Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Nothing stops these companies or Plstinum to mske a deal to do a sequel for one of these or even buy the rights with all the tencent money.
It's exceptionally rare for one company to buy a whole IP from another. W101 is an extremely odd case that only came about because of how important it was to Kamiya while simultaneously being the biggest flop of all time and completely worthless to Nintendo.

And I definitely agree they could still partner with other studios in the future, but these were all announcements related to self-published games.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly though, the joke is just lame.
Capcom at least releases a game. Platinum went "these are 4 things we will announce" months in advance, with new game and studio announcement. Now going "hahaa you thought we would actually announce 4 things?" Is just...dumb?

Its also putting a real damper on chances to get another funding going. They didnt just troll gamers with this nonsense.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Given the current climate today, im not really keen or corny april 1 jokes, I rather take a good news platinum or just shut up.

PillFencer

Banned
Nov 15, 2018
The sad thing about this I don't even care much about Platinum Games nowadays. What were the other three games announced?
1. The Wonderful 101: Remastered (their first self-published title, Switch/Steam/PS4)
2. Project G.G. (their first own original IP, Hideki Kamiya, Ultraman inspired, "all platforms")
3. New Tokyo studio, looking to develop GaaS
4. ?

Honestly though, the joke is just lame.
Capcom at least releases a game. Platinum went "these are 4 things we will announce" months in advance, with new game and studio announcement. Now going "hahaa you thought we would actually announce 4 things?" Is just...dumb?

Its also putting a real damper on chances to get another funding going. They didnt just troll gamers with this nonsense.
It's very unlikely that there isn't more to it.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's exceptionally rare for one company to buy a whole IP from another. W101 is an extremely odd case that only came about because of how important it was to Kamiya while simultaneously being the biggest flop of all time and completely worthless to Nintendo.

And I definitely agree they could still partner with other studios in the future, but these were all announcements related to self-published games.
Okami is also important to Kamiya tho. :/

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I respect Platinum for their dedication to the long con but that's just mean lol

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
1. The Wonderful 101: Remastered (their first self-published title, Switch/Steam/PS4)
2. Project G.G. (their first original IP, Hideki Kamiya, Ultraman inspired, "all platforms")
4. ?

It's very unlikely that there isn't more to it.
I wouldnt get my hopes up tbh.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
lmaooo what

undoubtedly a stupid joke but kind of hilarious

The irony is i thought they were making fun of the Metroid Prime 4 announcement with the logo in the OP. So in a way it's all reflective

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Okami is also important to Kamiya tho. :/
It's important to Capcom too though. In Japan anywhere that sells Capcom merch will have universally have Okami stuff and they were trying to fund a sequel recently, though last we heard about it was that it at least temporarily fell through unfortunately.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nothing stops these companies or Plstinum to mske a deal to do a sequel for one of these or even buy the rights with all the tencent money.
those IPs range from huge to medium, and are still making their respective companies money. i really doubt "the tencent money" is enough for them to go around buying back the IPs they've worked on or fund sequels to those games. anything regarding those will be funded/published/announced by the company who owns them.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
I don't get it. They hyped the hell out of these announcements only to finish on a lame joke and the only thing worth talking about was a port of W101.

What's up with their marketing team?

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Validation in seeing petty people suffer, I'd guess.

Normal, well-adjusted people: Aw, the much-hyped announcement from a fan favorite developer was just an April Fools Joke after all? Dang, too bad!
You: lol, petty people suffering

Yeah...they are the petty ones.

tenor.gif

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I don't get it. They hyped the hell out of these announcements only to finish on a lame joke and the only thing worth talking about was a port of W101.

What's up with their marketing team?
Hold on, a new Kamiya game is hardly not worth talking about. Project GG was by far the biggest of the four announcements (... so far, until the real fourth game drops)

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's important to Capcom too though. In Japan anywhere that sells Capcom merch will have universally have Okami stuff and they were trying to fund a sequel recently, though last we heard about it was that it at least temporarily fell through unfortunately.
Yeah I know, wprst gaming news in years for me.
those IPs range from huge to medium, and are still making their respective companies money. i really doubt "the tencent money" is enough for them to go around buying back the IPs they've worked on or fund sequels to those games. anything regarding those will be funded/published/announced by the company who owns them.
Hm I guess. Not that anyone would like to buy Okami anyway lol.
Oh well...
Man after the meh direct I was kinda looking forward to this.

Oct 25, 2017
That would be a brilliant troll move by PG if their big fourth announcement they planned back in February was an April Fool's joke. I imagine there's going to be more.

PG doesn't own The Wonderful 101. Anything they're asked about it they always say "no comment". My theory is that Nintendo still owns it, but for the sake of releasing it on other consoles and keeping all the talk of Bayo 2 and other Nintendo titles going to other platforms to a minimum, they're staying silent. Though, this hasn't stopped the people claiming Bayo 2 and 3 is coming to PC and PS4.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
2. Project G.G. (their first own original IP, Hideki Kamiya, Ultraman inspired, "all platforms")
4. ?

A GaaS?... Damn I thought the bottom had fallen out of that market. Didn't Ubisoft delay almost all of their games to retool them away from GaaS after disastrous financial results after leaning too heavy on that model?

May 21, 2018
Announcing an April Fools joke many days in advance hyping up people?

Fuck off Platinum, fuck off.

Something tells me they "might" have decided to postpone their planned reveal. I just cannot fathom why they'd string their (admittedly small, but somewhat vocal) internet fanbase along in such a manner. It just doesn't add up. 🤔

May 21, 2018
for future reference and to avoid more heartbreak, some thing to keep in mind:

madworld/vanquish/bayonetta 1&2&3/anarchy reigns/astral chain/MGR/nier/okami/viewtiful joe/etc, these games are sega/konami/nintendo/capcom/square enix games. PG is not in a position to announce ports or sequels or do new announcements regarding those games.

Correct (as usual). Throw in TMNT Mutants in Manhattan, Legend of Korra, ie Platinum's Activision stuff too (to be technical).

May 21, 2018
I'm still not convinced that they aren't going to reveal something. Certain insiders even alluded to the existence of another project (that's not Project GG).

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
... What? We finally got one of their best games, The Wonderful 101, on something else than a dead platform, with enhanced performance which it desperately needed, as well as a new game by one of the most influential directors ever, Hideki Kamiya, with a very promising premise. Game developers finally getting more freedom in game design since they're getting into self-publishing, owning their own IPs and also growing with a new studio. This is great for Platinum fans.

Also there is probably still a real 4th announcement, we know they have another new IP in development.
Yeah i guess if they do have another ip in development right now it doesn't matter when they announce it but it just makes this whole Platinum four thing a mean joke

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
Platinum seem a bit lost at the moment. Kinda worried about them a lot really. If this '4' campaign was supposed to showcase how creative and awesome Platinum is, its kind of failed and made them look like a smaller deal than they were in the past.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
If I was a company planning a april fools joke I would have canceled it if a global pandemic happened, but what do I know