• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
Popular Chinese mobile games can get billion dollars revenue easily.
$200m is not that unreasonable if it includes R&D, marketing budget (can be as big as dev budget).

The most important thing is how can they keep people playing Genshin Impact yearly.

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
Every YouTube vidéo i watch , i got a genshin impact vidéo or honkai something haha. They put a lot of Money on marketing

Billdrew

Apr 8, 2019
After the last event I can only assume the majority of the staff are working on Inazuma, which will hopefully release sooner rather than later and hopefully be as well designed as Dragonspine was but on a much larger scale. Plus all the new characters they will need for it. Seems like we're almost done with current area characters

Ravio-li

Dec 24, 2018
People in here also forget that they won't be getting content like version 1.3. and 1.4 till the end of time. They are working at the same time on Liyue-sized new with new story, new lore, at least a dozen new characters, new enemies, events and so on. It'll be th size and content of a singular open world game.
It's good they are stocking up the developer number from around 500 to 700. Should make them able to get good quality content out faster.
People will just rush through that as well and complain a week after that there is no new content^^

Honest question to all that play more live-service games that I do: is there a game where people are actually happy with the amount of new stuff per month? Because I see this complaint all the time. It's not exactly like you can materialize new areas and quests out of thin air.

mieumieu

Oct 25, 2017
The Farplane
I would have imagine a Chinese studio is significantly cheaper to man and run than a North American one (which are pretty much all in the highest cost of living areas of the world). There is a reason NA studios outsource a probable majority of AAA development work to China (see any recent credit roll). These numbers don't even begin to make logical sense.
It's getting closer (1/2 or even more m, in my experience) in per head operation costs compared to the west. Top game industry salaries are high in areas like Shanghai (with top 10 real estate pricing in the world, mind you) and living costs are getting closer to many developed countries.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
With how well the characters are realized, the tons of content they added since release and the marketing behind it...yeah works out. Not that it matters with them making that money easily. Genshin already made its development cost back at launch. Unlike Blizzard, PUBG etc. you got the whales here so the train won't stop and they are doing a great job with the game.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Another note on everybody wondering about the cost. You do realize (for those who don't know the game) or remember (for those that do know the game) that they are going above and beyond in production value? Like having the London Philharmonic and Shanghai Symphonic orchestras record hours of music and hiring only the most popular voice actors of 4 languages (English, Japanese, Chinese and Korean) for the characters. Yuri Lowenthal aka Spider-Man is in this, and he has been having a looooot of lines so far.
This production value goes of course into other aspects of the game as well.

I would have imagine a Chinese studio is significantly cheaper to man and run than a North American one (which are pretty much all in the highest cost of living areas of the world). There is a reason NA studios outsource a probable majority of AAA development work to China (see any recent credit roll). These numbers don't even begin to make logical sense.

Running the studio itself might be cheaper, but many other things they gotta pay international prices for. like hiring the London Philharmonic Orchestra or Yuri Lowenthal-tier voice actors.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Another note on everybody wondering about the cost. You do realize (for those who don't know the game) or remember (for those that do) that they are going above and beyond in production value? Like having the London Philharmonic and Shanghai Symphonie orchestras record hours of music and hiring only the most popular voice actors of 4 languages (English, Japanese, Chinese and Korean) for the characters. Yuri Loventhal aka Spider-Man is in this, and he has been having a looooot of text so far.
This production value goes of course into other aspects of the game as well.

Running the studio itself might be cheaper, but many other things they gotta pay international prices for. like hiring the London Philharmonic Orchestra or Yuri Lowenthal-tier voice actors.

Man the japanese cast is crazy too. As you said the productions values are high.

p3n

Oct 28, 2017
I can totally see that amount being realistic if it includes R&D and they keep up the crazy production value.

But maybe that production value will bite them sooner rather than later. The first new big area (Inazuma) and with it the continuation of the traveller story has been postponed 2 times already. Going from a January release to March and now it wont release for quite some time maybe even as far out as the end of the year. The roadmap has 5 of those giant game-sized areas on it even before the story setup will be complete. That 10 year support plan might just be enough to release all the elemental skills for the traveller.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rockstar is not spending $200 million ever year to support GTA Online LMFAO
From a wiki search -

Analyst estimations place the game's combined development and marketing budget at more than GB£170 million (US$265 million), which would make it the most expensive game ever made at that time.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
A billion players with that trashy ass art style

genshin-impact-lantern-rite-festival.jpg

genshin-impact-25.jpg

50394041768_b53e25da1e_o.png

"Trashy ass" huh? And with each region itself being about as big (and siginificantly more dense) as the entire map in other open world games as well? Never change Era.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
People will just rush through that as well and complain a week after that there is no new content^^

Honest question to all that play more live-service games that I do: is there a game where people are actually happy with the amount of new stuff per month? Because I see this complaint all the time. It's not exactly like you can materialize new areas and quests out of thin air.

Well, that is on them though, lol. I play the game very differently and still have lots to do. I recently checked and I have been playing this game for 425 hours (damn...) but I am still exploring Liyue, finding new treasures, new quests...

I don't play any other live-service game, so I wouldn't know....but I have heard things of course. I honestly can't imagine me being able to handle two toxic and whiney big game communities at once. ;)

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
It's sounds reasonable if they include marketing in that number, but production costs are generally separated from marketing costs.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
won't go far as to handwave $200m/yr but if every big game (especially online/service) had its budget disclosed there would be similar sticker shock

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
It's a metaphorical $200m. Not an actual $200m.

In other words, they will spend more operating the game than they did developing the game as they plan to constantly update it with new content.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
And this whole time I assumed it was an indie dev team (purely because of the art style feeling like they took shortcuts to get a game going by heavily basing the visual design on another game - BotW).

Haven't actually played it before so wasn't familiar with how much effort they put into the game mechanics tho.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
genshin-impact-lantern-rite-festival.jpg

genshin-impact-25.jpg

50394041768_b53e25da1e_o.png

"Trashy ass" huh? And with each region itself being about as big (and siginificantly more dense) as the entire map in other open world games as well? Never change Era.

I'd honestly ignore them. They've been calling the game's art "garbage" and "trash" and "charmless" since it got its first thread here. They should be a little more consistent though, since on one hand it is supposedly trash art and on the other hand it supposedly ripped off everybody's darling BotW's art. So what is it now?

Clarification: I don't think Genshin looks visually closer to BotW than it looks to many other anime games. It's an art style that's been around for many years and is featured in by now countless games and is inspired from fantasy anime which are around for decades now.
The visually closest game to Genshin is imo Tales of Vesperia:

tales-of-vesperia-xbox-360.jpg

Both In environment art and character design and no one called that game's art trash...well, I'm sure there are those people too, lol.

Last edited:

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow

I'm not rushing, I was logging in only for like a month, and playing very minorly for awhile... And I still out of majority of content.
Some of this content you can't even take at your own pace if you wanted it. Limited events will not wait for you. So if you want those rewards.... better strap in

Chamon

Feb 26, 2019
People seeing the dollar symbol and thinking it must be Yen, because a chinese company surely uses japanese currency 😂

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Genshins marketing seems absolutely massive as does the level design on new areas. Theres a LOT of world still being built.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
From a wiki search -

Analyst estimations place the game's combined development and marketing budget at more than GB£170 million (US$265 million), which would make it the most expensive game ever made at that time.

Do you actually read and understand English?

Rockstar spent this amount of money over a period of 4-5 years, here we are talking about $200 million/year to support GI.

Make 200m*4 years (for example) and you are getting 800m spent to support the game, which is completely insane.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Working in healthcare IT for a large network it's kind of funny seeing what the public thinks is a large budget. $200m in a year is big money? That's our March.

But anyways it does seem like a hue endeavor. I hope the best for them.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Seems a little weird they expect to spend twice as much on supporting it than they did making it from the beginning given some of the relatively weak content they've been adding. Maybe future content will be a lot more ambitious than what we've gotten thus far

Mar 11, 2020
I noticed a lot of people are missing the fact they have voicework in like 5? different languages, plus simultaneous translations of these events. It's honestly kinda crazy

Ravio-li

Dec 24, 2018
I'm not rushing, I was logging in only for like a month, and playing very minorly for awhile... And I still out of majority of content.
Some of this content you can't even take at your own pace if you wanted it. Limited events will not wait for you. So if you want those rewards.... better strap in
The event content is actually the reason why I still have to do most of the character questlines and finish the Archon quests. I always have to pause them to do the current event stuff. I guess some just play through the content faster than others.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I know nothing about the game... But if it has any gacha elements and the player base is relatively large, 200 mil is a drop in the bucket.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017

I think we need to properly differentiate lack of new content with lack of interesting repeatable content.

A game like monster hunter does not get new content every month but can still acheive people spending a huge amount of time into it, not because they need to log once every day but because they actively want to grind that content. Most mmorpg do the same, even if it might mean unsubscribing a few month when things get stall because you played it too much too fast.

Most people who complain about content with Genshin are not saying that we need a new Dragonspine every month, but rather new content you will go back to and grind ( outside of the Resin limitation ) like the Abyss.

The way we spend our daily playtime in the game didn't change much since the game release, a new world boss a new domain a new weekly boss ( which sadly takes on our limited resin pool, so it add variety but not playtime ) and.... the 3 weekly reputation hunt for that weekly 90k mora that's pretty much it. Oh and the daily Rich Ore Reserves.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
200m per year seems like chump change for them. I hope their ambition doesn't outgrow what they can realistically deliver though. I guess we'll see how fully realized the third major region is.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Something doesn't add up. This is produced in China, and even in Tier 1 city developer salary would be around $2-3K a month on average depending on seniority.

A very good and senior dev could probably get more, but it would still be well under 6 figures US unless it's a hotshot startup and the dev in question got headhunted from the West or something.

Here is like first hit on Google for 2020. Divide by 6-7 to get $ amount (since Yuan fluctuates).

Survey of programmer salaries in first-tier cities in 2020 - Programmer Sought

Survey of programmer salaries in first-tier cities in 2020, Programmer Sought, the best programmer technical posts sharing site.

So with 17K Yuan salary average (on a high side unless the studio is in Beijing), I get about $24mil a year when converted to USD (being overly generous on conversion rate). Now, add executive compensation, benefits, etc...

So $200mil must include office rent and huge marketing cost. Like tremendous marketing cost. Also I wonder if localization teams are included in the 700 people count. If they are outsourced, could be another separate cost to be counted.

Vylder

Oct 25, 2017
They need to stop making everything a fucking limited event and start adding some permanent content to the game. The wait for the next region is so long that I feel like they won't make it really far at this rate. No way people will keep playing this until the last region is released.

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are these numbers in yen or what? Because how? Unless that includes marketing and everything in that $200 million amount.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
For ongoing mobile games, not really. This isn't one of the big huge devs that are common with triple A stuff. This came out of nowhere

This is a $100 million game on mobile, PC and PS4.

MiHoYo alone employs 1500 devs.

"came out of nowhere" -> They spent millions in marketing and released the game on 3 platforms and they are the people behing Honkai Impact lmfao

This is not an unknown small title like Valheim that "came out of nowhere"

Ravio-li

Dec 24, 2018
Most people who complain about content with Genshin are not saying that we need a new Dragonspine every month, but rather new content you will go back to and grind ( outside of the Resin limitation ) like the Abyss.
I'm not yet at this point where I've run out of stuff but I can agree here. Personally, I would like something like the dungeons you get in storyquests, but maybe rougelike and random layouts. Currently all of the non open world content is just arenafights. I also hope the tower defense minigame will eventually become a permanent addition.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Sure didn't show it with the 1.3 patch, that's for sure.

It'll become apparent when Chasm and Inazuma come out with all new music, characters, gameplay types, and so on, but these 12 weeks look ROUGH.