• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
As much as average people don't seem to care about teachers getting shafted in all this, you'd think they'd at least care about the fact that we know that children can spread COVID just as easily as adults, perhaps more so, given their decidedly less fastidious hygiene in many cases. All those kids running around in schools that aren't capable of being retrofitted for proper COVID safety, just one of them coming in infected, knowingly or unknowingly, and they're going to be spreading it to however many other kids who will then bring it home and almost certainly infect everyone else in their home. And then those people bring it into their workplaces and wherever they go shopping. Even after all of the past four years it's still somehow astonishing how stupid some people can really be.

There are rural school in boondocks New Hampshire that keep shutting down due to COVID. And yet people keep pushing that schools aren't vectors for spreading. And then you also have this sentiment that just because some teachers don't have health issues that would raise mortality rates they're OK with then developing health complications from COVID cause, hey, at least they're not gonna die.

The whole pandemic has exposed even further just how callous people are to teachers despite knowing fully well just how important they are.

Boondocks

Nov 30, 2020
NE Georgia USA
There are rural school in boondocks New Hampshire that keep shutting down due to COVID. And yet people keep pushing that schools aren't vectors for spreading. And then you also have this sentiment that just because some teachers don't have health issues that would raise mortality rates they're OK with then developing health complications from COVID cause, hey, they're not gonna die. The whole pandemic has exposed just how callous people are to teachers despite knowing just how important they are.
It's a hard decision, with limited vaccine who do you vaccinate first? The high risk groups or the ones who may be less impacted?

Boondocks

Nov 30, 2020
NE Georgia USA

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
www.cnbc.com

CDC director says schools can safely reopen without vaccinating teachers

Teachers do not need to get vaccinated against Covid-19 before schools can safely reopen, the head of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said.
"[W]hen precautions were taken" is a pretty damn big IF. Do you honestly believe that all schools can and will take the adequate precautions? Do you believe there won't be some massive disparities between underfunded public schools and wealthy private ones? Do you think that the GOP-controlled states that are trying to rush this really care if the schools are actually ready?

May 29, 2019
www.cnbc.com

CDC director says schools can safely reopen without vaccinating teachers

Teachers do not need to get vaccinated against Covid-19 before schools can safely reopen, the head of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said.

During a press briefing later Wednesday, White House press secretary Jen Psaki walked back Walensky's comments, saying that they were not "official guidance" from the CDC.

So the article title is technically accurate, but the CDC as a body has not made an official statement. Wondering about this director right now..

Walensky has previously said that schools should be the first to open and the last to close in the pandemic.

yeah...

Boondocks

Nov 30, 2020
NE Georgia USA
"[W]hen precautions were taken" is a pretty damn big IF. Do you honestly believe that all schools can and will take the adequate precautions? Do you believe there won't be some massive disparities between underfunded public schools and wealthy private ones? Do you think that the GOP-controlled states that are trying to rush this really care if the schools are actually ready?
I'm sorry, folks said all during the Trump administration that science should be followed. So we have the head of the CDC saying one thing but your personal belief is that it should be ignored? It sounds like a local issue to me.

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry, folks said all during the Trump administration that science should be followed. So we have the head of the CDC saying one thing but your personal belief is that it should be ignored? It sounds like a local issue to me.
I'm quoting the very article you posted. It quite explicitly states that this safety depends on the proper precautions being taken. I'm saying that we can't rely on that actually happening, especially in states that already treat schools like crap.

Edit:

Masking? Sounds great, but we all know that a bunch of children and even teenagers are not going to be 100% compliant.

Social distancing? I'll admit I have been out of school for two decades, but even back when schools were reasonably well funded and I was in a good one, we had over 2000 people in one building. Social distancing was literally impossible between classes.

Ventilation? Unless they're planning on undertaking multi-million dollar renovations on EACH and EVERY school, that has basically meant leaving every window open. In the dead of winter. A sub-freezing classroom is not exactly the most conducive environment for learning.

Last edited:

Boondocks

Nov 30, 2020
NE Georgia USA
I'm quoting the very article you posted. It quite explicitly states that this safety depends on the proper precautions being taken. I'm saying that we can't rely on that actually happening, especially in states that already treat schools like crap.
Again, it is a local issue. Have you been to a Education Board meeting in you local county? You can't let other folks decide the fate of your schools. You need to fight, not post on a forum.. All politics are local.

Oct 27, 2017
Er, I meant that Connecticut has been good about getting the supply out that it gets, but I'm sure we're not getting as much as we want. Like, I think the logistics and coordination have been good with what we're being given.

The covid breakouts in nursing homes that have not stopped at all since almost a year ago, and the disproportionate 75+ age group deaths that are still high today, means the vaccines have gone to those places and groups first. It's the right call given the situation, the deaths and breakouts have to stop and people continue to fail to keep it out of these places. It sucks it got to this point in CT with the nursing homes, since it means waiting weeks longer now to get a turn to make an appt. We had at least one in-school transmission in our district (that they've told us about) so I'm anxious to see teachers and staff get vaccinated.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If they can't get vaccinated, they shouldn't show up for in-person classes. Very easy decision. GOP will weaponize this as teachers and their unions harming children, but they've weaponized this all over the country with the implicit narrative that teachers, for some reason, shouldn't even entertain vaccinations coming their way.

charmeleon

Oct 25, 2017
You should read some of the science used to justify things, like the Wisconsin school study referenced in the article. When you don't test for asymptomatic infections in school and we know children are the most likely people to be asymptomatic that's kind of a huge issue.
No systematic COVID-19 screening was conducted in the schools or the community...
However, this study was unable to rule out asymptomatic transmission within the school setting because surveillance testing was not conducted.

Then the contact tracing part is essentially set up where it's going to miss spread. Sitting 6 feet 1 inch away from a sick student for 8 hours in school wouldn't count as close contact, which is actually insane and makes it easy to say transmission doesn't happen in school.
When a school was alerted to a positive case in a student or staff member, school officials identified persons who had had close contact with the patient through interviews with the patient, parents, and school staff members. Close contact was defined as being within 6 feet for longer than 15 cumulative minutes during a 24-hour period.[SUP]§[/SUP]
www.cdc.gov

COVID-19 Cases and Transmission in 17 K–12 Schools ...

The coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic has disrupted in-person learning in the United States, with approximately one half of all students receiving online-only instruction since March 2020.

Then you have the whole problem of the study being done in a rural area.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
My mother lives in Elbert County. The Health Dept is right up the street from our house. Calling her now to see if she knows about this

Boondocks

Nov 30, 2020
NE Georgia USA
If they can't get vaccinated, they shouldn't show up for in-person classes. Very easy decision. GOP will weaponize this as teachers and their unions harming children, but they've weaponized this all over the country with the implicit narrative that teachers, for some reason, shouldn't even entertain vaccinations coming their way.
In this case it is Democrats that will face the music. The real problem is that folks will not be able to work due to home schooling . Why not open schools and see what happens? Astra Zeneca and Johnson and Johnson will be out and in circulation byt he middle of March
Triage is the keyword. I'm sorry the physicians in this thread did not contribute.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit. I just saw the news clip from NBC - the guy that got in trouble for this (Dr Jonathan Poon) IS A FRIEND OF MINE. We've been friends for 28 years. His wife was also a good friend of mine from high school. He's a Dr back home now, with his dad and runs the Medical Center. His sister and my sister were best friends.

This actually happened a week ago, according to my mom.

Saito

Oct 25, 2017
States that have opened schools have not shown schools to be a significant vector.

It has been way more detrimental for society for schools to be closed.

Ok but why can't we move teachers up the vaccine list if that's going to make them more comfortable for in person learning? I highly doubt having teachers working under an already high stress career with the added COVID issue is going to be a positive for society either.

Boondocks

Nov 30, 2020
NE Georgia USA
You should read some of the science used to justify things, like the Wisconsin school study referenced in the article. When you don't test for asymptomatic infections in school and we know children are the most likely people to be asymptomatic that's kind of a huge issue.

Then the contact tracing part is essentially set up where it's going to miss spread. Sitting 6 feet 1 inch away from a sick student for 8 hours in school wouldn't count as close contact, which is actually insane and makes it easy to say transmission doesn't happen in school.

www.cdc.gov

COVID-19 Cases and Transmission in 17 K–12 Schools ...

The coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic has disrupted in-person learning in the United States, with approximately one half of all students receiving online-only instruction since March 2020.

Then you have the whole problem of the study being done in a rural area.
I'm sorry thats the best data we have right now. if that's not acceptable I have no other defense. it's up to you whether you child goes to school or not.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The covid breakouts in nursing homes that have not stopped at all since almost a year ago, and the disproportionate 75+ age group deaths that are still high today, means the vaccines have gone to those places and groups first. It's the right call given the situation, the deaths and breakouts have to stop and people continue to fail to keep it out of these places. It sucks it got to this point in CT with the nursing homes, since it means waiting weeks longer now to get a turn to make an appt. We had at least one in-school transmission in our district (that they've told us about) so I'm anxious to see teachers and staff get vaccinated.
I'm totally fine with the 75+ group being placed first, it makes sense. They're now moving 65+ in front of us, and potentially a bunch of other 'essential workers', so I have no idea where we fall anymore.

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
www.nytimes.com

Where Are U.S. Teachers Ineligible to Be Vaccinated? (Published 2021)

Even in states where teachers are allowed to get shots, a sudden expansion of vaccine eligibility, combined with a limited supply of doses, has made it difficult for some to make appointments.

YujuLNA.png

The thing about this map is that only specific teachers in Nebraska can get a vaccine. Only speech paths, nurses and counselors have gotten them. The general population of classroom teachers won't get their first shot until the school year is over at the rate we're going. Pricketts bumped healthy boomers in front of teachers here.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
www.ajc.com

Hospital execs in NW Georgia gave COVID vaccines to employees’ families

After seizing vaccine from a rural Georgia clinic that gave doses for teachers, the state now is reviewing why a hospital across the state gave shots to family members of employees.

Hundreds of vaccine doses that should have gone to vulnerable people on COVID-19 priority lists instead went to family members of employees at Floyd Medical Center in northwest Georgia, and hospital advocates say a public health worker OK'd the move.

The state Department of Public Health is reviewing the situation and also looking into whether another Floyd County hospital may have done the same. Elbert County leaders, meanwhile, are questioning why a hospital was able to choose its vaccine recipients while a popular Elberton doctor had his vaccine supply seized for inoculating teachers.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
If you can't vaccinate teachers then don't force them back into full in person classroom settings.

NeonCarbon

Oct 28, 2017
Same happening in the U.K. Risk groups > frontline workers.
I think frontline workers should also be a priority, as the more at-risk can still shield.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I think most states are still in the "old people and health workers" stage. I know In California teachers are the next phase that just hasn't started yet.

Of course, but it's not like teachers are phase 2 with "non health care essential workers" across the country as they should be. My step dad who works as a prison guard is getting his shot first before my mom who's a public school teacher, in CT, one of the best states to be a teacher in for most things.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I partly quit as an epidemiologist because the job was stressful enough without getting constantly yelled and hated by the public, having a governor who's a Trump nutjob, a Surgeon General who's an idiot, and my county administrator who doesn't think poor citizens should get services.
which county?

Spartacris

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
If you open schools then vaccinate teachers. Simple as that. You can't have it both ways.

if you say that they are essential workers then treat them that way.