Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
HEROES ON BOTH SIDES

WHAT THE FUCK
I have no problems with that line. It's not like the separatists are fullblown evil fuckers.

Formed by thousands of secessionist star systems on the grounds of excessive taxation and corruption within the Galactic Senate, the Separatists were led by the former Jedi Count Dooku, who served as the Alliance's Head of State.

They were played. Especially when the Galactic Senate was (also) lead by Palpatine.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
Lucas has come full circle, he's now reached Kojima in storytelling, the prequels were a warning of present times!

I really want to know what Anakin thinks about Karl Marx?

Star Wars so deep!

grand

Oct 25, 2017

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Lucas has come full circle, he's now reached Kojima in storytelling, the prequels were a warning of present times!

Star Wars so deep!
Lucas was already a confirmed prophet when Trump was elected. THE UNITED STATES WILL BE REORGANIZED INTO THE FIRST TRUMPIAN EMPIRE, FOR A SAFE AND SECURE SOCIETY. WITH A GIANT WALL.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Star Wars so deep!
It's pretty much Kojima.

Great themes but terrible overall direction and plotlines.

George Lucas has always been progressive and liberal. Unfortunately he lacked the foresight in a lot of areas.

OP
OP
Lunar Wolf

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Lucas was already a confirmed prophet when Trump was elected. THE UNITED STATES WILL BE REORGANIZED INTO THE FIRST TRUMPIAN EMPIRE, FOR A SAFE AND SECURE SOCIETY. WITH A GIANT WALL.
anakin-donald-trump-is-evil-from-my-point-of-view-18262723.png

199.png

6cf170aca0b789d6c3653620175ce674.jpg

Lucas gave Americans too much credit. Palpatine is a genius. Trump is your idiot, racist uncle.

Oct 31, 2017
People should just watch the entirety of George's interview with Charlie Rose to really gain some insight into his mind about Star Wars/etc.:

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
probably the dumbest line in all of star wars.
it's childish and stupid, which matches Prequel Anakin but I hate what they did with him.

Sith do not believe in good and evil, they don't care, they believe in weak and strong like fascists.
He should have said the Jedi are weak and useless.

Vader doesn't try do seduce Luke to the dark side by saying "From my point of view the Jedi are evil", he tells him the dark side is extremely powerful.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
Anakin is the biggest moron in the galaxy, he knows Darth Sidious tried to kill his wife multiple times and still sides with him? Makes no sense.

The "heroes on both sides thing" in the crawl feels like something from another dimension where these films actually established a credible reason for the Separatists to want to separate from the Republic, like years of neglect by the rich, selfish scumbags of Coruscant. Instead we just saw some rich Chinese aliens complaining about their taxes and that was it. There should have been a tragic element to the war with the poor, desperate systems tricked into Palpatine's cynical war, but there is no proper explanation for why any of this is happening.

Last edited:

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The whole stupid line could've been salvaged with another script pass.

"Anakin, the Sith are EVIL! They're just using you!"
"The Jedi took me from my mother and made me fight their wars. From my point of view, the Jedi are no better!"

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
The problem is that you can't just have your characters blatantly announce their internalized emotions and reasoning. That makes me mad!

(No, but seriously. The problem is, "From Anakin's point of view, the Jedi are evil" is a script direction given to an actor, and not a line an actor should be reading, much less something that should make it into the final cut of a film. The entire point of acting and dialogue writing is to try and take concepts like that and portray them to the audience in a way that doesn't seem so dumb.)

Altairre

Oct 25, 2017
It's still impressive that in a trilogy whose only purpose was to show why Anakin became Vader Lucas managed to still make it feel rushed and totally unearned
At least Clone Wars did a pretty good job with that. It actually showed a version of Anakin that wasn't a complete asshat the entire time.

I feel like half of the character development in the prequel trilogy is said characters talking about shit that you never get to see.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
probably the dumbest line in all of star wars.
it's childish and stupid, which matches Prequel Anakin but I hate what they did with him.

Sith do not believe in good and evil, they don't care, they believe in weak and strong like fascists.
He should have said the Jedi are weak and useless.

Vader doesn't try do seduce Luke to the dark side by saying "From my point of view the Jedi are evil", he tells him the dark side is extremely powerful.
Well that gets back to the larger issue of how the prequels basically jettisoned the idea of Anakin being seduced by the dark side as established in the OT. Instead the prequels have him essentially blackmailed into turning and then inexplicably deciding to roll with it once all the pretenses that got him there end up going to shit. It's such a wierldy tortured series of events for something that ultimately makes no sense.

Oct 25, 2017
Well that gets back to the larger issue of how the prequels basically jettisoned the idea of Anakin being seduced by the dark side as established in the OT. Instead the prequels have him essentially blackmailed into turning and then inexplicably deciding to roll with it once all the pretenses that got him there end up going to shit. It's such a wierldy tortured series of events for something that ultimately makes no sense.

Yup. The themes in the PT are good and I enjoy them for that.

But the whole execution of Anakin becoming Vader is bad. After Anaking cuts off Mace's hands and Palpatine pushes him out the window. Anakin is visibly shaken, upset and knows he's done something wrong. Not even two seconds later Anakin is on his knees pledging loyalty to Palpatine with no issue. No conflict at all.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
I mean, you always see the enemy as evil. Vader's enemy is the Jedi, so therefor they are evil. There doesn't need to be some complex ideological differences for the statement. He is brainwashed, thats it.

The real problem is the line itself imo. It more comes off as edgy teen screaming, "I HATE YOU MOM AND DAD!"

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
If the one of the heads of the order is willing to say someone should be killed just as the sith do, that casts some doubt on the "code" they hold so true.
Honestly I admire the fact that Mace was willing to say "To hell with the code, he will kill us all and establish a fascist dictatorship if we don't kill him first"

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
The issue is he killed a room of children, which to my knowledge no other Jedi ever did. So it falls a tad flat.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I admire the fact that Mace was willing to say "To hell with the code, he will kill us all and establish a fascist dictatorship if we don't kill him first"
and it's not like Anakin wasn't a rule breaker in the first place.

Bitch, you got married, and commited genocide. The fuck do you think it isn't the jedi way when Palpatine just spun and killed 2 jedi knights while cackling like a maniac.

I've never had a problem with the 'Jedi is evil' line though. It's hilarious, and fits with him already so twisted and succumbing to the dark side that he force choked Padme just because Obi was in the ship with her.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
They definitely are in that they're both man-children.

tumblr_inline_p2rn7e8xKz1sfgrq5_1280.png

tumblr_inline_p2rn9zFiCW1sfgrq5_640.png

Vader force choking people who get him angry is pretty much what Anakin represses himself from doing until he finally has a big enough outburt that he uses it on his wife.

Also Darth Vader's voicebox makes everything he says sound badass even when it's not.
Yeeeah but this doesn't really hold up at all, given he is absolutely taken dead seriously in ESB and ROTJ, to the point that the only man more feared and bowed to is the Emperor himself. Nor does he particularly come off as any sort of manchild in ESB/ROTJ. ANH is an anomaly that he's not the lead villain nor the guy in charge, and it's not out of some character arc, it's just because Darth Vader, as was his name, was just a bad guy who killed Luke's dad and not the main villain when ANH was written.
Given how written by the seat of his pants the OT and the PT both were I can't see a point in trying to see character arcs that aren't there.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeeeah but this doesn't really hold up at all, given he is absolutely taken dead seriously in ESB and ROTJ, to the point that the only man more feared and bowed to is the Emperor himself. Nor does he particularly come off as any sort of manchild in ESB/ROTJ. ANH is an anomaly that he's not the lead villain nor the guy in charge, and it's not out of some character arc, it's just because Darth Vader, as was his name, was just a bad guy who killed Luke's dad and not the main villain when ANH was written.
Given how written by the seat of his pants the OT and the PT both were I can't see a point in trying to see character arcs that aren't there.
Aye.

Not to mention someone posted that George Lucas wants Hayden to act like a whiny teenager. It was dumb of him for that.

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
It's a dumb line, but I see where he was going with it. Of course, if you embrace a certain ideology...you're going to perceive it to be the correct one. If you feel you're righteous, it's up to others to convince you otherwise.

Oct 28, 2017
Anakin is the biggest moron in the galaxy, he knows Darth Sidious tried to kill his wife multiple times and still sides with him? Makes no sense.

The "heroes on both sides thing" in the crawl feels like something from another dimension where these films actually established a credible reason for the Separatists to want to separate from the Republic, like years of neglect by the rich, selfish scumbags of Coruscant. Instead we just saw some rich Chinese aliens complaining about their taxes and that was it. There should have been a tragic element to the war with the poor, desperate systems tricked into Palpatine's cynical war, but there is no proper explanation for why any of this is happening.
Thank you!

This is exactly what I was trying (but failing) to get at earlier in the conversation with Antrax

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
The guy who referred to a company as "white slavers", came up with a group named "sand people" and wrote a racist caricature as a comedic relief character for children thinks that the space nazis were only as bad as the virtuous heroes? Shocked, guys. I am shocked.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Don't really see how you can say they are both "evil" when one side is murdering younglings...

I mean there's really no way to do a "not truly evil, morally grey" take on that, it felt so out of place and was just so damn terrible.

Star Wars itself has fairly clear good and evil sides, it's never really did a "Maybe these guys are good or maybe they are bad, it's different depending on your point of view." It's usually been a clear cut "Evil side" vs "Good side" with a character themselves that might change or get brought back a bit to the other side (in the case of Vader in TESB).

Initially it did, yeah. Over time it's been shown through extra material (most of which is non-canon anymore but hey, what can ya do) that there's a bit more to it than that. Force users like Luke, Revan, and Ahsoka kinda fall somewhere in the middle of the alignments because the Jedi are extremely restrictive while the Sith are power hungry and self-destructive.

It was blatantly clear that Palpatine was up to some shit but because he treated Anakin with kindness and claimed to have knowledge that could help him and Padme, Anakin was more willing to let it slide, so when the Jedi Order basically used him as a political piece by giving him the rank of master as a cover to appease Palpatine and had him spy on Palpatine for them, it was easier for him to shift the blame to them. Once he disarms Windu, there's really no going back so he retreats even further into that belief that the Jedi are corrupt in order to justify his actions, but he also planned on betraying Palpatine so in his head it would all work out in the end.

On the other end of that, the Sith have their code of conduct hard-wired to self destruct. Only allowing your way of life to be utilized by two people at any given time, one of whom is constantly attempting to kill the other, is a poor way to preserve your culture. On top of that, Palpatine's contingency plan in the event of his death was "if I can't rule the empire, no one can"

You're better off figuring things out for yourself as a force user

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
More respect for episode III after reading the thread and less for the sequel trilogy.

OP
OP
Lunar Wolf

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
The guy who referred to a company as "white slavers", came up with a group named "sand people" and wrote a racist caricature as a comedic relief character for children thinks that the space nazis were only as bad as the virtuous heroes? Shocked, guys. I am shocked.

Uh, that's not what is being said. This is Anakin's perspective not the director's perspective.