eseqko

Oct 27, 2017
CERO and ESRB exist so that a game like this and a game like Cyberpunk 2077 seemingly are rated equally. It doesn't necessarily happen that way, but this looks even shadier when a company obscurely decides to rate your game without knowing what the standards are.

What are devs being told when their game gets rejected? At least with a ratings board the dev is told "your game will be given an AO rating unless this this and this gets changed."

WhiskerFrisker

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I really don't see this picking up steam. You're asking why Western gaming sites won't pick up the story but look at the games in question. If you all are so pissed, voice your concerns. Let's see how far it takes you.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
You'd think the people who call themselves "journalists" would be against censorship in any form

Yeah, sorry, "Sony won't let us show as much anime boob" is news in the sense that Sony's policies suddenly changed, but not in the sense that it's a pressing issue of censorship.

Until this actually affects something that's not literally just toning down fanservice (which may already be a toned down H scene), I am not exactly concerned in the same way that Valve's sudden banning of things did. And I think pointing out double standards is also fair, because people do tend to dismiss stuff that's in Western media, but I also don't think this fanservice directed at the player - and directly being used as a selling point - is exactly 1:1 with sex or even some nudity.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its pretty crazy how Sony a Japanese company moved headquarters to the US and Playstation essentially becoming an American company and they start doing this

Edit: whoops double post
Follow the money where the money is. Not only has the US been the #1 video game market since the dawn of time but unlike the 90s Japan has greatly reduced its importance and continues to shrink.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I will say this about Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE: Even though the localization changes were ridiculous, at least they weren't just white streams of light.

You know whats sad. I remember how much angry and reaction all over Gaf and net when the censorship happen for TMS and of course XCX with people calling nintendo heads and how they are ruining Art lol.

And now, people just suddenly turn 360 and said... nah it is okay guys. Censorship is good. It is long overdue. Sony the good guys lol.

At least nintendo censorship does not hurt other third party devs like what Sony is doing here where they literally is bullying small devs. I would bet Sony would not dare to do all this shit to bigger devs both west and japan because they love the $$$.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You know whats sad. I remember how much angry and reaction all over Gaf and net when the censorship happen for TMS and of course XCX with people calling nintendo heads and how they are ruining Art lol.

And now, people just suddenly turn 360 and said... nah it is okay guys. Censorship is good. It is long overdue. Sony the good guys lol.

At least nintendo censorship does not hurt other third party devs like what Sony is doing here where they literally is bullying small devs. I would bet Sony would not dare to do all this shit to bigger devs both west and japan because they love the $$$.
Totally different groups. I guarantee you the same people okay with the edits back then are okay with these edits now.

Nathan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
France
If this is a start of a new trend I think these developers will have to strongly consider the PC market as a viable alternative to the console market, especially when we know that
Not only has the US been the #1 video game market since the dawn of time but unlike the 90s Japan has greatly reduced its importance and continues to shrink.
I heard that PC gaming is cheap, affordable in Asia and it's constantly growing. On the other hand the modern consoles are struggling. Correct me if I said something wrong

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Follow the money where the money is. Not only has the US been the #1 video game market since the dawn of time but unlike the 90s Japan has greatly reduced its importance and continues to shrink.

Its still 3rd globally behind the China at #1 and US at #2 if you count everything. Just most of that is mobile at this point. Still, with mainland Asia having an increase in sales I would have thought there's still motivation for Sony to leave such games alone but I guess not.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Totally different groups. I guarantee you the same people okay with the edits back then are okay with these edits now.
Yeah, anyone remember the thread on the other site where the UN tried to ban sexual violence in all Japanese media. Some people would rather remove a creator's artistic freedom if it means removing anything that they view as wrong.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017

I think people are also missing the more direct "follow the money" here, at least when it comes to comparing content with Western games: these games sell like, what, 10k-20k copies maybe, and only in Japan? Yeah, they're maybe gonna let something that sells millions worldwide get away with more stuff. Even ignoring the fact that every CG being fanservice is a bit different than "we did have some sexualized stuff amid the 10s and 10s of hours of stuff you do in this game".

Correct, because TMS's edits were totally fine and at most Xenoblade X should have been a little less restrictive with the editor changes for player characters. It was nothing worth throwing a fit ever.

There's a least some arguments to be made about policies suddenly changing and the English requirements and such here.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I think people are also missing the more direct "follow the money" here, at least when it comes to comparing content with Western games: these games sell like, what, 10k-20k copies maybe, and only in Japan? Yeah, they're maybe gonna let something that sells millions worldwide get away with more stuff. Even ignoring the fact that every CG being fanservice is a bit different than "we did have some sexualized stuff amid the 10s and 10s of hours of stuff you do in this game".
The question is then why does the content in these games have to be edited at all if they comply with CERO and they're so low profile that the only people who will know of such content are those who seek it.
Correct, because TMS's edits were totally fine
Eh, TMS had some truly absurd examples, and the West didn't even get some rather innocuous DLC content because of it.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Correct, because TMS's edits were totally fine and at most Xenoblade X should have been a little less restrictive with the editor changes for player characters. It was nothing worth throwing a fit ever.

There's a least some arguments to be made about policies suddenly changing and the English requirements and such here.

I dont remember how GAF and most internet reaction toward TMS censorship is in anyway fine lol. We literally huge explosion of shit talk for that game even after the game is released.

All in all, censorship talk in gaming is always bias as the tribal gaming console warrior is always behind taking sides.

BlackLagoon

Oct 25, 2017
The game rating system in Japan is overtly hard on nudity compared to the west. Like any actual nudity at all and you get the equivalent of an AO (Z).
The CERO Z rating is purely for gore and violence, it does not allow any more nudity than a D rating. Full nudity would mean the title would get rejected.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I dont remember how GAF and most internet reaction toward TMS censorship is in anyway fine lol. We literally huge explosion of shit talk for that game even after the game is released.

All in all, censorship talk in gaming is always bias as the tribal gaming console warrior is always behind taking sides.
Ehhh, not really. TMS had some of the most ridiculous edits since the German version of Command and Conquer: Generals. Console warriorship had little to do with it.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The CERO Z rating is purely for gore and violence, it does not allow any more nudity than a D rating. Full nudity would mean the title would get rejected.
I find this so strange since I saw naked girls in 80s and 90s anime on tv a lot! Why the super tight no-nudity rules for games but not for anime, manga or movies?!

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its still 3rd globally behind the China at #1 and US at #2 if you count everything. Just most of that is mobile at this point. Still, with mainland Asia having an increase in sales I would have thought there's still motivation for Sony to leave such games alone but I guess not.

You don't need to count mobile for it. Even without it, Japan still is the third biggest console market of the world.

US is only in first for console, which like I said before, Japan is in third. China is the first overall and for PC.

And Japan hasn't "greatly reduced it's importance and continues to shrink" when the biggest companies are doing very well on this very decade, while many also did on the past one. And of course, that's only counting the video game division for those that are part of other industries like SE, Konami, Bandai Namco and Sega Sammy.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I find this so strange since I saw naked girls in 80s and 90s anime on tv a lot! Why the super tight no-nudity rules for games but not for anime, manga or movies?!

Because Cero don't have anything to do with anime, manga and movies. Movies have their own rating company which the big 4 have to deal with, anime have the TV broadcaster (if not going for ONA or OVA which aren't the majority) and manga have the editorial and the publisher of the material to decide what can be allowed in their magazine or not (which in some cases can appear in volumes like women nipples for shounen magazines which for many of the cases don't allow them on the magazine itself)

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017

I mean, yes, there was outrage from gamers.

Over nothing. And the game was fantastic, so their loss.

Ehhh, not really. TMS had some of the most ridiculous edits since the German version of Command and Conquer: Generals. Console warriorship had little to do with it.

Am I misremembering, or was it not literally just "we changed the story so the high school student wasn't going to be in gravure magazines" and then they like... altered a wedding dress costume weirdly, I think?

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if this would pick up more steam if it was a more popular title.

Like I mentioned earlier if this started affecting stuff like Persona or Soul Caliber would more people care?

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

At least i feel. The way ninty do censorship dont feel half assed lol. They actually try to alter gravure into modeling. I would be raging even crazier if they just put sword of revealing light for tms gravure scene lol.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Am I misremembering, or was it not literally just "we changed the story so the high school student wasn't going to be in gravure magazines" and then they like... altered a wedding dress costume weirdly, I think?
Quite a lot of other stuff.

8f6e3c4d743e4d8724405e969c09297e.jpg

(Then once it switched to gameplay in the localized version, there was no fire)

censura_005.jpg

censura_003.jpg

SMTxFE_Kiria_idol_outfit_comparsion.jpg

Bathing suit costumes were removed for every character, men and woman, and the hot spring dlc was never released.

That wedding costume edit really is such a travesty though. Looks like a fetish suit.
censura_006.jpg

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Quite a lot of other stuff.

8f6e3c4d743e4d8724405e969c09297e.jpg

(Then once it switched to gameplay in the localized version, there was no fire)

censura_005.jpg

censura_003.jpg

SMTxFE_Kiria_idol_outfit_comparsion.jpg

Bathing suit costumes were removed for every character, men and woman, and the hot spring dlc was never released.

That wedding costume edit really is such a travesty though. Looks like a fetish suit.
censura_006.jpg

I was kinda avoiding mentioning the whole "vagina bones" thing, but... (actually, now that phrase is all I'm going to think of when I replay TWEWY soon, thanks)

Regardless, nothing of value was lost besides the wedding costume looking weird. Kinda confused why they didn't do better with that, really, given some of the other edits.

extralite

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I was kinda avoiding mentioning the whole "vagina bones" thing, but... (actually, now that phrase is all I'm going to think of when I replay TWEWY soon, thanks)

Regardless, nothing of value was lost besides the wedding costume looking weird. Kinda confused why they didn't do better with that, really, given some of the other edits.
Way to impose your viewpoints on others. What you probably meant to say is that you don't miss these parts. Value doesn't depend on your ability to appreciate it. It obviously is of value to the ones criticizing the censorship. And to the creators, otherwise they wouldn't have put it in their art in the first place.

If Nintendo want to censor a game they publish for a more desirable age rating and the original right holders agree to that, then they have every right to exercise self censorship. People don't have to be happy with it though.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Way to impose your viewpoints on others. What you probably meant to say is that you don't miss these parts. Value doesn't depend on your ability to appreciate it. It obviously is of value to the ones criticizing the censorship. And to the creators, otherwise they wouldn't have put it in their art in the first place.

If Nintendo want to censor a game they publish for a more desirable age rating and the original right holders agree to that, then they have every right to exercise self censorship. People don't have to be happy with it though.

I agree that people have the right to throw tantrums over whatever bit of editing or localization a company does, yes.

Doesn't make it any less silly. Again, at the end of the day what we're discussing in this thread is largely "we had to show less boobs in our fanservice", not an actual artistic vision being compromised. If these were actually games that did anything interesting with sexuality, I would be more concerned.

extralite

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I agree that people have the right to throw tantrums over whatever bit of editing or localization a company does, yes.

Doesn't make it any less silly. Again, at the end of the day what we're discussing in this thread is largely "we had to show less boobs in our fanservice", not an actual artistic vision being compromised. If these were actually games that did anything interesting with sexuality, I would be more concerned.
Again, you're being dismissive about people's concerns, generalizing it as throwing tantrums, trying to make the other side look bad.

How can you prove that no "actual artistic vision [is] being compromised"? That's just your opinion. If we start to make definitions depend on subjective evaluations, they become worthless.

Anime doesn't exist in nature, it requires human artisanry to be created. And it does express the personality and culture of its creators. Therefore anime is art and everything expressed in it is part of the creator's vision.

Stop dressing up your opinions as facts. And start to show some respect for other people's opinions. Theirs are as good as yours.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Again, you're being dismissive about people's concerns, generalizing it as throwing tantrums, trying to make the other side look bad.

How can you prove that no "actual artistic vision [is] being compromised"? That's just your opinion. If we start to make definitions depend on subjective evaluations, they become worthless.

Anime doesn't exist in nature, it requires human artisanry to be created. And it does express the personality and culture of its creators. Therefore anime is art and everything expressed in it is part of the creator's vision.

Stop dressing up your opinions as facts. And start to show some respect for other people's opinions. Theirs are as good as yours.

I am absolutely being dismissive of people who whine about costume changes and such in these games because, generally, they're complaining about nothing more than seeing a little less skin on a female character. It certainly doesn't help that a lot of the fuss includes blaming feminists/"sjws"/etc. for it every time it happens, including what I've seen about this incident elsewhere.

Yes, these games are literally art by virtue of being games. But what we're talking about is fanservice CGs being edited more. The vision being compromised is literally just "you were supposed to see a boob here" and nothing more. Literally, nothing more than that. Again, I would be actually concerned if there was any sign here that games that dealt with sexuality or needed nudity to convey themes or something were being affected, and not literally just "this image of you walking in on a girl after a shower was covered up" (if I'm assuming the extremely generic situation for one in the article correctly).

And, frankly, for a lot of these things (barring, say, Senran Kagura where the devs are quite open about it) you have 0 idea what the actual preferred "artists' vision" was. You have no idea if some of these costume/CG edits were preferred because the devs actually were forced to make more revealing outfits originally to sell people on the game more, and so on.

quick EDIT: Honestly what bothers me most about this stuff is how people (in general, not just you) twist these things into some huge deal about "censorship", when I would respect it more if people were just upfront about the fact that they wanted to see the fanservice instead of making it some grand crusade.

Last edited:

BlackLagoon

Oct 25, 2017
Well, that one example posted earlier had Sony force the dev to censor a bikini and bellybutton. That would make any sort of reasonable depiction of a contemporary beach or tropical resort a potential minefield of infractions should a game draw Sony's so far seemingly arbitrary ire.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because Cero don't have anything to do with anime, manga and movies. Movies have their own rating company which the big 4 have to deal with, anime have the TV broadcaster (if not going for ONA or OVA which aren't the majority) and manga have the editorial and the publisher of the material to decide what can be allowed in their magazine or not (which in some cases can appear in volumes like women nipples for shounen magazines which for many of the cases don't allow them on the magazine itself)
I get that Cero is the reason Japanese console games will never feature even an exposed nipple. What I don't get is why Cero won't permit that while late night anime, anime movies, and shines anime in the 80s and 90s in prime time routenly feature full frontal nudity in non explicit sexual scenes? Why can't games have the occasional scene like some rated M western games do? What's this double standard with videogames here? That they're still for children? That didn't stop A multitude of so called "kids" anime shows to show boobs!

Again, forget the fanservice-y VN games. I'm talking about not even triple A Japanese games being able to feature nudity. If Cyberpunk 2077 can have nudity in a gameplay preview why can't, say, Death Stranding or Resident Evil 7?

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Well, that one example posted earlier had Sony force the dev to censor a bikini and bellybutton. That would make any sort of reasonable depiction of a contemporary beach or tropical resort a potential minefield of infractions should a game draw Sony's so far seemingly arbitrary ire.

I would hope there's a clear difference between people wearing a bikini at a beach normally, and being posed like that, staring at the player, with the bikini untied and just draped over their body.

I do think all the "sunlight" or whatever is a bit much too, for what it's worth.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Censorship sucks balls which is why i am quite happy that Ninty seems to not censor their recent product which is a hugeeee improvement over that era.

But at least Nintendo when doing censorship. They are censoring product they publish or produced. While in this case, sony is even censoring 3rd party product that is not out of their hand which is insane.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I get that Cero is the reason Japanese console games will never feature even an exposed nipple. What I don't get is why Cero won't permit that while late night anime, anime movies, and shines anime in the 80s and 90s in prime time routenly feature full frontal nudity in non explicit sexual scenes? Why can't games have the occasional scene like some rated M western games do? What's this double standard with videogames here? That they're still for children? That didn't stop A multitude of so called "kids" anime shows to show boobs!

Again, forget the fanservice-y VN games. I'm talking about not even triple A Japanese games being able to feature nudity. If Cyberpunk 2077 can have nudity in a gameplay preview why can't, say, Death Stranding or Resident Evil 7?

Because like I said, CERO don't have relation to any of those media and there's other companies doing it for those. They only do ratings and control of video game much like ESRB and PEGI.

I don't know the motives for why it's like that but it is what it is. If cero wasn't involved, maybe you would see the same, who knows. Otherwise, each media has it's own rules since there's different companies involved.

BlackLagoon

Oct 25, 2017
I would hope there's a clear difference between people wearing a bikini at a beach normally, and being posed like that, staring at the player, with the bikini untied and just draped over their body.
In Europe at least it's hardly uncommon for women untie their top when sunbathing to avoid tanlines on their back. And who knows where Sony draws the line. It certainly seems very prudish to me to draw the line at that (even the bellybutton was too much). And, assuming this isn't just an policy targeting "anime" art.. Well, I certainly could see a similar scene being very appropriate in tropical slasher movie pastiche in the vein of Until Dawn.

I do think all the "sunlight" or whatever is a bit much too, for what it's worth.
The beams were presumably not mandated, but likely a result of the dev not having the time/resources to make custom art for the PS4 port.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

There's no rating board/system in Japan for TV as far as I know. That stuff is handled by each broadcast station and their own rules and guidelines for what is and isn't okay. Manga I believe is similar in this regard as it's up to the publishers. For movies, they do have a rating system, Eirin, and it's modeled after the MPAA.

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
Just saw a thread on Chinese forum (Chinese only) stating that the "Purification" system in Mary Skelter 2 Chinese version is deleted. Localization company said it is deleted due to Sony's request. The game is rated 18+ in local rating.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
They should just skip over the God Rays and just show a black screen with "censored" or "scene missing" or something :/

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
Why can't games have the occasional scene like some rated M western games do? What's this double standard with videogames here? That they're still for children?

Trust that swaths of the actual purchasing market still believe all video games are toys, judging by the parents and grandparents who happily buy GTA/RDR/COD for their sub-10 year olds.

I don't have the quote handy but I do tend to agree with the poster that it feels disingenuous when folks arguing against this take a moral imperative stance of "but censorship!" or argue a slippery slope (did Walmart demanding a different Catherine cover or Gamestop refusing to merchandise Record of Agarest War on the shelf decimate selling games with that kind of cover? Not so much.) It can be frustrating to see, but it is ultimately "cheesecake," so it sits better to talk about it in a way that feels more honest and less like a checklist (for example, the "bones" comparison images.)

Ultimately this sits for me right next to Twitch torpedoing Robert Yang's games all the time.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Just saw a thread on Chinese forum (Chinese only) stating that the "Purification" system in Mary Skelter 2 Chinese version is deleted. Localization company said it is deleted due to Sony's request. The game is rated 18+ in local rating.

yeah, glad I don't support Sony anymore. My PS+ subs ran out, and the last PS4 game I bought was Girls Und Panzer: Dream Tank Match. That's fine by me. (It was really fun!)

Just me voting with my wallet won't change anything, but maybe others will join. Go to Steam, like me. Gaben opened the gates for all kinds of things. Even uncut VN's. It's nice having a choice. It's nice being able to pick and choose content for myself.

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
yeah, glad I don't support Sony anymore. My PS+ subs ran out, and the last PS4 game I bought was Girls Und Panzer: Dream Tank Match. That's fine by me. (It was really fun!)

Just me voting with my wallet won't change anything, but maybe others will join. Go to Steam, like me. Gaben opened the gates for all kinds of things. Even uncut VN's. It's nice having a choice. It's nice being able to pick and choose content for myself.
Yes, it is quite a sight that Sony is going back to censorship when Steam pretty much allows everything. While the policy does not affect me much (still don't have a PS4 lol), I am afraid this may affect those small VN developers in Japan when many of them are already in desperate conditions. Steam provides a great opportunity for them to publish their games on a global platform unlike DMM and DLsite. Both developers and consumers win. Personally I sometimes import physical VNs from Japan, but I will probably start buying them on steam as they are much cheaper there.

BTW, glad you like the GuP game. The anime (especially the first movie!) is awesome. I have watched the whole series for multiple times lol.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Looking back, I do find it funny that the only respose from Sony (even if it is from customer service) won't be applicable in the future, as these new guidelines would be affecting all regions and most likely all console versions going forward. Kinda contradictory in a way, as they are all now the same version.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Looking back, I do find it funny that the only respose from Sony (even if it is from customer service) won't be applicable in the future, as these new guidelines would be affecting all regions and most likely all console versions going forward. Kinda contradictory in a way, as they are all now the same version.

Sadly seems like there won't be any more of a response from Sony. Gaming outlets aren't reporting on any of this and since it will just affect more niche Japanese devs and games backlash isn't going to affect much, and if Sony gave a shit about smaller devs this wouldn't be happening especially not the way it is

Sony wanting censorship in 2018 and everyone is quiet...

Bayouswampman

Banned
Oct 27, 2018
Sadly seems like there won't be any more of a response from Sony. Gaming outlets aren't reporting on any of this and since it will just affect more niche Japanese devs and games backlash isn't going to affect much, and if Sony gave a shit about smaller devs this wouldn't be happening especially not the way it is

Sony wanting censorship in 2018 and everyone is quiet...

I think this will come back to bite them when they get around to the PS5. The PS4 came out at a time when Nintendo and Microsoft were both being rather dumb about platforms and Sony was essentially able to swoop in and say look at us not being those fools. Microsoft has been killing it lately trying to win back the audience and Sony is deliberating throwing away the one big advantage they had over Xbox that being Japanese third party support. Theres only so many times Sony can keep drinking from the "cinematic walking feels simulator" well and I feel its probably close to drying up after TLoU2. After that what else has Sony got? I cant imagine Ghost of Tsushima or Days Gone are gonna do nearly as well as people think they will.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
What is there to report by mainstream media? Sony has blocked two games in the west, both contain sexualized (fictional) minors and one of them was even banned in several countries for it. Both games also contains what can be described as sexual assault against women who say "no" or similar from what I understand.

What goes on in Japan is unknown and has so far seemingly only hit R18 visual novels from what I understand. One testimonial said they had to fill something out in English but there is no cold hard evidence that this is some present or future standard.

Where is the scandal to IGN readers? (and no, I do not mean to imply that I think Sony is doing anything right with this post)

Last edited:

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
What is there to report by mainstream media? Sony has blocked two games in the west, both contain sexualized (fictional) minors and one of them was even banned in several countries for it. Both games also contains what can be described as sexual assault against women who say "no" or similar from what I understand.

What goes on in Japan is unknown and has so far seemingly only hit R18 visual novels from what I understand. One testimonial said they had to fill something out in English.

Where is the scandal to IGN readers? (and no, I do not mean to imply that I think Sony is doing anything right with this post)

Not respecting rating boards anymore and thinking they need to decide themselves, awful additional hurdle for smaller Jp developers to just release games in Japan on Ps4, communication seemingly being so bad with Sony that everything takes forever and a dev even felt the need to start a petition about this whole thing

A policy that as a whole no one actually benefits from but will be a financial burden for smaller devs or in the case of SK will lose the devs money.