• If you have been following the news, you should be aware that the people of Lebanon have been under a violent bombardment that has recently escalated. Please consider donating to help them if you can or trying to spread word of the fundraiser.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Somebody should do a China based region with only brown and black people

Genshin's China does have the darkest skinned character

...yeah.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of horny east asian men want their east asian women to be as light as possible. That's as far as they've thought about it I'm sure.

Colorism is the better framework to understand this and its been brought up many times. There's close to zero thought of this stuff in terms of race representation within Korea, Japan, China. The extent to which some Japanese studios are doing better is mostly the extent to which they are looking to market beyond their own borders, because it means very little inside of them.
I think there's more complexity to it than that. Science fiction can often feature more diversity, not due to the idea of representation or marketability, but because it assumes globalism will continue to increase and lead to more interaction between diverse groups or has a more global scope and tries to depict that.

Similarly, it's not uncommon for works that focus on a global scale or on foreignness to include darker-skinned characters without specifically being due to representation or marketability because they're playing up that element.

Guddha

Sep 5, 2019
Genshin's China does have the darkest skinned character

...yeah.
My expectation was for the Natlan characters to be similar in appearance to Iansan, but I guess that notion should have been discarded after Sumeru. It just feels especially stupid and tone deaf when the first Natlan character shown, and three years ago no less, has brown skin. Lord knows if that will even be the case anymore. I mean, this really is an incredible bait and switch. How do you go from this
artworks-VTEar3RhhCIFeqzA-lnGQHg-t500x500.jpg
to this
GRuYqtHWQAE8gMF.jpg:large
?

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017
She's also like the shittiest character in the game (and because MHY is allergic to reworking or fixing anyone that isn't cried about in China, she'll never be fixed). An absolute waste of one of the best designs in the game.
Kinda like how Arlan is the shittest character in Honkai. Funny how that worked out isn't it

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
Kinda like how Arlan is the shittest character in Honkai. Funny how that worked out isn't it

Yeah, I mentioned him earlier too; literally a 3-star character in a game that only has 4s and 5s. The only 'dark'-skinned characters that are remotely useful are Kaeya and Cyno (and Nekomiya, if we count her, which I don't since ); literally every 'dark'-skinned girl is mediocre to bad (but, of course, all have some of the better designs).

Guddha

Sep 5, 2019
Now I'm fully expecting Iansan to be an even worse and more disappointing 5 star than Dehya. Hoyo has it in them and the pattern is established if not guaranteed.

Party

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Dec 3, 2018
Yeah and that makes sense (in terms of it being an explanation for what's happening). It's just that even through the most cynical lens imaginable I'd expect them to at least want to broaden their characters to better appeal to worldwide audiences. Like it should be clear that it would matter with some market research. Like even in the worst case scenario where the studio was just filled with hateful racists, it would *still* be weird to not even try to sell to a wider audience when the entire product is constructed around building characters for specific niches to get people to gamble on them. It's an issue bordering on incompetence lmao.
I think a majority of whales exist within China and they get most of their revenue from their Chinese playerbase. I think hoyo honestly believes that adding more diversity to their cast would somehow drive away their existing whales rather than adding new whales both domestic and abroad to their game. I think they've been taking the safest possible approach to character design for a while now and they very much have a "well we make so much more money than anyone else why change anything" mindset.

Foolhardy

May 4, 2024
Expected nothing and am still disappointed. Same old bullshit that will get the same old excuses.

I wonder if anyone that got mad about Yasuke will be will to speak up about this? (not actually wondering)

Seriously this is embarrassing.

Guddha

Sep 5, 2019
I would not even be surprised if Xbalanque is the whitest character in Genshin, even paler than the characters in Mondstadt or Fontaine. Might as well make him the extra shitty cherry on top after those Pyro Archon leaks.

Saturday

One Winged Slayer - Shinra Employee
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
with a solid art direction I'm not keen on (contemporary streetwear-ish vibes) on top of all the other problems genshin has had since day one of their designs, it feels like it really hammers in how tiring the overall cast is and will continue to do so with every new character. Like the more characters there are, the more it feels like a wardrobe instead of an actual cast because showy (or almost too designed) default outfits tends to be Genshin's strongest design point imo

man, if these characters end up having traversal gimmicks...

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Aftican/latin/indigenous lmao

Sure, pile them all up, its all the same shit!

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
They are saving the darker skin characters for the meta characters like the archon.

Pyro archon is gonna be whiter than the tsaritsa isn't it.

Maedhros

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
When I dropped Genshin, I remember when Sumeru dropped some of the people said "Just wait for Natlan, there'll more POC there". And "wait for Sumeru" was already a thing for that. We got... shit nothing.

LMAO. I was expecting at least one or two...

Tofd

Jul 8, 2018
At this point, you should have zero expectations for gachas to have skin diversity. That way, you can be pleasantly surprised in the extremely rare case that it does happen.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
They are saving the darker skin characters for the meta characters like the archon.

The archon is white and dressed like a coloniser
JhVZjLD.jpeg

I dunno if it's actual concept art or like previous leaks where it's art based on descriptions from a leaker, but it seems likely.

Actinium

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
California
On top of the obvious problem of continued exclusion, i think it also paints a more terrible reality in the negative space of colored character's absence. That regardless of how they try to couch it in the language of monster race tropes like goblins, if there are no black people in Teyvat, then the hilichurls ARE the black people. They are considered sub-human, and the mandatorily light-skinned player kills them by the thousands.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
On top of the obvious problem of continued exclusion, i think it also paints a more terrible reality in the negative space of colored character's absence. That regardless of how they try to couch it in the language of monster race tropes like goblins, if there are no black people in Teyvat, then the hilichurls ARE the black people. They are considered sub-human, and the mandatorily light-skinned player kills them by the thousands.
Hillichurls are Khaenri'ahns, which are Germanic people.
With the exception of Kaeya, every Khaenri'ahn shown so far is white.

ventuno

Nov 11, 2019
Despite all the collaborations with global brands, marketing videos filmed at Versailles, worldwide events including a successful concert tour, extensive amount of research devoted to a few aspects of their depiction of other cultures, they continue to stubbornly fail to do better about characters that aren't pale. They want to be prestige, they clearly want to live up to the revenue and popularity and they can't do better about this simple thing that players continue to call them out on.

There are leaks and she's depicted as white, red haired and wearing a conquistador-inspired outfit. :')

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida

Busaiku explained the actual in-game lore, but in (parts) of the external context, the girls getting 'churled' is also very much a thing, so you're not even wrong anyway...

JhVZjLD.jpeg

I dunno if it's actual concept art or like previous leaks where it's art based on descriptions from a leaker, but it seems likely.

The shit part is that in isolation, that's not even a shitty design and 'could' be used as a decent basis for the conflict if MHY weren't cowards about having a PC darker than 'was in the sun for an afternoon'

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
It's definitely weak to not have dark skinned characters especially for these new regions.

The gacha that I play (Fate/Grand Order) has at least a few PoC and that type of character diversity definitely makes the game better. I still think there could be several more in FGO, so it's pathetic to see that Genshin Inpact is actually far worse.

I've never played or even seen much of Genshin, and this is extra reason to ignore it.

Actinium

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
California

Busaiku explained the actual in-game lore, but in (parts) of the external context, the girls getting 'churled' is also very much a thing, so you're not even wrong anyway...

The shit part is that in isolation, that's not even a shitty design and 'could' be used as a decent basis for the conflict if MHY weren't cowards about having a PC darker than 'was in the sun for an afternoon'

I'm well aware of the hilichurl lore, i didn't get this user title for nothing (well, almost nothing). The fact remains that no matter how they tell you a race of cursed, black skinned tribals came into existence, we now know those are the only truly dark skinned things anywhere on the planet and are more or less confirmed now to always be. That means something very specific, intentional or not.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely weak to not have dark skinned characters especially for these new regions.

The gacha that I play (Fate/Grand Order) has at least a few PoC and that type of character diversity definitely makes the game better. I still think there could be several more in FGO, so it's pathetic to see that Genshin Inpact is actually far worse.

I've never played or even seen much of Genshin, and this is extra reason to ignore it.
Fate/Grand Order does have some dark skinned characters, but then it has this garbage.
latest

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
Come on guys at least the people complaining about Assassin's Creed not being respectful to japanese people will criticize this as well right? Right???

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
surely the people boycotting the new assassin's creed for ""inaccuracies"" will move mountains because of this...

right?

Come on guys at least the people complaining about Assassin's Creed not being respectful to japanese people will criticize this as well right? Right???

lmao.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I'm well aware of the hilichurl lore, i didn't get this user title for nothing (well, almost nothing). The fact remains that no matter how they tell you a race of cursed, black skinned tribals came into existence, we now know those are the only truly dark skinned things anywhere on the planet and are more or less confirmed now to always be. That means something very specific, intentional or not.
If the only dark-skinned people are cursed white people, that seems even worse than just not having any dark-skinned characters at all. It's similar to slavery justifications used in the real world.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
It's so embarrassing at this point. Makes me ashamed to play Genshin in a way the shitty microtransactions haven't. Even worse than the sexualization too.

Guddha

Sep 5, 2019
It's also strange that there are brown Eremites but the only playable characters are tan as cardboard.
E58-E9-FE7-A59-E-20220902160847.jpg

NPC-Layth.png

NPC-Rima.png

Z5exqQQ.png

People have been begging for characters like Jeht and Jebrael to be playable, but Hoyo won't even go for easy money and a lazy PR win using existing assets. Their unwillingness to give the fanbase what already is present in the game is super fucking weird and honestly suspect at this point. Any one of these character templates with added 4 or 5 star flare would most likely sell just as well if not better than the innumerable light skinned characters in the game. Now I know it can't be that Hoyo is afraid to make money so what is it?

Last edited:

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
surely the people boycotting the new assassin's creed for ""inaccuracies"" will move mountains because of this...

right?

lmao.

You can do both. AssCreed deserves criticism not because Yasuke is black which many chugs like to focus on and rally against DEI.

AssCreed deserves criticism because it's a blatant trend in the West for decades to exclude or negatively portray Asian Males and insert non-Asian ones in Asian Setting. Add up to Ubisoft history and the allegations & scandals including how they treat their Singaporean employees, the criticism is pretty clear cut.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
JhVZjLD.jpeg

Its the nation of war. So this checks out in a ... fucked up kinda way.

KaCo

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
May 22, 2018
"african/latin/indigenous" Is this considered a racist hat trick?

Veldin

Oct 25, 2017
Those are fuckin' hideous character designs, given what cultures they're drawing from. Embarrassing.