• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
For a party that says it cares about the Democratic process they sure do like to undermine it at every chance they get.

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
I don't understand, how can they do this? Will this go to the SCOTUS? What's to stop them, or any other state for that matter, from cancelling other elections and the state government just appointing/"electing" whomever they want?

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That's my state.
It's safe to go bowling but not safe enough for an election.
GG

cxiSvEQ.gif
Well, actually, Democracy does work, which is why Republicans are so opposed to it.

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
Something tells me they expect this to be challenged, and expect it to be reversed, but not in time for whatever ultra-conservative shithead they appoint to help do damage to the integrity of their 2020 election.

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So what's stopping the GOP doing this at the federal level? If Georgia can stop this election couldn't they also stop the general election in November at Trump's request?

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
So what's stopping the GOP doing this at the federal level? If Georgia can stop this election couldn't they also stop the general election in November at Trump's request?
That's what I want to know.

People keep saying "Oh don't worry Trump can't cancel the 2020 election, it's all up to the states". Welp....

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

I think because some of the battleground states are ones with Democratic governors that won't cancel the election and they are needed for the electoral math to work for Trump? Maybe?

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
And fucking right wingers are crying about their freedoms being trampled on because they're being asked to wear a mask in public. Fuck these evil pieces of shit.

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California
I think because some of the battleground states are ones with Democratic governors that won't cancel the election and they are needed for the electoral math to work for Trump? Maybe?

I was thinking if it was possible, could they cancel the voting part, but basically "vote" Trump by just picking him through delegates or something. So their state still counts, they just take away the actual voting. I suppose they could just let people vote as well, but disregard them as invalid or something.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
really it's kind of getting old at this point gop does something scummy *le shock* gop candidates are still elected for all eternity.
A lot of idiots continue to put these idiots in charge and there is really not much you can feel about it. It's basically seeing people metaphorically chopping off their arms over and over and over.

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's what I want to know.

People keep saying "Oh don't worry Trump can't cancel the 2020 election, it's all up to the states". Welp....
This is precisely why:
Republicans would need 270 electoral votes worth of states (aka, enough states for Trump to flat-out win regardless) to all simultaneously agree and actually go through with such a plan, and they just don't have that right now. No way would you get enough states to agree, particularly states that wouldn't have flat-out voted for Trump regardless.

That states like Michigan, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, etc, have Democratic governors that would never allow such a thing, and without them, ain't happening.

This sucks, to be clear. But there's absolutely no reason to worry about the same thing happening in November with the federal election. It's just not possible.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
🤔 wait, the state is safe enough to begin "reopening" but not safe enough for an election?
The cancellation isn't because of COVID-19. The way the Georgia Constitution is written, if there's a vacancy in the Supreme Court the governor can appoint a temporary replacement. But the replacement's term isn't tied to the vacancy they're filling: instead they get to stay six months plus the next general election.

So someone on the court resigns effective late November, the governor now has a window in which to appoint a replacement whose term ends in 2022. Because there's no longer a seat to fill by the May election, that election is cancelled. Even though the resignation and replacement aren't going to happen for another six months.

Which also means that they can keep doing this even after COVID. If a justice wants to retire and is of the same party as the governor, they can create a 2-year successor term of their party out of thin air.

Yay politics.

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
This is precisely why:

Republicans would need 270 electoral votes worth of states (aka, enough states for Trump to flat-out win regardless) to all simultaneously agree and actually go through with such a plan, and they just don't have that right now. No way would you get enough states to agree, particularly states that wouldn't have flat-out voted for Trump regardless.

That states like Michigan, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, etc, have Democratic governors that would never allow such a thing, and without them, ain't happening.

This sucks, to be clear. But there's absolutely no reason to worry about the same thing happening in November with the federal election. It's just not possible.
There is a lot more up for election in 2020. Republicans have proven that they don't need the Presidency to enact their agenda of destroying democracy, society, and the institutions that hold it together. Why do you think they've been stacking the courts the past few years?

The GOP agenda is purely one of dismantling. They do not need the White House to do that. All they need are obstructionist legislatures and stacked courts.

Mar 3, 2019
Probably, not a legal expert but I think the play is two-fold:
1) Delay the fight till after the governor appoints a stooge to the state court
2) argue that the Fed can't rule on a state decision like this
2a) if Kemp loses this fight he still has the stooge appointed.

They could argue their constitutional right of voting/representation was invalidated by the governor? Considering how easy it is to start a lawsuit nowadays, I could see aclu starting one

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
They're only going to continue doing this until a United Dem party that holds all three branches of Govt. takes them down, which won't happen.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I can't believe it's even possible to subvert democracy like this. I read the article though, it is incredibly in their constitution.

If they really cared about democracy and didn't just give it lip service the GOP would hold the elections anyway.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
They could argue their constitutional right of voting/representation was invalidated by the governor? Considering how easy it is to start a lawsuit nowadays, I could see aclu starting one
yeah, the question then becomes one of can the appointment be nullified by a federal decision and a fair election held since the right to vote was previously infringed. I'm not optimistic on this playing out fairly. If anything this is the perfect reason for mail-in voting.

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
yeah, the question then becomes one of can the appointment be nullified by a federal decision and a fair election held since the right to vote was previously infringed. I'm not optimistic on this playing out fairly. If anything this is the perfect reason for mail-in voting.
I mean, there was supposed to be an election, and there wasn't one. How hard would it be to nullify an illegitimate appointment like that on legal grounds?

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Armed 'protestors' storming the fucking capital building in Michigan over being asked to stay home and wear a fucking mask, yet shit like this happens in Georgia and we just fucking shrug.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, there was supposed to be an election, and there wasn't one. How hard would it be to nullify an illegitimate appointment like that on legal grounds?
This goes back to the question of how much power the federal has over the state. This is in Georgia's constitution so the SCOTUS would have to rule here.

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
Armed 'protestors' storming the fucking capital building in Michigan over being asked to stay home and wear a fucking mask, yet shit like this happens in Georgia and we just fucking shrug.
GOP conservatives have no real principles or ethos beyond selfish personal freedoms and power-grabbing. Everything else is just a guise, and many of them are too fucking stupid to even know it.

Oct 27, 2017
According to the article, and not the headline or the blurb, their constitution provides for this weird area where this is fine. I can't imagine it will get changed, either.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so tired of this country. Every single day Republicans get to do whatever they want and never get punished for it.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
Wait , this can just happen?? Open for everything, but voting? And the people who go out and protest for opening up the country aren't out there fighting for this?

What kind of bullshit world do you guys live in

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
Literally using COVID to their own advantage. Won't allow mail in voting in another state, yet outright cancels it in a state where the Governor is given the ability to appoint.

Esit: Reading further I guess it's due to a vacancy

Last edited:

blakeseven

Apr 9, 2018
It's crazy to me that republicans do these things and there's literally nothing that can be done about it.