• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
hm yeah, this george carlin ad is pretty interesting, I wonder what he has to say about the topic

like, you guys do realize that he wasn't just talking about republicans here, right?

I have no pleasure voting for Biden. He still in line with cooperates that fear monger the possibility of Universal Healthcare coverage. He thinks he can work with Republicans when they've weasel out during the Obama Administration. For fuck sake the Lincoln Project is painting Ronald Reagan as a good guy and Obama recently praising Bush.

All I see is things pretending to be going back to normal and we get another Republican in the future.

Oct 26, 2017
This doesn't work as a one-sided political attack ad

I don't agree with everything Carlin has said, but this really is a perversion of his sentiments

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Problem is Carlin bit was obviously targetting the whole political spectrum as a corrupt system, not just the Republicans. You can agree or not, and I think some democrats are challenging that system while Republicans revel in it, but that's really not his point. He's saying Americans don't have a choice because polititians are not the ones in control, they're just puppets.
Carlin was obviously leaning left, but had zero trust and confidence in the polititians being a force for progress.

So I'm not sure I feel confortable seeing this broad criticisim being twisted to make it appear as being specifically anti-republican or anti-Trump.

But that's just my two cents.

Edit: it's pretty obvious that if he was alive he would tear Trump a new asshole, but sadly we're never gonna have that.
Yeah, I had the same take away from the ad. It was well edited, but Republicans (or progressives) could have laid his rant over footage going after the Democrats and some of it would have still rang true in the same way since it's talking broadly about our political and economic system.

The end quote from Carlin about the American Dream is aces though.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
If you're going to pervert Carlin and turn him into a political attack ad, there are probably five or six other bits that make way more sense to chose.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
It's not a good ad because Trump was elected on this identical wave of anti-establishment populism.

Is this even an ad? Or is it just someones mashup?

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
As others have stated, they are wise words, but also pretty politically agnostic.

Oct 25, 2017
Based on his last few standup specials, George Carlin was a total misanthrope by the end of his life and had given up any pretense of hope that humanity could improve itself and instead went out laughing at our collective misery.

Probably the only sensible and dignified way to age and die.