• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Why is that "more likely"? Because it's what people want to believe and makes them feel better about the situation? What evidence is there that allows anyone to draw a conclusion either way other than the one they badly want to believe?

Judging by Yakuza on Game Pass and how the series probably only came to Xbox One by Microsoft throwing up the money for ports, considering how Game Pass operates. And the fact that Yakuza: Like a Dragon was made for current-gen, and PS5 users will just buy the PS4 version anyway. Annnnd given what we know about Microsoft's stance on moneyhatting.

Obviously I don't know anything for sure man, just guessing based on the knowledge I have.

Im questioning said "theories". Two scenarios have been presented I'm wondering what makes one "more likely" than the other.

"Questioning said theories" = "Why do you think that's the most likely scenario?"

Not: 'Why do you think that, because it makes you feel better about so and so?" That's antagonizing.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
Yakuza games aren't exactly big sellers. So if a little extra cash from Microsoft helps keep the series afloat for a timed exclusive release I'm not gonna get mad.

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020
I REALLY wouldn't put much stake into there not being a PS5 version. The rating having X1/XSX I think is fully due to how the game is marked on the box.

71HxdqczJpL.png

As the game isn't even listed as having 4K or HDR on XSX as of right now.
www.xbox.com

Optimized for Series X|S | Xbox

Games Optimized for Xbox Series X|S will showcase unparalleled visuals.

So it doesn't seem the XSX version of Yakuza 7 is going to be this earth shatteringly different experience than when you put your PS4 disc into the PS5.

Yup, I agree with this too.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Judging by Yakuza on Game Pass and how the series probably only came to Xbox One by Microsoft throwing up the money for ports, considering how Game Pass operates. And the fact that Yakuza: Like a Dragon was made for current-gen, and PS5 users will just buy the PS4 version anyway. Annnnd given what we know about Microsoft's stance on moneyhatting.

Obviously I don't know anything for sure man, just guessing based on the knowledge I have.

"Questioning said theories" = "Why do you think that's the most likely scenario?"

Not: 'Why do you think that, because it makes you feel better about so and so?" That's antagonizing.

I'm just doing my own theorizing.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
It HAS to be rated by ESRB since "XBOX SERIES X" is on the case.

PS4 disk case has no reference to PS5, thus doesn't need the rating.

PS4 disk can still give you the a "PS5 upgrade patch" since that doesn't fall under ESRB. But The Xbox version needs the rating since it's being sold as an Xbox One/Xbox Series X product.
Yep. That's really all this is lol

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
I REALLY wouldn't put much stake into there not being a PS5 version. The rating having X1/XSX I think is fully due to how the game is marked on the box.

71HxdqczJpL.png

www.xbox.com

So it doesn't seem the XSX version of Yakuza 7 is going to be this earth shatteringly different experience than when you put your PS4 disc into the PS5.

Surely this argument rolls over to so many PS5 and XSX games that are "cross gen" and will not feature 60fps / HDR / 4k native resolutions (eg Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines 2, and a few other games list on the XB website)?

Meanwhile from Kiwami 2 on PC, we can see there can be a really large improvement to framerate / resolution / fidelity IF the developer chooses to do so on the consoles. It's just much more obvious that Dragon Engine is quite demanding, where even a reference 2080ti can't do "Ultra" 4k 60fps. But you can play it at a slightly lower resolution and it looks and performs incredibly vs "current gen" consoles.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, I doubt they really care tbh

I imagine they'll care when the game bombs this fall because they stupidly delayed it to the holiday season, when it will have a ton of competition from way more high-profile games, instead of releasing it in the first half of the year like the other games in the series.

It's a cocky, ballsy move, and a move that's going to hurt them way more than help them.

Deleted member 4532

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

71HxdqczJpL.png

www.xbox.com

I think this is the likely explanation

Chuck795

May 7, 2020
I imagine they'll care when the game bombs this fall because they stupidly delayed it to the holiday season, when it will have a ton of competition from way more high-profile games, instead of releasing it in the first half of the year like the other games in the series.

It's a cocky, ballsy move, and a move that's going to hurt them way more than help them.
Maybe that's the quickest they could get it out? This Yakuza has more text than any other in the series from what I've heard.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017

why are you so mad?

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018

Yakuza does well even outside of PS now, it'll be fine. Hell, it's not like the game isn't coming out on PlayStation

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

There'll be one PlayStation version and one Xbox version at launch.

This really does seem like Sony not wanting to brand updated PS4 games as 'PS5' on the boxes. Similar to how Dirt 5 looks to have a PS4 and a PS5 version but on Xbox it's just one version. I'm almost certain this is just branding differences between the two companies.

I'm sure the PS4 version would say 'PS4/PS5' if Sony were doing that type of branding.

Edit: Just realised you're complaining about them delaying the localisation at all - my mistake. As you were!

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020

The attach rate on new consoles is really high. Launching alongside a new console is a really good opportunity to get people to buy it that may not have looked at the series before.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017

71HxdqczJpL.png

www.xbox.com

Pretty much. Xbox has one box for both versions so they can advertise the game for both systems and put the smart delivery tag. This is the same with Ubisoft games. When the xsx next gen patch comes for those games, there will be a ps5 version on shelves. Sony cant put a ps5 version on shelves when it is still PS4 version

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
The attach rate on new consoles is really high. Launching alongside a new console is a really good opportunity to get people to buy it that may not have looked at the series before.
In previous generations maybe. It isn't like there's a choice of 10 games at launch. We have a choice of thousands

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Yakuza games aren't exactly big sellers. So if a little extra cash from Microsoft helps keep the series afloat for a timed exclusive release I'm not gonna get mad.

Yakuza isn't a heavy hitter IP that's true, but not only it's a healthy IP but it's a healthy IP basically because of Sony and PS users.
So I don't know if pissing off the fan base that kept the series alive in its worst moments for a quick grabcash is a good move.
But I still think, and kinda hope, that or this hasn't been clarified because of marketing deals or most likely because of the possible scenario brought by Jawmuncher .
Let's wait and see.
But as someone who has bought all the mainline games, and some of them just for support even tho I know I wasn't going to play at that time, I really hope SEGA doesn't screw this for a quick cash. This will only hurt them in the long run, you can be sure.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

We'll see. Yakuza always gets overlooked when it has to compete with big-ticket AAA releases, and I get the feeling the same thing is gonna happen this fall.

The reason the series has been doing well up until this point has been that the releases were timed in such a way that they weren't being overshadowed by huge games like AC, Halo and the like. This year Yakuza 7 has to compete with ALL of that, plus Playstation's exclusive launch titles. Why would anyone but the truest diehards invest in Y7 this November?

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
We should be playing the game now, not waiting until a new console launch to play it.

And Sega have decided the game stands a better chance of being noticed as part of a launch lineup when people tend to splurge and they have a fairly unique product.

I'm sure it will get a PS5 patch too but if not, you can always just buy a Xbox Series X if next-gen enhancements for this game are important to you.

HelloItsPulse

Dec 14, 2017
I'm seeing a lot of negative sentiment about Xbox regarding this, but how would this be any different from Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo being timed exclusive to PS5? At least in this case, you'll still be able to play Yakuza 7 on your PS5 with the PS4 version. Xbox owners can't play those two games at all.

It's not like Xbox paid Sega to keep Yakuza 7 off the PS4, while Playstation paid Bethesda to keep Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo off both Xbox platforms.

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
I figured it was a similar situation to when the Yakuza ps4 games were localized after the PS4 Pro came out. There were no enhancements for Pro when the west got the game and I'm assuming it's the same case here.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
i doubt there is any moneyhat here. the game you play at launch is going to be the same as the PS4 version with boost mode type enhancements on ps5 and xsx. if there is a ps5 version, it will be out the same day as the xsx patch.

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
The Series X version does have enhancements. They went over it in the gameplay demo on IGN a few weeks back.
Oh I was specifically talking about the Playstation versions. Since there's no 'PS5 version' (since of course it's not actually out yet lol) in the original release we likely won't see a ps5 version here.

I could be wrong tho. Also I didn't know there was a game play demo, I'll go check it out! Thanks.

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Don't really know what they can add besides resolution and frame-rate to be honest. native 4k would be cool, but 60 fps on a turn based RPG, while nice isn't necessary imo.

I'll just play the PS4 version via PS5 BC.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I'm seeing a lot of negative sentiment about Xbox regarding this, but how would this be any different from Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo being timed exclusive to PS5? At least in this case, you'll still be able to play Yakuza 7 on your PS5 with the PS4 version. Xbox owners can't play those two games at all.

It's not like Xbox paid Sega to keep Yakuza 7 off the PS4, while Playstation paid Bethesda to keep Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo off both Xbox platforms.

Maybe it's because PS users are the only ones that have played the whole series and the ones that supported it when SEGA didn't even care to localize the games last gen ; )

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hope this isn't the only kind of Japanese support Spencer is proud about to Show on the upcoming event.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
i doubt there is any moneyhat here. the game you play at launch is going to be the same as the PS4 version with boost mode type enhancements on ps5 and xsx. if there is a ps5 version, it will be out the same day as the xsx patch.

The Xbox Series X version is optimised for the system, it's not a boost mode type situation.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Was getting the PS4 version regardless. No way in hell am I waiting until a possible PS5 version or just to play it on PS5 down the road lol

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017

71HxdqczJpL.png

www.xbox.com

That wouldn't be the case though. Crash 4 has Series X on the box as well but it's not under the Series X Optimized list.

6413923cv11d.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=550

If it was simply just BC, there wouldn't be a Series X Optimized badge on it.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
And Sega have decided the game stands a better chance of being noticed as part of a launch lineup when people tend to splurge and they have a fairly unique product.

I'm sure it will get a PS5 patch too but if not, you can always just buy a Xbox Series X if next-gen enhancements for this game are important to you.

We'll see what happens. Right now, I'm pissed off that Sega is refusing to even talk about the subject. If the PS5 and XSX versions are the same, there's no harm done. Just tell us.

But if they're upgrading the game for XSX and the PS5 version is literally just the PS4 version with no changes, I just won't buy the game period. I'm not supporting exclusivity on next-gen upgrades in any way.