
But it's Ghost of Tsushima. Major AAA game from major established 1st party studio from leading platform holder supported by major technology and consumer electronics company based in Japan. If anyone could afford to do it....

But yes, that's not how corporations think. Fair enough.

kitzkozan

Oct 25, 2017
If you think the price is too high you could just wait until it's more affordable or not buy it.

I personally think $30 is too high for this package, even though I enjoyed the game and would like to play it again at some point. Hence, I'll wait for a sale. If there's no sale, I probably won't buy it. Life goes on.

There's this attitude that we're owed things born out of people needing everything nownownow! and it's silly.

I'll wait for a sale on both the FFVIIR and GoT DLC (which is the PS4 to 5 upgrade in this case) which will 99% happen this upcoming christmas season at worst.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
No one is technically entitled to anything. People are welcome to judge value as they like, and a lot of people think the good will of an upgrade for a game they bought from Sony for the new console they also bought from them is reasonable concession. I don't think anyone is reasonably asking for the new expansion content to be free. Sony is also selling the PS5 version standalone, so it's not like the upgrade features are only created for/going to existing owners.

forrest

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Been thinking of picking this up to play on PS5, since I skipped it at launch. Guess it's time

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The insane amount of pages in this thread could have been avoided by simply giving a free upgrade to the PS5 version and charging $20 for the DLC. Like it's not hard.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
www.resetera.com

Judgment coming to PS5, Xbox Series, and Stadia on April 23

Why do people feel entitled to a free upgrade?
www.resetera.com

Judgment coming to PS5, Xbox Series, and Stadia on April 23

People have entitlement issues and use asinine logic like "X got a free upgrade Y should too!" It's nice when a two year old game gets a free upgrade but no one should expect it.
🧐
Hahahahaha!

Dude is going to completely ignore your post.

The concern trolling by platform fans on Era is reaching unbearable levels. I love Era, but it's getting harder and harder to participate in some discussions.

Jamper

Jun 2, 2021
Any word on whether they'll include an ability to zoom out / increase FOV? I find the camera obnoxiously close for it to be a full body - non over the shoulder (unlike God of War, tlou etc).

manuvlad

Mar 26, 2019
Yeah well it doesn't make sense when your competitors and other publishers make the upgrades available for free.

What makes even less sense is defending a faceless megacorp price gouging their customers but here we are!

I'm not defending anybody. Sony chose this route (charge 10 dollars more for PS5 games). So, it makes sense for them to charge 10 dollars more in this case. Otherwise, people will just buy the PS4 version and play it on the ps5. I'm not saying is good or bad. But it is a choice they made. Maybe they are shooting themselves in the foot. Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, Adidas, Nike, McDonald's, etc. are private companies that have the right to choose how much they will charge for their products. And we, as consumers, have the choice to decide if it is worth it or not. This is so simple.

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017
I waited this long, I'll just get this when it hits $20-25 for the PS5 version.
PS4 digital never dropped below $40... and i watched it like a hawk. Kinda wild that even TLOU2 went to $30 multiple times already but not GoT. Feels like Sony is testing Nintendo-lite approach with this IP and it sucks :/

$30 for an upgrade and forced DLC is ridiculous.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Doesn't even look like they improved any texture, which was the weakest aspect of the graphics.

darthbob

One Winged Slayer
Nov 20, 2017
If they fix Jin's walking animation so that it uses inverse kinematics, then I'm sold, day 1!