• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
People play gacha for the community. Talking to your friends about your favorite characters, coming up with strategies for newly released content, complaining about how gacha sucks. It's easily digestable games as a service. You pop it on, grind for a couple minutes, and turn it off. Then you hop on Discord and talk about how the new character is super overpowered or totally sucks. Then someone says the opposite and you theorycraft. Then your stamina is full so you grind a bit more. Then you hop on Discord again and talk about how you think X character should use Y weapon or how X character and Y character are really strong on the same team.

And so on. If it was a purely solo en-devour, gacha would be even more trash than it is.

It's time to expand our discord channels again Ein :eyjamath:

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
People play gacha for the community. Talking to your friends about your favorite characters, coming up with strategies for newly released content, complaining about how gacha sucks. It's easily digestable games as a service. You pop it on, grind for a couple minutes, and turn it off. Then you hop on Discord and talk about how the new character is super overpowered or totally sucks. Then someone says the opposite and you theorycraft. Then your stamina is full so you grind a bit more. Then you hop on Discord again and talk about how you think X character should use Y weapon or how X character and Y character are really strong on the same team.

And so on. If it was a purely solo en-devour, gacha would be even more trash than it is.
Some people just get sucked in. Some people stay free and rely on the earned currency and luck. I pay small amounts for specific things in games I've gotten plenty out of as a sort thanks for the good time.

I hope we'll create a nice and fun little community in the future Genshin OT. :)

I keep hearing that PS4 version is delaying to September, Is that true?

More like October. ;) PC and mobile phones are September 28th and PS4 likely end of October.

Oct 26, 2017
For anyone who has played through the story in this game so far has there been any mention of
Honkai or Herrschers? Since one of the writers IIRC confirmed that Genshin is another leaf on the "Imaginary Tree"/part of the same universe that the Honkai would be present in some form aside from the opening segment where you choose your character.

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Here's the video of the Korean live stream that just finished. As I already thought there was not much new info in there. One of Mihoyo's bosses just explains Genshin Impact again and what they plan in the near future for the game:

For anyone who has played through the story in this game so far has there been any mention of
Honkai or Herrschers? Since one of the writers IIRC confirmed that Genshin is another leaf on the "Imaginary Tree"/part of the same universe that the Honkai would be present in some form aside from the opening segment where you choose your character.

Not really a spoiler, as it is something you'll notice in the first minutes of the game, but I still put it in here:
Other than the Unknown God looking very similar to a certain Honkai character and them possessing similar powers, no. Similarly to the Final Fantasy universe some names from Honkai reappear in Genshin. For example the name Murata. It's the name of a character in Honkai and the name of a fire goddess in Genshin Impact.

Oct 26, 2017
Here's the video of the Korean live stream that just finished. As I already thought there was not much new info in there. One of Mihoyo's bosses just explains Genshin Impact again and what they plan in the near future for the game:

Not really a spoiler, as it is something you'll notice in the first minutes of the game, but I still put it in here:
Other than the Unknown God looking very similar to a certain Honkai character and them possessing similar powers, no. Similarly to the Final Fantasy universe some names from Honkai reappear in Genshin. For example the name Murata. It's the name of a character in Honkai and the name of a fire goddess in Genshin Impact.

Looking through the video you linked there was a part describing the gods that does sound a lot like Herrschers. I'm curious as to whether there will just mainly be references or if they will eventually have more overt elements although I guess the "Unknown God" could be considered that when you look at her appearance, abilities and voice actor. I'm really curious because HI3 lore is pretty extensive to the point that I spent hours reading through wikis before I even started playing the game so I'm interested to see how Genshin will end up fitting within everything.

I'm glad to see that they plan to support both for a long time. Honkai Impact 3rd has become my main game for now and from what I've seen of Genshin Impact it's likely to join it.

I also want to see those 5 other continents because the videos of the first two look amazing so far.

EDIT: Here's the original link I was looking at before. It's from the latest chapter of HI3.

I completely forgot about this image that was shown at the end of the chapter.

vtE7V0d.jpg

Bottom right is supposed to be the dragon from Genshin. No idea if that has been followed up on yet since Chapter 18 is not out yet on Global so we'll see.

Last edited:

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
Don't go for Jean unless you have hundreds of dollars ready to throw at the screen just for the shot of getting Jean. Rolling for Jean is pain.

From my experience playing beta, definitely save any money you're willing to spend for the bonus +pull chance banners or the temporary banners. The default odds of getting Jean is going to be pain.

No you don't get it. I am going to need to rerol for jean

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
The main game is almost completely solo. There is co-op, but it's dungeon/fuck around focused. You have to play the story missions solo, and you can't pick up important items (nor interact with chests) in co-op. It's mostly for fucking around in the open world but also things like instanced co-op content. You also must have unique characters for dungeons.
Oh that's a huge bummer. Was hoping this would be good for some occasional co-op fun, but those are the types of restrictions that are going to keep me and my friends from doing that.

AkiraAkira

Dec 28, 2017
For those interested, I'm creating a discord server for Genshin Impact. It's public, but it will only be advertised here on Era so the community should stay pretty tight knit. It's basically ready. I even have a little news bot that syncs with the Genshin Impact Twitter account. All that remains is the most important step: adding the discord emojis.

Not sure when I'll post the invite to the discord on here because there's not much to talk about yet. But you'll hear from me again as we near release.

:blobsalute:

anemovision

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Aug 8, 2018
Is it worth joining the official discord? I tried but they wanted me to verify with a phone to use it? I don't know how that works but seems weird.

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Looking through the video you linked there was a part describing the gods that does sound a lot like Herrschers. I'm curious as to whether there will just mainly be references or if they will eventually have more overt elements although I guess the "Unknown God" could be considered that when you look at her appearance, abilities and voice actor. I'm really curious because HI3 lore is pretty extensive to the point that I spent hours reading through wikis before I even started playing the game so I'm interested to see how Genshin will end up fitting within everything.

I'm glad to see that they plan to support both for a long time. Honkai Impact 3rd has become my main game for now and from what I've seen of Genshin Impact it's likely to join it.

I also want to see those 5 other continents because the videos of the first two look amazing so far.

EDIT: Here's the original link I was looking at before. It's from the latest chapter of HI3.

I completely forgot about this image that was shown at the end of the chapter.

vtE7V0d.jpg

Bottom right is supposed to be the dragon from Genshin. No idea if that has been followed up on yet since Chapter 18 is not out yet on Global so we'll see.

I know hardly anything about Honkai Impact 3rd. What I heard about it sounds pretty complicated and deep though. I will read up on it in the future for sure.
Genshin will probably be just as deep. I mentioned it in here before, but the depth of Genshin Impact's lore is astonishing to me. There's so much interesting stuff to learn by just exploring the game world. It's almost on an The Elder Scrolls game level. Every place has a meaning and a history. You come across a ruin for example and it's not just a pretty prop like in most other games. There will be an interesting story behind it.
So it always annoys me when I hear others, that literally just noticed GI and just watched a single trailer, sneer at it and call it a cheap BotW rip-off without anything special or any imagination of its own.
During the recent State of Play I was tagged in a Nintendo-focused thread here on Era and checking it out there were a couple guys ripping into the game and I remember one being like: "Why do these clones never have 1/10 of the original's charm?" I wonder if they'll ever learn how ignorant they were and what they are missing out on. ;)

Is it worth joining the official discord? I tried but they wanted me to verify with a phone to use it? I don't know how that works but seems weird.

To be perfectly honest, other than hearing news from the community managers directly there, the GI Discord is pretty hmm...I don't want to say anything negative, because there are only nice people there...it's often a bit chaotic and a bit immature. I guess, many GI fans are just literally very young. There's hardly any deeper discussion possible. Every time I tried to discuss the game in the past it quickly devolved again into just walls of waifu talk and Paimon memes and gifs. I bet that's what they are doing right now as I type this. (Edit: No, they have a proper game discussion at the moment, lol.) The GI Discord being what it usually is was the main reason I opened this thread. ;)

For those interested, I'm creating a discord server for Genshin Impact. It's public, but it will only be advertised here on Era so the community should stay pretty tight knit. It's basically ready. I even have a little news bot that syncs with the Genshin Impact Twitter account. All that remains is the most important step: adding the discord emojis.

Not sure when I'll post the invite to the discord on here because there's not much to talk about yet. But you'll hear from me again as we near release.

:blobsalute:

Aww...why though? :( It'd be awesome if the discussion kept on going here and in the future OT.

Last edited:

AkiraAkira

Dec 28, 2017
Aww...why though? :( It'd be awesome if the discussion kept on going here and in the future OT.

Worry not! Having a discord isn't going to detract from the discussion that takes place here. It's just nice to have options regarding your social media platform of choice - and a devoted discord offers different benefits that a message board like this doesn't necessarily provide. I'll be posting on both :)

Also, like you mentioned earlier, big official discords often attract chaos and immaturity...which isn't to say that smaller ones don't (the current ERA gacha discord I'm a part of has a notorious amount of memers - myself included), but the sense of community and respect develps a lot more nicely when everyone knows each other. I'm creating this server specifically because I'm not a fan of the genshin impact official discord and because I want a server where everyone's voice won't get drowned out by a huge population of active users. Plus, smaller discords are a lot more fun :D

Dec 14, 2017
To anyone wondering about GI and HI3 connections, they are connected. As mentioned above by VanillaCakeIsBurning, mihoyo is setting up a multiverse of sorts.

But HI3 lore and story is still ongoing and pretty complicated with multiple timelines/time-travel and characters that are 50,000+ years old. yeah, it goes maximum anime and beyond. The biggest takeaways I would suggest if you are interested is to familiarize yourself with houkai, herrschers, and Schicksal. From there you can piece together the broad story and i'm willing to bet will be enough to recognize things in GI.

Dec 14, 2017
What's with Mihoyo's affinity for German?
No idea, but they have a lot of affinity for western history in general. There's another group in HI universe called Anti-Entropy that's based in America and is lead by gender-bent versions of Tesla and Einstein. In fact, there are tons of gender-bent classical/historical figures in HI, from Monet to Dracula... it gets pretty crazy

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's something I can get behind. On big servers I feel it's impossible to keep up with anything.
Big discord servers + anime avatars are usually a safe place for the kind of bigots i'd like not to talk to on the internet (aka racist / sexist ones). So yeah i enjoy small discord servers a lot more.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Big discord servers + anime avatars are usually a safe place for the kind of bigots i'd like not to talk to on the internet (aka racist / sexist ones). So yeah i enjoy small discord servers a lot more.

To be honest I think I am a member on a few big servers but I tucked them away in some folder so I have no idea what's going on there. I probably should clean out my Discord servers sometimes, most of them are for games I intended to play but never got around to, I'm not surprised that a bad community can form around them :/

But yeah small and "slow" communities is where it's at, everything else feels tiring.

AkiraAkira

Dec 28, 2017
To be honest I think I am a member on a few big servers but I tucked them away in some folder so I have no idea what's going on there. I probably should clean out my Discord servers sometimes, most of them are for games I intended to play but never got around to, I'm not surprised that a bad community can form around them :/

But yeah small and "slow" communities is where it's at, everything else feels tiring.

Agreed! The GenshinERA discord I'm making will only be advertised on the OT and maybe the gacha hangout thread, so it won't get too big.

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Woof. Got the entire (available) map open now. Still no idea how to gt Xiangling, haha.

Strange... It seems as if they didn't just took the gacha out, but also all extra characters other than the MC, Amber, Kaeya and Lisa. Normally there would be an event in one of the dungeons that'll reward you with Xiangling.
But I guess this proves the game is playable fine with just the base character roster and weapons you find and upgrade playing the game. :)

Is there any kind of PVP? Or other endgame activities?

No PvP planned. Other endgame activities, sure!
By the way, there's a character in the game that's called Ganyu, which is very close to your name. :)

While there have been big news recently about the dates for the PC and mobile version and the confirmed Fall release for PS4, we've not seen any news of new game content for a while. Normally I had something new to share several times per week. Now I'm sitting here like...

tenor.gif

Last edited:

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Strange... It seems as if they didn't just took the gacha out, but also all extra characters other than the MC, Amber, Kaeya and Lisa. Normally there would be an event in one of the dungeons that'll reward you with Xiangling.
But I guess this proves the game is playable fine with just the base character roster and weapons you find and upgrade playing the game. :)
Which dungeon would she be in though? I've only done a few so far. I assume one in Liyue.

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, I like BotW's art style a little more, but GI has a more interesting looking world.

Yeah, BotW's art style is more Ghibi anime: a bit more mature, moody and grounded, while GI art style is typically fantasy anime: cute, colorful, fantastical.
I agree that GI has a more interesting looking world. It has more detail and is denser in landmarks/sights. Especially in Liyue you can't really turn any corner without being awe-inspired by something: A valley full of waterfalls, a beautiful bamboo forest, the prettiest little village or a uniquely shaped mountain covered in mist...

BTW, question, in the betas, how long was it roughly, between starting the game and being able to gacha?

You are asking because of rerolling, aren't ya? XD
It took about half an hour for the wish aka gacha system to unlock. If we reach all the pre-registration rewards you should at that point also have enough acquaint fates for a 10 pull.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Nah, it is in Mondstadt and it is called the Abyss dungeon or tower. Also from CBT3 I remember her event being promoted from the start in the menu.
I'm willing to bet I just didn't go there or need to go back at a higher AR or something. There was that promotion in the start menu and I did her cooking quest for the cookoff in Springvale and that involved doing a dungeon with her as a guest, too.

It's funny how little info there is on this online.

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny how little info there is on this online.

Not really, because the CBT you are playing is pretty different to other CBTs and it is under NDA (for some reason), so it's only normal you don't find much yet.

Here is a video of where and how you had to unlock Xiangling in prior CBTs:

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I really want Jean, ok?

I totally get you, lol. Did you already pre-register and followed GI on Youtube and Facebook? Because only if we reach all the goals you are sure to have a 10 pull ready right when the gacha unlocks.
How does rerolling actually work? Is it considered cheating/hacking? Would one be able to do it on PS4 as well (just asking for a friend!)? Playing the beta I didn't see an option to delete my current progress and to start anew. Would I even get 10 pulls again or is it a one time gift for each account, do you have to make a completely new account?

Anyway, I just saw they reached 1 million pre-registers already! :D

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
I totally get you, lol. Did you already pre-register and followed GI on Youtube and Facebook? Because only if we reach all the goals you are sure to have a 10 pull ready right when the gacha unlocks.
How does rerolling actually work? Is it considered cheating/hacking? Would one be able to do it on PS4 as well (just asking for a friend!)? Playing the beta I didn't see an option to delete my current progress and to start anew. Would I even get 10 pulls again or is it a one time gift for each account. Do you have to make a completely new account?

Anyway, I just saw they reached 1 million pre-registers already! :D

The jist of it, is you basically throw away your account and make a new one. You don't have to necessarily hack anything for it, but it can often be against TOS, where they like to specify "one account per person". More convenient way to reroll on mobile, however, tend to involve using ROOT to delete account files and technically that does involve accessing files you aren't supposed to,

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The jist of it, is you basically throw away your account and make a new one. You don't have to necessarily hack anything for it, but it can often be against TOS, where they like to specify "one account per person". More convenient way to reroll on mobile, however, tend to involve using ROOT to delete account files and technically that does involve accessing files you aren't supposed to,

That is good to know. I guess, I won't be rerolling then. ;) I don't want to go through all that trouble and I don't want to get into any trouble.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Not really, because the CBT you are playing is pretty different to other CBTs and it is under NDA (for some reason), so it's only normal you don't find much yet.

Here is a video of where and how you had to unlock Xiangling in prior CBTs:

Sunnuva... I looked up so many... damn.

K, so it looks like the PS4 beta doesn't have her in there yet for this event. The one that was there before was just the cooking mission not the Spiral Abyss (which I did start doing last night!). I'll have to wait and see if this shows up as an event a little later. It sucks this version has the NDA but I'm sure it's because of the changes to it.

Dec 14, 2017
I can't find it anywhere, or maybe I saw it but glanced right over it. But when is the open beta? Is it going to be before launch or after?

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I can't find it anywhere, or maybe I saw it but glanced right over it. But when is the open beta? Is it going to be before launch or after?

There is no open beta planned. The game already releases in a little of a month. And after release you don't really need an open beta for a F2P game, do you?

Raftina

Jun 27, 2020
Looking at some of the comments about this game here, particularly in the Black Myth Wukong Thread, makes me think that Mihoyo made a good business decision in making this a F2P gacha. There seems to be strong prejudice against anime (or cartoon in general) aesthetic games, deriding them as cheap and low tech compared to realistic games. Rather unfair, since you cannot make assets, animation, and effects like Genshin on the cheap.

But the prejudice is there. The best selling anime aesthetic games are what? Dragon Quest at 5 million, Persona 5 at 4 million, Fire Emblem 3H at 2 million, and Xenoblade 2 at 2 million? These are all known franchises with large publishers backing them. Because this is a new IP without an existing fanbase, and because they based the game aesthetics on BotW, I do not think they would have gotten enough sales to justify making this game a one-time purchase, even with expansion packs for the other regions sold separately.

But hey, that just means I get to play a beautiful game for free (or little money).

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Are you meant to get a confirmation e-mail for a successful pre-registration? I didn't get anything so I'm not sure if it worked correctly.

AkiraAkira

Dec 28, 2017
I'm tempted to re-roll in this game too, but the process looks like it's going to be super rough, especially on top of the low rates. I think I'll preserve my sanity and just play with the hand I'm dealt with (and then whale for the rest lol).

Status
Not open for further replies.