• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MoonScented

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm trying to gain muscle and vastly improve my cardiovascular conditioning to try out for NJPW. Find a reason that makes you passionate about going to the gym/engaging in regular exercise and always keep it in your mind. Then, find exercises that you enjoy and you'll stick to it because you're having fun.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
I think something relatively easy to do is resolve to not buy potato chips anymore, or other foods you typically overeat. Pretending the chips aisle isn't there when I go shopping is so, so much easier for me than saying no to just one more handful when the bag is in my pantry or my hands.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
Every time I have friends like this that need motivation, I send them stock photos of morbidly obese people. It's probably fucked up, but it works....

Oct 30, 2017
If I was gay and there was a place that's filled with sweaty swole guys, that'd be enough to get me there a couple of times a week, I think. That'd be like if I had access to an all-women's gym. I'd have my best workouts in there.

Can't you go together?

meow

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Positive inspiration helps me work out. Negative inspiration (is that a thing?) helps my eating.

I started watching "My 600 lb Life" while I eat dinner and it really suppresses my appetite. not joking

Kevyt

Oct 25, 2017
East Coast, USA
If I was gay and there was a place that's filled with sweaty swole guys, that'd be enough to get me there a couple of times a week, I think. That'd be like if I had access to an all-women's gym. I'd have my best workouts in there.

Can't you go together?

27598.jpg

lol

But you are right... sort of... :thinking:

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Buy an Apple Watch. Seriously. Even a cheap Series 1 model, which I opted for, will do.

I bought one back in March and my commitment to filling those rings has gotten me active.

Some times I exercise more than others but I'm committed to fitting in at least 30 minutes of walking a day.

I haven't lost a significant amount of weight (I'd likely have to transition into heavier duty exercises and make changes to my diet) but folks have told me that I look slimmer, and that's all that matters to me.

All things in time.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Keto plus intermittent fasting has worked for me, I've lost 18 lbs in 7 weeks.

Calory deficit!

Diets don't really work
at all... Just make sure to watch out for sugars and processed foods, count calories and be at a deficit, but start small and go from there. That's what I've been doing and it has worked well. It took about over 6 months to be where I am though I was only "considered" overweight because of BMI but body fat percentage has gone down (from 16% to about 13-14%) and I can feel the difference.

What do you think eating a calorie deficit is if not a diet? Not all calories are created equal in terms of how your body responds. I started out at 280 2 years ago and wanted to get down to 190-200 which is a good weight for my body, and like you I just started with CICO and I lost weight, but eventually at around 230 I hit a wall and stayed there for over a year. Even the gym didn't help. It wasn't until I started doing keto 7 weeks ago that the weight started to come off again. The difference is on a high fat diet I'm almost never hungry so while I'm still eating a calorie deficit doing so is much easier and I have way more energy than I did just counting calories.

oledome

Oct 25, 2017
I would watch Schwarzenegger clips on YouTube the guy peps you up like no ones business, especially if you're looking to get to the gym

Kevyt

Oct 25, 2017
East Coast, USA
Keto plus intermittent fasting has worked for me, I've lost 18 lbs in 7 weeks.

What do you think eating a calorie deficit is if not a diet? Not all calories are created equal in terms of how your body responds. I started out at 280 2 years ago and wanted to get down to 190-200 which is a good weight for my body, and like you I just started with CICO and I lost weight, but eventually at around 230 I hit a wall and stayed there for over a year. Even the gym didn't help. It wasn't until I started doing keto 7 weeks ago that the weight started to come off again. The difference is on a high fat diet I'm almost never hungry so while I'm still eating a calorie deficit doing so is much easier and I have way more energy than I did just counting calories.

Watch Netflix's "Explained" episode on diet, or if not I think Vox has a really good article on it with a bunch of studies on it that show why diets don't really work, let me see if I can find it and link it here.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
Everyone knows you have to be fat to be funny. It's one reason why you guys have probably never heard of this obscure comedian I saw once named Jerry Seinfeld.

l2iv6

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
jump on the intermittent fasting train, u will not regret

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
If you like potato chips include them in your life in a limited capacity. ie never buy them at the store, only get them when you're out with friends.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
Watch Netflix's "Explained" episode on diet, or if not I think Vox has a really good article on it with a bunch of studies on it that show why diets don't really work, let me see if I can find it and link it here.
These things always piss me off. I guess that's because I lost somewhere around 50-70 pounds by changing my diet over 10 years ago and have kept the weight off ever since.

I think it's probably fair to say a lot of people give up. But it reminds me of all the headlines going around a few years ago that said something like "Diet soda makes you gain weight!" and then in every study, what had happened was that the subjects who had switched to diet soda saw it as a license to eat worse things. So they'd drop the soda, but eat more snacks, desserts, etc. It had nothing to do with the diet soda at all, but their poor decision making.

Brashnir

Oct 25, 2017
Calory deficit!

Diets don't really work at all... Just make sure to watch out for sugars and processed foods, count calories and be at a deficit, but start small and go from there. That's what I've been doing and it has worked well. It took about over 6 months to be where I am though I was only "considered" overweight because of BMI but body fat percentage has gone down (from 16% to about 13-14%) and I can feel the difference.

Says diets don't work and then goes on to describe a diet.

Aftervirtue

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
The real secret is to try to find "healthy" foods you actually like.

I have a sweet tooth and its so hard for me to give up sugar, but I fucking love pistachios and although they are calorie heavy, they are really good for you and much better than eating a box of cookies while watching Netflix or gaming.

I still snack, but the trick is to have three cookies instead of 30. Be deliberate, bring the three cookies with you, not the whole box, or else you'll overeat.

Be strategic, When you go out, still have a burger, but skip the soda totally and share the fries with your SO.

Little things like this go a long way and its much more realistic than going "cold turkey" or keto or whatever the fuck some people recommend. After a few months of this it'll be much easier to then cut out the burger or sugar altogether. And when you occasionally have a cheat day you won't feel guilty and can go all out.

Last edited:

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
Don't.

I am gaining weight because I can't really walk. Be glad you have your health.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Water fasting? Stupid question, but is that consuming nothing but water for 3 days?

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017

Again, what do you think eating a calorie deficit is if not a diet?

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I have poor self-control.

I can eat a healthy lunch, and I will still want something sweet afterwards. Every. single. time.

Started eating like 2 fun size candy bars as a meal replacement for lunch a few days a week. It's only a couple hundred calories, and I mentally feel satisfied because I ate chocalatey junk.

It's probably not healthy overall, but I've dropped some pounds. /shrug

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
If you're a guy, think about the fact that the fatter you get, the worse you'll perform sexually.

Kaywee

Oct 28, 2017
Water fasting? Stupid question, but is that consuming nothing but water for 3 days?

Correct but I would recommend putting some himilayan pink salt into a morning bottle of water to get some minerals.

As for the op if your going to water fast, more than 3 days is ideal because after 3 days the hard part is over. I prefer OMAD myself combined with walking.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
I've lost 22lbs in a little over two months

• Move more (walk, jog, hit the gym)
  • CICO
  • Eat your lean bodyweight amount in grams of protein everyday
  • make sure to eat your greens and/or supplement with vitamins
  • Drink more water

Thats the condensed version of what ive been doing but the real magic comes from consistency.

Last edited:

Log!

Oct 27, 2017
Think of how awesome you'll look when your pants fit properly again.

Stardestroyer

Oct 31, 2017
All weight loss must come from an internal desire. Inspiration doesn't work in the long run. After a while you forget or the inspiration might not be enough.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Step 1) Eat less, drink more water
Step 2) Gym, twice a week
Step 3) Perseverance of the aforementioned and regularity (the hardest part)

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Calorie deficit bruh. Invest in a George Foreman grill. Makes it supper easy to meal prep. Put some foil down, cook veggies. Put new foil down, cook chicken. You'll be good in like 15 minutes.

Oct 27, 2017
The fatter you get the harder it is to lose it. I know that because I'm fat and now I'm so big thanks to a life of being big that I'll probably never lose it...so yeah. Don't get that big.

The Statesman

Aug 5, 2018
Trumplandia
While not optimal if you can carve out a 30-minute block before or after work, then you should have enough time to get a workout in.

It won't be groundbreaking; however, with a proper diet, you will see results.

This post is brought to you by beachbody.com

Drink BodyArmor

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
Definitely use MyFitnessPal. Its what Im using. Its been rough staying in my calorie/fat/sodium ranges but been hitting it pretty consistently. Lost 6 lbs already in 6 weeks. 1lb/week aint bad. I am sure it will taper off soon but will keep at it.